Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

Anyone who doesn't like Alien 3 didn't watch the right version, the Assembly Cut is really awesome and right up there with 1 and 2. gently caress that Canadian-South African idiot for ret-conning 3 out of his stupid reboot which will most likely have great CG but be really disappointing.

I think both versions are pretty good and I'm still excited for Blomkamp's version. Alien 3 is a good movie but it also doesn't realize a lot of the potential that Aliens left off with, so retconning it is fair enough in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

There's a horrible Italian ripoff of Alien called Alien 2: ON EARTH that came out before Aliens. Anyways, it's hilariously bad in all ways except the awesome soundtrack but what I love about it is that, in predating Aliens, what is rips off is the eggs and chestbursting, that's it. An alien doesn't burst out of you, rather, an egg hatches and gets you and then in the near future you just explode. The eggs are coming from an alien queen and a mad scientist that chill out in a warehouse on earth and just ship eggs wherever. Don't worry, warehouse basements look like a warehouse basement someone spent ten minutes trying to make like the Nostromo and the derelict ship at the same time, so it looks like a basement with a grated floor and big "ribs" on the sides. The alien itself is a stationary gigantic nose with an eyeball on top of it. It was released outside of Italy under the name Contamination and Alien Contamination. Don't delay my friends:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkDje147gwk

The sick soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxDGSHiJ90s

Am I really gonna be the first person to point out that Alien 2: On Earth and Contamination are completely different movies?

(Contamination is the much more enjoyable film imo, though Alien 2 has a cult following too.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah uh that's not what people (fans or otherwise) complained about.

Like, at all.

And this is coming from someone who was entertained by AvPR (but recognized its flaws).

The darkness thing is actually the most common complaint I see about AVPR, and SMG is totally right (the cinematography is fine, the home transfer just got hosed up).

Otherwise, the second most common beef I see with AVPR is that it's not really an Alien vs. Predator movie, but rather a suburban slasher film with Aliens and Predators shoehorned in, which is... kinda what he addressed there, dude.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The true beauty of the Alien franchise is that the lesser films in it aren't any less fun to discuss than the better ones. Hell, theyr're sometimes more, because Alien and Aliens have been analyzed to death whereas AVP: Requiem is relatively untrod ground (meaning you have to actually work those film-crit brain muscles instead of being able to use other writers' readings as a starting point).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Is Blomkamp's retconning away Alien3 a confirmed thing or just handwringing over ~*possibilities*~?

His concept art for it has a very much alive Hicks.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

"Annalee Call" ruins the whole alphabetical android thing :( Fuckin' resurrection.

Ignore the first name and it doesn't, which works since her being an android was a minor twist.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I will say that AVP: Requiem's darkness isn't nearly as bothersome if you watch it in HD.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

JeffLeonard posted:

He likes Predator and he likes Alien...he just thinks they don't go together. Makes me proud!

It's a lot of fun watching my favorite movies with him because I'm often surprised at what he likes or dislikes about certain movies.

I always have him watch theatrical cuts the first time, except Alien3.

T2: he doesn't like the DC. Doesn't like the ending. Won't watch T3 or Salvation because he heard they're awful (they are). Loved Genisys.

Aliens: he likes the DC's xtra footage EXCEPT he hates that they show the colony before the outbreak.

Alien 3: watched "workprint/assembly" first and liked it. Started to watch theatrical with his friend and stopped 20 mins in.

Likes the JJ Trek movies, won't watch the old stuff.

He could be the first person I know that likes Alien Resurrection. Must be his mom's DNA.

Other than not wanting to watch the old Trek movies (seriously wtf make that kid watch Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country at least) I think your kid might be the goddamn Kwisatz Haderach. :stare:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Elysium had fantastic action and a fairly thin plot that existed almost entirely to hammer a message home. I'm pretty okay with that, honestly.

e: tbh I hope Blomkamp's project ends up getting made. I don't give half a gently caress about it retconning Alien 3 or whatever and it's really weird that anyone else does, it just looked like it had the makings of a really drat fun (and kinda bonkers) action movie.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 3, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This conversation all like

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

...I've read a lot of them and I have a hard time believing 60% of AvP comics are good.

Honestly this sounds about right, depending on where your bar for "good" lies (a lot of them are kinda just fun schlock) and whether we're counting solo Alien and solo Predator comics (there's been at least one Alien comic series, Aliens: Labyrinth, that is legitimately loving incredible).

Also, I kinda dug Predators, and Requiem owns.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Fair warning about Aliens: Labyrinth, though, it is loving nightmarish on a level beyond any of the movies. Only AVP: Requiem with the hospital scene even comes close to how hosed up Labyrinth is.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tenzarin posted:

Was kinda meh. Was expecting more gore.

I wasn't talking about gore.

Harime Nui posted:

the aliens forcing the dude to have sex with his delimbed mother

I was trying to play coy about this part, because :stonk: x 100.

CelticPredator posted:

It's Labyrinth. A comic book I brought to school when I was 8.

Jesus god, dude :magical:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...didn't they just push back Blomkamp's to 2018 because Ridley wanted to go ahead and make Prometheus 2, and Fox didn't want to have two competing movies in the same franchise in the same year?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
that game is the reason why I am to facehuggers what Indiana Jones is to snakes

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the thing about facehuggers in AVP1 (possibly 2?) is, they're almost impossible to see because they are tiny, they are very difficult to hit for the same reason, they move fast as hell, and when one attacks you, it's a one hit kill accompanied by that loving screech (which is one of the loudest sound effects in the entire game iirc) and 5 pounds of alien dick-mouth waving around on your entire screen

the early levels are not overly dickish with them, but at a certain point the devs realized they had access to an instant poo poo-your-pants button and started putting them everyfuckingwhere

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

lizardman posted:

I've always been a bit baffled how Alien sequels keep neutering themselves by reminding you there's only, like, 12 aliens to watch out for. The whole thing with Aliens was that they felt like a relentless, endless swarm.

3 and AvP are the only ones that did this, to my recollection; 3 was deliberately trying to dial it back to the style of the first film, with one alien taking down a group of unarmed non-soldier victims, and AvP did it for continuity reasons (there's only a couple people that get facehugged in that movie and no other explanation for a large group of xenomorphs).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

I think she does know this, and that's why she wanted to do that Aliens rehash thing with Blomkamp. She wanted to give Ripley another chance. And that's fine. But reading what they were planning on doing with it (passing the torch to Newt, erasing Alien 3), I'm super glad that was put on the back burner.

If they want to make more straight-up Alien movies, this is probably the best way to do it, though? 3 isn't a bad movie, but it's a very final one, and you pretty much have to either retcon it or think way outside the box to make more sequels (and the latter approach hasn't worked out great for Fox).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

Alternately, don't make more Alien movies with Ripley.

Well, yeah, but it's significantly easier to get a new protagonist over by having the old one pass the torch than not. Alien movies without Ripley would be the end goal here.

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, this. I mean, sure, in Alien 3 it's basically final in that all the aliens are dead. But ignore that and say "Oh look, we found aliens on another planet! Oh my!" or maybe an Alien ran off before Hadley's Hope exploded and is just chillin on LV-426. The how you get the alien back isn't important. What is, is the new imagery and themes you can try and create with new stories and characters.

It doesn't have to be Aliens fighting Marines and Power-Loaders.

I meant final more in the sense that everyone we know (except maybe Bishop? I don't remember offhand) is very, very dead by the end of Alien 3. It not only closes the book, but loving slams it shut.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

The game ends on a cliffhanger.

No, seriously.

It's... not a cliffhanger, though? We know where Amanda ends up.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hodgepodge posted:

Emulating something accurately is very much analogous to the standards of an audiophile. It's relatively easy to get most emulation working to the point where it's fine if you just want to play the drat game and you won't notice the discrepancies unless you're a purist.

Well, one of the games the article talks about isn't completable unless you're using a cycle-accurate emulator, because it relies on a weird hardware edge case for a thing that's required to progress. That seems a little beyond "audiophile standards."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I rewatched Chappie last night and God that movie loving owns. I am so excited for Blomkamp's Alien, simply because it's him doing it and I am very curious to see what that crazy motherfucker does with the material.

Worst case scenario, it'll be a really drat cool-looking retread, and I'm alright with that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

He's going to do the least crazy and interesting thing with the material.

I'm really not sure how you could say this if you've seen a single movie he's done before. I mean, keep in mind people assumed Chappie was just gonna be South African Short Circuit, and while that wasn't inaccurate it doesn't even half do the movie justice.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

His idea for an Alien sequel is to ignore Alien 3 and do the continuing adventures of Ripley, Hicks, and Newt. In other words, its the kind of thing that would typically happen in a fan-film. Its exactly what Alien fanboys have been asking for since the release of Alien 3.

On the other hand, you've basically got two options for a full-on no-poo poo Alien sequel in 2016: follow from Resurrection, or pretend at least one of the movies never happened.

Nobody wants to see more Resurrection. I think everyone in this thread can agree on that. That poo poo can go right in the trash.

Once you choose to ignore part of the series, the question then becomes "where do you draw the line?" Alien 3 seems obvious, but then consider how Alien 3 ends: the Xenomorphs are extinct, Ripley's dead, the Company lost, the story is over. Period. This doesn't really leave you a lot of options. Meanwhile, Aliens ends on a somewhat less final note, and has significantly more possibilities available. The fact that fanboys want exactly this would seem to be a happy accident, not the primary motivator.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tenzarin posted:

Can you see now why some people hear are so adamant that Prometheus is a "good" movie.

Because it is? It's got some holes in it, but that doesn't automatically make a movie bad- the performances are fun, the designs are incredibly cool (if fairly divorced from the Alien aesthetic), and the themes the movie tries to tackle are genuinely interesting and relatively unexplored territory for blockbusters.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Fans expecting a 'more realistic' Alien were treated to a meticulously realistic 1950s monster movie, because that's what the series has always been.

The problem with Prometheus is that it attempts to serve two masters regarding this. It attempts to be both a modern blockbuster and a 1950s monster movie, and the styles frankly don't gel that well with each other, which I think is the primary reason the campy aspects throw people off.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SirDrone posted:

What happens if a facehugger face hugs a fellow alien?

...yeah, I'm legit curious, how the gently caress would that work? Would you just get another xenomorph of the same type? Is it even mechanically possible, what with the second jaw thing?

(Also, do xenomorphs need to eat in Alien expanded universe stuff?)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Picture: a Xenomorph walking into a Denny's, and ordering Moons Over My Hammy

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of which: do xenomorphs produce milk? Would it be acidic?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

They were guiding humanity; that's why you have the stone tablets that depicting the gods' message to humanity. The Engineers are Zeus, Ganesh and whatever.

That's not what the person you were replying to said. The implication from what he mentioned is that the Engineers have been loving around in the gene pool since before homo sapiens was a thing, and that they also created homo erectus, Neanderthals, australopithecus, etc.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

So... a bigger facehugger comes out? That just raises further questions. :psyduck:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

cargohills posted:

The directors cut of Aliens is loving awful.

I agree that it murders the pacing, but I mean... it's still Aliens? Like even a version of that where everyone was Tommy Wiseau would still be watchable.

Cargohills is right; pretty much every addition to the 'Special Edition' detracts from the film.

Giving Ripley a personal reason to save Newt makes her actions in the film less heroic. That is, she is no longer helping Newt simply because it's the right thing to do, but because she wants to replace her dead daughter. It's unavoidably linked to the colony scene that shows us effectively, what Ripley imagines having happened to Newt's family - the family that will be replaced at the end of the film.

The auto-gun stuff is the most successful, turning the imagery of numbers counting down to zero into a full-fledged motif, but it almost belongs in another film.

I actually pretty much completely agree with you. I will say, though, that I don't think giving Ripley an additional reason to save Newt really negates the one the theatrical cut provides. I kind of like the idea that she does it because, on a conscious level, she wants to do the right thing, but on a subconscious level she's still grieving over her daughter and needs a surrogate one; the tension that creates within her character is interesting to me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh, so that's what's wrong with Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

I'd say it's actually one of the bigger problems. Linden Ashby added a lot to the first movie, and with him, Annihilation might've been a decent bit better.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Yes: a 'good corporation' would nuke the facility like Ripley says, whereas Burke stands for bad corporate practices.

My target is this very ideological notion of a 'good corporation.'

At no point is Weyland-Yutani a "good corporation," ever, in the entire loving franchise. Ripley reluctantly tags along because they seemingly have the same goal, and she and the Marines are very quick to turn on Burke when it turns out they don't. Burke isn't "bad corporate practices," he's corporate PR: feed the people a line of poo poo and then do the polar opposite behind their back.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

People are having trouble with the concept of ideological critique. The assertion is that Ripley is a liberal who pushes for responsible, 'green' corporate practices. Yet the response is that Weyland Yutani is very bad and not 'green' and Ripley hates them - which has nothing to do with what's being asserted.

It should be extremely easy to prove that Ripley is not a liberal in Aliens, or that Aliens is criticizing/satirizing her.

There are no other corporations shown in the film. Weyland-Yutani isn't just a corporation, it is the corporation; they represent the corporate world as a whole, not just one singular malicious actor within it. W-Y being shown as horrendous and Ripley having no fondness for them can, as such, be taken as "corporations are horrendous and Ripley has no fondness for the corporate world."

That's the thing you're missing here, I think (and which, to be fair, I failed to articulate earlier). W-Y isn't treated as its own distinct entity in a world of other corporations, it is the singular corporation. It represents corporations as an idea.

As far as Ripley's ideology in the film: could you support your assertion with the text of the film? I'm curious where you're coming from on this, because while I can see it at the very beginning of the film (before she's aware that W-Y is inherently and unilaterally malicious) her eventual conclusion is that they must be destroyed entirely, rather than pushed towards any particular good practice. The nuking of the colony is the first step towards this. Essentially: Aliens is about a liberal's awakening to leftist ideology.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

I don't like the idea of an Alien movie being trashy. It feels wrong.

It feels wrong, but it's something different, and I dig that. More sequels to long-running franchises need to do ballsy, weird poo poo like that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm gonna laugh when the Blomkamp movie comes out and is really loving good, yet still gets shat on here because Sigourney Weaver used the phrase "fan service" in a Comic-Con panel.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

Basing a movie in strictly fan service is bad

Good thing the filmmaker has never said anything like that, then? The complaint is that Sigourney Weaver and James Cameron (neither of whom are making the movie, though one is acting in it) both said it contains fan service, which is apparently the greatest sin a movie can commit.

e: for all we know, the "fanservice" in question could be stuff like a Power Loader being used at one point, or the simple fact that it ignores 3 and Resurrection.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

It's like a kid who got called a name once and then instead of moving on, just seethed and waited until he was strong enough to get his revenge. Alien 5 is Blomkamp's weird revenge fan film movie. When you see that crap play out, it's just...it's just boring.

I mean, my god people, let it the gently caress go. Why the gently caress are you still mad that a movie killed some character you liked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mquByeLRYNM

Why are you so incredibly mad that it's getting made? Alien: Covenant is still getting made, and in fact is taking priority over Blomkamp's movie (Covenant comes out 2017, 5 comes out 2018).

Also, the problems with Colonial Marines go waaaaaaaaaaay beyond "being based on Aliens." The resemblance to Aliens is like the one thing the game didn't completely botch.

If I'm gonna be real here: I'm not excited for Blomkamp's movie because I hate Alien 3 (I actually really like it). I'm excited for it because I have wanted a new "proper" Alien movie (i.e. not Prometheus or AvP) that didn't completely blow since I was literally a child (I was born '94- Resurrection was one of my earlier massive disappointments) and Blomkamp has a pretty solid chance of making this happen. The selling point to me is that it's one of my favorite "new-school" sci-fi directors taking on a franchise I have adored since, like, age 5, not that he's bringing back two rando characters who I like but don't really give that much of a poo poo about. Like, my thoughts upon finding out that Hicks was back were "holy poo poo, Michael Biehn is actually getting work again! yay!" not "THEY FINALLY DESTROYED THE HATED ALIEN 3."

Covenant will probably be a rad as hell movie. It might even end up being the better movie, on objective grounds. It still doesn't have the sheer "holy poo poo itshappening.gif" factor of Blomkamp making a direct sequel to Aliens for me.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

Also like, I'm glad you're happy about this or whatever, but I don't see what it has to do with me. I'm not stopping the guy from making his dumb fan film. I'm just sad that the only person who'd I'd like to see make an Alien film is wasting it on something so dull and useless that I just don't see it working.

What it has to do with you is, you seem completely incapable of seeing any other appeal to the project than fan service, and I just pointed out a pretty big one. Regardless of how, specifically, it's done, an Alien movie with Blomkamp at the helm is probably going to be rad as all hell.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 26, 2016