Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
There's a 12 month subscription card for $99 for a sneaky normal discount. I don't know if it's actually a $120 credit behind the scenes or if the store properly handles month credits.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-12-months-apple-music-subscription/5308600.p?id=bb5308600&skuId=5308600

Edit: oh apparently it's really a $120 credit.

MrBond fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MrBond posted:

There's a 12 month subscription card for $99 for a sneaky normal discount. I don't know if it's actually a $120 credit behind the scenes or if the store properly handles month credits.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-12-months-apple-music-subscription/5308600.p?id=bb5308600&skuId=5308600

Edit: oh apparently it's really a $120 credit.

So this is really a $120 iTunes gift card that sells for $99?

That's actually a pretty good discount.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Jose Oquendo posted:

So this is really a $120 iTunes gift card that sells for $99?

That's actually a pretty good discount.

Be careful--there was a similar sale earlier, and it's exclusively for Apple Music. It's not a general store credit.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The Modern Leper posted:

Be careful--there was a similar sale earlier, and it's exclusively for Apple Music. It's not a general store credit.

"iTunes® Terms and Conditions
Valid only on purchases made in the U.S. from the U.S. iTunes Store or towards an Apple Music subscription. Use requires an active iTunes account & prior acceptance of license & usage terms."

So it looks like I can use you can use it for purchases from iTunes (music, tv, movies) but not the App store or any sort of iCloud services.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Oh sweet. The other website had a narrower disclaimer. I usually pick up 20% off cards from EBay, but 99 for 120 is pretty good.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Yeah abstract radio has some really good episodes. Generally the radio stations, the ability to listen back and add the playlist is one of the main factors for me to stay subscribed.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

the panacea posted:

Yeah abstract radio has some really good episodes. Generally the radio stations, the ability to listen back and add the playlist is one of the main factors for me to stay subscribed.
Woah hang on, they now have an easy way to make a playlist out of the songs played on a radio show? Or do you mean adding the show to your library as one "song"?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Woah hang on, they now have an easy way to make a playlist out of the songs played on a radio show? Or do you mean adding the show to your library as one "song"?

When you go to the page for the show you can choose individual episodes, like the whole episode or you can just listen to the playlist of songs for that episode.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
What the gently caress happened to all the activity playlists???? :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

frumpsnake posted:

What the gently caress happened to all the activity playlists???? :(

Browse -> Curated Playlists -> Activities & Moods?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Yes. Just a few days ago there used to be 20 activity categories. Now there are 9, and while some categories have merged it looks like other playlists are now just orphaned without a category?

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 11, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The update in iOS 10 brought with it an 80s radio station. Guess I should go ahead and use that three month trial finally.

This looks like the service they should have launched with.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I miss the album art based color schemes....

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

The update in iOS 10 brought with it an 80s radio station. Guess I should go ahead and use that three month trial finally.

This looks like the service they should have launched with.

Where are you seeing this and what's it called?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I was looking for this frantically too, to no avail :[

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not sure if it's the one he's talking about, but

Radio -> View All Stations -> (scroll down) -> Hits by Decade -> The '80s

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Direct link:
Play The ‘80s on @AppleMusic.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/station/the-80s/idra.1055200360

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I got it into my head last night I wanted to make a Jet Set (Grind) Radio playlist only to find that the Soundtrack (as far as I can tell) is not on Apple Music and neither are a ton of the songs.

Sadness.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Jose Oquendo posted:

"iTunes® Terms and Conditions
Valid only on purchases made in the U.S. from the U.S. iTunes Store or towards an Apple Music subscription. Use requires an active iTunes account & prior acceptance of license & usage terms."

So it looks like I can use you can use it for purchases from iTunes (music, tv, movies) but not the App store or any sort of iCloud services.

Just FYI, you don't get a discount if you convert it to store credit. It's just $99 gift card. Trying to see if I can get a refund.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Looking to get some help on setting up Apple Music family account properly. I have three different users (myself, my wife, and my son). My wife and I have separate Apple Music accounts, but whenever I go into Music on my sons iPod it shows all of my albums in the cloud and if he downloads anything it shows up in mine. How can I get these separated? What do I need to look for? When I go into Music settings it shows his email address as what he's logged into. Seems like I have it set up right but I'm :confused:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Check iCloud settings on your sons device. It should account. And on your account check family settings to make sure his account is listed as part of the family.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I decided to try this out and I'm really confused. Does the for you section actually work? I've gone through it like 4 times adding bands and genres but the only thing that shows up is some weird twitter feed from a single band.

What am I doing wrong here?

Also the curated playlists aren't that great at least for the indie section.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

So I decided to try this out and I'm really confused. Does the for you section actually work? I've gone through it like 4 times adding bands and genres but the only thing that shows up is some weird twitter feed from a single band.

What am I doing wrong here?

Also the curated playlists aren't that great at least for the indie section.

For You will fill out and get better as you hit "love" on songs. What you're seeing is posts from Connect, which no one actually uses anymore.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

For You will fill out and get better as you hit "love" on songs. What you're seeing is posts from Connect, which no one actually uses anymore.

Well what was the point of having me pick a genre or artists if I need to hit love from another section? I would have thought it was kinda like a pandora like area. Unless I'm missing something here.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

MarcusSA posted:

Well what was the point of having me pick a genre or artists if I need to hit love from another section? I would have thought it was kinda like a pandora like area. Unless I'm missing something here.

What version are you using? Connect doesn't even show up anymore unless you're on a specific artist that used it.

It may take a day for "For You" to become useful, but you should at least have two playlists at the top (My Favorites and My New Music). Most of the recommendations are "[Day]'s albums," or "[Day]'s playlists" so wait for Wednesday's stuff to populate. Love a bunch of actual songs for now, and it'll get better faster.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok well this is what I see even after selecting artists.

So I guess I'll just go through some curated playlists and like some stuff.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 21, 2016

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I didn't realize the Love button was anything but an alternative rating system like on Google Play; I figured they could figure it out from the thousands of star ratings I've set over the years, but I suppose this might explain why my For You kind of sucks.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

vote_no posted:

I didn't realize the Love button was anything but an alternative rating system like on Google Play; I figured they could figure it out from the thousands of star ratings I've set over the years, but I suppose this might explain why my For You kind of sucks.

To kickstart the system when I first switched over I made a smart playlist of all songs rated 5 stars, selected everything, and marked them all "Loved".

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

MarcusSA posted:

It looks like you might have jumped out of the selection process too early. It's been a while, but I think they ask you to do some genres, then some artists, etc., but will actually say when they have enough information.

Again, it'll figure it out once you start hearting some songs, but this'll help it go faster.

Re hearts v stars - Apple Music recognizes what's in your (Cloud) library, but it does kinda waste the extensive information it already has. If you batch heart your 4 and 5 star songs, that should be a good start.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

It looks like you might have jumped out of the selection process too early. It's been a while, but I think they ask you to do some genres, then some artists, etc., but will actually say when they have enough information.

Oh well poo poo... I'll try it again then I just couldn't think of any more artists off hand so I figured like 10 was enough. I'll give it one more shot. Thanks for the help.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Not a problem. Apple Music is an extraordinary example of Apple's "you're holding it wrong" arrogance. Every step of it feels odd and counterintuitive, but I'll be damned if I don't use it twice as much as I did Spotify.

There's nothing as good as Discovery Weekly in terms of algorithms. On the other hand, I find their curated playlists to be almost universally better the ones that Spotify offers. They also do a decent job of populating playlists with good songs from good albums so they're helpful for discovery. One possible bummer - their daily album recommendations are more often "albums you might be in the mood to hear" than "new albums for you to discover." They're usually good picks, but don't expect huge leaps from artists you're familiar with.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

Not a problem. Apple Music is an extraordinary example of Apple's "you're holding it wrong" arrogance. Every step of it feels odd and counterintuitive, but I'll be damned if I don't use it twice as much as I did Spotify.

Yeah I haven't had a chance to finish it yet but if I was stopping before it could finish you'd think that it would ya know actually say something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well poo poo thanks for the help I finally got the for me working right and I think this is gonna be right up my alley.

Oh yeah is there a way to love something from the lock screen?

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 21, 2016

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
If youre listening to a "radio station", the back button on the lock screen and control panel will be replaced by a button that will let you love or unlove a song thats playing.

Oddly this spot is taken up by a similar function on NPR One. It'd be nice if they added a control or context menu to the actual screen.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

MarcusSA posted:

Hah! Panic at the Disco might be the only artist actually updating their Connect account.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

Hah! Panic at the Disco might be the only artist actually updating their Connect account.

Lol and they update it a loving lot at that. I'm glad I got the for you sorted out. It's working very well now.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

CaptainCrunch posted:

Pearl Jam

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I get lots of stuff in connect. Following the Apple genre things helps a lot, but I have a lot of artists that update a bunch

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Some people might have seen this in the iTunes thread as I couldn't spot this one, but two things that irritated me this week:

1. Music app indicated I had a trial available, and asked me to choose a plan to go to after it ended in 90 days. Well for some reason they decided that I didn't have a trial and charged me instantly. Luckily they refunded but still, kinda crappy. I'd had a trial before, but don't tell me I have one then charge me without no indication until the bill came in via email.

2. Are they now locking your phone down just for Music? I now apparently can't log in with another iTunes account on here for a number of months because of Music it seems. I'm guessing this is a case of protecting the ownership rights in regions, but I'm guessing I now can't log into the UK store when I'm in the UK and the US store when I'm in the US. That's so dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ugh, I still have endless live tracks play as the studio version instead. And now, I'm having some live versions played instead of the studio version. I'm also still getting censored tracks on occasion, even though I add/matched the uncensored versions. I thought they were supposed to fix this poo poo?

• Locked thread