Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

One day they'll make an open world game with good guns.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain releases in 64 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

In Training posted:

Are the guns good though? GZ was pretty meh.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Idk, I only ever used the tranq gun and the sniper rifle for the Glaz/Palitz mission.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

In Training posted:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Excuse me?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

He is bad at Metal Gear and uses guns instead of stealth.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

FactsAreUseless posted:

He is bad at Metal Gear and uses guns instead of stealth.
I don't, which is why I don't think the guns in it will be very good, which was the initial comment made by zfp.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Well heck, I guess this guy's good at Metal Gear after all!

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm neither good nor bad actually, although I did 100% gz but that's more because I played it non-stop for like 3 straight weeks.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

In Training posted:

:pray:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Instant crash deaths made someone somewhere who likes immersion happy.

gently caress that person.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

I didn't like IV, OP.

It was definitely not good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I dont really like GTA, or any GTA a-likes. I've had some fun with Saints Row 3 and I liked the story missions in Sleeping Dogs, but generally I find games of the "open world" genre insanely boring. Inevitably they have a large variety of mechanics poached from other games but half-assed. I'd rather play a short game with a more focused design.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I agree with In Training's sincere post about game design. But also, San Andreas was good.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I like to drive around and run over civvies and blast pigs with a sawn off in Grand Theft Auto 5 from time to time. call it a guilty pleasure

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

I dont really like GTA, or any GTA a-likes. I've had some fun with Saints Row 3 and I liked the story missions in Sleeping Dogs, but generally I find games of the "open world" genre insanely boring. Inevitably they have a large variety of mechanics poached from other games but half-assed. I'd rather play a short game with a more focused design.

I sincerely believe that one day an open world game will come out that actually has interesting mechanics instead of a bunch of missions that are exactly the same.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Larry Parrish posted:

I sincerely believe that one day an open world game will come out that actually has interesting mechanics instead of a bunch of missions that are exactly the same.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rediscover posted:

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

I have a feeling its going to be one of those open world games where it's not really open world because there's nothing to do really besides walk to the next mission

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

I have a feeling its going to be one of those open world games where it's not really open world because there's nothing to do really besides walk to the next mission

You pick missions at the base and then go to a country to carry it out I think, so it's not like, GTA open world but it's huge open areas that let you do whatever you want to get the mission done. I haven't seen a lot of gameplay so idk though.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

The movement and controls in the GTA games suck. Having to mash X to run, the way turning your character around isn't instant and very clumsy, the way the cars handle, the way the guns feel, none of it is fun

Most of this stuff is designed in this way as part of the Rockstar's want to make the games as realistic as possible, like how it's tiring to run, and people can't really just turn around on a dime in real life, but these things end up sabotaging the gameplay.

For instance, Mario 64 is a game that has great movement controls. Mario doesn't run and jump like a real person does, but his movement ends up capturing the feelings of running and jumping better than the movement of GTA IV and V. The very acts of running around and jumping on it's own is fun in Mario 64, and movement being enjoyable is far more important than most people will give credit for.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I thought I had a bigger point I was building towards but I guess I don't. I don't really like GTA games despite them featuring amazingly decorated worlds that have nice details in them, the actual act of playing them is not enjoyable

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

You pick missions at the base and then go to a country to carry it out I think, so it's not like, GTA open world but it's huge open areas that let you do whatever you want to get the mission done. I haven't seen a lot of gameplay so idk though.

So it's an open world game that features multiple different countries by a dev that's never really made an open world game... but they say it's going to be hugely detailed and have a ton of freedom?

Is the lead developer named Peter?

Seshoho Cian posted:

The movement and controls in the GTA games suck. Having to mash X to run, the way turning your character around isn't instant and very clumsy, the way the cars handle, the way the guns feel, none of it is fun

Most of this stuff is designed in this way as part of the Rockstar's want to make the games as realistic as possible, like how it's tiring to run, and people can't really just turn around on a dime in real life, but these things end up sabotaging the gameplay.

For instance, Mario 64 is a game that has great movement controls. Mario doesn't run and jump like a real person does, but his movement ends up capturing the feelings of running and jumping better than the movement of GTA IV and V. The very acts of running around and jumping on it's own is fun in Mario 64, and movement being enjoyable is far more important than most people will give credit for.

I think that's a lot of the charm for me. You're doing utterly rediculous things with characters that aren't special. Imagine a GTA game where you don't occasionally die because you couldn't waddle away from an approaching semi truck. If the PC was an olympic athlete a lot of the humor of the game engine would be lost.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Training posted:

Idk, I only ever used the tranq gun and the sniper rifle for the Glaz/Palitz mission.

My first playthrough of Metal Gear Solid 2 was almost entirely the tranq gun only. I thought I was being unique, but I guess this is the proper way to play that game it turned out. It had unlimited ammo and killing the guards did nothing anyways, they just respawned.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

So it's an open world game that features multiple different countries by a dev that's never really made an open world game... but they say it's going to be hugely detailed and have a ton of freedom?

I know that's a good reason to be skeptical, but other then the large open world, Phantom Pain still retains everything else Metal Gear Solid. Konami isn't making anything that would be overwhelming for them.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's basically Peace Walker scaled up in scope to a AAA console/PC release

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

No, the lead developer is named Kojima. Are you dumb?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

net cafe scandal posted:

His name is Effort Posting but spelled funny so yes. Yes he is.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
I bought GTAV again for Xbone, but just don't want to play through all the missions again. So I haven't touched it really.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

net cafe scandal posted:

No, just horribly emotionally scarred from Black and White 2 and Fable. And like 40 other games. And then another 40. Et cetera.

Fable was actually a good game when I gave it another shot but dear god the first impression when I bought it...

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 1, 2015

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

You should trust Kojima, my friend. He and Peter Molyneaux sit at polar opposites of the fail/win spectrum.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Eifert Posting posted:

No, just horribly emotionally scarred from Black and White 2 and Fable. And like 40 other games. And then another 40. Et cetera.

Fable was actually a good game when I gave it another shot but dear god the first impression when I bought it...

im glad of your emotional scarring

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

You should trust Kojima, my friend. He and Peter Molyneaux sit at polar opposites of the fail/win spectrum.

but peter molyneaux is extrememly win.......

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

No. Just no. -___-

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

trying to jack off posted:

but peter molyneaux is extrememly win.......
:what:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

populus = great
dungeon keeper = win
black and white series = extremely win
fable series = you know thats a win

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

populus = great
dungeon keeper = win

Bullfrog was good.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

populus = great
dungeon keeper = win

godus =

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

BgRdMchne posted:

Bullfrog was good.

Theme Hospital :worship:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The original Black and White was fantastic. 2 was seriously one of the all time worst games of all time. No GTA game has ever been that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

rocket_man38 posted:

I bought GTAV again for Xbone, but just don't want to play through all the missions again. So I haven't touched it really.

I thought your Rockstar Social Club account saved your game progress between systems and poo poo

• Locked thread