Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't consider Alien 3 to be a bad movie, but I don't think I ever really accepted the premise because I never believed that Ripley's character arc required a third act. The final scene of her and Newt sleeping together in the pod at the conclusion of Aliens was a perfect ending for the character in a better movie, so the entirety of Alien 3 has always felt like a ponderous and unnecessary epilogue to me. I feel like the Alien series in general has kind of lost its way by repeatedly and tortuously returning to the Ripley character, although I guess the non-Ripley Alien properties haven't fared much better, on balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Renny Harlin is redeemed in my eyes for directing The Long Kiss Goodnight.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's a good thing Prometheus did all that already, so we don't need to wonder.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Prometheus was a cutting edge research vessel, the Nostromo was a basically a freight train in space. That's a really odd thing to fixate on.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

The only thing I'm worried about re: Blomkamp is if he tries to pander too hard to the Aliens fandom. I've always thought people losing their poo poo over Hicks/Newt dying was unbelievably infantile, but hey I can understand not liking the overall direction that 3 went in.

But if they put Hicks and Newt in this new film let's just loving end this miserable world once and for all.

Yeah. I'm not thrilled about the direction that Alien 3 went in, but I wouldn't want the deaths of Newt/Hicks to be magically reversed, now that it's out there. I just mostly wish they would dare to do an Alien movie without Ripley in it, but that is evidently not gonna happen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

There's nothing magical about it, it's a movie, they are fictional characters. There is no innate, sensical reason to default to treating a nearly 40 year old series of monster movies like it's some kind of exhaustive future history that must be rigidly consistent across all iterations and media platforms, or force anyone trying to write something interesting about it to first work around every terrible or just plain narratively inconvenient idea some guy had in ye olden dayes, except that that's how Star Wars does it, and Star Wars is terrible for this exact reason. There's nothing especially vital to the basic idea of an Aliens movie in the least remembered movie going "Note: Poochie died on his way back to his home planet".

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a movie to have at least some kind of logical narrative connection to previous entries in the series, which have up to this point maintained a consistent and connected narrative. A movie that promotes itself partly on the world that has been created for it should at least attempt to dwell within that same world, or else what's the point really? I don't care that much either way because nothing about the new Alien project particularly excites me. I do think you illustrate the inherent problem of when a franchise tortuously returns to the same characters because they've totally run out of ideas. You see the same thing going on with Terminator and, to a certain extent, the new Jurassic Park.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

If he kills them off like ten minutes in it will be the greatest movie ever made.

He should unceremoniously kill Ripley off in the first five minutes instead.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The mainline Alien movies are very much defined by their directors. Like you could watch the first three films in the series and get a very good sense of the same themes and techniques that Scott, Cameron, and Fincher would return to again and again in their careers. And whatever the hell Jeunet was going for.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Scariest thing to me about the original Alien design was the double set of almost human-like teeth. Human teeth on non-human things will always be creepy. I guess the reason why the Alien continues to frighten audiences is that it has so many combined features that are unsettling to people.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I never really felt like the backstory with Ripley's daughter was necessary to establish the parent-child relationship she has with Newt. I think I was probably 12 or 13 when I saw Aliens for the first time and when Ripley comes out with the mecha suit and says "get away from her you BITCH" even my dumb teenage self was like, "oh yeah uh-huh, I get what you're trying to do, movie."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think for many it's not the fact that they died, but that it was done in an offscreen, "Hicks died on the way back to his home planet" kind of way that was very obviously because they didn't want to bring those characters back for the third movie. I love Sigourney Weaver as an actress and I appreciate her characteristic weirdness that she's brought to the Alien franchise but I just wish they'd stop tortuously returning to the Ripley character and let the series do its own thing.