Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

david_a posted:

What's also amazing is every other idea they had for the movie was actually far worse than the final product. I think William Gibson's script is the one mentioned earlier with Space Russians. The aliens become an airborne infection in that one. And they can infect androids. Because reasons.
I think the "Aliens become an infection" script was Eric Red's, which was set on a Midwest-style farm that happened to be in a giant bubble in space with military/Umbrella Corporation labs under it for some reason. The infection eventually spread to inanimate objects, so IIRC we ended up with a xeno-space station. That was after xeno-pigs. And xeno-chickens.

They should just see if Jim Cameron's got any more unmade scripts lying around that he could reskin into Alien movies, like he did with Mother. That turned out okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Baronjutter posted:

Anyways, surprised to hear defense of AvP:R in this thread!
It's SMG. AVPR is one of his touchstone movies; if it's mentioned three times in a thread, he pops up like the Candyman. See also Battle: Los Angeles.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Hodgepodge posted:

Then the two people in charge go off to gently caress each other instead of staying in contact with the scientists (who smoke some weed).
But you've clearly missed the point, they're supposed to be gently caress-ups! Hoh hoh hoh hoh hnoooghhhhh! [quaffs brandy]

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The DVD of AVPR was hosed up to the point of unwatchability, whatever your opinion of the movie itself. Even the daytime scenes look like day-for-night, and once it gets dark there are entire scenes that are just black with faint moving highlights. As someone said above, even cranking up your TV's brightness doesn't really help because there's hardly anything there to work with in the first place. It's one of the most botched pieces of encoding I've ever seen. AVP was hardly a great movie, but at least you could see what was going on (even if that was bullet-time facehuggers).

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Alhazred posted:

Harlan Ellison would disagree with that.
"Having no money at the time, I had no choice but to agree to the settlement. Of course there was a gag order as well, so I couldn't tell this story, but now frankly I don't care. It's the truth. Harlan Ellison is a parasite who can kiss my rear end." - James Cameron

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ships today can be scuttled if necessary (the Nostromo's destruct system is even labelled 'Scuttle' somewhere). Having a way to do the same thing in a spaceship isn't really a stretch (although blowing it up in a megaton nuclear explosion is slight overkill).

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Maybe the crew's there to fend off space pirates.

Tom Hanks Skerritt is "Captain Dallas".

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It's stated on screen that there's a standard procedure that any possible alien transmissions have to be investigated (the "no money" scene), and that Mother changed course to make the crew do so. That Ash replaced the Nostromo's previous science officer before departure and was given Special Order 937 to obtain an alien at any cost (they're not interested in the Derelict, only the life form) makes it pretty clear that the Company had some idea of what was out there and how dangerous - and valuable to them - it was.

As to how "complicit" Mother is, she lets Ripley see the Ash's-eyes-only SO937 and identifies the signal as a warning once Ripley takes over the analysis from Ash, so who knows, maybe she was still trying to help as best she could...

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I think the idea that some people think the Company randomly replaces crew members with amoral androids as an HR exercise and has secret standing orders to pick up any alien life form they happen to find (what, including protozoa?), even if this means sacrificing crew and incredibly expensive starships and their cargo, is the true existential horror.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The big problem with Prometheus was that on the one hand you had Scott tossing out random crazy ideas (remember "Jesus was an Engineer"?), and on the other a hack like Damon Lindelof was assigned to put them all together in something acceptable to the studio. Lindelof is one of JJ Abrams' acolytes, and Abrams' loving "Mystery Box" schtick is a cancer that's infected way too many movies. Something doesn't make sense? Where's your sense of wonder, square, it's meant to be a mystery! :iiam:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

CHALLENGE:

Now that you have gotten the memes out of your system, continue writing about Lindelof's style. What more can you tell us about his style of writing? Maybe compare his style to that of another writer. Can you accomplish this?
You are Damon Lindelof and I claim my five pounds.

Edit: wait, it's a meme that Lindelof is a lovely writer? Dammit, I was actually in on the ground floor of this one and didn't even know it.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 9, 2016

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The whole theme of hubris in Prometheus would have been a lot more effective if the crew had been written as the best in their field and still brought about their own doom because of their all-too-human arrogance, rather than a bunch of hopeless bumblefucks with the survival instincts of toddlers.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Basebf555 posted:

I'm hoping there won't ever be a scene where we literally see the derelict from Alien land on LV-426, but I guess that's what the fans want so we probably will get just that.
Fans ruin everything.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

oldpainless posted:

I hope David finds a book by the engineers and spends most of the movie decoding t
On page 1, it says "It's ternary, not trinary, dickwad" and David goes into a massive android sulk for three hundred years.

Then when he finally turns the page again, it says "Quadrilogy isn't even a real word!" and his next sulk is even longer.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SUNKOS posted:

Trailer just passed classification and clocks in at just over two minutes. Couple new images released as well.

Hope they're in zero-g, because gently caress sleeping standing up for months on end!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MacheteZombie posted:

would you even know?
Do you need to be hit by a bus to know it's not good for you?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tenzarin posted:

So the spores are from the unused Alien 3 script.
Eric Red receives a surprise cheque marked "Payment for Chicken Alien idea."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Baronjutter posted:

I always wondered in the alien universe if they've encountered other life before. Is the alien a huge deal because it's the first time they've encountered aliens of any sort, the first time they encountered an alien civiliation?
You remember the Arcturian poontang, right?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ferro's sarcastic "Apparently, she saw an alien once" (and Hudson's dismissive rejoinder) could be taken to mean that discovering extraterrestrial life became commonplace in the past 57 years. Finding alien life in the Nostromo's era was a big loving deal; after dozens of planets had been explored and even colonised, much less so. Kind of like Fry going to "the Moon Moon?!?"

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 30, 2016

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
How the gently caress does a facehugger facehug a mantis? (And would it produce a thoraxburster?)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Lord Krangdar posted:

In the actual movie can you see the human skull in its head at all?
I think there are a couple of shots where you can kinda-sorta see a hint of some detail underneath the cowl, but generally, nope: it's just a big steel-toothed bell-end.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

married but discreet posted:

That line of thinking leads down the dark path towards the 2000AD cinematic universe.
Well, pretty much everything that Pat Mills ever wrote for 2000AD has turned out to be linked, however much retconning and crowbarring it took. Nemesis, ABC Warriors, Ro-Busters, Invasion and Savage are all explicitly in the same timeline, and I'm pretty sure that Finn was linked as well, which brings in Crisis's Third World War, while the existence of Satanus the T-Rex and his familial line in Nemesis pulls in Flesh and Judge Dredd. Once Dredd gets involved that also brings in additional crossovers with Strontium Dog (which by extension includes Durham Red), Rogue Trooper, Harlem Heroes (plus Halo Jones, Fiends of the Eastern Front and even loving Ace Trucking thanks to 'Helter Skelter'), Batman, Lobo, Predator and, yep, Aliens.

Y'know, I could cope with that.

(Also, the short story Shok! - which was set in Dredd's universe - being ripped off for the movie Hardware, resulting in a lawsuit and later acknowledgement of its origins, sort of adds that film too.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The Art and Making of
A L I E N
Covenant

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"You have the right to remain silent... forever" is the best tagline. Predator 2's is still up there, though.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

alf_pogs posted:

can't we come together in love for the film Congo
A movie with Bruce Campbell, Joe Don Baker and Ernie Hudson, featuring a killer hippo and evil mutant gorillas being blasted by lasers inside King Solomon's Mines? How could anyone not?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Neo Rasa posted:

Ironically, the Auriga in Alien Resurrection canonically has a full hydroponics garden and farm on it with a ton of fresh beans/plants/etc. but they didn't have the budget/time to actually film the scene they wanted to in it. It would have been a running retreat from a bunch of the remaining aliens through the garden that would have happened between the underwater scene and right before Ripley got captured.
Eh, The Black Hole did it first.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
At the time, critics complained about the robots in The Black Hole being too 'cute', but considering the way that robot design has gone in the past four decades, Vincent and Bob are probably on the low end of the scale.

For all its faults, the film's got some great visuals, and the bit with Perkins and the 'robot' absolutely terrified me as a kid.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
There's also a Wrath Of Khan reference tossed in there too.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Does it have a lot of vehicular homicide in it?
No, but it does have chicken and pig xenos!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: Am I the only one saddened by how batshit insane over the top the Riddick universe is, if only because Pitch Black was so grounded it could have easily been in the same universe as a rival corporation?
No, the dissonance of setting between Pitch Black and Riddick bugged me too. It felt like going from near-future space truckers to Warhammer 40K.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Xenomrph posted:

You're 20 years too late.

Ha, guess Fox weren't as strict with comics licencees back then. Henry Flint, artist on the Judge Dredd/Aliens crossover, said he was given a long list of things he wasn't allowed to do with the aliens, including mocking them in any way. The example he gave was that if one got hit, he couldn't draw stars spinning around its head. :wtc:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The moment one review was oddly specific about the number of frozen colonists and human embryos on the Covenant, it made me go "Oh god, they're going to say that they get turned into the eggs Kane finds in the first film, aren't they?" Yay or nay?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

well why not posted:

It's pretty funny that David discovers a planet full of intelligent life, an entirely new culture and (I believe) one of the only non-human races in the universe (please don't start arguing about Arcturians) and he bio-nukes it instantly.
But their DNA was 100% human! :v:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

nexus6 posted:

Parts I liked

The first act does a great job of setting a space horror movie (apart from the whole 'Oh wow, there's a much better planet than the one we were going to, we can tell from the scans we just did of it. Guess we just missed it when we scanned this sector!)

"Now we're here, should we orbit the planet a few times, map it, and get an idea of the best places to land?"
"Nah, just go straight down into the clouds and fly around at random, I'm sure something'll turn up. It's only fuel we're burning, after all."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Neo Rasa posted:

"Micro-changes in air density."
My rear end.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

K. Waste posted:

the alien was always just one element of an entire film that was released 38 years ago.
The element the entire film was named after, admittedly.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Clipperton posted:

Why does the UPP boarding vessel look exactly like a Colonial Marines dropship? Spitting mad already
Same way the Buran looks remarkably like the Shuttle or the Tu-144 like Concorde: commie spies stole the plans. :haw:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I was shocked when Ricco Ross revealed in the I Was There Too podcast that R. Frost's first name is Robert.
Well, he did end in fire.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I always have to wonder how exactly these writers get these jobs? I mean, I don't think Fox puts out fuckin' job postings for Alien book writers, do they?

(if they do, send one my way, please)
A combination of 'who you know' and 'established author who might be interested in side work for cash'. I've written a movie tie-in novel (I knew the commissioning editor through my journalism work) and was later offered the chance to write an Uncharted book, but didn't have time because I was busy with my own novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

SimonCat posted:

Also has Sean Connery paired with a woman his own age.
And Cliff from Cheers exploding.