Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

sigher posted:

It's space, so hauling it probably costs next too nothing once you've started moving; no need to waste time waiting for things to get refined when you can load the whole thing up and let it do it's thing for months on end while it's being towed back.
I can't recall if it was the novelization or somewhere else but it was stated in the related materials that this was the case. The refinery process took a fairly long time so they shipped the whole thing to have the refined product available for use by the time the ship arrived at its destination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Neo Rasa posted:

But generally oh my God I wish the Alien Isolation people could be given Isolation's budget to make a Thing game. I hate how Colonial Marines had people not as interested in that one at first (myself included), probably one of the best games I've ever played.
All this talk really makes me want to go back and replay Alien: Isolation again. The gameplay was excellent, but even more so the story and artistic design was so faithful to that setting. The amount of work the devs put into recreating that world as depicted in Alien was amazing and I spent a lot of time in that game just roaming around taking that in.

Well, I also spent some time playing "Messin' around with Sasquatch" by setting various booby traps next to noisemaker devices so I could watch the Alien come stalking and then get frightened off. Bonus points for the time that self-made minigame came to an abrupt unexpected end when the Alien jumped away from a trap only to land right next to the desk I was hiding behind. It just looked at me with the angry head shudder the Alien does in the movies right before it strikes and then game over, man!

What a goddamn great game.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

well why not posted:

Covenant does have double the Fassbender, which is obviously great. I also really enjoyed the themes of faith and divine interaction. More classic xenos in this, which I'd kinda forgotten. It has the - perhaps dubious - honor of the best ever "actor shares the screen with themselves" scene, where David gives Walter a spooky robot kiss after their subtext-free flute lesson.
Did anyone else who saw Covenant during the theatrical release have the LOL moment a friend of mine had where some other guy in the audience had apparently been okay with all the horror up to this point but immediately noped out when David kissed Walter?

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

there should be a movie about a lone predator hunting humans but he has to avoid the game warden or he'll be fined
A Predator tired of the stalker grind discovers the amazing human invention of board games can be used to sublimate his hunting instincts in a chill way. Unfortunately, he reverts to type after getting humiliated by a Washington Square Park chess hustler.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

NikkolasKing posted:

Speaking of which, why the hell are Weyland-Yutani so obsessed with getting a xeno, to the point they'd buy this no doubt very expensive hunk of junk station/ I've only seen Alien 1-3 and the AVP films, and it's also been a while, but I don't recall it ever being explained.
Along the same lines, I've always found it interesting that no one seems to give a scintilla of a gently caress about the Space Jockey's ship and all the technology it might have aboard it. Admittedly, with the prequel movies you could extrapolate that WY has found enough Engineer tech over the years that new samples don't mean much.

Rewatching Alien a few months ago I found it interesting that there are some general hints in the movie Alien that finding small-a alien artifacts isn't a big deal. No one seems to think the possibilty of the signal being of non-human origin would be particularly remarkable and even a lowly towing vessel like the Nostromo has translation software that figures out the transmission's meaning in a few hours. IIRC Kane does say when he sees the alien vessel that it's not like anything he's seen before but again the inhuman nature of the ship itself doesn't seem noteworthy to the crew.

I don't think any of the Alien EU material has explored this idea, but maybe humanity in the Alienverse has come across a lot of remnants of numerous non-human civilizations like the Space Jockey and his ship over the years. Enough that the vessel in Alien is distinct from others Kane had seen but not special enough that it's very existence was an amazing new discovery. Some of it marginally functional enough to be sending out radio signals and the like but otherwise not providing any real info on the species that left the artifacts behind.

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

Xenomrph posted:

I’d have to re-read the RPG but I think it does throw one hit kill traps at players, in fitting with the setting.

I mean, just look at facehuggers.

Or rather, don’t. Don’t be like Kane.
Well, it does, but the players can avoid those with actions such as, "Keeping your spacesuit on in an unfamiliar environment so you don't inhale alien spores," and, "Not sticking your face directly in front of the opening maw of what looks like a giant venus flytrap." The Aliens can still get ya, but they then at least have to work for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peyote Panda
Mar 10, 2019

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i had a dream they had xenomorphs in a petting zoo and i got to pet the xenomorph once
I had a dream not too long ago (right after an Aliens movie series rewatch, go figure) that I was the unwilling subject of a WY experiment to create superhuman hybrids ala Ripley8 but the only actual effect was that I produced a pheromone that made the xenomorphs register me as one of them. The xenos were very confused that I hadn't sprouted the tubules on my back and couldn't secrete resin to help build the hive, so to help me mature properly they kept spitting up partially-chewed piles of metal shavings and trying to get me to eat them like a momma bird feeding its babies.

The xenomorphs treating me better than the company felt very on-brand.