Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
I'm interested in seeing this version since I always felt Alien 3 was kinda unfairly maligned, though admittedly I haven't seen it since my late teens. I like that it tried to recapture the claustrophobic atmosphere of the first movie, while telling a different story. Does this version only exist with the boxsets or is it streamable? I'll probably end up with the blu-ray boxset eventually anyway, since the first two movies are some of my all time faves and Alien 4 is guilty pleasure.

Baronjutter posted:

I also just didn't like the plot. Aliens were, well, alien before. They and their creators really felt like something that come from beyond the stars, something eldrich and almost lovecraftian, something absolutely in no way related to humans, no shared history, no shared anything. Now we find out that the totally awesome and totally alien looking "space jocky" from alien was just a suit and inside was a creature just like a human but bigger who for some reason seeded life on earth and some how installed a mechanism to make humans evolve. Which is again lovely because I always like it in scify when humans are not created in god's image, have no special destiny, are not the long-lost ancestors to some glorious ancient race. We're lovely less-haired apes encountering alien horrors beyond our reckoning. But now, no, we were magically guided by space gods to evolve in their image making humans, the engineers, and the aliens all one big family. Prometheus managed to make humans the product of godly creationism and one of the most interesting, alien, and mysterious races in science fiction be "basically just humans but bigger".

I agree with you on this. I was okay with just about every aspect of the movie, except for the Erich von Däniken inspired parts. Like, the idea itself of an alien presence loving with evolution on earth doesn't bother me, but, the concept of a humanoid species doing it just comes off as absurd, outdated sci-fi rubbish. Did they see apes and say "hey, they got 5 fingers and are potentially bipedal, lets 2001 them!" or were humans dropped off as some bastard offspring and just, somehow share the DNA of earth creatures? It just really flies in the face of the rest of the series where the xenomorph is a fantastic yet, reasonably plausible creature that embodies of the top of the food chain in a way that is primal and frightening. Even having it be a weapon created/manipulated by the Jokeys again doesn't bug me, but when you make a creationist story out of a really good sci-fi franchise, you lose me. No matter how cool not-Ripley is and how awesome her auto-csection was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

hemale in pain posted:

I don't want to ruin this for you but the xenomorph is just a human with some spikes, a tail and a dick for a head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR5jYeIMBKk

That's not a nice way to talk about John Hurt.