Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The basic problem of a such a thread is that no-one has a concept of what made Alien or Aliens 'good'. So, we get a series of non-coherent two minute hates directed at such varied topics as the plot, the plot, the plot, and the shape of the computer screens.

Because when people praise Alien, they're talking about its amazing plot - right?

There's very little debate about what makes Alien good, it is probably the best executed slow burn horror/thriller film in history. Halloween in Space.

I'm sure you are well aware but "plot" as nebulous a term as that is, has little to do with the success of the franchise. Alien 3 might have the best dialogue (hell, Resurrection could have it beat, haven't seen either for quite some time) the plots are all relatively straightforward, but the real success of the first movie is the atmosphere and tension it creates.

Aliens doesn't even work if you haven't seen the first, and it isn't because the incredibly simple plot is hard to understand, it's that we need to be as afraid of the Alien as Ripley, without that the whole first third of the movie falls flat. It relies on us already having that tension built so it can create an exciting 80's action horror movie and not make it three hours long.

I've always found Alien 3 to be a bit disjointed, although I had no idea it had so much studio interference. It is a shame Fincher wasn't allowed to make the movie as he saw fit. The entire catacombs sequence is amazing, and Weaver's performance is so far beyond what we saw in Aliens. I've always felt 3 was a bit too maligned, and Aliens was a bit overrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

computer parts posted:

This isn't true because I've seen and enjoyed Aliens but not seen Alien.

I think you seriously misinterpreted what I wrote if what you took away from it was "Aliens is bad unless you saw Alien first".

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right, so Alien 'has atmosphere and tension', while Aliens 'is an exciting action movie'.

This is what I'm talking about.

You definitely weren't talking about either of those things, you were blathering on about how the thread doesn't work because people don't understand or can't articulate why the films are "good".

The only thing you are dead on about is that Blomkamp's politics are right at home with the anti-corporate/military industrial message. I assume the "outrage" for him as a director is the fact that his films are far more interested in and focused on those elements than the Alien franchise has been in the past.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah. I'm not thrilled about the direction that Alien 3 went in, but I wouldn't want the deaths of Newt/Hicks to be magically reversed, now that it's out there. I just mostly wish they would dare to do an Alien movie without Ripley in it, but that is evidently not gonna happen.

I assume they are going to ignore 3 and 4, I don't think hybrid alien Ripley and dead Ripley are how they intend to reboot the franchise, especially since it is confusing as gently caress.

This is 20th Century Fox's Star Wars, I wouldn't be surprised or particularly upset to see Weaver, Biehn, Henrikson or even Fassbender. We live in a world where they keep rebooting Spiderman just so the rights don't revert, they can make up whatever scenario they want no one will bat an eye.

Sorry but the rules clearly state you need either a Ripley or a Predator.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 30, 2015

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

It's directly responsible for every death in the movie, with the exception of Ash and the Alien, for which it is indirectly responsible.

It is interesting that Covenant is the first movie with both a 'good' and 'bad' synthetic, so you almost get Bishop and Ash in the same film. David is quite a bit different, in that Ash and Mother are acting as intended, as WY Corp wanted them to act, they just have secret directives no one else is privy to. David on the other hand, was destroyed, rebuilt, and it is not clear what is guiding his actions, but we have some strong evidence that he is severely damaged and malfunctioning, if you want to call it that. They draw your attention to this explicitly with the poem.

Ultimately I think his actions are explained by a weird perversion of his original intent, especially considering he appeared to be working fine in Prometheus and was clearly just as curious about experimenting on humans with the alien in that film.

You could also argue David is operating entirely as intended, and this is just what a synthetic designed by the founder of an evil, faceless corporation like WY is like. It isn't an accident that they joke about them being bought out by Wal-Mart in Resurrection some 200 years in the future.