Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

MrSquarepants posted:

You're not by any chance from Edmonton are you?

There was a big tournament here last weekend and it'd be a cool coincidence if it was the same one.

No poo poo, I was totally there!

Thundergound Comics right?

I watched a couple game and it seems to be a pretty solid game, got a team of morticians on order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSquarepants
Jul 4, 2012

Hipster Occultist posted:

No poo poo, I was totally there!

Thundergound Comics right?

I watched a couple game and it seems to be a pretty solid game, got a team of morticians on order.

Yea! Nice Store. Saw a bunch of pictures on the FB page. Really great looking stuff!

I've been eyeing up the guild ball stuff every time I go there for infinity. Gonna be doing a demo game with my buddy next time we game.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Almost the entire active Warmachine community in my area has jumped ship to Guild Ball. Everyone feels burned out and GB is super fresh.

Playing against Morticians with Fishermen is a major pain in the rear end though.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
The Adepticon Tournament was increased to 32 players.

There should be spaces of you check quickly.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I got into the big tourney, pumped about it! Just need to get my models painted.

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe
Cross-posting from the painting thread, here are some Fishermen

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

I am making progress on my Alchemists, but i have no idea what I am going to do for Mist and Hemlocke.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Ran through a couple full games for the first time. Been pretty burnt out on warmahordes, and I thought maybe on mini games as a whole. Nope. This game is sweet.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

This has piqued my interest, has anyone here got Brewers and can give a summary of how they play? Drunk Vikings is totally my jam, design-wise.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

ijyt posted:

This has piqued my interest, has anyone here got Brewers and can give a summary of how they play? Drunk Vikings is totally my jam, design-wise.

Get stuck in, knock your opponent on their rear end, and put the boot in until you win. Brewers path to victory is usually one goal and 4 KOs, though you can play a decent football game with Friday, Hemlock, and Spigot if want to build to that. They are very much an in-your-face brawler crew, though.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Got my first tournament tomorrow. 32 players. I've only played about 5 games so far. Oh well I'm sure it will be fun

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe
If anyone is looking for a quick cards reference http://cards.playguildball.com/ is a nice source for them.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Really fun 32 player tournament with very nice players and lots of prizes. I won a spot prize of some condition tokens one round for being the first player to have a model killed by a condition effect. I also won a Fangtooth model for the painting competition.

My games were all close which wasn't bad seeing as I had only played with my Butchers once and I had no substitutes.

First game was against an experienced tourney player with Masons and I thought I was going to get dicked but surprisingly I pulled off a 12-4 victory. I think I was more shocked than my opponent and in true Butcher style I won with 6 kills. Who needs the ball eh? The guy I best went on to place 9th.

Having made the fatal mistake of winning first round, my next opponent was also a Masons player and again had played a few smaller tournaments. This time the game was close as toast and I lost 12-10, the game coming down to who could score the last2 points first and I got pipped to the post. He finished in 3rd place.

Game 3 was against one of the 4 guys who had flown down from Edinburgh for the tournament. He was the only other Butcher player at the event and we had a quick and bloody fight. The inclusion of the despicable Union player, Gutter, gave him the edge and I got mullered in quick time. I did think I was going to lose 12-0 , with my start being so awful but I clawed some points back and lost 12-6.

Game 4 was against an Engineers team who were surprisingly hard to steal the ball off and were shockingly good at scoring. I was slightly dubious of my opponents damage recording a few times but his pen was quite feint so I may have just been missing things. A few very bad dice rolls also didn't help, ( 11 dice needing 4s, and I roll one!). I lost that one 12-8 but I did manage to score. How un-Butcherly.

Last game was against a Union player. He also was using Gutter and seeing as she had caused me massive pain earlier I wanted revenge. I got it too, taking her out in the opening of turn 2. Things went from bad to worse for my opponent and I stomped him super hard, even scoring a goal to win 12-4.

Great day, 5 rounds is a killer, I've also really taken a shine to the Butchers and I picked up their new goalie, Tenderiser. Might have to buy Gutter too.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

A charge is successful when I have a target model in my melee range right?

Playing a demo game with a friend on Vassal and he's debating that Brisket can't do an 8" charge as it's out of range. Brisket is out of range of the models base but within range of the 1" melee zone.

I'm wondering if its just 40K rules he's applying to this.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

ijyt posted:

Playing a demo game with a friend on Vassal and he's debating that Brisket can't do an 8" charge as it's out of range. Brisket is out of range of the models base but within range of the 1" melee zone.

You cant have a failed charge, as i understand it. Due to pre-measuring, you can only declare the charge if it is going to succeed.

I will start checking the rulebook.

Edit: i checked, yeah, you can totally fail a charge, and your activation then ends immediately.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 13, 2015

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

dexefiend posted:

You cant have a failed charge, as i understand it. Due to pre-measuring, you can only declare the charge if it is going to succeed.

I will start checking the rulebook.

You can totally have a failed charge, it's used plenty to give 1 influence Furious players like Boar or Rage a "free" sprint.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
As far as I can see though the charge succeeds as long as you're "engaging" the target (so, it's in your melee range) , you don't need to get B2B.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

ijyt posted:

To bea successful charge you need to end within a models melee range, not base to base.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thanks for the replies, we checked the full rules in the meantime too and it cleared it up. It's surprisingly refreshing to be able to check a rule and get actual clarification compared to 40K.

Only turn 2 and I'm hooked, friend seems to be enjoying it too.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

ijyt posted:

Thanks for the replies, we checked the full rules in the meantime too and it cleared it up. It's surprisingly refreshing to be able to check a rule and get actual clarification compared to 40K.

Only turn 2 and I'm hooked, friend seems to be enjoying it too.

Excellent :) . Did you decide on a faction yet?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Was going to chat with him so we don't accidentally double up, but I think I'm going to go Brewers just because of their designs.

Might have a quick glance through all the Guild rules first.

e: Though I just saw some artwork for something called the Hunters Guild which I guess is a season 2 thing so might take a look at that if its out soon.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 13, 2015

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh man, just ended our first Vassal demo game. Took a few days because we were both busy and only had 30-40 min stints to do it in, so it was 3-4 turns over 3 days.

My friend's Fisherman got into an early lead with a goal at the top of turn 2. Stole the ball from my players when they were all grouped up in a push up the right side of the pitch, leaving the rest open. But the Butchers responded brutally, abusing Ox's furious charge and Legendary play - combo'ing some nasty damage with Boiler on the Fisherman's captain. Brisket did a fantastic 8" charge across the pitch and stole back the ball, fending off Siren and Angel long enough for her teammates to take out Shark and let Boiler and Ox come in to assist.

Unfortunately at this point I was so certain I had it in the bag.

The Fisherman's goal was wide open and with Siren almost out of HP and Angel not looking too good either, my team having Angel engaged thrice over. However, my team was out of activations, and Angel had 4 influence to spend. A very lucky tackle and Brisket concedes the ball to Angel, who proceeds to figuratively slip out of my fingers. I had forgotten about her 4" inch dodge and had bet everything on the trio of passing blows she'd have to face.

One quick sprint to my goal and it was all over.

I loving love this game. :pcgaming:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

What do you guys think? Too grim dark?

I still have a lot of highlighting to do.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Just bought into this game last week. Only played a handful of games but really enjoying it so far. One question though, how the hell so I win as Brewers? Currently running Tapper, Hooper, Friday, Spiggot, Stave and Scum and while I find I can happily wade in and knock some heads around, I always get out manoeuvred as soon as the opponent gets the ball.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
One of the most important concepts for a Brewers team to remember is the Pass 'n Move.

When you complete a pass, you gain one momentum (that can be spent immediately). One of the most powerful uses if this is to give the model that just got the ball a 4" dodge.

You can use this to advance towards the goal, or move out of engagement.

If your model is already in scoring position, you can use the Snap Shot to try and score as well, albeit with a penalty.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Guild Spoiler: Farmers Guild

I hope they don't go down the Slack Jawed Yokel path. Overalls, hats, tools could be cool.

What do you guys think would be some cool guilds?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
In medieval London there was a Saucemakers Guild.

Do something with that.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Seamstresses Guild. Musicians/Actors/Entertainers Guild. Magicians Guild. Teamsters Guild. Thieves/Assassins Guild. Bankers Guild. City Watch Guild. Craftsmans Guild. Etc.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
Guild Guild.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
Super psyched to be getting on board with this, only problem is I'm suffering from major CAN NOT DECIDE ON WHICH FACTION, however my PG is offering me the whole Masons faction at cost, any tips on them? Generally speaking I play really reactively (think Circle) and was leaning twards Fish, but the way the Masons are sold as on the fly generalists seems pretty appealing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I don't think you can go wrong with masons. What helped me decide was going thorough the character card and rulebook PDFs on their website.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Anti-Citizen posted:

Super psyched to be getting on board with this, only problem is I'm suffering from major CAN NOT DECIDE ON WHICH FACTION, however my PG is offering me the whole Masons faction at cost, any tips on them? Generally speaking I play really reactively (think Circle) and was leaning twards Fish, but the way the Masons are sold as on the fly generalists seems pretty appealing.

Yeah, Masons are great. Definitely jack-of-all trade teams, with lots of internal synergy and activation manipulation, some of the best Armor defense in the game, awesome damage potential between a few key defenders, and probably the best goal scorer in the game with the deepest blue eyes that you can just lose yourself in. They're not the best at any one thing, but they're pretty good at everything, and are always in the game.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Played a game today where Siren's activation caused 20" of movement to happen, generated four momentum, and set me up for the game winning goal on next activation.

Charge 9" double wrap, seduce into a pass and dodge 4", then 3" of dodges off the wrap and a pass to Sakana for another 4" dodge into an untouchable position.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

susan posted:

Yeah, Masons are great. Definitely jack-of-all trade teams, with lots of internal synergy and activation manipulation, some of the best Armor defense in the game, awesome damage potential between a few key defenders, and probably the best goal scorer in the game with the deepest blue eyes that you can just lose yourself in. They're not the best at any one thing, but they're pretty good at everything, and are always in the game.

Yeah, they appeal to my inner spike, I'm kinda sad they're not as wild looking as some of the other teams, but the models are all really dynamic figures. I'm always more of a game-play (fun not necessarily power, but from what I hear this game is pretty tight balance wise) over aesthetics, but oh man some of the goofy factions in this are awesome.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

I am liking how my guys are turning out.

I need to figure what color i am going to paint Midas' hand.

I also need Katalyst to be worth fielding. He is just abject garbage. My friend tries to tell me that his job is just to be a roadblock, but i just don't see it. If he had 2" melee, countercharge, or a momentous KD ... maybe.

Who the gently caress cares about a 2 damage pulse?

I see him as a guy that causes Rabid Animal, and thats it.

Edit: Also, you are only going to get 2, maybe 3, swings off of him, and that influence would be better used on any other Midas, Vitriol, Hemlocke, Calculus, Compound or Mist. (I just want him to be more faction defining like some of the other fatties. I like Brick and Kraken a lot.)

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 27, 2015

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

dexefiend posted:

I am liking how my guys are turning out.

I need to figure what color i am going to paint Midas' hand.

I also need Katalyst to be worth fielding. He is just abject garbage. My friend tries to tell me that his job is just to be a roadblock, but i just don't see it. If he had 2" melee, countercharge, or a momentous KD ... maybe.

Who the gently caress cares about a 2 damage pulse?

I see him as a guy that causes Rabid Animal, and thats it.

Edit: Also, you are only going to get 2, maybe 3, swings off of him, and that influence would be better used on any other Midas, Vitriol, Hemlocke, Calculus, Compound or Mist. (I just want him to be more faction defining like some of the other fatties. I like Brick and Kraken a lot.)

With Midas I've seen it easiest just to paint his entire forearm gold and blend it into the skintone near the elbow. Also dittoing that Katalyst is crap and should be subbed out.

Contiuing Mason-chat, I managed to squeeze in a quick 4-aside game with them against Engineers and they're great, easily becoming my favourite team gameplay-wise with them being synergistic as hell. Picked up Brick and their new member Chisel (btw the Season 2 player cards are so better designed than Season 1's it's unreal), what's the consensus on her? She seems like a bit of a terror if you can keep her in that 6 health sweetspot.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I assembled Venin, Ghast, and B-b-b-bonesaw today. I also got the rest of the Morticians cleaned up, but since i pin everything it takes a while to assemble.

Holidays are the best hobby days.

I hope my fellow goons had a productive Hobby-day.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I've been following this thread with some interest, especially since the game is sold as having components of WMH and Malifaux. Thinking about getting a team for at least hobbying, if nothing else. What would be a good U.S. vendor to buy from? (I'm in Missouri, if that makes a difference).

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Pyrolocutus posted:

I've been following this thread with some interest, especially since the game is sold as having components of WMH and Malifaux. Thinking about getting a team for at least hobbying, if nothing else. What would be a good U.S. vendor to buy from? (I'm in Missouri, if that makes a difference).

http://www.armadagames.com/

Based in Tampa, good stock and quick turnaround times. Met several people at the St. Louis open tournament during Warmachine Weekend who buy from Armada and they were satisfied with the store even with shipping to Seattle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Where in MO are you? I'm a St. Louis guy, just curious if we know each other.