Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Xenomrph posted:

first episode post-credits scene, Hawley gives Ridley Scott a swirlie in a toilet and then shouts “David didn’t create poo poo” before walking away in disgust. He locks eyes with the camera and says “Canon.”

That'd be pretty :chloe: but at least it'd have more personality than we're actually gonna get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I think Scott and co stated they were the same universe once or twice, off handedly not like, strictly. But even if that matters, the aesthetic and thematic compatibility is what really seals the deal imo

David is objectively a more sophisticated a creature than Batty; he doesn't have to rebel against his father to kill him, he's smart enough to accomplish it entirely within his strict orders & programming! This isn't to downplay Batty's admirable accomplishment, only to note how difficult and traumatic it is for him. Before we meet him he had to first break through his own false memories of being human! David never breaks a milky sweat, and likely knew immediately upon meeting Weyland that it was a simple matter of bringing this pompous twit to the appointed place.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

It's been awhile since I've seen BR but I'm pretty sure all replicants have fake memories. Y'know, for stability. How would they function in their roles (soldier, labourer, sex worker, etc) otherwise? They can successfully navigate Los Angeles despite being outlawed on earth, which implies all kinds of knowledge and "learned" behaviors, but they didn't actually live that lifetime of experience to draw upon - they're literally only a few years old! It also explains their idiosyncrasies, like Leon knowing what a turtle is but not a tortoise. Neither of which is essential for a dock worker to know, especially one designed to only live as long as a hamster.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Hmm, that does sound like something Deckard and Tyrell discuss. drat, perhaps my memory is fake lol

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Think of it as an excuse to rewatch a very good movie (and find more reasons to incorporate it with Alien if that’s your thing). :hfive:

And let's not forget PWS Anderson's Soldier!

If you don't mind/have the time Xeno, I'm curious to why you consider David more primitive than the replicants. Batty & Rachel et al certainly seem more human than David but I'm not sure that would qualify them as more advanced or refined

Blood Boils posted:

It's been awhile since I've seen BR but I'm pretty sure all replicants have fake memories. Y'know, for stability. How would they function in their roles (soldier, labourer, sex worker, etc) otherwise? They can successfully navigate Los Angeles despite being outlawed on earth, which implies all kinds of knowledge and "learned" behaviors, but they didn't actually live that lifetime of experience to draw upon - they're literally only a few years old! It also explains their idiosyncrasies, like Leon knowing what a turtle is but not a tortoise. Neither of which is essential for a dock worker to know, especially one designed to only live as long as a hamster.

Reconsidering, these attributes could easily be due to their experiences in the colonies, however brief. Though they would obviously wake up with all kinds of knowledge, since after all they can speak fluently and don't have time for extensive training. But no, they don't have memories of someone else's life.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Replicants aren't actually less emotional. The VK test is basically phrenology. It's a "scientific test" used to declare an entire category of people unpeople. Deckard might be a replicant, but that's not why Rachael asks him if he's ever taken the test.

It's absolutely important thematically that we never see anyone pass the test, as well as a good joke. The implication is that no one passes, hence Leon's panic. He can't escape the shape of his skull!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

The photo of Kitten Jones is just a hint that Ripley is synthetic

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

MO-TH-UR wasn't malicious or under any kind of company directive, she was just malfunctioning because Jones kept pissing all over the consol in the yellow light room.

Which he did on the explicit orders of Jim! :argh:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Alvarez's Evil Dead remake had some fun parts but overall was only ok

Never saw don't breathe

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

General Battuta posted:

Not reading any spoilers but I hope it's connected to Covenant somehow......it's me, I'm the latter day Ridley liker

:cheers: comrade, but we shouldn't get our hopes up.

The teaser is giving me 'contemporary Alien/Aliens remake' vibes but it's too early to tell tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Pfffh BluRay :rolleyes: true superfans have the alien legacy VHS ina shoebox somewhere