Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Speleothing posted:

I've seen online the theory, very reasonable in my opinion, that since real life physics time dilation slows you down as you approach lightspeed, perhaps in this sci-fi system it speeds you up when you're moving faster than light. So the cryosleep pods are to stop you from aging to death as the ship moves at 6 light-months per earth day.

I’m not qualified to comment on theoretical physics stuff, but my understanding is that the notion of time contraction in FTL comes from Star Wars fans fudging the math to make ‘Hyperspace’ seem more realer.

If you plug something faster than c into the Lorentz factor equation, the time relative to an outside observer doesn’t simply increase but becomes a multiple of a complex (i.e. quasi-imaginary) number. That’s also purely on paper, and I’ve no clue what it would mean if translated to reality.

In the context of the discussion though, sure, you could come up with any kind of superscience/magic explanation for why they need cryotubes in larger ships. That’s precisely what they did in the ACMTM, after all. But it’s also outside the scope of the films.

Joe Chill posted:

Because the engineers only intervened in humanity by taking Christ as a child and training him. That's why they were going to nuke earth, it was the last straw after Christ's death because he was supposed to teach humanity their ways and was killed for it.

Not carefully manipulating an entire biosphere, just one of them drinking the goo and seeing if the bio-seeds get planted as seen in the intro (life is already on earth in the intro). They were desperate and after untold number of times, earth was the only one planet where it worked. A god killing themselves to create the universe is a common myth of creation.

That’s getting the plot wrong; bald dudes had been presenting themselves as gods and heavily influencing humanity for a long time BCE. They seemingly only stopped around the time that Jesus died. It’s also getting the science wrong; there’s no way to just drop a “bio-seed” and have it automatically produce humans in several billion years.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
While it’s not wrong to say that the film is more concerned with power dynamics than with the exact mechanism of creation, it’s more accurate to say that creation is presented as nothing but this power dynamics. The bald dudes are creators by ‘virtue’ of their exercise of power over those deemed lesser.

That’s the whole point of the analogy to Weyland: Weyland is credited as the creator of David - but he probably didn’t invent androids singlehandedly, and absolutely didn’t come up with all the necessary preconditions of industrialization, computer technology, etc. If anything, the video of Weyland chilling on Mars evokes Musk poo poo - implying that he just bought some other robotics company and declared himself the founder retroactively. In any case, Weyland’s status as creator is expressed purely through his ownership of and control over David. ‘Wash my feet, pour my tea,’ etc.

What this means is that - if the bald dudes wish to bake an apple pie from scratch - it’s strictly unnecessary for them to first manifest a whole universe. It’s not only enormously implausible for them to have done so, but redundant when they can get the same result (e.g. veneration by idiots) for a minuscule fraction of the effort. They’re ‘gods’ but not God - as Ridley Scott also expressed in his Exodus adaptation. The bald dudes have, themselves, built a temple devoted to the worship of a big stone head.

So this isn’t just a stronger reading based on the scientific accuracy, but going into the philosophical. Is God a literally-existing dude who, like, uses technology to accomplish His miracles? No! What does God need with a starship?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It doesn’t actually matter if they reference plot points from other films or not; namedropping Shaw or Engineers or whatever is basic fan reference poo poo, while the point of the movie would be to advance the narrative.

A common complaint about Alien Covenant is that its ending resembled Alien too much, but the point of Covenant is that - after 3-6 movies - we’re looking at those kind of events from an entirely different perspective. So the protagonists kill the alien, just like in Aliens - “yay!” - but we know that the alien isn’t the actual threat. The company’s not doing the ‘bioweapon conspiracy’ thing from the comics either, and that doesn’t matter because Covenant highlights the fact that Ash and Mother were fuckin’ crazy. David isn’t acting as an agent of the corporation. He doesn’t have a profit motive.

The ‘danger’ of Alien 7/Prometheus 3: Romulans is that it could mark a thematic regression back to Alien 4. “Walmart wants to turn people into dinosaurs” poo poo, y’know? Because this appears to be the first time that they’re depicting “the science division” in a medium that anyone cares about. That’s very dicey.