Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
3 days later that setting was off again and my Apple Music playlists were empty. The gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I know that the suggestions in 'For You' are generated based on what you listen to, but I thought it also looked at what's in your library. But after uploading my library into iCloud last week (I'm still fixing the artwork fuckery), I haven't seen any difference in what it gives me. I seem to have been completely wrong about Apple Music's capabilities. :(

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Creature posted:

I know that the suggestions in 'For You' are generated based on what you listen to, but I thought it also looked at what's in your library. But after uploading my library into iCloud last week (I'm still fixing the artwork fuckery), I haven't seen any difference in what it gives me. I seem to have been completely wrong about Apple Music's capabilities. :(

Like half of the albums it recommends to me are already in my library so I'm pretty sure it has no idea what's in there.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think it goes by which music you've 'loved' with the heart button. I sorted my library by star rating, then did a mass-love for anything 4/5 stars. Seems to have worked just fine. Most of the For You stuff is pretty good.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Weedle posted:

Like half of the albums it recommends to me are already in my library so I'm pretty sure it has no idea what's in there.
It seems reasonable to me that an algorithm would suggest you may enjoy listening to songs you already bought/burned/acquired?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The iOS 10 version seems to be a bit better at recommending new things. Rather than just being a list of playlists and albums, it's separated into sections, and there's one that's just new albums you might be interested in.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It seems reasonable to me that an algorithm would suggest you may enjoy listening to songs you already bought/burned/acquired?

I'd prefer if it suggested what you might not have heard based on all the data it's given, rather than what you already have. V:)V

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I personally like having the suggestion of "hey you like this album - want to hear it again?" because sometimes I do!

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
It remains tremendously obnoxious that I can't say, "No, you matched the wrong song. It doesn't even have the same length! Upload the original!"

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've got a lot of live albums and it constantly matches the studio versions. Drives me loving insane.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It seems like it just checking the rest of the metadata, like album name, would fix this poo poo too. Also there should just be a "always prefer explicit versions" check box.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

vote_no posted:

It remains tremendously obnoxious that I can't say, "No, you matched the wrong song. It doesn't even have the same length! Upload the original!"

I fix this by loving around with the "sort as" stuff in the metadata. So for the album Dopesmoker which is one 79 minute song it was matching with a 3 minute extract. I deleted that from my Apple Music library and re-added the original to my library, setting the sort album as Dopesmoker1 or something. That solved it!

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

http://www.loopinsight.com/2016/07/18/apple-begins-rolling-out-itunes-match-with-audio-fingerprint-to-apple-music-subscribers/

quote:

Apple has been quietly rolling out iTunes Match audio fingerprint to all Apple Music subscribers. Previously Apple was using a less accurate metadata version of iTunes Match on Apple Music, which wouldn’t always match the correct version of a particular song. We’ve all seen the stories of a live version of a song being replaced by a studio version, etc.

Using iTunes Match with audio fingerprint, those problems should be a thing of the past.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

^^^ Holy poo poo, loving finally.

:gizz: :gizz: :gizz:

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
yess!

So is there any point in having Match while also subscribing to Music?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

the panacea posted:

yess!

So is there any point in having Match while also subscribing to Music?

There's probably some smaller differences, but the big one is that the tracks you download to devices via Music have DRM but the ones downloaded via Match are DRM free.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's probably some smaller differences, but the big one is that the tracks you download to devices via Music have DRM but the ones downloaded via Match are DRM free.

Actually...

quote:

This is, in fact, the same version of iTunes Match that iTunes users could pay for as a separate subscription since Apple began offering it years ago. I am one of those users. However, all subscribers to Apple Music will get the new version of iTunes Match at no extra cost. This update also means that all Matched songs will download DRM-free.

EDIT: I guess that's what you're trying to say but it's not clear. Anyway. There it is.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I should have read that link. I guess now there is no reason to subscribe to Match if you have Music.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I'm confused.

I have Apple Music. Tool isn't on Apple Music because they are pretentious assholes. However I want some Tool songs on my phone. So I hook my phone up to iTunes and manually transfer over the songs onto my phone. All of the Tool songs I transferred now show up in my music on my phone, however when I try to play one it is greyed out and says "Item not available". So because they are pretentious and won't allow their music on Apple Music, I can't listen to them at all, even if I directly transfer them from my computer?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I'm confused.

I have Apple Music. Tool isn't on Apple Music because they are pretentious assholes. However I want some Tool songs on my phone. So I hook my phone up to iTunes and manually transfer over the songs onto my phone. All of the Tool songs I transferred now show up in my music on my phone, however when I try to play one it is greyed out and says "Item not available". So because they are pretentious and won't allow their music on Apple Music, I can't listen to them at all, even if I directly transfer them from my computer?
I assume, since you are transferring from your computer, that you aren't using iCloud Music Library? That's strange. I only had Apple Music during the original 3-month trial, but transferred songs (via USB/iTunes) were coexisting with "My Music" just fine (albeit with completely mangled cover art :argh:).

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I'm confused.

If you download them onto your phone from iCloud music library, they should play fine. It works for me, anyway.

For some reason, Tool is the only band that won't stream from my iCloud library, but if I download them to the phone, it works.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

All my Tool tracks stream just fine for me. They just have to be in your iCloud Library or whatever.

I have the actual files on my desktop, then let iTunes match them or whatever, then they stream just fine to my devices.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

They're in my iTunes library just fine but I don't think j can add them to my iCloud or whatever. The little cloud icon next to each track is just a greyed out dotted line instead of the solid line it normally is.

Edit: I was able to right click on one of the albums and the option was there for "add to iCloud library" or whatever, and now it can be played on my phone. The other two albums do not have that option when I right click on them.

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 29, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's not Tool, since I'm pretty sure I have their entire catalogue in my library without any issues. It's whatever to do with iTunes. Have you tried removing and re-adding the offending track? Sometimes it's lovely about that.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

It's not Tool, since I'm pretty sure I have their entire catalogue in my library without any issues. It's whatever to do with iTunes. Have you tried removing and re-adding the offending track? Sometimes it's lovely about that.

It's two whole albums. I have removed and readded them. iTunes downloads all of the album info like album art and whatnot.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Edit: I was able to right click on one of the albums and the option was there for "add to iCloud library" or whatever, and now it can be played on my phone. The other two albums do not have that option when I right click on them.
Kind of a long shot guess, but there are format restrictions on uploading.

For the troubled albums what does (computer) iTunes show in the "iCloud Status" column in Song view? Should be one of Purchased, Matched, Uploaded, Waiting, or Ineligible.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Kind of a long shot guess, but there are format restrictions on uploading.

For the troubled albums what does (computer) iTunes show in the "iCloud Status" column in Song view? Should be one of Purchased, Matched, Uploaded, Waiting, or Ineligible.

The two albums that I can't play on my phone both say waiting. The one I can says uploaded. What's it waiting for?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The next scheduled sync, I think. You should be able to fire one manually (the whole library, not just the album), but I forget which menu option that is.

edit: on a Mac, it's File/Library > Update iCloud Music Library

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 29, 2016

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

I found that option but it doesn't do anything.

I miss Android and it's easy drag and drop :(

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
http://pitchfork.com/news/67196-kanye-says-apple-and-tidal-beef-loving-up-the-music-game/

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/759449038097747968

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/698926987281371136?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Yeah, but he's actually a shareholder in Tidal. Even it's just additional instability that makes Apple think twice, these kinds of statements are more likely to have impact.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I'm currently using the trial of Apple Music. If i don't re-up when the trials up, does my library simply revert to the way it was before I used AM?
Furthermore, if I decide down the line to use AM, do the songs and albums I added during my trial come back?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ManSedan posted:

I'm currently using the trial of Apple Music. If i don't re-up when the trials up, does my library simply revert to the way it was before I used AM?
Furthermore, if I decide down the line to use AM, do the songs and albums I added during my trial come back?

Yes and yes. Your iCloud library is saved whether you're subscribed or not, but you can't view or edit it.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

ManSedan posted:

When my trial was up and I didn't renew, I was still able to listen to all of the music that I added while I was subscribed. Seemed like it shouldn't have been that way but I wasn't complaining.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mike d keeps playing major lazors get free on his radio show and i dont think he realizes it :( he's getting old

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Mike Dementia.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just noticed iOS 10 started giving me a new music mix. Been waiting for that!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I just noticed iOS 10 started giving me a new music mix. Been waiting for that!

Woah, this is cool. Updates every Friday too. Neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
This week's episode of Abstract Radio is especially good imo. Unless you don't like James Brown.

• Locked thread