Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Electromax posted:

To me, the whole "a space SOS means any ship even if it's crewed by 7 space truckers must stop and investigate" to be an exceedingly stupid concept to kick off the franchise to begin with, but it doesn't stop Alien from looking great and having some fun ideas and being scary. Prometheus had its own balancing act there as well. The med pod scene in particular was wonderful even given the complaints about her running right after a c-section.

Firstly, they investigated the SOS to see if there was possible salvage, not because they had to help. The secondary market on spaceships is quite lucrative. The series started off with human greed.

Second, if she wasn't running she'd be dead, so adrenaline-in-action-movies rules apply there. I mean, she was all stapled up and everything! Her leg muscles were just fine.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Prometheus is good.

Correct. So is the Assembly Cut.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Alien: Isolation captures the feeling of isolation and terror pretty well. I wouldn't suggest playing on anything other than he easiest setting, unless you want the game to last forever because the Alien is constantly mauling you to death because it knows exactly where you are at all times.

The experience the game is attempting to convey is solid.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 30, 2015

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I went on a "light" wiki-hole dive recently because of the new Aliens: Fireteam Elite game, and I came across an interesting tidbit.

The reason the Xenomorphs don't need to eat is because their blood is literally battery acid.

This is an expanded universe type of explanation but it makes as much sense as a sword with a laser blade that stops after three feet.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The one thing Fireteam is definitely missing is cross-play. The devs have made nice noises about it being possible but nothing is planned as far as I know. I'm primarily an Xbox player, so the crossplay thing is important to me.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 11, 2021

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Space is a big place. It still works even knowing other races are out there.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
So, I've always wondered. Does the facehugger put the chestburster in your lungs or stomach, or is the answer "yes."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tankbuster posted:

What do you guys think about Alien Isolation? I replayed that game recently and it threads the needle between Alien and Aliens really well while giving oodles of the "in space no one can hear you scream" feeling that the first movie had.

It's great. Loading times are horrible unless you have a solid state drive of some kind on whatever you're playing it on.

It had the most amazing Kinect integration of any game I've ever played. It doesn't really tell you but it reads your body language, and that factors in when you're hiding and peeking around corners and stuff.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

when is the alien supposed to sneak on the helicopter and kill the pilot

When it's on the ground, OBVIOUSLY.

Xenomrph posted:

Fireteam Elite is a cool game. I wish it had more campaign content but the weapons are fun and varied, combat is largely solid, the level design (especially the way it incorporates concepts from ‘Prometheus’) is cool, and overall it’s a good time.

It is really atmospheric and captures the feel of "Aliens" very well. The downside is that "games as a service" exists and playing the same thing over and over for marginal power increases isn't really anyone's cup of tea; for a successful GAAS you need a drip of new content as least as strong as Warframe or Destiny, which is not the case with Fireteam Elite.

They're not a huge studio, one simply cannot expect Bungie level work from them.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Crabs.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

Hyperdyne Systems attempting to re-establish the failed colony on Sirius 6B
Aliens vs. Predator vs. Terminator vs. Robocop

:rock:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

Nonono see that's what everyone would be expecting. You see a teaser at the end with a terminator claw and you're like, well, of course, but I want an after credits in-universe promo spot for The Running Man special season 200 Xenostravaganza.

:hmmyes:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The Thing is great and the best way to enjoy it is to not be a Patrick Klepek.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've said it before, but Alien: Isolation is complete justification for the Microsoft Kinect's existence. (Loading times were dogshit though.) The camera picked up on your body language and moved Amanda accordingly... it's like how some folks raised their hands when playing Nintendo and making Mario jump? Except, it actually had an effect on the game.

It's probably great on VR, too.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Red Rox posted:

I saw it last year in the cinema with a group of friends, it was awesome.

One hilarious bit that I never noticed before was just after they completely destroyed that village - like absolutely loving wrecked the entire region and dead bodies all over the place - Dutch calls over Mac and says “Clear the area - no traces!”

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/044ecc85-f65d-4206-af2c-3fd518ae49c4

They're Tier-1 Operators, after all.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Xenomrph posted:

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/114693

I have the regular Alien and the power loader, they’re great.

Xenomrph knows what's up here.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BiggerBoat posted:

The PS2 The Thing game was loving great except they somehow broke the very central mechanic of how it was supposed to actually work and the main thing that was supposed to be the hook and drive the gameplay.

It didn't hold up very well on replay, but many games also don't either. As a first time experience, it was a fun action-horror romp.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Comparing Yautja faces from movie to movie is probably like going "oh, they got a Black/Mexican/Han/Desi/White guy this time? Not a fan."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Speaker posted:

I want someone to make a mod for The Sims that puts the Thing from John Carpenter's The Thing in play in your household.

I would actually play that game if this were an option, that sounds rad.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Xenomrph posted:

Seriously anyone who hasn’t played it owes it to themselves to check it out, I think it’s like $5 on Steam and the Marine campaign is scary as gently caress. Aliens are a Real Big Deal in that game, and even one will gently caress you up. On higher difficulties it is not uncommon to shoot one only to have the acid blood take you out.

:hmmyes:

To add to that, some places in that game were not well-lit at all, requiring you to throw flares to see well enough to shoot before they were right on top of you IIRC.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 12, 2022

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I’ve kicked around the idea a few times of an AvP movie where the pitch is colonial marines going to suppress a “labor strike” that’s actually predators using the colonists to seed xenomorphs for a hunt, with the twist that the totally-an-android character this time isn’t an ash/bishop type dude, its a Terminator WY reverse-engineered from one of the T-800s skynet sent back from an alternate future and is deploying to steal predator technology, and this is revealed to the audience when it rips a xeno in half over its head Evangelion style and the fountain of acid blood melts the skin off of its metal endoskeleton

I'd buy that for a dollar! :imunfunny:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of that...

Alien
The Nostromo is given a priority order to land on and investigate a mysterious planet and encounters a bizarre alien parasite amid the wreckage of a long dead advanced alien race. The whole thing is orchestrated by a director named Ridley.

Metroid
Samus is given a priority order to land on and investigate a mysterious planet and encounters a bizarre alien parasite amid the wreckage of a long dead advanced alien race. The whole thing is orchestrated by a space pirate named Ridley.

Aliens
Ripley arrives on LV-426 on a mission to eradicate the Metroid species once and for all. A massive Queen Alien is confronted at the end that requires some creativity to finally defeat.

Metroid II: Return of Samus
Samus arrives on SR-388 on a mission to eradicate the Metroid species once and for all. A massive Queen Metroid is confronted at the end that requires some creativity to finally defeat.

Alien 3
A single Xenomorph hatchling survives and reaches adulthood. On a grim planet with a plot meant to evoke the isolation and tension of the first film, the alien has an affinity for Ripley, refusing to harm her.

Super Metroid
A single Metroid hatchling survives and reaches adulthood. On a grim planet with a plot meant to evoke the isolation and tension of the first game, the alien has an affinity for Samus, refusing to harm her.

Alien Resurrection
Ripley is resurrected and is now part Xenomorph because having one implanted in her was the cause of her death. She’s sort of down with this but also hates that this was done to her and makes sure to crash a USM ship that’s become host to a ton of genetically engineered Xenomorph creatures…including a bizarre clone of Ripley herself!

Metroid Fusion
Samus is resurrected and is now part Metroid because having one implanted in her was the cause of her near-death. She’s sort of down with this but also hates that this was done to her and makes sure to blow up a GF space station that’s become host to a ton of genetically engineered Metroid-derived creatures…including a bizarre clone of Samus herself!

BUT THEN THE TABLES TURN AND...

Metroid Prime
A prequel where the Metroids are technically around but aren’t the focus at all. Instead, through exploration of the ruins of a long dead empire that spread throughout the galaxy via total mastery of bio-mechanical engineering we piece together both the beliefs of their kind as well as the cause of their downfall. The game ends with a gratuitous appearance of a more primal “Metroid.”

Prometheus
A prequel where the Xenomorphs are technically around but aren't the focus at all. Instead, through exploration of the ruins of a long dead empire that spread throughout the galaxy via total mastery of bio-mechanical engineering we piece together both the beliefs of their kind as well as the cause of their downfall. The film ends with a gratuitous appearance of a more primal “Xenomorph.”

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
After a rough almost-crash Samus lands on a once heavily populated world that was devastated by the Ing, protean creatures born out of a black goo that causes the entire planet’s ecosystem to change and mutate into a variety of permutations, drastically altering all lifeforms on it. Near the planet’s major temple/spiritual center a lone seemingly helpful survivor fills Samus in on the situation. Samus also learns about a previous ship that crash landed on the planet not too long before her arrival, with dire consequences for its human passengers.

Alien: Covenant Act I
After a rough almost-crash the Covenant crew lands on a once heavily populated world that was devastated by the Neomorphs, protean creatures born out of a black goo that causes the entire planet’s ecosystem to change and mutate into a variety of permutations, drastically altering all lifeforms on it. Near the planet’s major temple/spiritual center a lone seemingly helpful survivor fills them in on the situation. The crew also learns about a previous ship that crash landed on the planet not too long before their arrival, with dire consequences for its human passenger.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
A mysterious returning character that’s been around since the beginning sets in motion a plan to replace all sentient life with their own perverse creations by seeding more worlds with mutagenic embryos of their own design.

Alien: Covenant Act II
A mysterious returning character that’s been around since the beginning sets in motion a plan to replace all sentient life with their own perverse creations by seeding more worlds with mutagenic embryos of their own design.

So I haven't played Metroid: Dread yet but I'm assuming whatever Alien movie happens next will follow it pretty closely. :D

This is amazing, never thought about it before!

Metroid Dread:
The only Metroid in Metroid Dread is Samus herself, and she isn't one anymore at the end IIRC. Or she's cured or something.

There are a couple of Chozo characters you interact with, though.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I made the mistake of playing it while intoxicated, the puzzles were not for me in that state of mind. Gotta have a clear head.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MLSM posted:

Just finished season 2 and I can concur with this.

The most hosed up part about its cancellation is HBO did it anyway despite the showrunner having written all 5 planned seasons.

Reality television is a cancer we did not excise in its infancy, and now the people who gained power from the genre's success murder good scripted television.

Oh well.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've never seen it. Does the second season end on some sort of cliffhanger or is there closure?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sodomy Hussein posted:

You're not going to kill a cancer that costs almost nothing to make and does good numbers.

Yeah, I know. That horse left the barn long ago.

General Battuta posted:

It ends on an enormous cliffhanger, but given that the show is batshit insane top to bottom it's kind of a suitable conclusion. I mean the last words spoken on screen are 'what the gently caress' and that's just the perfect wrap-up.

Gonna give it a try next break I get.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Earth 80 years from now won't have any cool or good sci-fi stuff, it's unfettered capitalism all the way down and space travel will only be for people like Bezos and Musk.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
We need to see a lava planet, a forest planet, an ocean planet, a warehouse planet, a sewer planet, a desert planet, and another, different forest planet with oceans.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
70's hairstyles make people look old, turns out.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Schwarzwald posted:

Gonna call bullshit on the spooky space ants being more mysterious than the "GodCum."

Alien Megathread: Gonna call bullshit on the spooky space ants being more mysterious than the "GodCum."

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Scorn plays fine, but if you don't like or are at least okay with puzzles getting Object A from Point C to Z, you will not enjoy it despite its magnificent art direction and messed up story. It's a survival horror game.

It's on Game Pass.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The last dozen or so pages… have not put me off of thinking space wasps and robots powered by cum are pretty neat!

It was close, though!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Game looks rad.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

The great big blaring klaxon is that we are 4 days from release and nobody has done a preview, much less indicated they have review code.

This can often be a huge red flag... I'm gonna wait and see on this game.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The thing with these types of games is that it goes agains your Final Fantasy "Save Those Elixirs Till You Need Them Oh Wait You Beat The Whole Game Already" training. It's a hard thing to overcome. You gotta be willing to lose new guys to make two full A-squads, while worrying about everything else. It's about making the best of many bad choices available to you, and pulling it off because you're that good. Yes, even you! 🙂

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Xenomrph posted:

To be fair this was in an era where people were allowed to smoke on airplanes. Maybe the Nostromo had good air recyclers (or more likely, the crew weren’t getting paid enough to give a poo poo).

All the various aliens know, when the Terrans show up their noxious fumes precede them. You'd think an airlock exposed to space wouldn't smell like stale tobacco and have that yellow tint, but...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I gotta bring it up each time someone mentions Alien: Isolation. That game, in addition to being one of the best I've ever played in any genre, was also the best use of the Kinect I've ever personally experienced.

The camera watched you at all times and modified Amanda's body posture based upon yours. So all of your unconscious leaning, cringing, peeking, recoiling, etc. was reflected in the game and had a noticeable effect on the hiding portion of gameplay. The mic was also listening, so if you were making too much noise on your couch (food noises, gas, even breathing too hard or muttering to yourself) the Alien could hear you. Unless it was a noisy area, obviously.

It... didn't really tell you any of this, but you could guess if you were messing around in the game setting options, or just noticed that Amanda was shifting posture based upon your body's movement.

Load times on an Xbox One were abysmal, though. Otherwise... the experience was incredibly immersive.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Flawed but neat technology indeed.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

happyhippy posted:

One day some fuckwit will explain what the Thing is, and it will be completely so underwhelming.

The Thing is Jenova from Final Fantasy 7. It can mimic a strong personality, like Sephiroth, but, like the Alien, is a creature designed only to propagate itself.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The egg rolled under a table in the break area next to the hangar during the fight with the Queen. Same kind of table as in the mess hall. Very Rube Goldbergian. Ate up a lot of the budget for Alien 3 before it was cut for time, thank God we at least got the Assembly Cut eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The only way to be completely sure.