Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm unhappy with how Lincoln was killed off.

In my upcoming film, "Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus," he survives in order to fight dinosaurs.

If you're arguing against Blomkamp's movie, this is a bad argument, because I would watch the gently caress out of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SirDrone posted:

Lambert got humped to death.

To be fair, this is implied in the movie anyways, and not exactly subtly. (And now you've taken me back to 2005, when this was being hotly argued on the IMDb Alien boards.)

Aliens: Labyrinth is both a comic and a novel, and the comic owns, but I'm not sure how it'd work out in prose form. Probably even more disgustingly than the comic (and the comic is some hosed up poo poo, even for this franchise).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I was gonna say she's not that old, but holy poo poo she's 66 :stare:

There's no way this movie doesn't include some form of torch-passing. Newt seems like the obvious torch-passee, but again, Carrie Henn really did not want to keep acting after Aliens, and Blomkamp seems like the kind of grognard who'd just make a new character if he couldn't get the original actress back.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, like, SMG, all the stuff you're saying about AVP:R is at least broadly true but it doesn't make any of the mentioned scenes pleasant to watch. It's tonally pretty different from anything else in the series, except maybe Alien 3 (and 3 is still, somehow, less grim), and that makes it unenjoyable to some. It's okay to not like a movie, even if the movie is overall good and the things that put you off of it were deliberate decisions.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jul 26, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

AVPR is as grim as Mars Attack. It's ridiculous and schlocky. All it's missing is the bad dubbing and the electro soundtrack to be an italian ripoff from the 80s.

It's ridiculous and schlocky, but there's a certain misanthropy to its ridiculous shlock that, say, Mars Attacks lacks. You're not wrong about the Italian ripoff thing, though- those movies are often remarkably mean.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I would probably dig the hell out of that, not gonna lie. I'm not calling AVP:R's misanthropy bad, I'm just saying I totally get why some folks don't gel with it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
James Cameron says what James Cameron says because he got handed a big ol' pile of money to say it, and daddy needs a new deep-sea exploration vehicle.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

504 posted:

Use the first Alien as an example, How many people that died in that movie can you name?

Kane, Dallas, Brett, Parker, Lambert, Ash kinda... am I forgetting anyone? That was all off the top of my head, I've seen Alien way too many times. :negative:

quote:

How about the first Friday?

uh... Alice is one of them I think?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Beyond Skyline is supposed to be a hard-R action movie with Iko Uwais and Yayan Ruhian in it, but I'm not entirely sure if it's ever coming out. :smith:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm getting strong Alien: Resurrection vibes. I don't like this.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
MK: Annihilation is a very bad movie, but it is a very bad movie that I will always have a soft spot for because it's just so loving hilarious.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

married but discreet posted:

That line of thinking leads down the dark path towards the 2000AD cinematic universe.

that's... actually not a bad idea though? the Marvel method (solo movies leading up to a big teamup movie) wouldn't work, but using another shot at Dredd as a jumping off point to make ABC Warriors and Strontium Dog and Rogue Trooper movies would be rad as gently caress.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

david_a posted:

2000AD isn't popular enough for any studio to even think about this. I think Dredd eventually made a profit if you factor in home video, but that was also a fairly cheap movie. ABC Warriors would cost a fortune. None of my US coworkers know anything about 2000AD (other than the Stallone movie) despite owning piles of Marvel/DC stuff; I only know about it from growing up in Sweden.

Strontium Dog and Rogue Trooper would be cheap, though, and Dredd literally only failed because the studio went out of their way to gently caress it (that movie got no marketing beyond word-of-mouth and a few TV spots, and got a surprisingly limited release).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SimonCat posted:

Though only a Predator could kill Gary Busey, a Xenomorph would shy away in terror from those teeth.

Nah a Xenomorph would just think Busey was another Xenomorph

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

IMB posted:

I mean that's cool and all but you literally already had a sequel at that point where a major plot point was "hippies see dinosaurs being exploited and break in and free them." Just because it happens in a park in your idea and it happened on the island in the thing that was already made doesn't matter. It's like Vanilla Ice throwing one more beat in his song or whatever and claiming that makes it different. No.

Anyway, I don't mean to poo poo on your idea because i think it's fun when people come up with their own stuff, but if your idea was made for some reason, everyone would have just gone "didnt we just see this"

It's possible for a good sequel to iterate on things that other sequels have done, rather than going in a different direction off the original movie. It sounds like the idea expands on what Lost World did with the ecoterrorists pretty well, honestly.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
at this point I want Blomkamp's movie to happen just because it makes Alien nerds extremely mad

like y'all realize that the common reaction to Blomkamp's idea in the Alien fandom has been basically incoherent angry screaming, right? it's already the BvS of the series and it hasn't even been made yet

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

Because what more story is there to tell about Hicks and Newt? That they're both traumatized by the aliens? Well, there's 2 other Alien movies that cover that.
Family? You could do that with new characters.

What specific story can you tell with Hicks and Newt that is worthy of telling in 2016 that has not already been covered in other Alien films?

Why not tell something brand new within the story?

I mean the concept art suggested that Ripley would become a Xenomorph hybrid and lead a revolution of the alien proletariat and that kind of owned though

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

That really seems like the reason though. People love Newt and Hicks and wish they hadn't been killed off in Alien 3, that's the reason. To think there is any other reason would be extremely naïve.

That's hardly the only way in which Alien 3 closed off most possibilities for the plot. I mean, jesus christ, the movie ends with Ripley hurling herself into a vat of lava.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

True, but its THE thing that people seem to focus on, and it seems to be the main factor in Blomkamp wanting to do the project. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe Blomkamp has this incredibly creative and interesting idea and it just happens to require Newt and Hicks to work, but that's not the sense I've gotten from various interviews and articles I've read.

I think the main factor with Blomkamp wanting to erase Alien 3 is less "hurr durr Hicks and Newt need alive!", and more that literally any story you can tell with the premise that involves any of the established characters has to either erase Alien 3 or clunkily write around it like Resurrection did. And if you're gonna retcon Ripley dying, you might as well at least bring Hicks back too, since Michael Biehn owns and probably needs rent money.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

I'd rather see an indulgent AvP movie based on the comics as a "love letter to the fans" than a movie that can't possibly tell its story without retconning alien 3 assembly cut out of existence, yes. I'd rather see something fresh and creative and good though.

the problem is you'd still have to retcon at least part of Alien 3 to do that, because Alien 3 ends with the extinction of xenomorphs. like, half of why Resurrection is so bizarre comes from it trying to work around Alien 3, because Alien 3 is pretty much the most brazen attempt to set a franchise on fire I have ever seen: it permanently and unambiguously kills not only the protagonist, but every recognizable side character, almost every new side character, and even drives the antagonists to total extinction.

it's pretty telling, honestly, that until Blomkamp's idea, every single Alien movie after Resurrection has been a prequel to the Ripley ones. because short of something really outside-the-box like what Resurrection did, that's pretty much the only way you can go without ignoring 3.

e: also, jesus christ, they're not gonna literally erase Alien 3 from existence even if Blomkamp gets to make his movie, it'll still be around and in print. basically the absolute worst case scenario is that we end up with a Terminator situation where there's several different competing "canons" with different stuff in them, and that doesn't seem so bad to me.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 3, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Y'all never see the utter shite that was Chappie then? I try to ignore that bollocks exists too, it started off so well, the premise of an AI learning as a human would at an accelerated rate is something you could to lots with. Alas the concept was squandered and we got Die Antwoord doing soundtrack and art direction as well as being poo poo actors to boot and then some weird Hugh Jackman going apeshit using an ED-209 to shoot people because reasons... When the best actor in your film isn't actually a human actor you hosed up.

That poo poo was loving terrible, definitely a bomb on his record. Elysium was decent but 'cmon man, claiming he hasn't made a bad movie just isn't true.

Chapple loving ruled though??? Also I'm pretty sure Sharlto Copley is an actual dude, not an IRL robot, though the sheer amount of random poo poo he shows up in kind of makes me wonder sometimes (he is the best part of Chappie, though, agreed- his performance pretty much carries it)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Biomute posted:

I thought District 9 was ok. I don't get why people think Blomkamp is a genius because of it.

His other movies seem to be him retreading his steps with an increasing lack of impact.

Blomkamp is the M. Night Shyamalan of Science Fiction.

That's actually not a bad comparison, but not from the angle you're probably meaning it from.

Both directors are absurdly sincere. Like, they wear their hearts on their sleeves to an extent that basically nobody else in film matches. The primary difference I see is that Blomkamp is a good bit more competent than Shyamalan; Chappie was as self-indulgent and plainly made for the enjoyment of its creator as anything Shyamalan has made, but Blomkamp remembered to actually have something there other than self-indulgence (a borderline Serkis-level performance from Sharlto Copley and a pretty cogent argument for the illegalist end of anarchism) so it actually works.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

I love this method because they had the budget to eggs and a few different locations to shoot in but just for one big alien face so the "reproduction" method is that when someone comes near the alien egg it pulses and then explodes some goop over the person. Shortly after, the person explodes. That's it. :laffo: This movie owns though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NUAehspCTU

Honestly I almost find the eggs from Contamination a little scarier. Xenomorphs at least kill you to keep their life cycle going, the Contamination eggs just kill you for... no apparent reason.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Neo Rasa posted:

It's true the movie kind of does a bad job at being creepy because it gives the eggs that adorable warbling sound and all the body explosions are in extreme slow motion so they look crazy at first but then you clearly see the squib/etc. stuff used for the effect. But the concept, especially that the ending is just straight up "sorry folks they actually did distribute them all over NYC, the planet dies" is definitely up there. The total lack of endgame for the alien at the end, how it even managed to get back, Italian cinema has always been 100% correct in worrying first about whether or not something is cool and worrying never about if something makes sense, the best ones come together in a dream logic way that I love.

If anyone wants to check it out in English, just please don't mix it up with "Alien Contamination," this is an unrelated and terrible movie but was also called just Contamination in some releases.

I think you might have that backwards about Alien Contamination, AC was the alternate title Cannon used when they released Contamination in the US.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kulkasha posted:

Just read up on the various Alien3 scripts, and that Eric Red script... :stare:

Does it have a lot of vehicular homicide in it?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Huh, bit of a departure for Red then

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Xenomorph is a bad poster, because everything he writes is a thinly-veiled advertisement, but it's like getting upset at Nintendo Power magazine.

Like his posts on the actual movies could be counted on one hand, and amount to basic stuff like "Alien is scary." and "Prometheus isn't naturalistic." And this is after presumably devoting decades of his life to the topic. Things are not going to get any better.

sir this is a wcdonalds drive thru

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

I want a Face/Off remake where Fassbender plays both.

Fass/Off

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So, uh, the ending:

Am I supposed to infer that the Covenant ends up turning into the derelict from the first movie somehow, or are there still remaining blanks to be filled in? Because Covenant seems to not so much imply as bluntly state that David made Xenomorph Classic by dicking around with the black goo and Shaw bits, and trying to reconcile that with the derelict being an Engineer ship and having what appears to be a dead Engineer in it is making my brain hurt.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

Honestly, the only important continuity, the one that has actual meaning and story (Ripley's story) is still intact. The hows and whys leading up to it don't matter.

See, that's the thing, because the little chunks of "why" presented in Covenant are honestly loving with one of the big things I like about Ripley's story. I'm much more fond of the idea that a crew of space truckers just bumblefucked into something horrible because the universe is a cold and uncaring place full of horrible things, than of the idea that the Xenomorphs were part of some grand design by a robot that wanted to be God.

Not that the latter idea isn't loving awesome on its own- I feel like Ridley Scott's paying off a lot of themes he started playing around with in Blade Runner with these movies- I'm just not sure that it gels particularly well with the earlier Alien movies.

Lord Krangdar posted:

The reason you can't fill in the blanks yet is because they haven't been filled in yet. I don't mean that in a hostile way but I don't really get why so many people are confused about this, it would be like wondering why episode 2 of the Star Wars prequels doesn't lead right into episode 4.

It's less that I'm wondering why episode 2 doesn't lead into episode 4, and more that I'm a little confused as to what the hell episode 3 is gonna be about, given that (a few weird little inconsistencies aside) it seemingly does.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MrMojok posted:

I was thinking about getting an AvP game on Steam. What are the thread's thoughts on the Aliens Vs Predator Classic 2000 compared to the 2010 AvP game?

I'm sure I will play as all three characters at some point, but I am mainly interested now in playing as the Marine. I did play the 2000 game, but it has been ages. I'm wondering how the graphics hold up today, and how the USCMC campaign in it stacks up to this more recent 2010 version.

Get the 2000 game if you want to repeatedly poo poo your pants because of goddamn facehuggers. Get the 2010 game if you wanna play a decentish modern FPS with a hilarious Alien campaign where you're followed around by a facehugger conga line.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The worst part of the Aliens special edition, for my money, is the bit with Newt's family. I cannot think of a better example of one scene just utterly torpedoing a movie's pacing.

The thing is, the theatrical cut is set up so that you approach it differently based on whether or not you've seen Alien. If you have, you know exactly what Ripley's talking about and you know that she's in the right when arguing with the Weyland-Yutani suits; if you haven't, then other than a couple of hints like the chestburster dream, it's deliberately left completely ambiguous whether she's right or just crazy. The Newt's family scene fucks this up by straight up loving showing you a facehugger, in a scene that's unambiguously diegetically "real," before most of that even happens.

Regardless of that, in the theatrical cut, the fact that the Hadley's Hope colony has been infested with xenomorphs is slowly revealed throughout the initial exploration of it by the Marines in an incredibly tense sequence. The woman cocooned to the wall is an incredibly effective moment in the theatrical cut, because in addition to serving as a release valve for the preceding tension (as all good violent scenes in horror do), it brings both chunks of the audience onto the same page: those who have seen Alien know what's about to happen because they saw it happen to John Hurt, those who haven't suddenly realize that Ripley was totally right because it's deliberately visually similar to her chestburster dream. The bit with Newt's family takes a big ol' poo poo all over this by literally, directly telling the viewer that the Hadley's Hope colony got infested with Xenomorphs, way before this whole sequence.

Essentially, it utterly deflates the tension of the first act by changing foreshadowing to outright dramatic irony. It's a heavy-handed addition to a movie that did just fine using a light touch on that particular aspect, and it utterly blows.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ruddiger posted:

When I saw Covenant, I thought the mouth strike on the guy in the shower looked kinda boring, but then I read that they trimmed the shot and originally you see the mandible retract and the guy's face kinda caves in on itself and now I want to see that. Would make for a nice disgusting parallel with the victim earlier in the movie who barfs up the neomorph.

I sort of wonder if we're gonna get an unrated cut at some point. It surprises me none that some of the gore had to be trimmed.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

Well it did because a lot of gory scenes were cut

Is there an overview anywhere?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Seems like that was the only gore shot that didn't make it in, then (aside from an alternate Oram-burster that looked like a dong).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Totally tangential, but did anyone else kind of laugh at the main title sequence in Covenant? The trick from the first Alien only really works when it's one short word, not when there's a subtitle. :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I can't imagine it wasn't deliberately meant as a joke. Both my girlfriend and I were cracking up loudly in the theater by the second half of it.

e: seriously, people massively undersell how comedic Prometheus and Covenant are. Prometheus has been covered to death in this thread- just off the top of my head you've got the exploding Engineer head and Vickers getting splatted- but in Covenant, the action sequences stop just short of being literally loving Looney Tunes. Daniels getting flung around like a rag doll by that tether was one of the funniest things I've seen in an action movie in a while, and there's absolutely no way in hell it wasn't deliberate.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 25, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Toady posted:

The subtitle glyphs, for a moment, appear to be forming the word ALIEN but scrambled. Nerds are too smart for this "trick."

Nah, it's a neat typographical effect and I like its use in the first film. I just found the callback to it in Covenant comical because it goes on about three times as long as in the original. You seem to be assuming I'm calling it a negative, when in fact I largely liked the comedy in Covenant (I feel like they slightly overcompensated for nobody getting the jokes in Prometheus, but overall it made the movie entertaining as hell).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
A more subtle gag that I didn't catch in the moment, but that I just realized:

In the "crew logs" prerelease video, James Franco cuts his log off because he has a fever and he's "burning up."

Consider what happens to him in the escape pod.

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
As far as the characters in Covenant (and I sincerely apologize for always being a page behind): I thought they were pretty much fine. The protagonists were Daniels, Tennessee, and Oram, and they all got a pretty decent amount of development (I hope Daniels somehow gets to build that log cabin :smith:); Oram isn't the brightest bulb, but he's not really shown as being super competent or intelligent before the egg scene, and he's actively defied and treated as a blowhard by the rest of the crew. The rest are plain ol' redshirts, and their presence is a necessary evil if you wanna show some dudes getting hosed up by aliens without killing off all the protagonists.

Toady posted:

The reverse is true.

Nah, there's no "true" when it comes to humor. Note that I'm not exactly jumping up CP's rear end for not laughing at the scene.