Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Wrecking Ball posted:

Hello goon tycoons.

I have been putting off starting up my own small business almost 5 years longer than I have needed to, because I have no idea where to start and it feels overwhelming.

Currently I am working full time for someone else's company, and I would like to be able to transition to working for myself 2-3 days out of 5.

I am a jeweler by trade, and I would like to be making and selling my own stuff, along with working for the other company (until I hopefully gain enough work to solely be doing my own design.)

I live in BC Canada, and would probably start by marketing myself online, if that makes any sort of difference for advice.

Basically I need to know how/where to apply for business license/name/ trademark stuff.
Or if there is already a megathread for this someone could direct me to, that would also be nice.

I am not sure if Canada is any different, but in the States there is little reason to go through the song and dance of registration and separate accounts until you are pushing good numbers or considering hiring employees. Business debts and assets are personal debts and assets unless you incorporate, but even then, the corporate veil is pretty drat thin for a single operating owner. In the US, tradenames can usually be obtained from the individual states of operation for pretty small amounts. My tradename in AZ cost a whopping $15. If you don't mind people writing checks to your name, that's not even needed.

In short, the legal trappings of a business are the least of your concerns this early. A good business plan and thoughtful operations planning is going to be complex enough.

I am no expert and IANAL, but that's my understanding of the situation locally.

Sell something to someone, bam, that was a business transaction as far as law and the IRS are concerned. It doesn't have to be any more complicated until it actually needs to be, if that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

neogeo0823 posted:

Is there a general thread for small business/first-time business owners? I have recently found myself unemployed, but I was offered a chance to start in New York's SEAP program. I've been dreaming of starting my own business for the last decade or so now, but now that I've got the opportunity, I'm apprehensive and have tons of questions. I don't want to hijack this thread with those questions, but I can't seem to find anything else related to this topic to ask in.

Hijack away or feel free start a new thread, the original topic has run it's course. BFC could always use fresh threads.

• Locked thread