Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiraeh
Dec 7, 2014
I have a close friend/roomate who has been making and selling chainmaille jewelry as her sole income for a few years now after transitioning into it in a way similar to what you're looking to do and I can ask her for details when she gets home, but in general I would recommend to dive in headfirst. The paperwork is minimal- record keeping for tax purposes is the most important thing.
The only reason to go ahead and register as a business right now is if it will allow you to get a better wholesale rate or a tax break on supply purchases, otherwise I would recommend to start with establishing a small online shop first.
There are a lot of wrinkles that you will want to iron out with that before it will really turn on- what online marketplaces you want to use, how you do your packaging and photography, graphic design, if you plan on doing local shows and what sort of display you plan on setting up- and you should do some even if you want to start mostly online. These are all much harder than the paperwork and you should start doing them and figuring out what will work asap. You might end up changing your focus in the beginning if customers respond to different parts of your product line than you expect, and that might affect your business plan and even name- my mother started a small natural cosmetics business some years ago and her entire line changed completely over the course of her first year as customer feedback affected her development.

Just do baby steps. Make an account on etsy or zibit or artfire. (etsy is bigger but the other two are hungry right now and really working on improving their presence.) take pictures of a few things. Post them. Do that a few more times. Feel discouraged after a week because you have no sales. Redo half your pictures. Get a sale. Get another. Fix something in your descriptions that's confusing people. Become frustrated because no one is buying the designs you love most. Redo those pictures again. Raise your shipping price because Canada Post is the worst.

Once you have at least 500 in sales, look up the paperwork for your province and at what point you have to file tax on the income. Write off expenses until you don't have to pay any though, be shameless about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread