Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
i knew a guy once who pronounced it "an-ime," two syllables, long i silent e.

i always knew how to pronounce moe since i'm not braindead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Pringleton posted:

Yo, that was me. I saw an article or something about anime and I told a couple dudes at school about it cause it sounded really cool. Turns out they were already anime nerds, and made fun of me for not knowing about anime or how to pronounce it.

But then some time later, one of them pronounced 'manga' with a hard A, and I corrected him, cause now I'm the nerd.

there's no such thing as a "hard" a, but i know what you mean, except it seems real weird to me to say "mon-ga" and then also say "an-nim-ay" like if you're going for accurate pronunciation it should "mon-ga" and "ah-nee-meh" and nobody ever says that.

i say it mayn-guh and i'm never going to stop

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
i don't know how to type out IPA characters because i dropped out of my university's linguistics program early on, or i would've used those

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
i've always wondered that and it seems like a thing i could've looked up by now, but i haven't and i'm not going to. my guess was always rurouni kenshin.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
is there anywhere i can legally watch densha otoko?

i just listened to a podcast where people argued about mulder's pronunciation of "ronin" in an x-files episode. some guy says ronin and mulder corrects him by pronouncing it with a long i and the podcast guys were like i bet that's not even right.

• Locked thread