Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

People cannot articulate what makes Alien 'good'.

It plays on fears of helplessness, claustrophobia, isolation, betrayal, and hopeless death. The alien itself is very much an "other" that we are barely able to understand and that what which we could understand about it, specifically it's grotesque parasitic nature and psycho-sexual overtones in appearance are disturbing. That the audience is left to fill in the blanks made the creature more chilling too. The alien could be made to represent all sorts of fear. The sound and visual style is bleak and dark. The film was also a jarring departure from popular sci-fi of its time.

It's also generally technically well made but I don't think you're saying that people need to justify compositional framing decisions in order to articulate why the film is 'good'.

If people can't articulate what makes Alien 'good', it's probably that all of the sequels and backstory that came after it have diluted what it is/was at its core and made the film central to the language of modern sci-fi/horror so the best qualities of the film have been absorbed into assumptions about the whole genre rather than specific qualities of the original film itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

porfiria posted:

Alien is cool because the alien is cool and Ripley has a flamethrower.

Also don't forget it has Harry Dean Stanton in it, which is a strong measure of what defines a film as 'good'.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

I have to pick that up at some point. I held off because I didn't have a PS4 and it didn't look quite worth it at the full $60 price. Now that I have a PS4 and the game is cheaper I have no excuse.

It's actually better than most of the sequel films. It's dedication to maintaining the aesthetic and sound design of the first film is impressive.

There's also DLC that lets you play as the crew of the Nostromo proper, but you can't get an option to control Harry Dean Stanton, so I have to continue to wait for Paris, Texas: The Videogame.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
The trailer looks like a remix of the original movies (including Prometheus). It was also as if each beat of the trailer was part of a checklist.