Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xenomrph posted:

Did Asimov’s Laws of Robotics ever deal with psychological harm or was it strictly physical?

I'm sure Asimov wrote about a dozen books on that which I will be sure not to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Has anyone done any sort of EU fiction in the Alien universe further ahead in the future? I know Resurrection was set a few hundred years after Alien; has anyone done anything after that?

I ask because I'm considering doing something like that in the rpg. The PCs make a long distance trip but end up further in the future than they expect, that sort of thing. I think that there are a lot of threads, like the status of Synthetics, that could be pulled, but I'm wondering if anyone has done this already.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xenomrph posted:

I think Armageddon is set in the 2600s? Or at least that’s what the most reliable fan timeline says, but I haven’t fact-checked it.

Also it’s up in the air if any of the books are still “canon”. The AvP one arguably isn’t, just because it’s AvP. Original Sin also featured the Space Jockeys before Prometheus came out, so that’s arguably retconned. But hey, it’s all fiction anyway, it’s easy to head-canon it.

Interesting, I'll check that out, thanks!

Shanty posted:

Convert to a WH40K campaign without telling them.
Hell, just run Space Hulk.

:getin:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ferrinus posted:

100% DNA match!

I can't help but think that DNA doesn't work like that.

I love the movies, but there are parts I'd leave out. That's one of them.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The "100% Match" is an invention. In the actual movie, it's simply a very close match - like if you compared human DNA with that of chimpanzees or something. That's to say "Engineers" are not exactly human but are a fellow species of ape, too closely related for it to be a coincidence.

That part is extremely important to Prometheus' narrative, since the entire movie is about 'what if gods were objectively real'.

Sure, I understand. But you don't have to have humanity be a direct ancestor of the Engineers to have it work. They could have (and I'm just throwing out ideas here) accelerated our cognitive evolution, like the monolith aliens from 2001. They'd still be extremely important, arguably "creators" of humanity.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ferrinus posted:

They are human.

I mean, they're clearly octopodae:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

(Picture the monolith being all like "oh poo poo, gently caress, I knocked over the goo, man! poo poo, run!" And then he trips and gets decapitated by a door).

I dunno, you're making this sound better and better.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

That's why it's vital that Engineers are, basically, us: if Zeus was a real dude, he'd be a real piece of poo poo. And the subtle joke is that, in the backstory of the film, the events of the Prometheus myth likely more-or-less actually happened.

More seriously, I hate that poo poo. Any movie or novel with the premise that "well, actually, humanity evolved on another planet" is a real deal-breaker for me. I'm all for some willing suspension of disbelief, but asking me to reject evolution is going to far.

I'm glad Prometheus, for all of it's flaws, didn't go so far as to explicitly state this so I can cling to the idea that this isn't the case.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

This leads to the distinct possibility that Engineers are just apes who evolved alongside humanity and were "uplifted" by a third faction at some point (i.e. whoever's driving the big saucer at the start of Prometheus).

Huh, I like that explanation.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Blood Boils posted:

I think Scott and co stated they were the same universe once or twice, off handedly not like, strictly.

Animals are pretty much extinct in Blade Runner.

So is Jonesy a real cat? Or a synthetic?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xenomrph posted:

Jones is absolutely a real boy. :colbert:

How does a freighter crew afford a real cat in the Blade Runner 'verse?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xenomrph posted:

Fun fact: Jones legit is Ripley’s cat specifically - on her bridge terminal, you can spot a photo of Jones as a kitten.

I've watched the movie hundreds of times but never noticed that. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xenomrph posted:

In other news I’m having dinner with Andrew Gaska (author of the Alien RPG) tomorrow, and he’ll also be at the Game On Expo in Phoenix this weekend.

I'm jealous. Tell him his game is outstanding.