Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Spergminer posted:

Around your world some weird looking plants will spawn, so far I've found a wilted corruption looking plant that's like 2x3 sq, and when I handed it in I got some insane looking twilight dye.

It looks like it's fisherquest, but with no time limit, location and the only reward is special as gently caress dyes.

found it in the forest biome, next to spawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Geektox posted:

I would imagine it feeds Steam server information can use the functions like Join Game and View Players from Steam itself

It doesn't though. At least not as far as I can tell -

Since you can't run dedicated server through steam itself you don't end up in a situation where other players can click on you and "join game". And afaik steam has no "server discovery" mechanism so the entire thing seems pointless.

Trying to get out of setting up dynamic DNS just so my friends can join the server.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

An actual Strange Plant. That's the name.

They're lying, practically invisible, in the mines of the world. Turn one in to him and he gives you three copies of an exclusive dye picked at random.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
So uh the Final boss is bugged out and permanently rampaging on Poxins' server :shepicide: The end times are here.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Re: Strange Plants: They don't all look the same. I found one in... the forest or jungle. It was bright orange, about as tall as my character, and with round leaves or cups. It was just called Strange Plant when I harvested it, and when I turned it in, the dye trader gave me Reflective Gold Dye, which makes my armor look golden, but with an active shader that reacts to nearby light sources.

I don't deserve such cool armor. :(

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

John Lee posted:

Re: Strange Plants: They don't all look the same. I found one in... the forest or jungle. It was bright orange, about as tall as my character, and with round leaves or cups. It was just called Strange Plant when I harvested it, and when I turned it in, the dye trader gave me Reflective Gold Dye, which makes my armor look golden, but with an active shader that reacts to nearby light sources.

I don't deserve such cool armor. :(

I've been playing for 15 hours today without seeing a second strange plant. You deserve the cool armour, because I think the plants are pretty rare.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So I finally actually looked a the achievement list.

Mecha Mayhem
Do battle against the Twins, the Destroyer, and Skeletron Prime simultaneously and emerge victorious.

I, uh, guess everyone is expected to be Yrimir?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

So, what the hell. The map no longer works in my copy of terraria. No minimap, can't open the main map, changing the key bindings doesn't do anything, and it's the same for both single player and multiplayer. Anyone else run into something like this? And how the hell do you fix it? It was working fine yesterday. :psyduck:

EDIT: Oh never mind I'm an idiot. It somehow got set to disabled from the main menu setting, and I only kept checking it in-game. Still have no idea how that got flipped since I never changed it to disabled to begin with, but hey. :downs:

Asimo fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 1, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Supremezero posted:

Mecha Mayhem
Do battle against the Twins, the Destroyer, and Skeletron Prime simultaneously and emerge victorious.

:ssh: there's a new level of endgame gear that makes it trivial (you don't have to do it on Expert mode!)

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
how do you beat Expert Wall of Flesh? Even with full molten armor, a long hellbridge and a minishark I could only do 1/4 of his health before he killed me

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Mecha Mayhem

This is actually easy as hell with Fishron+ gear but don't do it right now. I've tried three times now with skele/twins/dest, dest/twins/skele and twins/skele/dest comboes and it won't unlock the achievement.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Desperate Character posted:

how do you beat Expert Wall of Flesh? Even with full molten armor, a long hellbridge and a minishark I could only do 1/4 of his health before he killed me

Buff potions, a bow using jester/hellfire arrows (make sure to use an archery potion!), and depending on whether you died from hitting the edge of the map or just attrition use the armor from the dungeon that boosts ranged attacks instead of molten armor.

Matt141
May 3, 2012

(1.3 endgame spoilers)Finally defeated the moonlord on expert on poxin's server, it's soooo not worth it, his hp total reaches over 1 million with like 6 players, and the expert accessory is just a accessory that's a shittier gravity pot(can't change your direction mid-air). Not only that, you gotta kill the moonlord several times to get a single full set of 1.3 armor, don't bother with expert outside of wall of flesh, eater of worlds and fishron accessories, others are worthless.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Matt141 posted:

(1.3 endgame spoilers)Finally defeated the moonlord on expert on poxin's server, it's soooo not worth it, his hp total reaches over 1 million with like 6 players, and the expert accessory is just a accessory that's a shittier gravity pot(can't change your direction mid-air). Not only that, you gotta kill the moonlord several times to get a single full set of 1.3 armor, don't bother with expert outside of wall of flesh, eater of worlds and fishron accessories, others are worthless.

God forbid you play something for "fun" or "the challenge". :jerkbag:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

After a third major update that most developers would call DLC and charge for, I can only conclude that Redigit hates money.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

President Ark posted:

God forbid you play something for "fun" or "the challenge". :jerkbag:

It's just bigger numbers delivered faster. People just threw themselves at him until he died, with one of them being invincible. It was like watching a Lemmings death march.

From the standpoint of someone who just sat and watched, I'm not sure how that could qualify as fun for most people unless they like seeing the HP whittled down bit by bit.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh man. Had a goblin invasion come to my village, and having the NPCs all fight along you is awesome. I think the painter managed to turn one of them green.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

watho posted:

Is that just musket balls or special ammo as well? I assume the former.
I don't know, I don't have any special ammo to check.

Did waterleaf blooming conditions change, by the way? I tried pouring a bucket of water over a couple but didn't get any seeds. And does anybody know what the planters the Dryad sells now are for?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Tallgeese posted:

It's just bigger numbers delivered faster. People just threw themselves at him until he died, with one of them being invincible. It was like watching a Lemmings death march.

From the standpoint of someone who just sat and watched, I'm not sure how that could qualify as fun for most people unless they like seeing the HP whittled down bit by bit.

Don't forget we had a martian invasion at about the halfway point, at which case our litany of deaths became half from him, half from having tesla bolts rammed up our asses.

FUN! :shepface:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

All in all, a good day.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Zereth posted:

I don't know, I don't have any special ammo to check.

Did waterleaf blooming conditions change, by the way? I tried pouring a bucket of water over a couple but didn't get any seeds. And does anybody know what the planters the Dryad sells now are for?

I got waterleaf seeds when harvesting some when it was raining in the desert. No idea about the planters.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

It's less that and more the "ehhh his loot sucks he's not worth it" attitude. Like, you may as well kill him at least once just for the boss fight experience.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 2, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I just got a new bow drop from Queen Bee.

It turns your (specifically wooden, I guess) arrows into "columns of bees"

:shepface:

I need some wooden arrows.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Speaking of the NPCs doing things in battle, anyone know what the Dryad does during invasions and events like the Blood Moon? She's channeling a green spell with a massive leaf swirl around her that covers most of the screen in two concentric circles. Haven't seen it affect enemies; is it like a healing spell?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
It raises your defence, not sure if its a flat number or not.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tallgeese posted:

A lot of MMO bosses seem to be built around the idea that people enjoy this :v:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I didn't see this mentioned yet, but has the GPS always worked in your inventory? Because it and the R.E.K. 3000 both function while in your inventory; they don't need to be in your accessory slots. So awesome.

I started a new character and world for this update, and I don't ever remember having so much fun. I lucked out early on and found the Enchanted Sword in the granite sub-biome and it slaughters everything pre-hardmode. I haven't started hardmode yet.

Also, yo-yos are amazing once you realize you can freely move it around for the duration while holding the mouse button.

Edit: Also, SLIME MOUNT!! It doesn't move very fast but it jumps amazingly high.

Edit 2: Did I say how good the Enchanted Sword is? It autoswings and shoots a high damage glowing projectile every second. I haven't used a single torch or flare in ages.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 2, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Found some arrows. Bee's Knees (the bow) is amazing: It shoots an "arrow" made of a bunch of bees as a normal arrow, and when it hits something, each bee goes off and does it's own thing.

Ambaire posted:

I didn't see this mentioned yet, but has the GPS always worked in your inventory? Because it and the R.E.K. 3000 both function while in your inventory; they don't need to be in your accessory slots. So awesome.

I started a new character and world for this update, and I don't ever remember having so much fun. I lucked out early on and found the Enchanted Sword in the granite sub-biome and it slaughters everything pre-hardmode. I haven't started hardmode yet.

Also, yo-yos are amazing once you realize you can freely move it around for the duration while holding the mouse button.

All of the information type accessories do now. It's pretty amazing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Daeren posted:

I got waterleaf seeds when harvesting some when it was raining in the desert. No idea about the planters.
Okay it did change. That's annoying.
What are those borders around some of your items?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Geomancing posted:

Speaking of the NPCs doing things in battle, anyone know what the Dryad does during invasions and events like the Blood Moon? She's channeling a green spell with a massive leaf swirl around her that covers most of the screen in two concentric circles. Haven't seen it affect enemies; is it like a healing spell?

She must do this when any enemy is nearby, not just during events, because I have definitely seen her doing this when no events are going on.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zereth posted:

Okay it did change. That's annoying.

What are those borders around some of your items?

Alt+leftclick marks an item as favorite. It disables quick trash, chest stacking and selling. Good for stackable items that you want to keep some of in your inventory, as well as all your valuable items so you don't accidentally trash them.

Edit: I love how useful the npcs are in invasions now. When I had my first goblin invasion, all my npcs were down in the battle area helping kill stuff. The demolition man uses explosives, gun guy shoots them, paint guy was using a chromatic paint sprayer, etc. 1.3 would have been a $20 expansion for any other game and I would have paid it gladly.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Found some arrows. Bee's Knees (the bow) is amazing: It shoots an "arrow" made of a bunch of bees as a normal arrow, and when it hits something, each bee goes off and does it's own thing.

All of the information type accessories do now. It's pretty amazing.

They also have another huge crafting tree item, much like the ankh shield, that even combines with your magic mirror. I'd love to make one, but it looks like one of the ingredients is a rare drop from Nymphs, which are rare enough as it is.

Also, is there any trick to finding the Skeleton Merchant?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

According to the wiki the drop from the nymphs is 100%, though I can't verify this because I haven't seen a nymph since before the update.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Akett posted:

According to the wiki the drop from the nymphs is 100%, though I can't verify this because I haven't seen a nymph since before the update.

Really? I saw one earlier today but it got away.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
so are you supposed to do expert with a new character?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

You can. I am, but it's pretty deadly; things require a lot of skill and/or preparation, and it lengthens the progression considerably.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
So what is the deal with the multiplayer Steam integration now? I have yet to find an informed description of what, exactly, has changed. Does it mean that dedicated servers are no longer necessary?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Are there any proper elevators in this game, or any way to set some up? Having an easy way to go up and down would be nice.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Are there any proper elevators in this game, or any way to set some up? Having an easy way to go up and down would be nice.

Rope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Nuebot posted:

Going down is easy, dig a giant shaft and jump. A pool of water at the bottom (or appropriate trinket) is recommended if you don't want to shatter every bone in your body, of course.

Going up? Mash grappling hooks, use rope, gravity potions, and jump/flight extenders, unless that's changed in 1.3 and I haven't found a new method yet.