Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Von Daniken took his ideas from HP Lovecraft. They're Lovecraft references.

Lots of bad things try to be Lovecraft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

BottledBodhisvata posted:

That part didn't bother me much at all. In fact, I kind of enjoyed teh consistency and the lack thereof. Considering that Prometheus is 100 years or so prior to Alien, it makes since that the Engineers would look slightly different after a century. Similarly, it made sense that their original bioweapon was essentially a murderous version of the process they are known to do; creating life on alien worlds.

My biggest problem is that the Prometheus itself looks way too loving sleek. There are holograms and cool monitors with touchscreens...it looks nothing like the Nostromo, and it doesn't feel technologically consistent. My girlfriend tells me that it could be the Prometheus had all cutting-edge technology that was lost with its destruction, but that sounds like a fairly weak excuse to me. If the film was a reboot, that'd be one thing, but it felt off to me and I think they made a mistake in ditching the old-school aesthetic in favor of holographic map projectors (which they never even used to any great effect anyway).

Prometheus looks like a modern corporate toy (plus holograms), the Nostromo looks like a modern piece of industrial equipment. Cutting-edge machinery that prioritizes being built to last over looking cool looks a lot more 1970s than it does Apple product. I guess if they really wanted to be weird obsessive film nerds they'd go back and carefully composite LCD screens over the Nostromo's CRT monitors so it'd be 100% Hard Sci-Fi.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SMG if you want to copypaste a whole bunch of Zizek talking about capitalist penis envy or whatever just go ahead and do it, but understand that this is not in the slightest more intelligent, interesting, or coherent a commentary on the movies than the guy who's mad that Prometheus looks like it was shot in 2012 even though it's canonically a prequel to a movie shot in the late 70s.

Passive-aggressive snitting that people who aren't you are talking about the movies is even worse than either of these, though.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 30, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

What was the exact point where goons started rounding on Blonkamp because I feel like yall unanimously loved him around the District 9 days when you thought he'd be dull and hectoring and had your hearts broke when he turned out to be fun instead

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Hakkesshu posted:

Elysium was not as good as D9, and the ending was extremely stupid, but I liked the rest of that movie a lot. Chappie, though, just looked bad from the get go, and although I haven't seen it, I also have no interest in doing so. That said I still think he's a good pick for a new Alien movie; if nothing else, he'll make something that's very distinctive - I always liked the idea that Alien, perhaps by chance, ended up becoming a sort of anthology series where each movie had a different director with their own wildly creative spin on the concept that was completely different from the last one. Which even Jeunet had, and despite that movie not being great, I would rather take another bizarre Resurrection-style film over the series becoming yet another homogenized "cinematic universe" or whatever.

I would honestly prefer it if Ripley did not return, however.

Elysium was not as good as District 9 but Chappie was incredibly excellent. Your mileage may vary based on how much you want to see Die Antwoord teach a robot to be gangsta I guess; anyway it succeeded on all crucial wierd rap robot fronts

I agree that variations on the theme are better than a unified Star Wars style style guide/universe, he's one of the more tonally bizarre picks they coulda made but that's what makes the project seem interesting. We've already got the deathly serious horror movie Alien, and rad commando space-Vietnam Aliens, and both did their jobs so well that trying to redo them would be ill-advised; I doubt anyone's going to try to do people trying to be solemn at glowing green Repo Man alien better than Alien 3 did; hell I liked Resurrection okay (better than 3 anyway) but it definitely drove the final nail in the coffin of the whole 'Alien as bioweapon/hey there's a new kind of Alien and it's deadlier and freakier lookin' thing. Prometheus tried to go back to the original's cosmic horror but was sort of doomed from the outset trying to set itself against that standard, and wound up being a second-rate At The Mountains of Madness filmification made under the impression that the shoggoths were the good part.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 30, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

88h88 posted:

There were parts of it that were genuinely superb, the whole notion of sentience and AI but then everything surrounding that was pretty terrible.

If you didn't crack up at MOMMY.DAT I don't know what to say man

Also every scene the mall ninja villain was in but then I guess some folks haven't had to deal with that guy IRL

exquisite tea posted:

Yeah. I'm not thrilled about the direction that Alien 3 went in, but I wouldn't want the deaths of Newt/Hicks to be magically reversed, now that it's out there. I just mostly wish they would dare to do an Alien movie without Ripley in it, but that is evidently not gonna happen.

There's nothing magical about it, it's a movie, they are fictional characters. There is no innate, sensical reason to default to treating a nearly 40 year old series of monster movies like it's some kind of exhaustive future history that must be rigidly consistent across all iterations and media platforms, or force anyone trying to write something interesting about it to first work around every terrible or just plain narratively inconvenient idea some guy had in ye olden dayes, except that that's how Star Wars does it, and Star Wars is terrible for this exact reason. There's nothing especially vital to the basic idea of an Aliens movie in the least remembered movie going "Note: Poochie died on his way back to his home planet".

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a movie to have at least some kind of logical narrative connection to previous entries in the series, which have up to this point maintained a consistent and connected narrative. A movie that promotes itself partly on the world that has been created for it should at least attempt to dwell within that same world, or else what's the point really? I don't care that much either way because nothing about the new Alien project particularly excites me. I do think you illustrate the inherent problem of when a franchise tortuously returns to the same characters because they've totally run out of ideas. You see the same thing going on with Terminator and, to a certain extent, the new Jurassic Park.

If they were writing a sequel where the Alien befriends a little girl and saves the space colony from the evil corporate goons I'd be right there with you, at that point it isn't really an Alien movie and I kinda wonder why you made it one, but dispensing with an event that happened offscreen and had no visible lasting effect on the characters or world in one of the least watched and remembered installments of the story is just completely inoffensive; if Hicks or Newt or Burke being dead gets in the way of writing a good story just fuckin bring em back, nobody was doing anything all that great with their deaths. If you want to rewind and see where things would go if LV420 didn't get blown up, or Ripley never got alien impregnated, and you make it clear that's what you're doing, there's no harm to that so long as the movie makes clear you shouldn't be taking the events of all those other movies as understood. Which, really, a sequel decades after the last one shouldn't rest on the shoulders of prior art too much anyway.

Baronjutter posted:

It's hard to always accurately identify what makes something really good, but it's pretty easy to pick up on what can ruin a movie. For me all a movie needs is a consistent plot and characters that act like humans (if they're human). The plot doesn't need to be groundbreaking, it can be some space truckers finding more than they bargained for investigating a beacon, what ever. As long as everyone acts believably, that the plot moves forward in a way that seems natural, and the writing and plot serve more than to just segue from one special-effects extravaganza set-piece to the next.

I get a strong sense from a lot of lovely over-produced big budget effects-driven movies that the plot and characters are secondary to the effects. In Prometheus it felt like a bunch of disconnected separately conceived effects-shots that they thought would be totally cool or gross or scary strung together by a lovely plot to barely string them together, and the primary motive of each character was "move the plot to the next cool scene". While in Alien 1-3 all the big "setpiece" scenes very much felt like a natural result of the plot , and the plot felt like a natural result of the actions and motives of the characters. I don't care about the intention of the film maker. Maybe Aliens was actually conceived as just a but of cool action and scenes and strung together with a basic plot, but it works. Maybe Prometheus genuinely tried to have a good plot and characters, but it didn't work and is poo poo.

Also unlikable uninteresting characters. In Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 I like the characters, I can remember the characters. Riply is great, Paul Riser plays the perfect 80's MBA corporate guy, the crew of the Nostromo feel like real people. The prisoners in Alien 3 are hilarious and nasty. Prometheus has a teen slasher cast, where everyone is suicidally stupid and unlikable so you cheer when they get killed.

You should really read At The Mountains of Madness, first because it's excellent and second because Prometheus is Scott doing to At The Mountains of Madness what Blade Runner was to Do Robots Dream of Electric Sheep. It's not random, it's a compressed sketch of the same plot with radically flattened characters (which is really saying something, in a Lovecraft short story) and reading the source material will help you get at least what they're trying to do.

Scott's a lot more about the visuals and sound and fury than tightly written character studies, which I don't know is a huge deal in science fiction opera, but I'm not sure what is gained either from replacing a vast and uncaring cosmos that humans are just a random blip in with a crazy-evil anthropocentric universe that actively revolves around the principles of creating and destroying humanity, or a bunch of explorers completely out of their element with the Scooby Doo Crew. I'm fairly positive nobody would talk about his movies if they had the kinds of effects teams that accidentally make the monster glow green though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

88h88 posted:

His character arc was just odd though. He wanted the Dev dude gone so he took out a military robot and tried to shoot everyone to death? I know it's a film and interesting stuff needed to happen but I was sat there like "tell Sigourney he's stolen poo poo..."

There was just a whole load of stuff in that film that made no sense outside of 'because it's a film' which is weird because the main point of the film about AI and sentience was put across somewhat seriously and was interesting. It just seemed like the film couldn't decide what it wanted to be.

yeah see this is what I'm saying about some people somehow never having encountered that guy before

he's exactly what would happen if say that senior programmer at my old office, who stashed guns in hidden caches in every room of his whitebread suburban house and constantly advocated for The Purge to happen literally IRL so he could murder his wife and get away with it, got everything he ever wanted

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 1, 2015