Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Finally killed the final boss on expert, took a lot of time and visits to the nurse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Teleporters, zigzag minetracks. On the other hand my minecart elevator gave me a headache from the screen slamming back and forth.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
The nymph is supposed to drop that metal detector 100% of the time? Dang, got bugged then. I got the achievement and everything, just didn't drop anything at all. Have to wait for a second, I guess.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I guess the wiki is wrong. Now that I think about it I have the achievement too, so I must have seen one since the update.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dang I was hoping they'd implemented actual elevators but I guess I'll have to deal with ropes, yeah, until I can figure out how teleports work. At least ropes are cool.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The best thing about the slime mount is that bouncing off enemies does damage (and usually stops you from taking contact damage). This can (with some risk) absolutely trivialize certain fights if you get between the boss and a ceiling.

Doesn't work on Skeletron though, he is an absolute motherfucker on expert mode. You can bounce on him and ride him up into the sky but he just instakills you and despawns after a certain distance. I feel like he should either have less health or damage, his second stage is an absolute grind even with the best gear available at that stage of the game. Also having him disable life regen, which is specifically the set bonus from crimtane, is a real dick move.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Just discovered you can make and endless quiver and musket pouch.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

benzine posted:

Just discovered you can make and endless quiver and musket pouch.
Speaking of which do any of the goon servers up have a crystal ball around I could do that on and just fire my minishark at everything forever without caring about ammo?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Red must seriously not like wizard builds or something. Every time you drink a mana potion, your magic damage is lowered by 20% for 10 seconds, reduced by 2% per second. If you drink another potion before it's up, the remaining damage loss is rolled over to the next duration. Meanwhile everyone else has moved onto bullets and going through thousands of ammo at a time like it's no big deal. :geno:

I wonder if he intended magic users to pace themselves and rely on regeneration while standing still, but that just doesn't work on boss fights. I keep running dry and I feel like I'm being a detriment to the group because of the boss's HP being scaled up.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

oh man, my world is less-than-1% corrupt

and I can't find the last few blocks for the life of me

:shepicide:

e: done! The Real Terraria begins now.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 2, 2015

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

So what is the deal with the multiplayer Steam integration now? I have yet to find an informed description of what, exactly, has changed. Does it mean that dedicated servers are no longer necessary?

Dedicated servers are still necessary if you want a dedicated server. Dedicated server doesn't appear to be compatible with steam integration.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Found a nymph, the wiki is definitely wrong, the drop rate isn't 100%.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Yoyos might be somewhat overpowered.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Excelzior posted:

oh man, my world is less-than-1% corrupt

and I can't find the last few blocks for the life of me

:shepicide:

e: done! The Real Terraria begins now.

Is there any real reason to purge your world of corruption?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Is there any real reason to purge your world of corruption?

nope! it's actually counter-productive, because I have to go to other worlds to fight the eater of worlds or farm rotten chunks to summon the destroyer

the BEST thing to do is simply contain it perfectly into an airtight quarantine (which I will do on Hardmode)

e: yay! got my unicorn :3:

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 2, 2015

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Huh. Sure glad I'm exploring with my main guy, cause on my humble small expert world, I was looking through the root system of what I guess is a living tree, saw a chest behind two doors, didn't notice the pressure plate, and was glad to be standing with 15 of my 415 hp remaining.

Now I have a Leaf wand and a Living Wood wand, yay!

E: Wow, and Banners give combat buffs against different types of monsters, crazy.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 2, 2015

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Expert is fantastic bullshit and just not worth it.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Honestly my biggest gripe is that I can't just convert my existing world over to it. It seems fine, but, dammit, rebuilding again... just glad I got my gear when I had time to burn before so I can casually jump on and mess around in expert mode.

Plus it can't possibly be that bad if you're, you know, ~a terraria expert~ since there have been so many quality of life changes. Hell, just getting any flail/yoyo means combat is vastly easier and there are so many ways to get them early. Sure you may not instakill bosses immediately, but you can still do the progression and get powerful again.

gently caress starting over forever, especially on expert mode, ain't nobody got time for that

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

legoman727 posted:

Go back and do Expert with monster truck gear from a normal world if you really want its stuff. Starting fresh, Expert is an exercise in absolute tedium, and I say this as the sort of guy who does absurd, ineffectual gimmicks in Souls game for fun.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the difference between starting fresh in expert and doing gimmick poo poo in souls games is that doing gimmick poo poo in souls games is possible due to it actually having good combat

terraria does not

don't start fresh on expert

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Ugh the final boss is just so bad. Just really dumb bullet hell in a game that doesn't do bullet hell well.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
yeah I fought the final boss for about 30 minutes with vampire knives and found out the hard way there is no point killing the hand eyes as it just makes the match even more difficult for melee fighting. the four pillars take loving forever to actually kill too so it's gonna be frustrating going back to actually fight him. I'm wondering if they spawn in the same spot and I can just make grinders for them

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Desperate Character posted:

yeah I fought the final boss for about 30 minutes with vampire knives and found out the hard way there is no point killing the hand eyes as it just makes the match even more difficult for melee fighting. the four pillars take loving forever to actually kill too so it's gonna be frustrating going back to actually fight him. I'm wondering if they spawn in the same spot and I can just make grinders for them
:confused:

I've managed to solo the four pillars four times now and almost managed to kill the Moon Lord (~8000 health left on his last eye). It's not bad if you're running Magic with Spectre Armor/Hood.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Desperate Character posted:

Make poo poo out of the stuff you get from killing the pillars. The fire one specifically makes some really powerful melee items. With the Moon Lord, when you get low on health you can just teleport home and heal at the nurse. He won't despawn. You do need to kill the hand eyes by the way. Why the gently caress were you using Vampire knives anyways on it?
EDIT: Also the pillars spawn in approximately the same area if you kill the cultist in the same place consistently

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 2, 2015

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Gamerofthegame posted:

Yoyos might be somewhat overpowered.

You shut your mouth, Yoyos are the greatest thing ever and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

In other news: I built a thing in Poxins' server!

Solid marble :shepface:

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

legoman727 posted:

Where are people getting stuck? I hadn't played Terraria in like two years so it's been great fun and I'm kind of worried I'll run into a wall. It IS kind of frustrating at parts, killing the brain was a pain, but there's so much to discover that it's hard not to keep playing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Ugh I'm having enough trouble with non-expert hard mode as it is. The hardmode goblin invasion is bullshit, and I got it two days in a row + a blood moon. At this rate I'm going to have to hold out on trying out the mechanical bosses because I do not want solar eclipses.

At the very least Yo-yo's own pretty hard.

Any tips for making an invasion defense? Mine didn't work out that well, but it's my first time trying to actually proactively build a structure for dealing with them instead of just smashing my face into them

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Alright, Expert Eye of Cthulu's item is pretty awesome, yay dashing. Expert Wall of Flesh's extra accessory slot is cool too. There's sooooo much to this update. I want to make a PDA and finish my drat Ankh Shield. The parts better still drop in expert hard mode...

E: If there's some kind of bag of infinite holding for lovely blocks like dirt and stone and the basic ores, I may never stop playing this game. I need to sleep, I have work and drinking to do tomorrow, like an adult.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 2, 2015

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Det_no posted:

Where are people getting stuck? I hadn't played Terraria in like two years so it's been great fun and I'm kind of worried I'll run into a wall. It IS kind of frustrating at parts, killing the brain was a pain, but there's so much to discover that it's hard not to keep playing.

At least from my experience, it's not a matter of getting stuck but a matter of realizing that "boy this is tedious and I'm not really having fun."

When I have some stronger toys I'll go into an expert world to grab the trinkets from the bosses I guess but otherwise I'm sticking to normal mode.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Verviticus posted:

so are you supposed to do expert with a new character?

legoman727 posted:

Two co-op buddies and I are doing it this way (with mediumcore characters even) and it's not THAT bad. It's slow-going for sure, but we haven't seen it ramp so hard we just feel useless. The first night was a hilarious orgy of death but since then it's been relatively fine.

Granted we haven't even gotten to hardmode yet so that may color things a little differently. But it's been fun so far.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You shut your mouth, Yoyos are the greatest thing ever and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

In other news: I built a thing in Poxins' server!

Solid marble :shepface:

Amazing. How did you get the honey to flow like that? I assume it's infinite. Every guide for it in this game has huge complicated set ups

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Amazing. How did you get the honey to flow like that? I assume it's infinite. Every guide for it in this game has huge complicated set ups

Half-blocks create a waterfall effect, so you can build a pool, hammer the edges, and presto, instant cascades!

Also re: Expert mode a couple friends and I have hit a wall with Queen Bee and Skeletron. We made all-new characters in a brand new world but by the first day we had beaten Eye of Cthulu and Brain of Cthulu. Two of my friends have Meteor Armor and the Space Gun and I had Crimtane Armor and the Minishark with Meteor Bullets. Queen Bee flies all over and takes reduced damage at a certain point and then flew off when we had her down to like 500 health and Skeletron's just much more vicious. Since I'm the only one with any real Terraria experience I made sure to give everyone cooked fish and Ironskin potions before the fights, set up platform arenas and put campfires and heart lanterns around but it's just not enough. The wiki hasn't really been updated with any tips for Expert mode bosses so does anyone have any advice? I really don't want to just say "gently caress it" and get my main character with full Spectre Armor, the Bat Staff, Raven Staff, and Magnet Sphere.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
Just picked this up today and spent a few hours cave diving and collecting ores. What type of weapons/armor should I be going for? I see a lot of love for yoyos but have yet to find one and am currently using a 18 damage ice boomerang.

Also is there any way to reroll a item of you got a crap prefix on it?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Half-blocks create a waterfall effect, so you can build a pool, hammer the edges, and presto, instant cascades!

Also re: Expert mode a couple friends and I have hit a wall with Queen Bee and Skeletron. We made all-new characters in a brand new world but by the first day we had beaten Eye of Cthulu and Brain of Cthulu. Two of my friends have Meteor Armor and the Space Gun and I had Crimtane Armor and the Minishark with Meteor Bullets. Queen Bee flies all over and takes reduced damage at a certain point and then flew off when we had her down to like 500 health and Skeletron's just much more vicious. Since I'm the only one with any real Terraria experience I made sure to give everyone cooked fish and Ironskin potions before the fights, set up platform arenas and put campfires and heart lanterns around but it's just not enough. The wiki hasn't really been updated with any tips for Expert mode bosses so does anyone have any advice? I really don't want to just say "gently caress it" and get my main character with full Spectre Armor, the Bat Staff, Raven Staff, and Magnet Sphere.

So with just a small pool you can have infinite water? That's going to be useful to know. Thanks a bunch.

Regarding Expert Mode: this might be a really weird suggestion but have you killed the king slime yet? I got the Slime Mount off of him and I've just been using that to cheese pretty much everything since then. The only that's killed me since I got it have been accidental falls. Just position yourself under a ceiling and bounce off your target like you're aiming for the high score. I get the feeling expert mode is basically made for people who are either super over geared, or know every cheese tactic in the book.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Kizurue posted:

Just picked this up today and spent a few hours cave diving and collecting ores. What type of weapons/armor should I be going for? I see a lot of love for yoyos but have yet to find one and am currently using a 18 damage ice boomerang.

Also is there any way to reroll a item of you got a crap prefix on it?

Weapons/Armor have a natural progression for most of the game. Basically, when you find something new ore or material-wise, it's PROBABLY going to be better than what you have; talk to the guide to see what kind of weapons and armor you can make from new items and how much of it/other components you'll need. It'll also tell you the armor/damage rating. You don't need to worry about specific sets until the second half of hardmode, I'd say, just that your helmet, breastplate, and greaves are made from the same stuff so you get an armor set bonus.

As to yo-yos you can make one with wood and cobwebs but it'll be worse than your current item. If you have any Crimtane/Demonite Bars you can make one that does about the same amount of damage. A straight upgrade in damage will require either Jungle components for the Amazon or to get lucky with a Traveling Merchant for the Code 1.

Edit: And you can't reroll an item as-is. To get a better modifier you either need to find/make a new item or rescue the Goblin Tinkerer, who spawns in the Underground once you beat a Goblin Invasion. Once free he has an option to reforge your weapons and accessories, but at a price! The higher the rarity and better the current modifier the more expensive it'll be. And it's basically a chance roll, your item can turn out worse, better, or the same.

Nuebot posted:

Regarding Expert Mode: this might be a really weird suggestion but have you killed the king slime yet?

Yeah we have, but Skeletron and Queen Bee move around too much and they go through blocks and resist knockback, so they'll just go through you and/or keep shooting bees at you. Plus Skeletron's head takes reduced damage (I'm theorizing) as long as his hands are still intact, and those things flail all over.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 2, 2015

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Nuebot posted:

So with just a small pool you can have infinite water? That's going to be useful to know. Thanks a bunch.

The waterfalls are just cosmetic, no infinite fluid exploits here.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Steelion posted:

The waterfalls are just cosmetic, no infinite fluid exploits here.

Cosmetic is all I was looking for, so it's perfect.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

What loadouts are you gents using on expert plantera? I've gone through 10-12 tries, the arena is big enough that I can dodge, but he does so much damage that I die in 2-3 hits, and it seems like I'm doing no damage. I've been using flairon + razorblade typhoon with spectre armor for the healing, but it seems grossly insufficient.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Playin' on expert, we went to go kill Skeletron. We died, so we said gently caress it and rode our slimes into the dungeon to see how far we'd get.

There are 5 or 6 dungeon guardians stuck under my friend. They are killing themselves, and he's taking no damage.

edit: they keep coming back after a couple get killed, so I guess you could grind them for infinite bone keys??

Edit2: dude on top let go and now there's 3 of us murdering the poo poo out of em

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Feel like a right tit asking this when people have been asking similar questions, but I THINK what I'm asking is different enough so...

In this update are there any unique items bar the rare drops from the bosses in expert mode?

Say if I want to play around with the yo-yos and the new biomes can I do that in a normal game?

I'm more than happy to get end-game gear THEN taking a crack at Expert mode, but just wondering if say, Thing like the Pirate/Martian invasion are expert mode only events.

Christ, i lost so much time to this game all that time ago when I first got it and now it feels like a whole new game again. I can't wait to dig back in.