Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

kazil posted:

Crawltipedes, the worm enemy during the solar part of the end of the world event, are the dumbest thing ever and I hope they get a balance pass.
This. I didn't even realize you could kill them for a while since they have no discernible health bar.

On the flip side, the Stardust Dragon Staff is amazingly overpowered and it can easily carry you through the late endgame once you craft it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Jabarto posted:

You don't need to line your trenches. As long as there are 4 empty tiles between the two sides nothing can spread across it.

Thorns can grow from bare rock and spread corruption. Line your trenches.

Also, my NPCs are making angry emoticons at me. What can I do to make them happy? Do they need better homes? Because I'm really early and can't make better homes yet.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Is there any way to tell where an NPC's home is anyway? The merchant moved in I think but it'd be nice to see if his home actually qualifies as a home or not since he got stuck on a block and is just rotating in place now. At least he's safe.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Akett posted:

Has anyone figured out the strange plants stuff for the dye trader yet?

Very late, but yes. Around your world some weird looking plants will spawn, so far I've found a wilted corruption looking plant that's like 2x3 sq, and when I handed it in I got some insane looking twilight dye.

It looks like it's fisherquest, but with no time limit, location and the only reward is special as gently caress dyes.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Zemyla posted:

Thorns can grow from bare rock and spread corruption. Line your trenches.

Also, my NPCs are making angry emoticons at me. What can I do to make them happy? Do they need better homes? Because I'm really early and can't make better homes yet.

Forgot aobut that, but thorns can only grow out to four tiles away from terrain. At most you'd just have to make a 5 tile trench instead.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
So I haven't played this game since 1.1 and I've gotten bit by the bug again. I played for a couple hours today and I'm just overwhelmed by the amount of new content. i can't figure out what does how to make meaningful progression. There's probably not any kind of getting started guide and general "things you should know that aren't obvious" post about 1.3 yet but man I need one.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Man, if you had an older character that you decided to play in a new 1.3 world it sure does screw up all the achievements list.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

Gorgolflox posted:

So I haven't played this game in a long time, probably close to a year and half. Was there a patch or update since 1.2 that deleted your worlds? All of mine are gone, my characters are still there though. I guess it doesn't really matter since I was going to start from scratch anyways but all of my cool castles are now gone.

So all of my worlds are still in the Worlds folder but don't show up in game? Anyone have any experience with this issue? I've tried renaming the files and taking the .bak off and none of that seems to work.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Crimson is pretty creepy.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I started up a new expert game, wondering what housing gimmick I was going to do this time around... and there's a huge living tree less then one screen away from my starting point.

The RNGods have spoken.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
On the list of features where it says expert mode in bold and then 800 new items, does that mean the 800 new items are only in expert mode?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Pierson posted:

On the list of features where it says expert mode in bold and then 800 new items, does that mean the 800 new items are only in expert mode?

Some of them are expert mode only, but there are still a bunch regardless of difficulty mode.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

i was reloading posted:

I've seen stuff about Terraria all over the place and after reading this thread, I finally decided to buy it. Got it on steam. I have a mac. Goddammit.

The Mac client is supposed to come out soon actually.

quote:

We do want to give our Mac and Linux Terrarians a quick update as well. Based upon current status and planning, the plan is that Mac/Linux will launch shortly after 1.3 - aiming for a launch within the month of July. This is being done to ensure the most stable Mac/Linux builds possible so that everyone has the best experience that we can provide.

At this point the mobile and console versions will probably take just as long to get the new update (if ever. The console version was made by another company, I think,) so you might as well wait.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

Any aussie goons playing multiplayer? I want to play with people.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DoubleNegative posted:

Some of them are expert mode only, but there are still a bunch regardless of difficulty mode.
For example you can apparently craft 4 stacks of musket balls into an infinite bag of musket balls at a crystal ball, as I discovered while refreshing my memory of what you could make out of musket balls.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Does worldgen ever create giant mountains?

I want a world with huge peaks and valleys :colbert:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Zereth posted:

For example you can apparently craft 4 stacks of musket balls into an infinite bag of musket balls at a crystal ball, as I discovered while refreshing my memory of what you could make out of musket balls.

Is that just musket balls or special ammo as well? I assume the former.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So running around smashing pots in the underworld occasionally a golden portal will open, spew gold coins on my character and then disappear.

What is this.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Free money? :v:

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
Has anyone worked out if the "steam integration" for dedicated servers actually does anything? I've turned it on but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

IntelligibleChoir posted:

Has anyone worked out if the "steam integration" for dedicated servers actually does anything? I've turned it on but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I would imagine it feeds Steam server information can use the functions like Join Game and View Players from Steam itself

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

victrix posted:

Does worldgen ever create giant mountains?

I want a world with huge peaks and valleys :colbert:

I've got some pretty big ones in the desert in my current world. Made entirely out of sand though.

Anyway, how do you get the first real tier of important picks? You need shadow scales to craft it but to fight the boss that drops those you need a pick that can break the stones you need the shadow scales for.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

I've got some pretty big ones in the desert in my current world. Made entirely out of sand though.

Anyway, how do you get the first real tier of important picks? You need shadow scales to craft it but to fight the boss that drops those you need a pick that can break the stones you need the shadow scales for.

You can bomb your way through that.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Or you can use the purification powder sold by the druid to make turn the corrupted blocks into normal stone.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Samopsa posted:

Or you can use the purification powder sold by the druid to make turn the corrupted blocks into normal stone.

Explosions are more fun.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I haven't played Terraria since they added The Twins/Destroyer/Skeletron Prime were added. I started a new game on Expert. How different is it between Normal and Expert?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So expert mode plantera is kicking my rear end- I can get him down to 25%ish fine, but once he enters the second phase and starts growing mini-tentacles I die in seconds- do I need to just lead him to the surface and hover above his head?

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Samopsa posted:

This is the intended route. You're supposed to beat Eye of Cthulhu first so that the Dryad spawns, then buy the dust from her and use it to make your way through the Corruption/Crimson. Of course, if you have bombs and Corruption it's best to do Eater of Worlds since it's an easier boss that requires less setup to defeat.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
That's one of the reasons I kind of prefer the Corruption, to be honest. The Crimson is really creepy and thematic and everything, but the Brain of Cthulhu is just a colossal pain in the rear end in a top hat whereas the Eater of Worlds is a really cool, climactic, challenging fight early on and an extremely easily-farmed money generator later. It's just a much better and more fun boss in every way.

Also, the Corruption's music is 1000% better than the Crimson's :colbert:

Omi no Kami posted:

So expert mode plantera is kicking my rear end- I can get him down to 25%ish fine, but once he enters the second phase and starts growing mini-tentacles I die in seconds- do I need to just lead him to the surface and hover above his head?

Plantera freaks the gently caress out and becomes Super Dangerous if you lead it to the surface. It's better if you keep your jungle tunnels relatively tidy and prepare a large central arena underground - you can rush back there after awakening Plantera and have enough room to manoeuvre around it without getting immediately obliterated once it gets angry.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Expert mode melee is 0 fun. DieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDie then die some more

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Expert mode melee is 0 fun. DieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDieDie then die some more

I got a yo-yo off a bat and it turns out, they're awesome. You just hold the button and things get knocked back away from you. I don't know if the yo-yo weapons are new or if they were added in 1.2 which I skipped, but they rock.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yoyos are this update.
Not sure how they're different than flails
There's some accessories specific to yoyos, though, you can craft a string that extends its length for instance.

I didn't like the sound of expert mode, and I hope that not too many of the new fun stuff's behind it. Normal Terraria combat is annoying enough since you are constantly swarmed with random enemies everywhere. I intend to just go through normal mode and maybe even get to the pumpkin/frost events using meetyourDemize's tips, then maybe go to expert mode with end game gear.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jul 1, 2015

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.
e. I am a idiot.

Looking forward to playing this and ruin my master thesis

Mordekai fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 1, 2015

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

Yoyos are this update.
Not sure how they're different than flails
There's some accessories specific to yoyos, though, you can craft a string that extends its length for instance.
They're superficially similar, but handle a lot different. As long as you hold the button down (up to five seconds or so?) the yo-yo will stay out and do damage and knock back/hitstun whatever its touching, and it will hold its position in the air or follow along walls and the floor as you move. They're also a lot smaller, which means they're a little harder to hit with but can fit through one-block gaps in walls just fine. The accessories ramp them up a fair bit too... ones I've seen are a string that increases the range, counterweights that cause another yo-yo to pop out and flail about you after hitting something, and (in hardcore) a glove that fires two yo-yos simultaneously. Which can all three be combined into a single accessory that improves on them all and basically results in what can best be described as yo-yo bullet hell. :allears: They appear to be the melee answer to how ranged weapons tend to be so much more useful, especially lategame.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
:doh: I didn't hold the button down
That's why the counterweight didn't seem to be doing anything. Argh.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Man, my two friends and I are just getting completely curbstomped by expert mode Skeletron. I've got a 21 damage yoyo + countweight from the travelling merchant and am in full crimtane, while they are both in full bee gear with bee guns and bee pets from the bee scepter as well as demon scepter books. We pretty much just die before even getting a fourth of his health off or smashing any of his arms. He does so much damage, and no matter how fast you run or how much you jump you can't really reliably dodge him even with an arena that's a bunch of flat platforms to run on , and with the longer respawns on expert and the tendency for bosses to just leave if you die too much, you can't even cheese him with respawns any more. Is there something we should do first or is there some trick to him? Even if you can survive him for a little while he has /so much health/ and hurts so much on each hit, that I'm thinking we must be doing something very wrong here.

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.
I started on normal mode so my son and I could play together but our starting position is sandwiched between underground desert (brutal) and underground arctic (slightly less brutal) with a granite biome spreading all the way under both of those (most brutal). I like the challenge but drat, the tombstones are starting to stack on each other.

We did find two excellent minecart tracks running between the two, which was fun when we had to escape danger by riding them off into the unknown, holding torches so we could see where we would end up, which turned out to be a pool of lava. I wish I'd had a game like this with my dad when I was a kid, it's hilarious fun.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Wolpertinger posted:

Man, my two friends and I are just getting completely curbstomped by expert mode Skeletron.

My preferred tactic for skeletron and a lot of other bosses is so cheesy that it'd murder lactose intolerant players, but I stock up on gravitation and mana potions, and simply spend the entire fight holding left (until I hit the world's edge, then I switch to holding right) and toggling between apple falls up, apple falls down. A lot of bosses don't track vertical movement well, and it will usually keep skeletron far enough away to mitigate his attacks, while still keeping him close enough to hit.

I used Flairon + Razorblade Typhoon (for healing with spectre armor), the former's homing bubbles mitigates the challenge of aiming while zigzagging through the sky, and the latter keeps you alive if he gets in a few hits while a potion is on cooldown.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Omi no Kami posted:

My preferred tactic for skeletron and a lot of other bosses is so cheesy that it'd murder lactose intolerant players, but I stock up on gravitation and mana potions, and simply spend the entire fight holding left (until I hit the world's edge, then I switch to holding right) and toggling between apple falls up, apple falls down. A lot of bosses don't track vertical movement well, and it will usually keep skeletron far enough away to mitigate his attacks, while still keeping him close enough to hit.

I used Flairon + Razorblade Typhoon (for healing with spectre armor), the former's homing bubbles mitigates the challenge of aiming while zigzagging through the sky, and the latter keeps you alive if he gets in a few hits while a potion is on cooldown.

I'm kind of surprised you still have to cheese him with hardmode weapons too. Expert hardmode bosses must be horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
The Wall of Flesh expert drop is pretty good.
It's a consumable that bumps your number of accessories up by 1.