Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I love the Alien franchise, but I don't think I could stomach an even longer cut of 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Prometheus' biggest misstep was the link to Alien, really. The rest of the movie is fairly fun, even if the Guy Pearce make-up payoff didn't make it to the final version. It has some nice little body horror moments in it.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Owlbear Camus posted:

Pre-order is up for Dungeons and Aliens.

https://alien-rpg.com/

I'm tempted to get this sight unseen.

Dude... get Mothership on DM's Guild. The base book is free. There's rules for making Xenomorphs from the creators themselves (check out their discord, they answer questions). Seriously, go check it out.
All the cards and poo poo in this look more like a board game than a traditional pencil & paper RPG. Try Mothership.
E: There's Space Truckers (Teamsters), Marines, Pulse Rifles, Panic Checks, the works. The game can be anywhere from Alien, Aliens, Event Horizon, Doom. I can't recommend it enough.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 26, 2019

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Owlbear Camus posted:

you do you; I'll do me.

I wasn't trying to tell you what to do. More like give you or other people a free option that emulates a lot of the same things if they couldn't wait for this or afford it. Sorry for the mix-up.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Alien RPG is interesting. I'm surprised to see so many references from Dark Horse, unused script bits, the Earth War stuff that never got a good shake, etc. Surprised at the Neomorph. The game can be played under a few different rulesets, the "cinematic" (read: one shot) rules are very deadly. Alien basically roll a d6 (six-sided die), and have a 2/6 chance of instantly killing you.
I'm kind of surprised Herk Mondo isn't an NPC. Lots and lots of content from the books and comics. It's good.

They really, really did their homework. I thought it would be one of those products that focused on the first two movies, but instead we have quotes from David and stuff throughout.

There's an interesting system where you can be a "hidden Android" like Ash or Call, and open get the Android perks once you take critical damage and are exposed as one.

Lots of stuff seem... PvP focused. If you outrank another player, you can make a roll to force them to take an action even if it's dangerous.

They call the GM the Game Mother instead of Game Master. Kinda funny.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 29, 2019

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I was with you until you said AvP. What a shitshow.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Predators wrasslin' aliens with the Mario tailswing and the dumb Pred puppy dog eyes in the romance subplot is such poo, though. So much of that movie is so bad. There's some things I like about it, but drat, that's terrible. Requiem was so fuckin' mean-spirited, even if I liked the Hard R and modern setting better. It's weird and cool to see Xenomorph in a contemporary setting.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Xenomrph posted:

What kind of stuff from the books and comics? I haven't taken the time to read through it in detail yet because I really hate reading 100+ page PDFs on my computer monitor. :effort:

Just like... example, Bionational (Aliens: Outbreak) is name dropped, Church of Immaculate Incubation (Salvaje's xeno-cult from Earth War)... Some more I can't think of. Still processing.
Other stuff like the "phased plasma rifle" from that cut scene of Hudson bragging (itself a Terminator ref), a handgun model mentioned in AvP: Extinction...

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 29, 2019

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Yeah, xenomorphs aren't actually in the pdf. Just the neomorph.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I had to look up what that was. The gently caress.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I like David and Prometheus and even Covenant to an extent, and I hate changing the notion that Alien are some super ancient species that could exist super far away as a cool Lovecraftian space dragon. It's hard to reconcile these two things.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I didn't mean to trigger anyone with the mention of "lovecraft" in this thread. I know it's been mined to hell and the mystique is lost (much like the xenomorph?), to amend my post pretend I said "inscrutable unknown space monster", and having a drawn out origin story that takes places a few years before killed that particular aspect of the creature and mythos for me - and I still like Prometheus and Covenant.
I really like Aliens, too, even though they showed they are space ants. I guess since the first one I haven't really gotten that same sort of unknowable dread Giger intended in the design (like the feeling you get when you appreciate a baroque Beksiński artwork). I both like and don't like that there's more answers than there could be conceivably be questions about the lifecycle and everything of this creature.

I have a similar feeling with predator, where I like the first movie that doesn't try to explain too much, and I like the "expanded universe" poo poo that turns them into redneck samurai.

E: Basically what Xenomrph said above, but I also have an appreciation and genuine like for the movies that "undid" the stuff I liked.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 30, 2019

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I was thumbing through the new "Colonial Marines Operations Manual" for that Alien RPG, and it was a pretty good read. I'd say a good 2/3rds of it is just info and trivia and timelines, and the other third is that thing when 1 sentence in a franchise somehow spawns an entire *thing*. My two least favorite examples:

Hudson says something like, "we have nukes, we have knives, we have sharp sticks..." and then someone tells him to sit down on the dropship at the beginning. The Aliens EU turning "sharp sticks" into S.H.A.R.P. Sticks being some sort of super-rifle is hilariously missing the joke. Aliens doesn't have enough varied weapons for a first person shooter, so S.H.A.R.P. Sticks ("sonic electronic ballbreakers" have had a similar treatment).

The 2? lines of Arcturians have spawned chapters upon chapters about these creatures, and really kind of devalues the humanocentric aspect of this sci-fi that I like a lot.

They continually repeat certain things like a mantra, and in particular, "poodle-sized cockroaches" is mentioned maybe 6 times. Never just cockroaches. Poodle-sized. Never compared to any other animal. Poodle-sized. Never a different sort of bug. Cockroaches.

I pose this question, has this been said in like Alien 3-The-Third-Cut (don't watch this) and I'm missing the reference?

E: The idea that the surviving prisoner from Alien 3 goes on to ... write a book about his experiences is also pretty funny to me having re-watched that the other day and seeing how cracked he is. Talking about the character "Morse" by the way.
E2: I get a nice cup of schadenfreude at "how did han solo get his vest kids let's find out" nature at having to extrapolate on this poo poo. Makes me wish we had the Blomkamp alien picture. The concept art for some of those scenes really could've added a little bit of mystery without seeming too ... off-brand.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 15, 2021

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
My understanding is that the "Colonial Marines" is pretty much a PMC when you look at the big players on Earth and the big corpos controlling everything.

If you ignore the EU, I think Burke being there and stuff is just analogous to CIA involvement in conflicts, and thematically for the soldiers they needed a POG ('Person Other than Grunt'). I'm honestly surprised Lt. Gorman isn't 18 years old (or just x3 younger than his NCOs). That would really hit the military bingo.

Here's an insert from the intro in the Colonial Marines book I mentioned on this page:

E: And about the UAAC:

I really like to read about the different armies and branches of military sort of surrounding the lore here. For some reason, the US Army is still a thing, too. That must be where Starship Troopers is happening. :shrug:
Dude this book is just fun to read if you ever wondered what kind of fights the Marines get into when they aren't being killed by Aliens.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 15, 2021

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
PG-426 IS A ROCK. NO INDIGENOUS POSTS.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

rawillkill posted:

Blade Runner and Alien are in the same universe

Also I see "Hyperdyne systems" as easter eggs everywhere in the Alien computers

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Hey, I recently re-watched those 6 short films that came out for Alien's, what, 40th anniversary? What did you guys think?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
At some point, something has to happen for there to be A Movie.

Thinking more about the Assembly Cut of A3, and just A3 in general. I really like reading the aborted scripts and concepts for Alien pictures, guys. The only part that bugs me about A3 [As A Movie] is that Andrews and Clemens are more interesting than the other characters and they get killed first. I'd really like to see their reactions to stuff that happens later in the movie.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 18, 2021

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Left 4 Bugs is good, actually, the definition of a 7/10 game, with a budget price tag. Fun, slightly buggy, plenty of fanservice, distinct and meaningful upgrades and classes, and good cosmetics. It's just about anything I could want in a game featuring Colonial Marines.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I did because it gave me the original armor outfits & camo for Hicks, Vasquez (slightly modified for the Gunner class), Drake, and another one or two I'm forgetting. The weapon camo it gives is whatever. Also like a sulaco cap like Gorman wears when he visits Rip before the mission in Aliens, aaaand... oh, I think 2 of the original helmets, including Apone's, with like the little backflap and the microphone kind of hanging "undone". Looks cool, in my opinion.

I just like the original camo pattern and stuff, that's pretty much why I got it. Oh, you get Hicks modified shotgun too, but it's cool, kind of a "sidegrade" to the base starting shotgun. Nothing really mechanical. A bunch of cool challenge cards too, but nothing you can't get in-game.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
7/10 seems right, but the sauce is in the immersion and atmosphere. Horror + RTS is not a combo I thought would work but it does. Needs some QOL stuff but it's pretty solid. I think a sequel is gonna be real good.