Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I feel like a huge weirod because the Alien never scared me, and instead of having a teddy bear, I had a 11 inch Alien toy I used to keep in my bed to protect me from stuff. Alien was my home dawg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Immortan posted:

I like the Assembly Cut version of her falling because it places an emphasis on why Ripley is sacrificing herself more without shoehorning in the chest burster to make sure a retarded audience knows why she's doing it. It's smarter.

Ehhh. The imagery in the Theatrical is more interesting. Maybe it's just the bad visual effect they had to throw in, but the AC's version looks bad to me all around.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only good thing about AvP-R is that it stopped AvP movies for the time being.

I'm not shocked that people here like it. But I cannot enjoy the Family Guy of the Alien/Predator franchise.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have no beef with Prometheus, but I'm way more interested in that than Blomkamp's fan fiction. :( Which sucks because he's my number one choice to make an Alien movie. As much as I wouldn't mind seeing Ripley again, it's Hicks and possibly Newt coming back that sucks poo poo.

Blomkamp, they're dead, alright? Can I go now? Sheesh.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

zVxTeflon posted:

Im sick of Ripley too at this point. Alien 3 was a perfect ending to her story. How many times do we need to resurect and torture this poor woman.

I hope that Weaver ends up contractually obligated to star in more, and someone comes in and kills her and hicks off again. The fan reaction. :allears:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I firmly believe that half of the deleted scenes in the movie would've fixed a lot of character inconsistencies. Or at least most of them.

"Why did that guy touch the penis snake?"
Because he loves animals and touches them all the time. Which was included in a deleted scene where he does the same thing, setting up his dumb naive response to Alien creatures.

or

"How come no one cares or knows about the thing in the med pod!"
Vickers directly references the "thing in the medpod" in a deleted scene.

There's so much more. Scott cut the movie down to make more money, but some of his choices he cut out were a bit baffling to me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I will always give credit to Prometheus credit for that. It's one of the main reasons why I do dig the flick even despite the problems I have with it. I'd rather have a decent but not fully formed film about God, and Humans, and Spirituality, than have a guy go "LETS ROCK!!!" and shoot aliens in the face. So loving tired of goddamn references.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Regarding the likely quantity of references in the new Star Wars movies: "I have a bad feeling about this...."

I know. That's my biggest worry. I'm okay with some stuff like that...but Christ, don't start stealing sequences and shots. I can't stand that poo poo. Or taking dialog and re-appropriating it to something else.

Like in AvP-R (bringin back on topic!) when Dallas(lol) screams "GET TO THE CHOPPER!!!". It's so loving stupid and forced and I hate it. Stop doing that! Please! I beg you! "Come on kill me I'm here kill me!!!" Shut up Adrian Brody! Stop stealing Arnold's lines!

Vickers was my favorite character too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Death Proof is great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Newborn is a pretty great effect. You can argue about the design, but functionally? It looks and moves very realistically.

The Pred-Alien is a bad cosplay project. So loving stupid and clunky.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guess which movie I'm talking about.
We open with a glimpse into the past, as well as a look into what is to come. We meet our heroes who are experts in archeology and other things. We find them on a ship owned by Mr. Weyland, a rich billionaire who has funded an expedition to discover an ancient structure in a hostile landscape. We meet our supporting characters, which include the nerdy, eccentric man, and a gruff, annoyed blue collar man. They enter the structure and discover dead bodies with their chests exploded open. No idea why. They activate a device deep inside the structure which triggers a chain of events. The nerdy man and the gruff man become lost inside the structure and end up being attacked by a vicious creature. Mr. Weyland needs to know whatever he can about this expedition because he is dying. The main character loses all of her friends and colleagues and is forced into dealing with these forces, on her own. But luckily, she finds an unexpected alliance with an alien life-form, who helps her defeat the monster and lives to fight another day.

Oh and then she flies away in a spaceship with a robot head.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Alien series is about Ripley after Aliens.

Aliens is about Ripley connecting, or reconnecting with a daughter figure. Depending on which version you watch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Predator mask designs own in that movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't get why any of you like AvP-R. It's so campy. But in a bad, direct to video way. Not in a fun endearing way. Plus, the references. Jesus Christ those references!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe it's because the Alien/Predator movies are the most important non important thing in my life, and I just don't like them being reduced to a generic slasher movie.

I know Alien is a slasher movie. But it's a good slasher movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The neck ruins the whole thing. It really looks like a Halloween costume.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AvP-R was dark in the theater. The scene when the Alien comes down from the ceiling in the store is completely Incomprehensible.

As was the sewer scene.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 9, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The egg scene is cool, but where it's placed is really bad. It should've been put somewhere before the ship was self destructing. She's just wasting time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah it's on the Blu Ray set. I couldn't believe it.

But the scene is OK.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Genyisis is by far the worst Terminator movie. It's all a buncha crap I've seen before. Mostly from the TV show.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

Lets take a brief moment and talk about fandom. This is probably applicable in pretty much any pop culture thread, but I'm posting it here because I have a lot of exposure to Alien fandom, and because I just got to see some of the worst of it on a message board I frequent.

I get where fandom stems from - shared cultural experience, and the desire to relive it with others. It can be useful - at its core, we frequent CineD because we're fans of movies in a broader sense, and it gives us an outlet to share our ideas. In the age of the Internet, that ability has never been greater.

The problem is the kinds of people that get attracted to fandoms, and the sort of septic atmosphere it breeds. People often lose sight of the bigger picture, and spend more time debating and arguing about minutiae than enjoying the thing they're all allegedly a fan of. You get people trying to force their opinions on others as if they're some kind of righteous defenders and arbitrators of something that exists to entertain and make money.

I recently got dragged into a "canon" debate, the unholiest, most toxic and divisive of debates you find with fandoms. I hate them, and my position on canon debates is pretty universally "this is the official word, but please disregard it if you don't like it and just do what makes you happy".
Canon is ultimately an opinion, and it should be what you enjoy. Who cares what some other fan thinks, or what some corporation says?

But instead I've been (futilely) trying to reason with someone who thinks that their arbitrary, goalposts-changing personal views are literal, factual truth, and that by disagreeing with him, I am disagreeing with The Canon.
It's a storm in a teacup, a not-quite shouting match (or at least *I* am keeping my cool) on an Internet forum that 99.9% of the human population will never see, let alone give a poo poo about, where I'm trying to convince him that yes, it's okay for people to have a different opinion from him, and no, I'm not trying to change his opinion and I don't care if he agrees with my view or not. He completely lacks self awareness about what it means to be "a fan" of something, or how to share an opinion.

It's the worst example of "fandom" summed up in one debate, it hits every Bingo card checkbox for what's wrong with fandom. It's really unfortunate, and it'll never change.

This sounds like it happened on SSF forums. That poo poo happened all the goddamn time and it's one of the reasons I'm glad I'm banned. Awful awful nerds. It could be elsewhere, probably AvP-Galaxy. Which also sucks poo poo.

The weird part is, I'm like a super hardcore Alien fan to a probably unhealthy point. But I've never felt like I've fit in with "The fandom". I can't think of any fandom I feel like I belong. They usually just latch onto the most mundane and uninteresting aspects of the respected franchises that it's impossible to give a poo poo about anything they're saying.

This is especially true for Invader Zim. The worst fandom in the world. I can't relate to 98% of 'em.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I know and absolutely agree with the whole "fan identity" thing. My room is covered in Alien toys and posters and all kinds of stuff. But I like to keep it there. Where it belongs. I might wear an Alien hat or something because it's a cool Nostromo hat, but that's about as far as I go. It's a part of me but it's not me.

In fact, because this is the Alien thread, here are some pictures of my Alien toys.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hbomberguy posted:

Is that goop on the cenobyte's mouth part of the model or did you add that?

Soap is key for Alien toy photography.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aliens could be cenobites I guess. They got the look for it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

http://www.avclub.com/article/it-might-be-game-over-man-neill-blomkamps-alien-mo-227703

Kinda glad it might be dead. As much as I want to see a Neill Blomkamp Alien movie, I really don't want the whole thing to be about "fixing past mistakes". Go forward. Show me something new.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like that there are 3 Alien films that connect with each other. It adds up to a really potent story. Canon is good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Please don't let Ann Coulter watch Aliens. She's not allowed because she's evil and doesn't deserve nice things.

This also goes for fake Ann Coulter.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'd rather take a really, really, really bad Prometheus sequel that does something different, over Ripley and Hicks shooting Aliens again.

Prometheus is fine. It's got some problems, but it's got some good stuff. And it's got space jockies. I understand why people love it and hate it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I really don't mind that at all. Mainly because I've already become sick of those fuckin elephant things from reading all the dumb comics. I was surprised and that was nice.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hbomberguy posted:

I never thought of it that way.

I just don't have much to say about it. What interests me about the film will interest like, no one else here. No one wants to read my posts about canon stuff.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well then I'd like to re-watch the movie again, and try and write something nice. (It's been a good while, actually!)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

Any issues people have with Prometheus contradicting established Alien "canon" are easily explained by the Weyland Corporation being a very big, unscrupulous, generally shady company. In other words, there aren't actually any real contradictions.

I have no problems with the continuity.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aliens don't have to be scary to be interesting. And they're still plenty interesting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They liked Prometheus.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And how dumb the fans are about it. A nice mix of both.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hbomberguy posted:

I would have liked a Blomkamp Alien movie but tbh I want them to give celtic predator the budget for one just to see what he would do. Not even to make some point about his ideas being good or not, I just want to see what that would be at this point. I've never seen someone who's a bigger fan of Alien who also doesn't want Alien films to feature the central characters or concepts from Alien.

If I was pithier I would claim that Alien fans do not like Alien. What they actually like is 'the xenomorph', a thing that doesn't exist outside of the film whose filmic properties they're trying to reject. I don't get it and I am melting aaaagh

Thanks!

But I only reject those things because they already exist. I've been looking at Alien related media since I was a small child. And the biggest problem I have is, they never do anything new. They keep doing the same old thing over and over again and never cracking it because it simply isn't interesting a second time. Alien is a perfect film about blue collar people, sucked into a world of the hostile corporate entity, driven by power and money to harvest a psycho-sexual rape monster. Aliens is about soldiers who are sucked into the world of a hostile corporate entity, driven by power and money to harvest a psycho-sexual rape monster. Alien 3 is a about prisoners sucked into a world of a hostile corporate entity, driven by power and money to harvest a psycho-sexual rape monster.

3 movies is fine...but after that, it just gets dull. Replace that with every kind of person, and you have the Aliens EU. Personally, I want to see the side of the hostile corporate entity. I want to see what an Alien-Bio Weapon would look like. I want to see how it's used.

I've had this image of a person using the Alien like a suicide bomber. They would enter a public place, and have the Alien explode from them, which would slowly, but surely destroy whatever area they want. It's an image I'd love to see on film. It's hard to see new things if people keep wanting to tap into the old poo poo. I mean, Aliens Colonial Marines was just about the worst thing ever made from this franchise, and ultimately made me fearful of anyone trying to recon the series. The only thing that would've given Blomkamp's Aliens fan film merit in my eyes, would be that Newt became the head of W-Y and was currently harvesting Aliens out of fear and desperation. But I highly doubt that would've happened.

Ripley, Hicks, and Newt are dead. Get over it. Do something no one has seen yet. Which is why, regardless of my problems with Prometheus, I'd take that a thousand times over seeing Marines again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So don't make it scary. Make it fun or interesting. Make the audience fear for the character's safety, rather than the actual threat. Like, who honestly thinks The Walking Dead is a scary show? What about zombies, as portrayed in that show, is in any way scary? I'd say it's not. But I will say the show does one thing right. It makes the audience (who like bad writing) care about (bad) characters, and that makes the zombies an actual threat.

Do that with the alien. Because there is weirdo's like me who watched Alien and and Blues Clues during the same age period. The Alien has never been scary to me. And it never will.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'd be fine with that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

autistic people don't look like dripping skeletons with huge digitally erased dicks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's because Alien 3 is not a very good movie. It doesn't interest people.

For example, in the entire history of people writing about Alien on the internet, no-one has ever commented on the scene where Clemens dies - the fact that a bottle of drugs morphs into the alien. And of course, those same drugs are administered to Ripley. So the film is fairly explicitly on the side of Dillon, when he calls the literal plot explanation complete bullshit. Ripley was not attacked her cryotube; the 'queen embryo' was injected into her arm.

But fans don't care about this. They care about Prometheus.

A facehugger actually got her, and this was shown so.