Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

:siren: As of 5/16/20 the thread has a discord server! Come talk Terraria with other nerds! :siren:

Have you accidentally hidden the minimap?

Press the tab button to get it back!

If you are new to the game, do not make an expert mode world!

Expert mode assumes you know how to play the game already, and adjusts the difficulty accordingly. Early game monsters will kill you in one hit. It is not fun and you will hate this game if you try it.

So what is Terraria?

Terraria is a 2D building-adventure game by Andrew “Redigit” Spinks where you fight monsters, craft armor, tools weaponry, and other goodies, and build yourself a giant, phallic home to call your own amidst NPCs who are there to help the player. It was released on May 16th, 2011 and is currently :10bux: on Steam. Go get it, it’s loving awesome.

For a long time, it was thought that development on Terraria had completely ceased. After the 1.1 patch, Redigit even said he was stopping development on the game. Then there was a "minor" to-do in the community, when he sold the rights for console Terraria to another company entirely. However, all of that seems to have been forgiven once the 1.2 patch was announced.

That was two years ago. Since then, a spinoff has been announced (Terraria Otherworld, a game where you have to purify a corrupted world. It uses Terraria's engine, but not very much else seems to be known about it yet.) There's also a new patch, patch 1.3. Like the two previous major updates, it adds a metric fuckton of new content to experience!

As of today, Terraria is availble to play pretty much anywhere you like. Want to nerd out in front of the PC? You can do that. Want to play in front of your TV? PS3, PS4, Vita, 360, and Xbox One are your available flavors! Want to play on the go? iOS and Android versions are available! There's even been rumors about Wii U and 3DS versions in development!

So what sets this game apart?

Terraria is a game that is very focused on exploration. Your character starts with just five hearts and very little mana to work with, but with careful exploration and lots of perseverance, you can soon be rolling around with much more than that. Basically, Terraria could be best explained as the lovechild of Minecraft and the newer Castlevania games, but with less bugs and terrible voice acting and more meat and potatoes such as the ability to decorate your home with various niceties like armor racks and thrones, as well as having quite a few possible playstyles to work with. Want to be a heavily armored caster who can jump several stories? You can do that. Want to just sit back and build? Well, if you can deal with the zombies and the occasional blood moon, then that’s cool too.

But does it have multiplayer!?

Sure does! New in the 1.3 patch is steamworks integration! So your friends can join your world with just a few clicks of the mouse. Long gone are the days of port forwarding and keeping whatismyip.com bookmarked.

In case you want to set up a dedicated server, there are also two popular options: TShock, and TServer (which can be found in your Terraria installation directory.) This page on the wiki should also be of help to you.

So it has some new stuff? Great. What was the newest stuff added in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXam7gSObek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nXdtDgpPeE

The 1.3 update added even more cool stuff:

• Expert Difficulty
  • More than 800 new items to find and collect
  • Achievements
  • New backgrounds
  • New events
  • A dedicated equipment slot for grapple hooks, pets, mounts, and light sources
  • Improved NPC AI
  • Craft from nearby chests
  • Flying pirate ship invasion
  • Laser mining

And much, much more!

During worldgen, there is a chance that certain ores will be replaced with new versions! Thankfully the new ores use the same recipes that the older variants use.

• Copper <--> Tin
  • Iron <--> Lead
  • Silver <--> Tungsten
  • Gold <--> Platinum
  • Cobalt <--> Palladium
  • Mythril <--> Orichalcum
  • Adamantite <--> Titanium

When in hard mode, there is a 1-in-2500 chance, while killing enemies in some biomes, that you will get a special key to drop. This key unlocks a chest in the dungeon with some super powerful equipment inside! Currently, there are five keys: one from the Hallow, one from the Corruption, one from the Crimson, one from the Jungle, and one from the Ice Biome. The equipment inside these chests are incredibly powerful and are only outclassed by the absolute best items in hard mode.

During worldgen, there is also a chance that the game will possibly generate a pyramid and a gigantic tree. These unique structures have special treasures inside if you're lucky enough to have them, and are brave enough to enter.

During worldgen, the game will randomly assign your world one of two special biomes, corruption or crimson. Corruption is a nasty biome, where the terrain looks blighted. The Crimson, on the other hand, is your world being infested by blood. No, seriously. The terrain in a crimson infestation is tainted red, and the enemies all have a blood-and-gore theme. Both biomes will slowly spread during the course of the game.

Whoa, that’s a lot of stuff. How am I even going to get started?

The game has a pretty in-depth wiki available to use. Be sure to take a look if you get stuck. Also do not be afraid to ask here in the thread.

For the most part, Terraria is a pretty freeform game. For your first day, you should concentrate on cutting trees down and building a shelter for the nighttime. Be sure to talk to the guide! He can help you with crafting, by showing you what the recipes are for any item you show to him.

Also be sure to use the left shift key liberally! The shift key is context sensitive, so if you hold the shift key while mousing over the ground, your pickaxe will be automatically selected, over trees and you'll use your axe, and so on. If you hold the shift button while over thin air, you'll hold a torch out to light your way!

Once you build a grappling hook, you don't need to keep it on your hotbar. Just use the "E" key while pointing at a surface to use it!

Awesome Houses:

These are some pretty awesome structures that people in the thread have posted.

by Internet Kraken

by XxIcarusxX on the Terraria Forums.
by SirSamVimes
by LightningSquid
by oddium

I Said No posted:

My attempts to Win At Building continue apace. While i'm at it I grabbed some screens of other poo poo I built too:

by Saturnine Aberrance
by King Doom
by Tanith
by Freakazoid_
by The Moon Monster
by YF-23
by Katsuma
by Internet Kraken

Miijhal posted:

Reminiscing about my old buildings in terraria from what back when.

My old Murder Manor, complete with a dungeon filled with traps.

Even older, back before hard mode, I made a bunch of giant statues with temples built around them...

Unfortunately the back walls are a little screwed up now, so I can't take new/better screenshots of them right now...

by MrGreenShirt
by Koramei and Azurius
by Poison Mushroom
by Bible Challenger
by Ssthalar
by The White Dragon and friends

The White Dragon posted:

So this is our village, but it was like 150,000px wide so I kinda had to shrink it.

In the meantime, here are some miscellaneous tidbits you may find useful:

NPC Spawn Requirements
  • Guide - Provides general tips, lets zombies into your home - Spawns if there is no guide
  • Merchant - Sells you stuff - At least 50 silver in inventory
  • Nurse - Heals you for a nominal fee - More than 5 hearts
  • Dye Trader - Sells the dye vat, trades strange plants for rare dyes - Spawns after you beat your first (non-hardmode) boss
  • Demolitionist - Sells you explosives - A Grenade, Bomb or stick of Dynamite in your inventory. Also need a Merchant
  • Dryad - Sells nature related items - Kill any boss
  • Arms Dealer - Sells guns and ammo - Pretty much any gun or ammo in inventory
  • Stylist - Sells hair dyes, change your hair style - Found randomly in a spider cave
  • Painter - Sells paints and wallpapers - Spawns when you have at least 8 other NPCs
  • Angler - Gives fishing quests - Found either in or near the ocean
  • Goblin Tinkerer - Reforges your gear, sells Tinkerer's Workshop - Defeat the Goblin Army, then find him in a cave. Can also spawn in the Dungeon
  • Witch Doctor - Sells the Imbuing Station, summoner gear - Spawns after you defeat Queen Bee
  • Clothier - Sells vanity clothing - Kill Skeletron
  • Mechanic - Sells wiring items - Kill Skeletron, then find her in the Dungeon
  • Party Girl - Sells colorful stuff - Has a 2% chance to spawn (checked every ingame day at dawn) when you have at least 14 other NPCs
  • Pirate - Sells pirate related items - Spawns after you defeat a pirate invasion
  • Truffle - Sells mushroom themed items - Spawns when you have a house in a surface mushroom biome during Hard Mode
  • Wizard - Sells magical items - Randomly found in the underground hallow
  • Steampunker - Sells the Clentaminator, jetpack, and other such technology - Spawns after you have defeated at least 1 Hard Mode boss
  • Cyborg - Sells a rocket launcher, rocket ammo - Defeat Plantera
  • Santa Claus - Sells a santa outfit, Christmas themed items - Spawns after defeating the Frost Legion, but only between December 15 and December 31
  • Tax Collector - Collects rent from your other NPCs which you can then collect - A tortured soul will randomly spawn in Hell in hard mode. Throw purification powder in his face

To activate Hardmode, acquire a guide voodoo doll from the underworld, then when you're ready, throw it into the lava in the underworld to summon the Wall of Flesh. Be prepared for a somewhat tough fight!

Onean posted:

15 of one type of gem will make a grappling hook of that color! It actually looks really cool.

Tired of constantly left clicking to swing your sword? Try using AutoHotKey! Shukaro has helpfully shared his AHK script below: (This requires a mouse with more than 4 buttons, as the trigger button is on the side of the mouse.)

Shukaro posted:

XButton1::
While GetKeyState("XButton1", "P")
{
Click
Sleep 10
}
return

Want to automate fishing? Well the glow can help you with another AHK script!

the glow posted:

Alright mates, me and a friend have been playing HC Expert and it's so difficult that you end up fishing a lot to gear up safely. Fishing is boring and not challenging so I wrote a short AHK script to automatically fish as rapidly as possible:

The script casts the line, then pixel colour checks the float to see if it's moving, with a bit of tolerance so that you don't get false positives when the float is gradually changing colour due to transitions between day/night. I've tested it in the ocean and various underground biomes and it seems to work ok.

How to use:
  • run the script with AHK
  • position the cursor just above the water's surface in such a way that when you cast the line, the cursor is over the float (this will be directly below your feet so you need a platform over the water)
  • toggle autofishing with the F2 key

here's the code

code:
#MaxThreadsPerHotkey 2
Pause::Pause

F2::
	if (fishing == 1) {
		fishing = 0
		return
	} else fishing = 1

Loop {
		if (fishing == 1) {			
			manualClick()
			Sleep, 1000
			MouseGetPos xpos, ypos
			PixelGetColor, colorA, xpos, ypos-2

Loop {
				PixelGetColor, colorB, xpos, ypos-2
				if (compare(colorA, colorB) > 5) {
					if (fishing == 1) {
						manualClick()
					}
					break
				} else PixelGetColor, colorA, xpos, ypos-2
			}
		} else break
	}
return

manualClick() {
	Click down
	Sleep, 50
	Click up
	Sleep, 50
}

compare(c1, c2) {
    rdiff := Abs((c1 >> 16) & 0xFF - (c2 >> 16) & 0xFF)
    gdiff := Abs((c1 >> 8) & 0xFF - (c2 >> 8) & 0xFF)
    bdiff := Abs(c1 & 0xFF - c2 & 0xFF)

return rdiff + gdiff + bdiff
}

Tired of status debuffs? You can farm up an item that makes you completely immune to them! Though beware, because it takes a really long time to make...

Ever wanted to know abso-loving-lutely everything about the area immediately around your character? You can make a cell phone! It'll show you the time, the weather conditions, nearby ore, how many enemies you've killed, any nearby rare monsters, and even teleport you back to your home base!

Finally, some extra links you may find helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BhRLs1uZQA

Goon Steam Group
Installing Terraria on Linux
Installing Terraria on Mac

A tutorial by Captain_duck (Outdated, but it should still serve for getting the basics down)

Utilities

Updated for V 1.3:

TerraSavr web-based Character and Inventory Editor
TerraMap Map Viewer
Completely mod the game how you like
TerraFirma Map Viewer

Not Updated:

Character viewer and editor by TJChap2840

MoreTerra Map Viewer
TEdit Map Editor
Create customized worlds with this mod!

Terraria v1.2 Thread
Terraria v1.1 Thread (Requires Archives)
Terraria Launch Thread (Requires Archives)

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Just fired up 1.3 fifteen minutes ago and all I can say is :flashfap:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Holy poo poo, Granite Elementals sure as poo poo don't gently caress around. :stare:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I made a world to sate my OCD, dug out trenches around the corruption, etc...

when I got to Hell (gorgeous new background!) my pets instantly killed a Voodoo demon

now I'm in Hard mode and my trenches aren't lined with wood :negative:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god drat the final boss looks cool. This game started as two dudes dicking around in an oversized, empty wooden house, fighting off zombies. It ends as a laser war against UFOs, cultists, and that thing.

My Terraria world is apparently Texas because it won't stop raining! Also the overworld is actually dangerous now! I tried my usual 'walk to the ocean' trip after spawning in and the desert kicked my rear end. Those dragonfly things are no joke! Neither are Granite Elementals, who can apparently phase through solid objects. Get outta here, this isn't hard mode, I don't wanna deal with that yet.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Uggggh, being stuck at work is the worst thing, this update is better than most AAA releases in the past year

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
Yay my thread title :kimchi:

Headed home now, so hype

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Jumping right into 1.3 after having a fully "done" character is so confusing. Almost makes me want to start a new character.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Tried the cultist stuff but didn't realize it was a serious boss and got destroyed. On my way back with my big boy gear, I ran into a UFO. This triggered the martian invasion.

Spoilers for the martian invasion:

There didn't seem much to it. There are martians on ground that shoot lasers. Some have energy shields. They build tesla coils if you let them. There are tripods which shoot lasers but they get stuck in pits easy and weren't a serious threat to me. There are kamikaze space ships. The big threat is the UFO. It has missiles, lasers, and a gently caress off energy beam out the bottom. When it's low on health it speeds toward you and spams it's energy beam.

Loot was:

Bricks for building martian themed poo poo.
Space suit mask.
UFO mount.
A pickaxe type melee weapon that shoots a distance out like a paladin hammer but stays out so you can hold it and run into stuff I guess.
A gun that shoots a shot that splits into three shots.
A magic gun that shoots lasers and shoots them faster the longer you hold down the attack button.
A magic gun that charges up and shoots a giant energy beam.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I can't believe that all these patches have been free updates. In most other games, stuff like these would have been DLC or something. Looking forward to jumping back into this after I get home from work.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I'm stuck at work, but I always play co-op with a buddy so I can't play until the weekend anyway.

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh god drat the final boss looks cool.

:stare: :cthulhu:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Prop Wash posted:

Jumping right into 1.3 after having a fully "done" character is so confusing. Almost makes me want to start a new character.

Be cool like me and delete all your current characters and worlds so you can't cheat.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Senor Candle posted:

Be cool like me and delete all your current characters and worlds so you can't cheat.

Eh, unless they changed world gen getting some items (cough cough the balloon cluster cough) are really annoying to make so that item is fine to cheat over if you ask me.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

President Ark posted:

Eh, unless they changed world gen getting some items (cough cough the balloon cluster cough) are really annoying to make so that item is fine to cheat over if you ask me.

I just like starting fresh every time there is a new update.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
noodled around on a new world, with accelerated pre-hardmode progression by importing a pre-hardmode but developed character. I like a lot of the tweaks I've been able to discover so far.

Weren't kidding when they said NPCs defend themselves, even the Nurse kills stuff that bothers her now.

E: Demizes solo guides and ymir's speedruns for my own reference

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 7, 2016

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Played a bit, going to wait for the wiki to update update on all this stuff so I don't have to run around totally blind. Also want to have access to T-edit or whatever to get me basic building materials and potions, because I really don't like having to deforest whole worlds to get the wood I want for my Livingwood house.

Also, for some reason a couple rooms in my new building weren't working, despite meeting requirements, and the system would not tell me why.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
How do you summon the martian invasion?

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
For the new thread, hosting a goon server, but you're more than welcome to bring friends.

198.27.98.49:7777 100 slots

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh wow, another huge update? I will never be free of this game.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

Played a bit, going to wait for the wiki to update update on all this stuff so I don't have to run around totally blind. Also want to have access to T-edit or whatever to get me basic building materials and potions, because I really don't like having to deforest whole worlds to get the wood I want for my Livingwood house.

Also, for some reason a couple rooms in my new building weren't working, despite meeting requirements, and the system would not tell me why.

Buy the sickle from the merchant, run around and swing it for a while. You'll have stacks of Hay and NPCs don't mind living in hay houses. Truly the greatest building material.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I want to play some relaxed Terraria with goons. Message me on steam if you want some "fun".

stardate: im gay

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Started a new world and characters in Expert with some friends.

Seen some new enemies, some new items so far.

Then it started raining goddamn slimes.

And King Slime awoke. The best armor anyone had yet was lead. It was a massacre.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
me when reading the patch notes: :henget:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
welcome starbound refugees

you are safe now

its okay

its...

its ok

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

DoubleNegative posted:

Do not play singleplayer Terraria on a Large world!

gently caress you, i wont do what you tell me

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

37th Chamber posted:

For the new thread, hosting a goon server, but you're more than welcome to bring friends.

198.27.98.49:7777 100 slots

Gonna jump on this in a bit, is there a mumble server or anything?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

ethanol posted:

Gonna jump on this in a bit, is there a mumble server or anything?

If not I'd suggest CTS.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
CTS is good and owns

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

There is a terraria channel in CTS. Hop in and play this cool game with me.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Babe Magnet posted:

gently caress you, i wont do what you tell me

:ssh: I made a large world for single player.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
From the looks of it, there is a nice premade minecart track going nearly the length of the medium world I made. I think this makes up for the gently caress you starting location right between snow and desert.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DoubleNegative posted:

:ssh: I made a large world for single player.

thats like the one rule in the OP you FUCKER

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Speaking of the desert, I'm guessing that worlds now spawn with the desert and jungle on one side, and the snow biome and dungeon on the other?

That would make sense.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Update on UFO mount:

You can fly and shoot. Goodbye rocket boots, wings, and balloons!

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

kazil posted:

Update on UFO mount:

You can fly and shoot. Goodbye rocket boots, wings, and balloons!

Whhh... What? Mount? Does it impede you in any way whatsoever?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Haven't played this since the 1.2 update first dropped but I might try to find some time to fix that this weekend. I don't even remember what 1.2 changed so it's like double updates for me!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

President Ark posted:

I'm stuck at work, but I always play co-op with a buddy so I can't play until the weekend anyway.

:stare: :cthulhu:

If you terraform down enough, can you see his Moon Dick?

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I won't be booting up for another hour or so to see it myself but is it way easier to join other players now like advertised?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

before I line my trenches with its beautiful color....does Granite get corrupted/hallowed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, I havent touched this game since 1999. Did anyone ever add any custom worldgen options? Say I want to make a world that's all corruption or whatever, can I make that happen?

edit: huh okay, i guess it's right there in the op

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 30, 2015