Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Prometheus was awful. It should be its own movie series and not connected to Alien at all. Failed at being a horror more because it spent too much time trying to be a nature movie. No fire from the gods was stolen, name of the movie is pointless.

Space jockeys are just clumsy huge people and have reverse napoleon complexes.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I could only play Alien: Isolation by cheating and making myself invisible from the alien. Instakills still killed me though.

Alien 3 is remarkable for being a movie because they started filming before even having "a" script even though they had 4 different ones written. Just be happy we didn't get a wooden planet that looked like the deathstar flying through space filled with a bunch of monks that claimed the alien was a dragon. http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_III_(Vincent_Ward)

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 30, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Neo Rasa posted:

It's crazy, but still better than the William Gibson script, aliens exploding out of people because it's a virus,

I wish I was living in an alternate universe where the William Gibson version was produced instead of Prometheus being made. Either way alien was just reduced to a virus.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Chappie was "ok", I wish they went with the alternate ending instead. And also they could of had more combat for Chappie and less "We gotta do the HEIST, MAN".

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
At least it went for an action/horror role instead of the horror/comedy that so many other titles fell into.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Prometheus is bad, both AvP movies are good.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xenomrph posted:

The scientists in Prometheus didn't need to do everything by the book (because as you mentioned earlier, there is no book yet).

No billion dollar project would ever not create plans and procedures in place for when stuff happens. People do not just wing it in those situations well except really lovely movies.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

AVP was remade as Prometheus. The two films have the exact same plot.

Except AvP was good.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Avp1-2 were good.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

oldpainless posted:

IM gonna lay it all out on the line and say Event Horizon is the movie Alien wishes it was.

Except this time, the monster is us.

Or rather, the monster is a ship.

Oh my God, can you imagine if an Alien was the size of the ship from Event Horizon?

What was the name of the ship? Lewis and Clark, right?

Or was it Event Horizon?

What if the true alien was the size of the moon? And all the crazy monsters were just small fry compared to it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Space_(2008_video_game)

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
LOL Blomkamp's alien is canned and we now get Alien: Paradise Lost. Sequel to a lovely lovely movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hang on let me get my space flute out.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
D is a passing grade.
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/prometheus

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Good thing Prometheus is about stealing fire.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Party Boat posted:

Just what do you think the black goo is?

e: I mean it's pretty straightforward. Weyland calls the ship Prometheus because he wants to steal the secret of eternal life ("fire" as an animating spark) from God. What he gets is a wildfire that consumes everything around him.

He didnt even attempt to steal the fire, he failed to ask for the fire. poo poo story bro, you really need to check your privilege.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Xenomrph posted:

It really isn't, at least not in the same way Terminator/T2 is.

What does the powerloader fight correspond to in 'Alien'?
What scene in Alien parallels the hive ambush?
What scene in Aliens parallels Dallas' happy jaunt in the airvent, or Brett looking for the cat and getting mugged?

Maybe if you watch more prometheus you would understand.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

I just watched Prometheus with an open and accepting mind and an attempt to explain or give the benefit of the doubt to every stupid or odd thing that happens in the movie. It's not great. It's pretty, lots of it are good, but overall it's not a great film. A lot of people's complaints are nit-picking, or have potential explanations, or are actually fairly obviously explained in the actual movie, but there's still so much left that is just... very questionable.

It's no Alien 3.

I know right, alien 3 was good.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
No one seems to talk that they also snuck in an entire security team for weyland. And his plan was to train a robot to speak languages to talk to aliens.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
When I create species on a whim, I will make sure to go back to help them draw maps to my races top secret weapon facilities.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

I'm assuming it was like just their nearest base or what ever, nearest space port or supply depot or what ever. Could be used for peaceful missions, could be used for bio-weapons. Maybe the fact that it was never meant to be a genocide depot was why their poo poo got away from them. They tried to convert a tourist information centre into a forward extermination base.

You'd think with their amazing bio-engineering technology they could make a more simple and safe weapon. Something that just wipes out humans that they're immune to. But from Alien we learn these idiots don't have very good OHSA in their bio-weapons transport.

I don't always run away from black goo, but when I do I run into the room where it is kept.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

He left his space wallet in there. Or maybe he was running from a slightly different bio-weapon and was going to use the black goo to counter the previous out of control bio-weapon They seem to have a ton on board and solve all problems in their society with convoluted extremely unpredictable bio-weapons.

Why did everyone hate robots, everyone basically didn't believe in the god so why would not having a soul make any difference?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I can't even tell if you're fakeposting anymore.

Someone has a different opinion, THEY MUST BE FROM FYAD AND TROLLING!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You can tell right away that Prometheus is a good movie when people (often pretend to) get really upset and it, and their stated reasons are really mundane stuff like 'the old-age makeup on one character is unconvincing'.

Like, that's it?

The necessary response is to ask "if the makeup were flawless, would you love the movie?" And the inevitable answer is "no, because that's not really why we're upset."

Repeat this process enough times ("if they told you what the black goo is, would you love the movie?", etc.) and we might approach the truth.

The basic premise of Prometheus is that you are shown a bunch of messages written by an alien culture, and you have to figure out what they say. Above are examples of interpretive failure.

Why did the engineers run into the room? There's an incredibly simple explanation: because they thought it was safe - it used to be a safe place.

What is the room? The safe bet is that it is a sort of temple. If you look at the arrangement of the objects, you have the giant stone head, the Giger goo mural behind it and, in between, a mysterious green crystal. It's the combination of the three that is meaningful. We could call it a model of superego, ego, and id. The arrangement predicts how the severed head will explode later in the film. The jars are laid out as offerings, and clearly not supposed to leak. They begin to 'sweat' for the same reason that the murals fade and disintegrate.

Would the aliens invite people to a weapons facility? No. Therefore, the images are not an invitation. A warning is more plausible, but the simplest interpretation is that the images are a display of pure power. "This is our strength. Obey us."

People tend to forget/ignore that the engineers in Prometheus are literally just the pagan gods: Thor, Ra, Ganesh and whatever. The engineers' motivations are simply the same as theirs.

What is the theme of prometheus?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hbomberguy posted:

What do you think it is, out of interest?

Ancient aliens, insignificance and futility, interwoven notions of creation and destruction, parent issues, the nature of the soul, loss, science vs religion, and Lawrence of Arabia.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sinding Johansson posted:

prometheus is about how sex is gross and going to church is important

drat the one thing they forgot to put on the ship!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Basebf555 posted:

Stylistically Alien and Blade Runner are different from Prometheus, that's definitely true. If you happen to enjoy the art style of Alien more than Prometheus, well that's a totally legitimate opinion and there's no point in really arguing about it.

I mean I get it, I love the visual style of Alien and Blade Runner too, but they aren't the only good way to do science fiction. The "tactile, lived-in aesthetic" isn't automatically better than the shinier, more stylized look of Prometheus, its what you prefer. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

My favorite part of Prometheus is that they spent so much money on the special effects and they didn't even change everyone's heart beat.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Basebf555 posted:

Is it a masterpiece? Yes in my opinion it is. Is it an absolutely perfect film? No

Ladies and gentlemen, the reason why movies today suck.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Baronjutter posted:

It sort of isn't though. Nothing in Prometheus really directly relates to Alien. I guess it makes the corporation aware that the "engineers" exist, and perhaps that's why they were so adamant that the crew investigate the signal. But does Prometheus add anything to Alien? Does it answer any questions or provide any insight?

It's in the same universe and involves the same corporation and probably some of the same aliens but that's about it. If nothing in Prometheus happened, if the Nostromo was the first human ship to ever find an engineer ship, nothing would have played out any differently.

But now we have even more questions!

My favorite part is how at the start of the movie the geologist and biologist are like "WERE IN IT FOR THE MONEY". Then the first sight of a dead alien body they run away and get lost after they used future mapping drones to map the entire base.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah. That's one of the best scenes in the film. I love the way it slowly reveals the Alien.

Also shows that the alien was always close to Ripley in the movie because it was protecting her.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So the Prometheus sequel is now called Alien: Convent.

So what exactly was the point of not making Prometheus a full blown tie in rather than the weird in between it was?

Everyone got around to read the script and instead of having another movie named after something unrelated they were able to convince Scott to change the name of the movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Basebf555 posted:

I'm sure the studio was afraid of a backlash if Prometheus had the Alien name attached to it when the movie has no xenomorph in it. They learned from horror franchises like Halloween and Friday the 13th that once the audience decides they like something about a franchise, they want to see it in every movie. Too much creativity and out-of-the-box thinking will be punished by the audience. As it is there was still a backlash because the marketing for Prometheus played up the Alien connection in a way that just isn't there in the actual film. Now for this one they're just saying gently caress it, its an Alien movie deal with it.

You know if he never said Prometheus had anything to do with alien and then in theaters it had all the references it would of been praised outside of all the plot holes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Steve2911 posted:

Prometheus did have a xenomorph in it though.

It was in the credits scene, does that count?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So the Prometheus sequel is now called Alien: Convent.

Alien: Covenant.

The engineers are going to be worshiping the xenomorphs.

You know what that means!

ALIEN VS PREDATOR IS NOW CANON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
One thing I like about the AvP movies is it links the predator movies and alien movies together.

Predators trick people coming to their hunt. Weyland dies during the hunt. Everyone but one person dies. Last predator dies and has a alien awake in him. Weyland corp most likely goes into a steep downfall. Which leads to,

Alien crashing the ship into a town. Making more aliens. Predator comes to hunt the alien. Predator loses his gun. Everyone dies in the town. Predator gun is delivered Ms. Yutani, which can bee seen as the owner of the Yutani Corporation.

Then you can figure that somehow the companies merge, flash forward a hundredish years.

And you get Weyland-Yutani Corporation owed commercial spacecraft Nostromo coming along in alien with instructions to check out unknown stuff.

To me this ties it all together better than, A bunch of scientists go to a alien planet, to do some dumb stuff, and all die. And the only person alive doesn't even want to go back to earth and no one knows anything about what happened. The movie could of been called Space Adventure 5 because the ties to the alien series are so little that it doesn't connect at all. There is literally no horror in the drat movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Steve2911 posted:

Why is this a good thing?

Also is the last part of your post a description of Premetheus or Alien? I genuinely can't tell.

I want colonial marines vs aliens vs predators. Resurrection kinda hosed this up though. Wanted to see this ever since seeing the Alien queen head in the predator ship in Predator 2.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How do you think predators was bad when it was the best predator movie since predator 2?

It was alot better than the fan scripts to have The Rock be Arnold(from predator)'s son and get captured and taken to the predator home world to hunted.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Isnt Labyrinth the continuation of aliens where they eventually get back to earth to find it infested?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Fair warning about Aliens: Labyrinth, though, it is loving nightmarish on a level beyond any of the movies. Only AVP: Requiem with the hospital scene even comes close to how hosed up Labyrinth is.

Was kinda meh. Was expecting more gore.

Harime Nui posted:

I really like Predators. It's a movie with absolutely no good guys at all.

The title of the movie wasn't about the aliens(predators) at all. They explain this in the movie.

All I can think about this movie is how they identified them, like the doctor had to have a house of trophies that they knew seemed off.

The only one that really sets themselves from the others is the Russian who dies blowing up a predator with what I pretend is "you ugly motherfucker" in Russian.

I will also say, Robert Rodriguez was the last to deliver on anything to the either movie series since Cameron period.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 13, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Snowman_McK posted:

That's the perfect example of the film's shortcomings. It's a blatant homage to Billy's death in the first Predator, but while that was a futile gesture, and he doesn't even die on screen, the small man with a short sword successfully swordfights a giant Alien. It 'reimagines' the scene into something completely loving toothless.

Billie didn't have Hanzo steel and he fought him on a log.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Count me among those who totally saw predators in the theater and remembers pretty much nothing about it. Lawrence Fishburne's lair, and... Some kind of alien dog things? That's it. I think I remember more about the theater itself than the movie. Like, there was a whole family watching it - mom, dad, infant, toddler, and young grade school kid. I thought that was weird. Weirder even than me having seen all the alien & predator movies by the age of eight.. At least I had to sneak around to watch R-rated movies at my friend's house after his parents went to bed.

Waiting for the part you say Prometheus is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

Well yes. This is a big issue I have with the movie. And most Alien/Predator sequels. They rely way too much on nods and references. It's really annoying.

Every movie with sequels does this.