Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

H.P. Grenade posted:

I started on normal mode so my son and I could play together but our starting position is sandwiched between underground desert (brutal) and underground arctic (slightly less brutal) with a granite biome spreading all the way under both of those (most brutal). I like the challenge but drat, the tombstones are starting to stack on each other.

We did find two excellent minecart tracks running between the two, which was fun when we had to escape danger by riding them off into the unknown, holding torches so we could see where we would end up, which turned out to be a pool of lava. I wish I'd had a game like this with my dad when I was a kid, it's hilarious fun.

Yeah granite biomes are rough, especially early on since just being near them causes unlimited waves of granite golems and elementals to spawn. I got penned into an abandoned shack under ground for like twenty minutes just slowly pecking away at like fifty golems earlier. The mine cart tracks are rad though and I kind of want to see how far you can take them, like is there a limit on how vertical you can build with them and whatnot. My only issue with them is that I can't figure out how to get off of the tracks once I get on without breaking the track I'm on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Pressing the grapple button seems to work for minecart dismounting.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Nuebot posted:

Yeah granite biomes are rough, especially early on since just being near them causes unlimited waves of granite golems and elementals to spawn. I got penned into an abandoned shack under ground for like twenty minutes just slowly pecking away at like fifty golems earlier. The mine cart tracks are rad though and I kind of want to see how far you can take them, like is there a limit on how vertical you can build with them and whatnot. My only issue with them is that I can't figure out how to get off of the tracks once I get on without breaking the track I'm on.

Right click the buff off of your character. That's what I've been doing (it's horribly inefficient). That and jumping off the tracks onto another solid surface.

In regards to expert mode, I'm really thinking it's designed for pushing the absolute limit of your character's builds. Looking at the final boss, I can't even fathom how on earth you could possibly stay alive against it in expert. I think I'm going to keep on soldiering through my expert playthrough and trying to get my health up higher. I took some time to do a little fishing and got the Reaver Shark and a Swordfish, both exceptionally useful items for my 160 health rear end. I found one of the "sword shrines" but my sword was a fake, and it broke into nothingness. Heads up If you see a 1x1 hole in your overworld, mine down into it and see if your sword shrine is legit or not.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I started up a new expert game, wondering what housing gimmick I was going to do this time around... and there's a huge living tree less then one screen away from my starting point.

The RNGods have spoken.

I usually try to work my way up to like a full-on Castlevania, but I usually peter out and just settle for wizard tower :smith:
Living Tree forts are usually pretty great, though.

Do you just occupy the tree innards, or do you build a big ol' treehouse onto it, too?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Full turtle, 69 defense, and vamp knives lets me crush expert non-hardmode bosses really easy. Especially with wings.

I don't really want to make a new intricate flying base just cause of expert world, but I know I have to. One day... I didn't even finish my old one.

Note the kill-everything-that-moves spikeball traps!

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Does anyone know what the 'Key of the Night' does? You can craft it with 15 souls of night.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
With full turtle and a flairon, you can beat the hardmode Fishron. Even got to level 15 of the pumpkin moon with endgame gear, but there aren't new goodies.

H.P. Grenade
Oct 21, 2003

Smooth.

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Right click the buff off of your character. That's what I've been doing (it's horribly inefficient). That and jumping off the tracks onto another solid surface.

Minecarts count as a mount so you can also press your mount hotkey, which you can assign to whichever button you'd like.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I somehow lost all of my old data, so I had to start from scratch. The early game is so frustrating with its limited mobility options. I need to do some serious searching for health crystals, but mining is so slow. I got a rich mahogany wand from a jungle shrine, so I know what I'm doing for a base at least.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What changes were made to Crimson between 1.2 and 1.3? I have a world from 1.2's launch with Crimson that I want to explore since I've never really seen it, but the world I just made for 1.3 is Corruption and I don't feel like farting around with world gen and house-building on two separate maps right now.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Does anyone know what the 'Key of the Night' does? You can craft it with 15 souls of night.

If you put it in an empty chest it spawns a corrupt mimic, which drops some good poo poo. The things move fast, hit hard, and take a lot of damage. There's also a key of light made from souls of light, which has the same deal. I got a hook from the hallow mimic that was strictly better than the dual hook I had been using.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

You can dismount from minecarts with the E key.

Which is probably the mount key, I just haven't hit that point in my new game yet.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
E is my grappling hook key, and hitting it definitely dispels the mine cart at once. You can grapple to the tracks, too, so it's easy enough to go "OH poo poo" and slam on the brakes if you suddenly realize you're about to careen into a lava pool.

I didn't notice at first that there's a new equipment slot for a grappling hook. That's a really nice change. Anything that cuts down on the number of items that are basically always in my inventory, but don't need to be on my hotbar, is a good thing. I'm pretty excited to craft the bottomless ballsack for infinite bullets, but it's kind of annoying that I have to wait until I've got a crystal ball to do it - by that point I'm probably going to be using better bullets anyway. Are there infinite versions of the better ammunition types?

I also found a book of plant enfibrement or something like that. It's an early game accessory, found in plain chests at or near the surface. It's actually quite nice early on - while equipped, every vine you cut basically gives you a free rope, so it's trivially easy to create infinite vine rope coils and create a network of Tarzan vines to get anywhere on the map before you've made a grappling hook or found a cloud in a bottle.

e: this is totally subjective and baseless, but it seems like they made clouds in bottles and mirrors of return wayyyy more common. They also made recall potions pretty ubiquitous. Lot of very good changes in this update.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 1, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

has the mushroom biome always glowed neon pink during blood moons? man this game is loving gorgeous now

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Has anyone got Wormhole potions to work? I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Xenaero posted:

Has anyone got Wormhole potions to work? I cannot for the life of me figure it out.

In multiplayer, press M to open up the map and then click on someone else's head. It might work in singleplayer with NPCs, but I'm not sure about that.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Pyroi posted:

In multiplayer, press M to open up the map and then click on someone else's head. It might work in singleplayer with NPCs, but I'm not sure about that.

That's what I've been doing, is there a certain zoom level I need to be at, or hit a button beforehand?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

So since I'm a casual player, pls give me your hot pro tips on how to be efficient at mining the ores you need early on to make your poo poo.

Like, I made a shaft near my cabin and just dug down while also exploring any caves I discovered on the sides. hosed around for like an hour and came home with 20 tin and 1 lead bar. Oh hey, making tin armor takes like three times that amount :suicide:

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

So since I'm a casual player, pls give me your hot pro tips on how to be efficient at mining the ores you need early on to make your poo poo.

Like, I made a shaft near my cabin and just dug down while also exploring any caves I discovered on the sides. hosed around for like an hour and came home with 20 tin and 1 lead bar. Oh hey, making tin armor takes like three times that amount :suicide:

Don't make tin armor, it sucks. Better go to the desert and pick cactus, it can be made into armor.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Does anyone know what kind of hardware is required to run a dedicated server? I have an old laptop lying around I was thinking of using as a dedicated server for my friends and I, but I don't know if its strong enough.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I was fighting my first Eater of Worlds on my new character, I'm doing really well, barely taking damage and got it down to just one pat of like three sections. It curves away to make one last go, I hear its digging sound get further away, further... and it's gone and the boss music fades out to be just normal corruption. The boss ran away. :(

Also I've gotten two rain of slimes events, and both times the King Slime killed me. I didn't have the ranged attacks necessary to beat on it while also staying out of reach.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

Xenaero posted:

That's what I've been doing, is there a certain zoom level I need to be at, or hit a button beforehand?

Needs to be on the same color team as yourself.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Excelzior posted:

I've always thought you needed 3 empty spaces past a crafted block to handle the vines. I usually do 1 layer of wood/3 empty spaces/1 layer of wood. Haven't had any surprises so far

p.s. the murder of crows build owns even more with an added accessory slot :c00l:

Alright I'll give that a try. Last time I played I think I had my trenches 6 or 7 blocks wide and I used stone brick (since I had thousands of stone blocks) to line it so if I can keep it narrower that'd be nice.

Jabarto posted:

You don't need to line your trenches. As long as there are 4 empty tiles between the two sides nothing can spread across it.

Do enemies no long have projectile attacks that spread corruption/hallow? Because I thought those attacks were the entire reason you line your trenches.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Alright I'll give that a try. Last time I played I think I had my trenches 6 or 7 blocks wide and I used stone brick (since I had thousands of stone blocks) to line it so if I can keep it narrower that'd be nice.

Do enemies no long have projectile attacks that spread corruption/hallow? Because I thought those attacks were the entire reason you line your trenches.

They took the corruption spread out back in 1.2 because it was too much.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Wolpertinger posted:

I'm kind of surprised you still have to cheese him with hardmode weapons too. Expert hardmode bosses must be horrifying.

There's the distinct possibility that I'm either underequipped or plain sucky at bosses, but I find the Expert hardmode boss DPS to be complete BS. With full HP and wearing shroomite gear it feels like any of the bosses can kill me in 2-3 good hits, so my strategy becomes less about DPS, and more about survival.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I've been playing a lot of Hardcore on... 1.1 I think? Haven't played 1.2 much but now I'm definitely going back. :unsmigghh:
So, are there any stupid instakills apart from 1) using the eye summon item while an eye is already spawned, 2) escaping Wall of Flesh?

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

omeg posted:

I've been playing a lot of Hardcore on... 1.1 I think? Haven't played 1.2 much but now I'm definitely going back. :unsmigghh:
So, are there any stupid instakills apart from 1) using the eye summon item while an eye is already spawned, 2) escaping Wall of Flesh?

Last time I played Skeletron and Skeletron Prime would one-shot kill if they hit you after dawn broke.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Celebrating Bee Independence Day. :allears:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Do you need to do something special to trigger the martian invasion? I've killed all the boss except the moon lord but I'm not finding the probe thing or whatever to set it off.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Please make a minecart track solely for kiting normal-mode Eye of Cthulu around on a daring minecraft adventure while you shoot at him.. Include ramps, or you're not doing it right at all. Can confirm its excellent.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

Do you need to do something special to trigger the martian invasion? I've killed all the boss except the moon lord but I'm not finding the probe thing or whatever to set it off.

Kill golem and look up. There should be a bunch of ufo's in the background when the probes spawn. They're not there all the time and sometimes you can go days without seeing one and sometimes you get 3 in a row.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Is Hard Mode still a garbage patchwork addition that fucks over multiplayer servers instead of being properly integrated with everything else at worldgen?

legoman727 posted:

Hey 37th Chamber, your server is fantastic, but some dick set it to hard mode with most of the group at 120 HP and there's corruption at our doorstep. mind doing a world reset?
Ah, I see that it is.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Thyrork posted:

Celebrating Bee Independence Day. :allears:

Surely this is Inbeependence Day

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I feel as though siege events would be way more fun if we got some defensive options. I should be able to build turrets and equip the NPCs with my old junk (though them just being able to attack was a nice change)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm really not a fan of the extended wait time after death on expert mode- it might make sense in a PvP environment, but when I'm trying to have fun in singleplayer it feels like a petty waste of time.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

DrManiac posted:

I feel as though siege events would be way more fun if we got some defensive options. I should be able to build turrets and equip the NPCs with my old junk (though them just being able to attack was a nice change)

You can build cannons as of 1.2, I believe.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Regarding first tier pickaxes, if you have the Crimson on your world you can just farm up 15 Vertebrae from the monsters in it and then craft the spine to summon the Brain. He'll drop a ton of Crimtane Ore and Flesh that you can craft into a Meteorite and Crimson block smashing pickaxe.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Tamayachi posted:

Regarding first tier pickaxes, if you have the Crimson on your world you can just farm up 15 Vertebrae from the monsters in it and then craft the spine to summon the Brain. He'll drop a ton of Crimtane Ore and Flesh that you can craft into a Meteorite and Crimson block smashing pickaxe.

You can do this with the Eater as well, it's just a bit more annoying to farm up the summon item since you need a bunch of vile mushrooms.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Can anyone tell me what exactly the Dye maker is looking for when he wants a "Strange Plant"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
just some kind of strange plant that you don't recognize.

Someone found one in the corruption earlier in the thread but he seems to be the only one, just find some kind of plant that doesn't look like anything else, not even like one you'd grind for dye.

I haven't even found a single vile mushroom so I don't think my chances for that quest are that high.