Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Y'know, Prometheus wasn't all that bad. Just had a pretty weak script. A good plot, good character performances, a very weak script (and too much focus on David without any real payoff, since his motivations are rather...vague.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, this was my biggest obstacle to enjoying Prometheus. I was too much of an Alien/Aliens fanboy and went into it looking to connect every little detail to the previous movies in the franchise. Its not a satisfying movie to watch in that mindset.

That part didn't bother me much at all. In fact, I kind of enjoyed teh consistency and the lack thereof. Considering that Prometheus is 100 years or so prior to Alien, it makes since that the Engineers would look slightly different after a century. Similarly, it made sense that their original bioweapon was essentially a murderous version of the process they are known to do; creating life on alien worlds.

My biggest problem is that the Prometheus itself looks way too loving sleek. There are holograms and cool monitors with touchscreens...it looks nothing like the Nostromo, and it doesn't feel technologically consistent. My girlfriend tells me that it could be the Prometheus had all cutting-edge technology that was lost with its destruction, but that sounds like a fairly weak excuse to me. If the film was a reboot, that'd be one thing, but it felt off to me and I think they made a mistake in ditching the old-school aesthetic in favor of holographic map projectors (which they never even used to any great effect anyway).

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Prometheus looks like a modern corporate toy (plus holograms), the Nostromo looks like a modern piece of industrial equipment. Cutting-edge machinery that prioritizes being built to last over looking cool looks a lot more 1970s than it does Apple product. I guess if they really wanted to be weird obsessive film nerds they'd go back and carefully composite LCD screens over the Nostromo's CRT monitors so it'd be 100% Hard Sci-Fi.

I dunno, it sure feels like there's a lot of more whizz-bang sci-fi poo poo in Prometheus than there was in Alien. It feels weird that the ships would have grown less comfortable over time rather than more, but maybe I am getting hung up on something fairly inconsequential. It just sort of hurt my immersion--I didn't feel like I was really part of the same world that Alien took part in, at least until they get to the installation.