Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

centaurtainment posted:

Blomkomp's Alien movie is going to be sooooo lovely. I'm predicting 35% fan service winks to the camera/references to the first two movies, 45% thinly veiled social commentary about governments weaponizing xenomorphs as a metaphor for drone programs or some poo poo, and 20% Sharlto Copley spouting incomprehensible dialogue while walking around in a mech suit like the one from the end of Aliens except it will have guns on it.

People go to see Blomkomp's movies for reasons besides Sharlto Copley chewing up scenery while acting like a crazy person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

UmOk posted:

Did you miss Prometheus?

I don't think Prometheus got anywhere near the sense of foreboding and dark awe that first picture evokes, although I think it was a entertaining enough movie. Great fan art (or concept art) like that always insinuates to me that the Engineers didn't create the xenomorphs, no matter how the story gets wrangled that way in the movies. They found them, maybe used them for war, maybe adopted their form and aesthetic for Engineer society, definitely worshipped and obsessed over them, and either got overrun or became suicidal zealots sending floating tombs full of eggs to random worlds. The Great Filter is super space bugs as much as it is obsession with controlling forms of life that are beyond the reckoning of any sentient species.

I think I prefer that to the angle the movies seem to be going for of "Engineers made humans who made androids who made xenos who systematically wipe out everything", but at the end of the day it's all just a bunch of extrapolation based on HR Giger's spank collection so :shrug:.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

That is a legitimately disturbing poster.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

ZeeBoi posted:

Shaw will be the queen in Covenant, won't she

That would certainly bring her narrative arc regarding being unable to create life full circle, wouldn't it?

Also that promo was extremely hosed up, I shuddered when I put the pieces together.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

ruddiger posted:

Everything I hear about the Alamo makes it sound fu fu as gently caress. The Vic in Chicago was doing Brew & View screenings since '01, and beer was only like 4 or 5 bucks there. I can't imagine the beers at the Alamo being anything less than baseball park prices, and paying 30 dollars for drinking glasses? Madness. I'm curious how the Los Angeles Alamo Drafthouse will do since there's already a bevy of really great arthouse theaters that have long since established themselves here (The Egyptian, The New Beverly, The Nuart, Cinefamily, Cinespia, The Aero, The Montalban, etc).

The best thing about the Alamo is the strict no talking policy, along with the unique events that come along pretty regularly. They used to have pretty great food (at least in ATX) until about 2013 when they switched distributors and streamlined the menu to make the national expansion easier to roll out. Now it's about on par with TGIFridays.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Black Bones posted:

Here it is proper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeMVrnYNwus&t=16s

At last, vengeance for Millburn and Fifield!

I guess we just have to wait and see to find why David goes full genocide on the Engineers?

Also I could've sworn the leaked photos classified elysium as an Engineer outpost, but looks like it really is their homeworld. Wonder if David gets clever and starts recalling other ships to complete his clean sweep.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

clip was good, fassbenders delivery is so clipped and great. honestly shaw reattaching his head continues the "dumbest decision possible" momentum from prometheus, i thought david had gone full on mad scientist already.

I don't think Shaw knows that David is directly responsible for the Prometheus hijinks, or even for the mutation & death of her boyfriend.

Edit:

Despera posted:

He tells her in the walk to the engineer that he did it

Welp, I guess it's been longer than I thought since my last viewing of Prometheus. But that does elevate her decision to amazingly dumb instead of just typical horror movie dumb.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 27, 2017

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

There was a lot of typical horror movie stupidity in that backburster clip, but still jesus christ.

Don't be dumb like me and hunt it down right after you ate dinner. If you're squeamish I would probably just wait to watch it in an environment that isn't a movie theater.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Laserface posted:

I am at the crew premiere in Sydney about to watch the film. Happy to answer questions after I've watched it

Can you summarize the third act and the ending? A handful of reviews I've read have hinted at it being a letdown, so I'm curious.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Timby posted:

The io9 review spent like 900 words complaining about that and little else. Seems like the negative reviews are boiling down to, "It wasn't exactly what I was expecting in my head, therefore it sucks" -- similar to people still complaining about Newt and Hicks in Alien3, or people whining about how Prometheus wasn't the Alien 0.5 they imagined. So much missing the forest for the trees.

Just another reminder of why I shouldn't read io9.

I don't think the io9 review was as upset with how the Aliens are made as much as it was concerned with how the ending of Covenant does (or doesn't) create a plausible through line for linking the prequels to Alien (1979). There's definitely a bit of frustration over the flawed execution of Covenant and how it does or doesn't address fan expectations, but otherwise it seemed like an evenhanded review to me.

MrMojok posted:

Set 18 years before Alien. How long is supposed to have passed between Prometheus and Covenant?

10 years.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Laserface posted:

Morning after memory but here goes

SPOILERS FOR THE END OF THE FILM DONT HOVER OVER THIS

LOL that is so ridiculous that it's almost genius. I might have to go see this in the theater now. Thanks for the synopsis.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 7, 2017

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Yeah let's have it, do a full synopsis if you've got the time.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't really mind all the apologizing of everything in Prometheus except one thing. Maybe someone can fill me in on zany nerd theories that I missed. Why did the engineers give a star map to multiple human cultures for their black goo factory?

Maybe it's like an alarm clock for the engineers? Any species that manages to reach a level of technology where they can decipher the star map AND undertake space travel to reach the weapons outpost is about as advanced as the engineers want to allow, so when they show up then the engineers know it's time to clean house and seed some new experiments.

Or maybe they're just big doofus assholes, who knows.

Edit: IIRC there's also some fan theory that there was a civil war among the Engineers between a faction that was benevolent planet seeders and a faction that was aggressive planet destroyers, with the various goos (black, green, etc) as the weapons of choice? So maybe the former seeded earth but the Prometheus crew found a weapons facility belonging to the latter.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 9, 2017

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I wonder if he was "raised" by better people if he'd have turned out better, or if his ethical shortcomings are a problem with his design.

alf_pogs posted:

it's almost like david's unknowable mind is the real alien

Neo Rasa posted:

A ton of new life is created because he steals the secret of the black goo from the gods, sort of like a modern, Prometheus.

Close the thread, this is about as good as it's gonna get.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

RangerScum posted:

6. All that poo poo I said about their actions being smarter, and protocol seeming more well defined. That is all well and good, but they still went down onto an alien planet without wearing any sort of suits to protect them from biohazards. They knew that a human distress signal was coming from the planet and they believed it to be a habitable planet, but they completed discounted the possibility that there could be airborn pathogens that would kill all of them. That's uh. Well, it's just dumb. Like a mission of this size isn't going to have a problem finding the finding for 20 futuristic biosuits? Had they worn the biosuits, there never would have been a neomorph infection (resulting in 5 deaths), and their lander ship wouldn't have been destroyed. David would have still found them and some sort of fuckery could have still gotten us to the same conclusion.[/spoiler]

I would think that this is done because they want to separate the movie from Prometheus (most of the cast spends a lot of time in biosuits) and also because the Covenant crew think the Engineer planet is within habitable optimum and therefore probably safe, but also are still reeling from the whole "narrowly avoided a grisly death in cryosleep" thing.

Thanks for the write-ups from folks who have seen the film. Definitely leaning towards seeing Covenant in theaters.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

If the next Alien isn't set in a creepy hive-ified Covenant centred around Daniels and Tennessee waking up or having some salvage team discover it they'll be missing a major trick but that'd draw heavily from Cameron's vision

Probably a safe bet to assume that none of those people on the Covenant are waking up again, ever. If they're lucky they'll die in their sleep. I am loathe to think of what sort of twisted poo poo David can get up to with 1000 human embryos, a bunch of Black goo, and nothing but time on his hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I'll be honest though, I wish these things were in the film. That "She Won't Go Quietly" is more interesting than the ending in the film. Especially that last shot. I wanted more of that instead of just that kind of that tensionless ending we got.

Aside from the Queen xenos, have they ever used gendered pronouns to describe the Aliens before?

That promo, and the TV spot where the xeno aboard the Covenant headbutts the view screen showing David/Walter's face made me think they were going in the direction of Shaw being literally turned into an Alien somehow rather than just being tortured and experimented to provide genetic material.