Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SyRauk posted:

edit: Okay, after watching these, why the gently caress do these creators make the android as some mustache twirling villain?

It's the Alien 40th anniversary, where the android was a huge piece of poo poo. :v: If they do one for Aliens we'll probably get all the nice androids then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
God The Predator sucks

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean they're kinda like cum in a way

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

Not when it's a great story at the expense of other, better stories.

I still maintain that Prometheus and Covenant have great ideas that would have been better served as movies divorced from the Alien franchise. I'd have loved to have seen what Ridley Scott could have come up with if he was really allowed to let loose and not be saddled with the baggage of a pre-existing franchise.

I'm gonna be honest, I agreed with this take for a very long time but it doesn't really hold up.

Alien has always had a really loving wonky canon and you of all people should be well aware of this; Prometheus and Covenant don't detract from the other movies any more than, like, the original comics series detracts from Alien 3 or vice versa. Pretty much every aspect of Alien canon has been multiple-choice for as long as "Alien canon" has been a concept, and there's always gonna be cool possibilities and stupid possibilities, and given they can all coexist I'm fine with whoever spitballing whatever.

David's whole thing is cool as hell, and if some other director wants to come overwrite it later on like "actually no David never existed" and do their own thing, the door's open. :shrug:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

s.i.r.e. posted:

This is one of the dumbest parts of Aliens; there's no reason for the company to bring Ripley and the reasons for her going back are total poo poo (give her back her pilots license? lol). Within the span of 5 minutes Ripley's told that "We have a colony living down there and they never complained about any aliens." to "We lost contact with the colony, and we need you down there... well... you're the star of the film so you're going..." It's poorly done. The whole beginning of the film kinda blows until Ripley wakes up on the Sulaco.

They bring her because they have reason to suspect that whatever hosed up the colony is the same thing she was yelling about, and having someone who's seen these things in an advisory role makes sense.

As far as her motivations for going, the pilot's license is what Burke offers her, but she's going for the sake of closure moreso than that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

Well I mean, on one level I agree with you because a lot of the EU is all over the map, but the bulk of it is self contained and doesn’t really have ramifications for the other stories. The prequel movies kind of go out of their way to do exactly that, and the results are both unnecessary and of questionable quality IMO.

Er... not really, though? The prequels just establish a weird tangential line away from what we already know.

All you'd have to do to get things "back on track" is establish that David was copying the Engineers' existing work, and there's already evidence for this in Prometheus (the Deacon, the giant starfish pseudo-facehugger).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’m not sure what that means, but the mistake is that you are not interpreting the basic onscreen events.

-The character is scared.
-A snake appears.
-The character is no longer scared.

Instead of rejecting this entire scenario as impossible (which is silly), it’s effortless to conclude that the appearance of the snake is what caused the character to relax. So what does that tell us about him?

it's a signifier of his homosexual-tinged masculinity; he's most comfortable around dicks rather than vaginas

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

General Battuta posted:

its really amazing how the actions of prometheus crew and scientists are so freaking far beyond the pale that its actually impossible for a bystander to believe

proposal: find my creator and ask for more life

reality: a thirty thousand year old albino bodybuilder beats me to death with the severed head of my android son

proposal: use biology skills to impress my geologist crush

reality: i choke to death while fellating an alien snake

proposal: a life support module to keep me alive

reality: i step out the door and am instantly crushed under the inexorable wheel of a gigantic alien juggernaut

proposal: meet my creator

reality: an insane narcissistic old man, the steve jobs of synthetic person products, spends a trillion dollars to fly me into deep space with a crew of idiots and his unacknowledged daughter so that i can blow up god's decapitated head in a microwave. my idiot robo racist boyfriend impregnates me with a squid baby which i must cut from my living belly and sic upon my divine creator to father an abomination

proposal: continue to seek out my creators, the engineers

reality: the head of android jeffrey dahmer escapes my duffel bag and exterminates the entire engineer species in a sickening biological holocaust

proposal: a 'perfect organism'

reality: a man follows david down into abandoned catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of eggs lying in wait. grasping the nearest one by the flaps he shakes it madly yelling "david what do you believe in"

:holymoley:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

UmOk posted:

Movie Twitter is almost as dumb as CineD

...eh? "Aliens is actually a Vietnam allegory" is like the coldest take of all time

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

But Weyland-Yutani is already 'a good company'. Their android is programmed for political correctness. They had safety policies in place, which Burke violated. They could have done more, in gradual a sort of way (more caution around sites, taking care not to hire criminals like Burke, etc.), but no radical change is necessary.

By this logic, every corporation on Earth is a "good company," because they all have fig-leaf policies designed to make any revelation of malfeasance easy to pin on a single bad actor. That doesn't mean they actually follow these policies; in fact, this is the entire basis of malicious compliance as an anti-corporate tactic, as generally, following those fig-leaf procedures to the letter isn't supposed to be meaningfully possible (meaning that when you do follow them, you end up gumming up the works).

In fact, this very tension is what makes Bishop interesting. All these procedures and moral standards are just fig leaves that the human bosses throw out the window whenever convenient; Bishop, however, was programmed to hold to them inflexibly rather than seeing them as conveniences, and is resultingly one of the most ethical characters in the movie. I'm fairly sure Ripley even has a line that points at this.

Every time you bring up Aliens, you claim it portrays Burke as a single malicious actor acting independently of Weyland-Yutani, but I'm really not entirely sure that holds up, because given how W-Y as a company is portrayed (Ripley's hearing, for instance), it seems to be a company made up almost entirely of Burkes, who would have all done the exact same thing if given opportunity to do so.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The point is not that Ripley or Bishop are bad people, but simply to note the ideological limitation of the film. Where does Bishop’s good behaviour reach its limit?

What I mean is that Bishop very well be programmed for humanitarianism, and this may very well make him a better person than Burke. But that still puts Bishop directly at odds with the workers. If W-Y is indeed a company made up entirely of bad apples, as you say, then why has Bishop done nothing against them? Why does he pose no threat? Again, simply because he is there to serve the corporation, and the corporation exists purely to amass profit. The malicious Ash models were ‘glitchy’ and therefore less profitable.

But no company is entirely made up of Burkes. Probably most of them are very nice people, because the problem is not individual people being greedy.

Firstly: Bishop poses no threat to his masters because, even if he is programmed to hold inflexibly to a "best-case-scenario" form of W-Y corporate policy, he is still programmed to hold inflexibly to W-Y corporate policy. His opposition to his masters is, essentially, a consequence of their own hypocritical cognitive dissonance rather than him somehow developing class consciousness.

Secondly, this may be mildly controversial because Burke is such a famously slimy and creepy character by the end, but... honestly, he's one hundred percent pleasant towards Ripley and co, up until the moment that their deaths become more profitable than their survival. It's also noteworthy that at no point is he ever actually shown to be individually greedy; he's simply attempting to curry favor with the corporation he works for by creating more profit for them. He's not an individually bad person who the film places all the blame on, and looking at him with the dichotomy between "nice" and "mean" you propose the movie follows leads to strange results; instead, he's an example of how the perverse incentives of capitalism corrupt people and lead to unethical behavior in the pursuit of profit and advancement. Every company, in fact, is entirely made up of Burkes, because being a Burke and being willing to prioritize your masters' profit over your own ethics is an absolute requirement to succeed in the corporate world. If you're not a Burke, you get fired or ousted and a Burke replaces you.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

porfiria posted:

Can anyone explain why Prometheus and Covenant are so into the mystery of who created humanity?

Like, is it really a mystery, Ridley?

*gestures wildly at the entire history of world religion and myth*

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

alf_pogs posted:

strong agree, it's cosmic horror. if you're a human you either die or go insane. not great news

see, i kind of don't like this take. an uncaring universe, as the first four movies present, is not the same thing as a hateful universe, as Prometheus and Covenant present.

in the "original" Alien movies, sure, the xenomorphs are horrifying, can easily demolish someone in a straight fight, and will probably kill you if you're not very prepared for them. but you can be prepared for them, and if you know what you're getting into and how to fight them, or if you're drat good at learning that stuff on the fly, you'll probably make it out. the universe doesn't contort itself to gently caress Ripley over, or present her with an insurmountable foe; it simply puts her in a very difficult situation, that she is able to rise to.

in the late Scott movies, the universe almost feels like it's actively contorting itself to give humanity the middle finger at every turn. it's not presenting its characters with a difficult, but surmountable, situation; it's presenting them with their own deaths, plain and simple, and the only variable is what hosed up way they're going to die in.

i don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, and i like the Scott movies, but it's not the same tone as the other Alien movies, and frankly i don't want it to be. they're good as separate-but-related things.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
like, compare what happens to Shaw to what happens to Ripley after the first Alien, and you'll probably notice what I'm talking about. Shaw actually does rise to the situation and make it out alive... and it just gets her vivisected by David, because the universe hates humanity. she doesn't get to keep going. she doesn't get to actually survive. all that's left of her in the next movie is a broken recording of her singing Country Roads and a bunch of scattered parts.

that's a drat good gut punch in and of itself, but it also brings the tonal change into sharp relief. the late Scott movies are distinctly nihilistic in a way that the franchise, even at its darkest, never was before, and I think anyone expecting that out of non-Scott Alien stuff needs to seriously recalibrate their expectations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lord Krangdar posted:

What are some examples of this? Seems to me the characters keep putting themselves in harm's way.

first off, I feel like a lot of why it comes off as that is because we know the dangers and are relatively detached from the situation, whereas they have no loving clue what they're getting into and, by the time they do, are generally having to think fast (which doesn't generally equate to thinking smart). the characters in the late Scott movies behave fairly realistically, and it turns out that real people tend to make dumb fuckups pretty often, especially when they're having to think on their feet in unfamiliar situations.

but past that, the whole plot of Prometheus is more or less an example: Weyland devotes huge amounts of time and effort to trying to find "humanity's forefathers" and wakes up an Engineer... and it just snaps his neck and starts rampaging, because it turns out humanity's creators hate us for existing and actively want to kill us. that's not even subtextual, it's a very explicit thing in the movie. there's also, as I mentioned, how Shaw turns out. there's nearly the entire cast in Covenant, who get deliberately lulled into a false sense of security by David so that he can slaughter them in horrifying ways (and he even lets Daniels think she can survive, only so he can experiment on her the same way as Shaw).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

I mean you’re acting like they didn’t make kids toys for Aliens before

i mean, back when they did that before, Alien was a really hot IP that the vast majority of kids would have at least heard of in some form, even if they hadn't straight-up seen Aliens on VHS or TV (or, hell, in theaters if they had cool parents).

however, there's been a grand total of four Alien movies made this century. AVP, AVP Requiem, Prometheus, and Alien Covenant. the one that did the best out of those, by a fairly wide margin, is the one that did not have the word "Alien" in its name. if kids of 2020 know the franchise at all, it's through video games, and... let's be honest here, the situation on that front has been dire as gently caress for years too. Alien Isolation is good, and probably the thing with the best odds of having kids recognize it simply because so many facecam youtubers have played it, but Colonial Marines is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

The Aliens cartoon is a myth

https://youtu.be/4DZAn7XB4NM

I'm at work and phoneposting so I haven't watched the video, but isn't that kind of an oversimplification? If I remember correctly Operation Aliens was absolutely a thing in the works, and just got scuttled before they could make more than a pitch reel.