Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Illinois Smith posted:

I agree that the longer cut makes it better and more coherent. But it's still worse than the first two.

I haven't seen Jeunet's fourth movie since I watched it in theaters, what's the consensus? Just noticed there's a longer cut of that one too.

Jeunet gave no bones about not giving a gently caress about anything while making it. At the core, there is a cognitive dissonance between the kind of serious brooding film that Jenuet was making, and the 'quippy' 'smart' script that whedon wrote. Think of it as a cross between a French Alien and a Speed set on a spaceship. There are some creative visuals and alien designs, that's for sure. But as a film it's really dissonant between two voices (Whedon and Jeunet's).

It's a bit like Alien 3, because of the respective reputations of the two principle people in charge people look at it and go "surely there are merits" and yes there are merits to it, it's just they cancel each other out. Like, if you compare it to AVP it is clearly a work of Art, but definitely is the weakest of the four "core" Alien films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU