Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

josh04 posted:

Scott's definitely got some capital-v Views about religion though, yeah. Prometheus is a breathtakingly cynical movie.

The deliberate cynicism is what makes both films so interesting and memorable, though. This is dialed up to 11 in Alien Covenant. The religious characters receive the most brutal deaths, which is intentional:

Remember the religious Captain Oram? Dies horribly screaming from the chestburster right before David, the clear Lucifer/Satan allegory, reveals his true identity to him. Kind of deserved it IMO for deciding to explore an uncharted planet on a “leap of faith” and risking everyone’s lives in the process.

Remember Rosenthal? The woman with the Star of David necklace? She gets her head graphically bitten off by an alien. There’s even a couple of shots of her head floating in the fountain of life/baptist pool.

What about Upworth? Receives a literal bloody facial (from her slaughtered husband!) by the penis monster in the shower right before she dies.

I did like the part in Prometheus how the pathogen’s evolution from Holloway —> Shaw —> Trilobite resembled an Unholy Trinity. And the trilobite itself is literally an aborted fetus that went on to kill God. Some capital-v Views on religion indeed!

The Alien prequels are inspired by Paradise Lost, Frankenstein (subtitled the Modern Prometheus!), and HP Lovecraft. All three are quite deep explorations of human emotions of hubris/arrogance/vanity and how they lead to suffering and eventually death. It’s why the characters “act stupid” (And I don’t wanna hear how scientists making dumb decisions is bad writing, especially in a post-COVID world!). In Paradise Lost Satan becomes demented by his own vanity which leads to his fall. So remember in Covenant when David got the poem’s author wrong? Or when the Alien destroyed the computer screen with his face on it? Lucifer and David, supposedly both creations of perfection, become flawed just like the creatures called humans they hate the most simply by being grandiose, arrogant assholes.

Frankenstein is about the clear dangers of humans creating life/AI and the moral implications of that.

Pretty much anything by Lovecraft is about humans discovering they live in an indifferent, chaotic universe that doesn’t give a poo poo about them, which is inherently anti-religious. Prometheus had a strong Mountains of Madness influence on it: The Engineers created both humans and the black goo/Alien. The Elder Things created both humans and the shoggoths. Both were eventually destroyed by their own creations. It’s clear Ridley Scott is saying the same is gonna happen to humans with AGI lol.

There’s more but I’d have to watch them again for more juicy details. And here’s hoping Alien Romulus doesn’t suck. Ridley said he saw and loved it so there’s that.

Zadok Allen fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

feedmyleg posted:

Same. I also loved it when it came out, but now I just love it more and more.

Covenant I bounced off the first time around, but that one's really grown on me. It's way better than its detractors give it credit for. It still pains me that it pulled some punches from the end of Prometheus and may have been a bit compromised by studio demands or fan backlash, but it's a really loving cool movie that makes a lot of bold, bold swings. It also celebrates what is so cool about Alien at the same time, which doesn't feel necessary but the more I settle into it the more I enjoy that aspect.

I felt a bit similar about Blade Runner 2049 the first time around—at first I felt like it was a great movie despite having to shoehorn in the Deckard aspect of the story. But after a few viewings that really settled in and while may or may not be essential, I have grown to like it.

I think you’ll love this. I normally ignore video essays but the production values were exceptional here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLw_fQn5ors

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Ripley 8 > Ellen Ripley.

Fight me.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Hey, maybe they could. Don't forget Blade Runner is set in... 2019. Blade Runner 2 is 2049. I don't think a vague '70 years in the future' really means anything limiting on what kind of Earth setting they can include. Toss in some environmental disasters/nuclear wars and we can have basically any futuristic cityscape.

The most advanced tech in Blade Runner are the flying cars, the replicants, and the presumable interstellar travel. All the cityscape stuff is pretty much stuff that exists now, with overcrowding, pollution, surveillance, and incessant advertising.

Weyland-Yutani will finally solve the homeless problem by dumping their tamed xenomorph bioweapons onto those dirty Blade Runner streets.

A Disney/Hulu exclusive arriving in 2025!

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

If the new alien movie takes place between Alien and Aliens then I’m assuming the new crew was unknowingly sent by Weyland corp to complete the Special Order 937 job that Ash failed to complete.

In other words soft reboot

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Everything sounds great except for CGI Ian Holm. Like, can Hollywood please stop this morose trend of CGI’ing dead actors please? Just write around it FFS.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Production values look solid, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTNMt84KT0k

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

ruddiger posted:

There’s a swarm of facehuggers in avp

How can you forget those bullet-time facehuggers? :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

General Battuta posted:

Man I wish we got another David movie

When watching Romulus there’s going to be a lingering thought in my mind about David having his war with the Engineers in the far reaches of space somewhere.