Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

SubponticatePoster posted:

Other fun rabies facts: it's only transmitted by/to mammals. Birds and reptiles carry no risk. The further away from the brain you're bitten, the longer it takes to manifest symptoms. An animal can be carrying rabies but not be contagious yet if it hasn't gotten to the brain. The virus is transmitted through saliva. Blood is not a risk. Bats are most commonly associated with rabies, but skunks and raccoons are usually worse carriers and way more likely to bite you than a bat, which aren't really aggressive. Most human to bat exposures involve children or babies, either by them finding a sick bat and playing with it or a rabid bat ending up in a crib. The only recorded human-to-human rabies transmissions have occurred from organ transplants :gonk:

I watched (listened to?) some crazy npr/pbs thing about rabies and how it's actually possible to survive through the actual rabies hitting the brain part (the first case of a survival happening somewhat recently)

It's an absolutely crazy disease and I wish I had held onto more of the stuff I learned about it in that documentary...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
So many parts of rabies are super interesting: the mood shift into a violent state of wanting to spread the virus to just shutting down after that period to the extreme fear of water to the idea of it taking over areas of the brain...

Totally crazy stuff. I wish we knew more about it

• Locked thread