Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Marketing New Brain posted:

Aliens doesn't even work if you haven't seen the first, and it isn't because the incredibly simple plot is hard to understand, it's that we need to be as afraid of the Alien as Ripley, without that the whole first third of the movie falls flat. It relies on us already having that tension built so it can create an exciting 80's action horror movie and not make it three hours long.

I've always found Alien 3 to be a bit disjointed, although I had no idea it had so much studio interference. It is a shame Fincher wasn't allowed to make the movie as he saw fit. The entire catacombs sequence is amazing, and Weaver's performance is so far beyond what we saw in Aliens. I've always felt 3 was a bit too maligned, and Aliens was a bit overrated.

I saw Aliens first and loved it. Being younger, I remember trying to rent Aliens 2 because I knew there was a sequel, not realizing that Aliens WAS the sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I'm someone who has complained about Prometheus. I really enjoyed the first third, and felt let down by the pacing of the second half of the movie. I was basically angry that I didn't think the movie was one of the greatest sci-fi movies I had seen. Given some time, I'm much more forgiving of its faults and would like to see more.

Also, attempting to rewatch the AvP movies definitely helped improve my Prometheus opinion.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 26, 2015

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

Did the company purposefully select crappy marines in Aliens, and Vasquez just happened to be good? I gave Prometheus crap for dumb scientists, but the marines in Aliens are terrible soldiers.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I imagine "colonial marines" are a privatized mercenary force and have the mindset and training of mall security guards. They're people who washed out of the real military or the pay is better. Maybe to act fast and without some other VP catching wind and taking the credit Paul hired who ever he could as soon as he could. He may have planned to kill them all in an "accident" after he got his alien eggs anyways, the dumber the less likely to see through his plan.

That was my read on it. It just caught me by surprise since I haven't watched the movies since I was a teenager. The immaturity of the colonial marines wasn't something I noticed back then.

I'm showing my son the movies for the first time, and it's great seeing someone experience them without any prior info. For example, I think he got to be scared by Alien in a way that I never was because I saw it already knowing Ripley was the major character of the series. I have to admit, I'm internally debating whether to show him 3 and 4.