Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

There's nothing I' d enjoy more than a three page derail about Prometheus( I watched it again this weekend, FYI its still amazing), but I think I'm probably the only one. I never get tired of discussing that film.

Lots of people including me think it's awesome. I like the visual design and the ideas quite a bit but I don't get tripped up in things like the map-maker being lost or Idris Elba not getting convincing dialogue, as those to me are secondary to the spectacle. Ditto Interstellar and the power of love, which also drew a lot of ire from here.

To me, the whole "a space SOS means any ship even if it's crewed by 7 space truckers must stop and investigate" to be an exceedingly stupid concept to kick off the franchise to begin with, but it doesn't stop Alien from looking great and having some fun ideas and being scary. Prometheus had its own balancing act there as well. The med pod scene in particular was wonderful even given the complaints about her running right after a c-section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I can understand where you're coming from, but it parallels how the humans compare to David (?) the android, their life-creation. In real life most depictions of the fancy new perfect AI we model our robots after smaller versions of ourselves, in our own image. I liked it because I suspect that, once we figure out how, we'll absolutely want to seed planets with things genetically similar to ourselves. But the movie does not depict the engineers as glorious gods whatsoever - the one we see is a short-tempered fuckup who dies shortly after awakening, and all his pals died too. It doesn't really address any godly questions - if it maintains the aura of mystery, the engineers are just less-haired apes that encountered alien horrors beyond their reckoning, too. They weren't supposed to be space gods.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Chappie was "ok", I wish they went with the alternate ending instead. And also they could of had more combat for Chappie and less "We gotta do the HEIST, MAN".

What was the alternate ending?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Main thing I remember from Alien 4 is a fairly horrific "pinhole vacuum" death for the newborn that made me feel kinda bad for it. That and Weaver making a cool backward one-hand basketball shot in one take.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I named our girl cat Ripley in honor of Alien. But everyone thinks it's because of Believe It or Not. No cultural respect.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

JeffLeonard posted:

Won't watch T3 or Salvation because he heard they're awful (they are).

Loved Genisys.

likes Alien Resurrection.

Interesting boundaries for 'I've heard it's awful so I won't watch it' here.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Pretty much the latter.

There was a scripted scene in 'Alien' where, when hunting for the chestburster, Ripley, Brett, and Parker find that the Nostromo's food stores have been torn into and everything has been eaten.

Wanna see the alien with dorito crumbs on its mouths

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The alien can be smart without being some kind of perfect tactician. Humans are smart and we torture and kill pointlessly and tear the wings off flies and squish ants. Why assume alien species would be any different?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I liked the opening of Predators with Brody just waking up in midair falling into the jungle, and smashing to the title. Also the scene where they see a panorama of moons and realize they aren't on earth. The use of red flares for light in Fishburne's lair also led to some pretty shots. Enjoyed it more than expected and much more than 2.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It should've focused more on Ripley suddenly being super good at basketball just in time for the Space Finals, but will her Alien blood allow her to play?

Electromax fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 21, 2016

Electromax
May 6, 2007
50 has acted in stuff before, he's about as capable an actor as half the dudes in Predator 1. I'd be surprised if he's gonna be the lead. It'll probably be about as unmemorable as Common in T4 at worst, he's pretty charismatic when he tries to be.

Of course, they're also dragging Arnold out for more. 70 is the new 50 in hollywood.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

I don't think that's actually true

It's as true as "Originals are also, as a general rule subject to exceptions, not very good."

OLD PEOPLE CAN'T ACT IN MOVIES is weird. They don't have to write her doing backflips and wrestling a queen by the snout. Old people can still shoot guns. Plus there aren't enough horror movies starring an older woman - it could be its own thing. She's only 66, sheesh. My parents are that age and I just played basketball/ping pong with my dad for 5 hours last weekend and the next day he tore up a bunch of concrete tiles from the back patio. It's about the age Gandalf was in the LotR movies, I think.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Primer was a good thought-provoker but I think I would've just rather read it as a book.

Liked Ex Machina and Attack the Block, for other ones unmentioned. ATB isn't 'hard' scifi like some of these others though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Cool, just like they super spoiler David being an android for Prometheus. This is Ridley's punch in James Cameron's face! It's an Aliens remake.

For as much as you hate Prometheus, you might just wanna ignore this movie from the get-go - you'll save yourself months of pre-, during- and post- release agitation.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I heard there was a cut where the movie was actually good ehehehehehehehehrheh

He means a non-theatrical cut.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I always liked the whole concept of the towed refinery parking in space above a planet for a while, like to indigenous species we'd look like the mothership from Independence Day. That thing was huge.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them posting about each other for a goddamn percentage.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Jenner posted:

I don't remember any of this.
I have watched Alien Resurrection and walked out of Prometheus.

Well there's yer problem. You got them backwards.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Darkness Falls was that Tooth Fairy one right? It had its moments when I saw it in the theater, I remember liking the opening. We caught it on TV a year or two back though and yeah, didn't watch for long.

I have Lights Out on our list to watch, that looks kinda similar in concept.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
In the intro to The Dark Knight you can see the camera helicopter reflected in the building that gets the window blown out I think, my old roommate used to annoyingly point it out whenever it came on.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Ixian posted:

I watch the SE I wonder why it wasn't the theatrical cut (all of it).

Only part I thought was better left out was the colony scenes with Newt before the landing. I think it takes away some of the tension/surprise in the initial landing & Newt encounter later. The rest was good though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Ixian posted:

Scott is one of the worlds most maddeningly inconsistent directors who can veer from greatness to what-was-he-thinking on the drop of a dime

To some extent I think you're gonna get that from most artists who put out this much stuff, unless they are very responsive to what people like about their previous work. He tries a lot of different ideas and not all of them work, but it's probably better than the alternative.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Plus the scene with the plugged-in head is one of the more horrific in the movie. Much more memorable than "we need to follow proper science protocols, get that head in a a bag and freeze it ASAP".

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I remember liking the title sting to Predators when he lands on the jungle floor, the reveal shot that there are a bunch of weird alien planets in the sky above them, and the visuals of the sequence where it goes to poo poo in Laurence Fishburne's hideout and they light the red flares, reminded me of Alien.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Oooh, ooh! It comes out the BACK instead of teh FRONT!! This apparently passes for creativity?

The black goo from Prometheus passes for creativity, but it confused all the poor Alien fans so Scott has to keep it simple for them this time.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It would be hilarious if it ends like The Thing (2011) or Rogue One with the intro to Alien replayed from the perspective of the space jockey dying right beforehand or something.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

THE BAR posted:

The hell, dude, spoiler that crap.

I haven't seen it yet, but you are aware of the premise of Rogue One? Pretty sure they successfully steal the plans at the end.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Maybe it'll be the MGS3 of the Alien franchise.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Ridley Scott's wife is basically responsible for editing the original Alien into something workable anyway.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Commonly known as 'octopus stinkhorn', who may also be a megaman boss.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
They showed the dang Queen descending from the airship in the '84 Aliens trailer. Not much point in keeping a monster hidden when the movie only exists as a vehicle for it and your target audience is people nostalgic for said monster.

The Godzilla 2014 trailers tried to be coy about him at first, but ended up showing a lot before release and then lots of people complained there wasn't enough Godzilla in the actual movie anyway. Jaws-like pacing & withholding just isn't the blockbuster tone du jour for they money they're hoping to make I guess.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The alleged plan is:

On April 14, 2016, Cameron confirmed that there were now plans for four sequels. Avatar 2 is scheduled for release in December 2018, with the sequels following in December 2020, 2022, and 2023, respectively.

...they also just announced an Avatar game yesterday, and Disney is opening an Avatar-themed park area in May. It seems like they're still aiming for full speed ahead.

e:

Basebf555 posted:

He's showing the guy up at this point.

That's a weird way to think about things. Cameron has spent a lot of his time on environmental efforts and exploration in the past decade, and seems to use his movie projects in part to fund that. I don't think film quantity is a concern to him. (Plus the 1 movie Cameron made in that time got 9 nominations to Scott's 26 across 14 movies so it seems like a meaningless comparison, my personal feelings about Avatar aside).

Electromax fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 2, 2017

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Avatar could've used a better bad guy. Like there were enough parallels to Fern Gully, just make the villain a terrifying demonic eldritch oil being voiced by Tim Curry who manifests as a gooey skeleton, it would've left a better impression than the Small Soldiers guy.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Just because it came up recently:

James Cameron re: Avatar 2 posted:

Well, 2018 is not happening. We haven't announced a firm release date. What people have to understand is that this is a cadence of releases. So we're not making Avatar 2. We're making Avatar 2, 3, 4 and 5. It's an epic undertaking. It's not unlike building the Three Gorges dam. (Laughs) So I know where I'm going to be for the next eight years of my life. It's not an unreasonable time frame if you think about it. It took us four-and-a-half years to make one movie and now we're making four. We're full tilt boogie right now. This is my day job, and pretty soon we'll be 24-7.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
If I got a question during a movie, best believe I'm loudly asking it repeatedly to the people nearby.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I have some graphic novelization of the original movie from the 70s, a ~4 issue Alien 3 retelling, and one called Aliens Genocide that I've never read. I like the retro alien drawings for sure.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Timby posted:

This is precisely the reason. The studios discovered that movies were being sold at the street markets within days of their North American release, particularly in eastern Europe and China, and so they flipped their release schedules around. The US is rather frequently among the last to get a release.

Is it considered easier to bootleg a movie in a theater in the US compared to those places or something?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
When will there be The Thing III: Pandemic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It was almost even more Whedon-y before that stuff was rerouted into Dollhouse and Firefly, although apparently that's what Fox was hoping for:

quote:

In 2005, Whedon recalled why it was that Fox had opted for Whedon - then a respected script doctor and creator of Buffy The Vampire Slayer - when thinking about writing a fourth Alien: it was because the sequel wasn't going to be about a clone of Ripley, but a teenaged Newt.

"The history of Alien: Resurrection is fairly twisted also because I wrote a 30-page treatment," Whedon said. "They wanted to do a movie with a clone of Newt as their heroine. Because I'd done some action movies and I'd done Buffy, they said, 'Well, he can write teenage girls and he can write action, so let's give him a shot.'"

In Amy Pascale's book, Joss Whedon: Geek King Of The Universe, it's said that the cloned Newt would be a heroine very much in the Buffy mould. "A young girl imbued with special skills and strengths to take out a particular enemy. Heads at Fox were concerned, however, that fans wouldn't watch an Alien movie without Ripley, and the idea for a Newt adventure never got further than a 30-page treatment.