Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Zadok Allen posted:

Everything sounds great except for CGI Ian Holm. Like, can Hollywood please stop this morose trend of CGI’ing dead actors please? Just write around it FFS.

I share the distaste for this practice as well but if involved parties are okay with it then I am too because it does kind of make sense. Bishop mentions those models always being twitchy in Aliens so it seems reasonable that there would be other, identical droids out there. It would make it weird how none of the Nostromo crew recognized him as a droid however if there's a factory pumping out that exact model of droid somewhere, but if they're spending most of their lives in cryosleep and hauling stuff across the stars then they wouldn't be very informed about that kind of thing, I guess? I'm just wondering if they'll go the predictable route of Rook going haywire like Ash or not.

Xenomrph posted:

In other news I’m having dinner with Andrew Gaska (author of the Alien RPG) tomorrow, and he’ll also be at the Game On Expo in Phoenix this weekend.

Good luck resisting the urge to squirt ketchup everywhere during dinner :smug:

In other Romulus news, for anyone who missed it there was a set pic posted a while back and it looks like they've gone for the retro futuristic style of Alien & Alien: Isolation which is great to see: https://twitter.com/fedalvar/status/1651263216624738306

Apparently we might get a trailer for Romulus on Alien Day as well, with the film releasing this year it seems. For anyone wondering about the timeline, Romulus takes place between Alien and Aliens.

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Somehow big chap returned

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Okay a swarm of facehuggers is actually really freaky but maybe that's just playing off my arachnophobia. Kinda surprised an Alien film hasn't featured something like that before though come to think of it.

Anyways teaser looks good and they definitely nailed the visuals. I'm excited :)

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ruddiger posted:

There’s a swarm of facehuggers in avp

All I remember from that is a Predator swinging an alien around by its tail which was hilarious and also another alien having a comically long tail just so they could do a shot of it impaling and lifting a predator up to its face. Oh and that flashback scene of the huge alien swarm attacking the predators on top of the pyramid which was a fun clip but also kinda annoying in a "This is what you were hoping the film would be, isn't it?" type of way.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

quote:

The value is immeasurable

Okay this is funny but real talk I hope their highly collectible and limited run doesn't sell out and they're left with boxes of junk they can't get rid of because they were greedy and anyone wanting it just gets it elsewhere like The_Doctor implied.

The way they talk about their target audience screams that they just wanna milk hardcore fans because they think they can but it's a freakin' Blu-Ray lol even $50 is absurd. They're not Sideshow Collectibles who actually put out some cool stuff.

And on that note holy poo poo do I regret selling some of the cool stuff I had from there :(

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Zadok Allen posted:

When watching Romulus there’s going to be a lingering thought in my mind about David having his war with the Engineers in the far reaches of space somewhere.

Ridley said both engineers and Weyland Yutani would be after David, since David sends the transmission to WY to tell them about the alien.

I have no idea what route Ridley would have taken, but I really liked the idea of a haunted house in space type of scenario, whereby that colony ship is floating through space and full of monstrosities and body horror from David having conducted countless experiments. Whether humanity or engineers got there first, they could have gone really wild visually with the first ones to board the ship finding all kinds of hosed-up things. The trilobite in Prometheus was one of the highlights, and I like to think that they could have concocted a lot of weird poo poo to have humans/engineers encounter before we finally see David's perfected Alien, given that the Covenant one still wasn't quite there and missing the biomechanical aspects. I liked the thought that David continued on his descent into madness to the point that he begins to experiment on himself and that's how we end up with the biomechanical monster and possibly a System Shock scenario where David's consciousness is part of the ship while his physical body is surrendered to experiments, he becomes a Mother equivalent that fucks with the humans that board and of course chaos ensues when the engineers catch up.

Then again, for all the complaints of how humanoid the engineers appeared in Prometheus, I do think they did a superb job with the design of the last living engineer that's awakened from stasis. His body looks so similar to the alien with how biomechanical it appears (and clearly isn't a suit, either) which suggests they experiment with the black goo on themselves to resemble the alien they clearly worship as we see in the ampule room. Looks more xeno than the deacon at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

Look the idea of aliens building a ship out of people? Kinda fun. The derelict being made out of people? loving stupid. Get out of here

One thing I really liked about the derelict in Alien was how it looked like the walls were sweating and more of a biomechanical thing with the jockey fused to it rather than just a spaceship. It's one thing that bugged me about Prometheus, is the ship was way too clean and looked much more like a movie set in comparison. Obviously the conditions and story explain the difference but man I wish it wasn't so neat in Prometheus and they'd leaned further into things like the changing mural in the ampule room, for example. Would have been interesting if the walls of the ship in Prometheus were swelling/pulsating or something in comparison to the Alien derelict being dead. Minor complaint and essentially nitpicking at the end of the day, but Alien absolutely nailed that atmosphere so well.