Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

With the move to all digital products, which is great, will you still be able to get physical copies of the cards and rulebook?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Yes, through direct orders and cons.
No, not to my knowledge.

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, he would like fries with that, thank you.
Cards yes, book no?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Correct

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

That's a shame, books for mini games are a guilty pleasure of mine, moreso for the fluff than anything else.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
The new Season 4 of Guild Ball is available! Here is the rulebook in .pdf format:

http://steamforged.com/resources/

The app will be updated shortly with the new cards. All guilds got overhauls - some small changes, some big changes. The Farmers, Alchemists and Morticians got pretty extensive reworks. Also, card language in general got overhauled and made more concise. The game feels more newbie friendly, and now is a great time to start the game or try a new guild.

The base rules only got touched on. Here's the changes I can think of off the top of my head:

The team that kicks off gains a momentum in Turn 1.

Passes, as well as goals, now succeed on a 3+ instead of 4+ when within half kicking distance.

AOEs are now measured to the edge of the AOE instead of the middle. To compensate, all AOE character plays are now 2" shorter. So if a character play used to say "place an AOE within 8" you would have placed the middle of the AOE in 8. Now, it'll say place in 6, but you will measure to the edge.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Season 4 is good.
Season 4 saved us all.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Playing a season opener match tomorrow with my Alchemists. The team looks strong as heck.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
They are so much more interactive now. I got in a Smoke v. Hammer game at SCUS and it was a blast. Both players are playing the game and having fun which is a drastic improvement in that matchup.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
I’m looking forward to getting my Morticians on the table. There were lots of good changes there. Scalpel, Bonesaw, vGraves and Dirge all got significantly better. Scalpel in particular, if not better than Obulus, at least looks super fun and interesting.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Scalpel is definitely in the top 5 captains now, her skill ceiling is extremely high.

When I take a break from Hammer I want to start with Scalpel, vHemlocke, Ghast, on the kick I'd take oGraves, Dirge, and Casket. On the receive I'd take Vileswarm, vGraves, and Cosset.

Worst On Team
Aug 8, 2018

12 pints of liquid courage
Had a good scrimm today. My Farmers (Thresher, Peck, Millstone, Ploughman, Jackstraw, Tater ) into Brewers (Esters, Quaff, vSpigot, PintPot, Mash, Friday). Lots of fun, ended up losing 8 to 12. Still figuring this game out, but enjoying the changes in v4 so far. Farmers are a bit more streamlined which is a lot easier for me as a new player.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I'm quite happy with most of the Farmer changes. They're streamlined, especially the planters, and their rosters don't seem as fixed as they used to! Ploughman might be a must have for Thresher, but every player brings something different to the team - but not something you can't do without, like Harrow used to.

Their ballgame has also gone up significantly. With buffs to Bushel and Jackstraws teleport costing only one, you have two very good goal threats. Buckwheat also got buffed, but Peck is godlike in many matchups.

The one thing I'm not happy with are the captains. Thresher received further nerfs, but is still okay. Grange... I haven't found a single reason to take him. I'm really missing his TAC buff, and I'm kinda sad that we have no tac or damage buffs anymore. Grange seems to just... stand there, mostly.

All in all, despite the buff to Playbook damage results it seems hard to get consistent high damage numbers. I fear we will struggle a lot against high arm or tough hide teams.

I think Farmers are the second-most reworked guild after Alchemists, and I'm looking forward to relearning them!

Luebbi fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 19, 2018

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Yeah in many ways Granite is now a better Grange than Grange. I don't really understand what their goal was with him.

Still loving Hammer Wrecker Granite vHarmony vChisel Flint into everything.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Now that Season 4 is out, I have started playing Guild Ball a little more. What is a good source for acrylic tokens and templates? The cardboard ones have been fine so far, I would just like something nicer.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Now that Season 4 is out, I have started playing Guild Ball a little more. What is a good source for acrylic tokens and templates? The cardboard ones have been fine so far, I would just like something nicer.

I bought Masons sets from Art of War studios and they're pretty nice.

https://art-of-war-studios-ltd.myshopify.com/collections/guildballcompatible

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Muse on Minis and Frozen Forge both make good products, bit I'm pretty sure they haven't quite done all the s4 updates yet, but should have them soon.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Great, thanks for the info guys

head58
Apr 1, 2013

GEMorris posted:

Muse on Minis and Frozen Forge both make good products, bit I'm pretty sure they haven't quite done all the s4 updates yet, but should have them soon.

I got my s4 update pack from Muse a couple days ago, even though it still said pre-order on their site. A+++ would buy again

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I have the Muse on Minis Farmer sets and am very happy with their quality, top notch.

I ordered a couple more sets, including the Falconers. Their website lists 3 Harriers (they gained one in Season 4), and no token for Last Light (the only token needed for the crossover Hunters). I wrote to them about these two items. Now the first batches have been delivered, and someone posted his Falconer Set on Facebook - it included both the token and a fourth harrier, at no additional cost. Really cool.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I am supposed to be teaching Guild Ball to some friends in a week or two, so I am glad that the rules for everything are free now. Just having the app on your phone to look at all the players is nice.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
Looking at getting into Guild Ball now that Runewars worlds is over, and I'd like to hear a little about the factions. Currently, I'm liking the looks of the Falconers and Navigators, which I understand have some overlap with the Hunters and Fishermen. As you can probably tell, I like mobility and big flashy plays, and these seem to fit pretty well. Smoke also looks to be right up my alley, so Alchemists are a consideration. How do these factions tend to play on the field? How much does the game rely on a deep roster of available models? Are there additional mechanics to the minor guilds?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

MCPeePants posted:

Looking at getting into Guild Ball now that Runewars worlds is over, and I'd like to hear a little about the factions. Currently, I'm liking the looks of the Falconers and Navigators, which I understand have some overlap with the Hunters and Fishermen. As you can probably tell, I like mobility and big flashy plays, and these seem to fit pretty well. Smoke also looks to be right up my alley, so Alchemists are a consideration. How do these factions tend to play on the field? How much does the game rely on a deep roster of available models? Are there additional mechanics to the minor guilds?

OK so, it's worth noting that all guilds are in a pretty good place right now with Season 4. As a new player, there's no bad choices and it's mostly about picking what you like aesthetics-wise and style-wise, and learning how to play there. There's one caveat: the minor guilds (Order, Falconers, Navigators, Ratcatchers) are 8-man squads, and you buy a 6-man squad. They have 2 extra models from their "major" guild, who can play for either guild, and 2 of the 6 in the box can also play for the Major guild. It works like this:

Minor (cross-overs) -> Major (cross-overs)

Falconers (Mataagi, Minerva) -> Hunters (Egret, veteran Hearne)
Ratcatchers (Skulk, Pelage) -> Morticians (Bonesaw, veteran Graves)
Navigators (Fathom, Horizon) -> Fishermen (Angel, Siren)
Order (Grace, Benediction) -> Union (Harry the Hat, Mist)

Major guilds have much larger player pools to select from, and would be recommended for new players as a result, but honestly there's a lot to be said for the more settled game plans of most of the minor guilds and the lower cost of buy-in. However, buying the extra 2 models might involve buying the two boxes from the Majors, which is pricey.

I hope that's not too confusing, but it's worth mentioning as a caveat for anyone looking to get into the game and starting with Minor squads. Honestly, they're a good way to start even with the reduced squad sizes and awkward expansion options.

On to the main question!

Falconers - these guys are glass cannons. They push out multiple AOEs that act as debuffs on enemies caught in them, increasing damage taken, and some models synergise with those AOEs in other ways too. They have a lot of different ways to do damage without necessarily having to get up close and personal, and they're fast. They're not incompetent at scoring goals, but it's not their primary focus. These guys will teach you about positioning of models and AOEs, order of activation stuff, and generally how fragile you and the enemy can be. I'm not sure they're a big flashy play guild, but their Major guild, the Hunters, can be with Skatha being a ridiculous goal scoring threat and Seenah the bear being an absolute damage powerhouse.

Navigators - these are a hard passing & goalscoring skew with some limited takeout ability. Their guild ability allows them to reroll any of their dice, which makes them very reliable and messes with peoples perceptions of what individual models are capable of. They are probably the strongest minor guild and look like an absolute blast to play. They're the footballing equivalent of glass cannons, and are seriously rapid. Their major guild is just as good at goalscoring and has two captains with very different playstyles who are both very strong.

Alchemists - they are heavily focused on conditions (debuffs on enemies that have various effects and do damage after everyone's turn) and interact with them in varying and interesting ways. It's a little difficult to describe how they play if you don't know the game at all, but Smoke tends to get fairly close, douses everyone in conditions, then zips back to safety. Midas is more of a goal scoring threat. The Alch squaddies do things like remove conditions from friendlies or enemies in order to trigger some effect, or get bonuses for attacking enemies with specific conditions, or get bonuses for having conditions on themselves, etc.

Having a deep roster of models doesn't matter as much as understanding the models you have. There's the potential for bad matchups but strong basics will get you further than anything else, and there's very few ways to go wrong. Even the minors can win tournaments, the internet argues over power level constantly, and most people are really happy with the state of Season 4.

Unless they've played against GEMorris' Masons, in which case they're probably hating life.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Just to add a little to Thirsty Dogs excellent post: I heard the new (they got a large overhaul in Season 4) Alchemists described as a guild that uses conditions (like fire and poison) like another ressource, and I thought that's a really intriguing playstyle.

The Navigators have been delayed and are not available yet.

If you go for a minor guild and want the crossover players, these are often available via ebay. SFG didn't release them separatrly, but they did release them in Launch Kits as alternate sculpts. It's a little annoying that they're not readily available. The alternative is to buy the boxes for the parent guild to get the models. Pricey, but then you have two full guilds, and it's still cheaper than buying into most tabletops.

Zalabar
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, he would like fries with that, thank you.
I missed the Mortician's resin resculpts. Anyone know if those are coming back, or where to look for a used set?

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Thirsty Dog posted:

Minor (cross-overs) -> Major (cross-overs)

Falconers (Mataagi, Minerva) -> Hunters (Egret, veteran Hearne)
Ratcatchers (Skulk, Pelage) -> Morticians (Bonesaw, veteran Graves)
Navigators (Fathom, Horizon) -> Fishermen (Angel, Siren)
Order (Grace, Benediction) -> Union (Harry the Hat, Mist)

On to the main question!

Falconers - these guys are glass cannons. They push out multiple AOEs that act as debuffs on enemies caught in them, increasing damage taken, and some models synergise with those AOEs in other ways too. They have a lot of different ways to do damage without necessarily having to get up close and personal, and they're fast. They're not incompetent at scoring goals, but it's not their primary focus. These guys will teach you about positioning of models and AOEs, order of activation stuff, and generally how fragile you and the enemy can be. I'm not sure they're a big flashy play guild, but their Major guild, the Hunters, can be with Skatha being a ridiculous goal scoring threat and Seenah the bear being an absolute damage powerhouse.

Navigators - these are a hard passing & goalscoring skew with some limited takeout ability. Their guild ability allows them to reroll any of their dice, which makes them very reliable and messes with peoples perceptions of what individual models are capable of. They are probably the strongest minor guild and look like an absolute blast to play. They're the footballing equivalent of glass cannons, and are seriously rapid. Their major guild is just as good at goalscoring and has two captains with very different playstyles who are both very strong.

Alchemists - they are heavily focused on conditions (debuffs on enemies that have various effects and do damage after everyone's turn) and interact with them in varying and interesting ways. It's a little difficult to describe how they play if you don't know the game at all, but Smoke tends to get fairly close, douses everyone in conditions, then zips back to safety. Midas is more of a goal scoring threat. The Alch squaddies do things like remove conditions from friendlies or enemies in order to trigger some effect, or get bonuses for attacking enemies with specific conditions, or get bonuses for having conditions on themselves, etc.

This is great info, thanks! I should have added that I have a reasonable amount of experience playing Warmachine, so I'm familiar with many of the fundamental mechanics.

The minor guild clarification is handy. That's about what I'd put together from browsing the cards, but nice to have confirmed. I'm definitely leaning towards one of the newer pre-assembled boxes because they're cheaper and I quite like the goal and terrain, so that's part of why I'm leaning towards a minor guild. Do you know if they're updating older boxes? Their online store is a bit of a mess, and looks like they've gone through several packaging iterations.

On the Falconer side of things, Devana's Air Mail play definitely made me think they have more of a scoring focus, and Ikaros looks like a great kicker. Playbook damage values are fairly low across the board, but I guess that's where Harrier synergy makes things hard to analyse at a glance.

Navigators probably look like more my style, but with being delayed into the new year I'll probably ignore them for the moment. Fishermen definitely have a lot going for them, I'll keep my eye on them.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Zalabar posted:

I missed the Mortician's resin resculpts. Anyone know if those are coming back, or where to look for a used set?

Yes they are coming back, they had some quality issues SFG has been working out. 2018 has not been great for SFG getting product into customer's hands, but has been fantastic for the game as a whole.

Hopefully 2019 will have all cylinders firing, as this game really is excellent and imo the best grid-less minis game out there.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

When I was still playing Farmers hadn't come out yet, but I'm glad to see this game has life somewhere. It's my favorite miniature game ever but it's entirely dead within 5 hours of me.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Gorefiend posted:

When I was still playing Farmers hadn't come out yet, but I'm glad to see this game has life somewhere. It's my favorite miniature game ever but it's entirely dead within 5 hours of me.

I'm glad I finally decided to look at it. Can't really say why, but I'd always dismissed it out of hand, despite knowing the basic selling points of "good, WMH-rooted design, small model count". Maybe it was bleed-over bias against Blood Bowl and GW in general, who knows. Seems like it has some of the Malifaux trap in which the more of a faction you have access to the better you will perform, but $50 for one of those newer PVC starters is a real sweet price point for everything you need.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
If the "pre black friday sale" going on at Steamcon UK right now is any indication, there will be some extremely good prices for getting into this game coming up very soon.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Or for buying those fourth and fifth guilds you will never play, but it'd be a crime not to buy them at thst price, right?

Timing is excellent. I've been pushing Guildball in my meta for a couple of weeks. Will have three or four guys buying in thanks to those sales. Hoping the SCUK prices will be the Black Friday prices.

For those who haven't seen, they're selling the plastic boxes for 20 pounds and metal boxes for 25 pounds and call it "black friday early access".

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Miners: "Let's have Blackheart's LP every turn, for free! What could go wrong?"

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Iceclaw posted:

Miners: "Let's have Blackheart's LP every turn, for free! What could go wrong?"

I expect their actual MOV stats to be in the ranges of 3/5 and below, possibly even 1/3 for the slowest.

To me it looks as if they are trying to get their concept of season 3 Granite to work (low mov stat but somehow worth it) in a different guild.

Much like season 4 Kraken being the concept of Locus done correctly. And Seasoned Spigot being the concept of Season 3 Bonesaw done correctly.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

GEMorris posted:

I expect their actual MOV stats to be in the ranges of 3/5 and below, possibly even 1/3 for the slowest.

To me it looks as if they are trying to get their concept of season 3 Granite to work (low mov stat but somehow worth it) in a different guild.

Much like season 4 Kraken being the concept of Locus done correctly. And Seasoned Spigot being the concept of Season 3 Bonesaw done correctly.

Still have the problem of being a team you can't jam, ever.

Hackjack
Apr 1, 2013
So I just got into the game with the Masons and Brewers starter set and was checking out SFG’s Black Friday sale. https://store.steamforged.com/collections/black-friday
Looks like the webstore doesn’t list any original prices so I’m having trouble figuring out what is MSRP and what is sale price.

Is this a good bundle for someone who is new to the game and looking to get more?
https://store.steamforged.com/collections/black-friday/products/ultimate-season-4-intro-pack
I figure I can also get the other blacksmith or farmer sets if I wanted a complete faction.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Hackjack posted:

So I just got into the game with the Masons and Brewers starter set and was checking out SFG’s Black Friday sale. https://store.steamforged.com/collections/black-friday
Looks like the webstore doesn’t list any original prices so I’m having trouble figuring out what is MSRP and what is sale price.

Is this a good bundle for someone who is new to the game and looking to get more?
https://store.steamforged.com/collections/black-friday/products/ultimate-season-4-intro-pack
I figure I can also get the other blacksmith or farmer sets if I wanted a complete faction.

It's an amazing deal. The plastic boxes usually cost 50$-60$.

That said, with the Kick off box you will then have 2 Minor Guilds, and 4 half Major Guilds. That's a lot to take in at once, as the synergies are what makes Guild Ball, and getting the most out of a guild will take practice. I recommend sticking with one faction for the beginning and not hopping too much.

For farmers, I'd really recommend getting the second box, as they have a rather unique mechanic (some of the models put down harvest markers, others use them for bonuses) and the boxes aren't optimized - one has too little damage, the other too little influence, they work best with a mix of models from each box. The harvest marker mechanic is easily grasped, though, and it's quite a good guild for beginners.

Falconers and Ratcatchers are minor guilds. They both work out of the box, but can each play with two models from their "parent" guild - Hunters for Falconers, and Morticians for Ratcatchers. As luck would have it, these are available as alternate sculpts during this sale. If you want the full roster for Falconers, pick up Limited Hearne and Limited Egret; for Ratcatchers, you will need Limited Graves and Limited Bonesaw. The Falconers really like Hearne, but can do without Egret; Ratcatchers will likely want both models from the parent guild.

If you go this route, I'll list the guilds you have in order of play complexity, beginning with the easiest to learn. This is highly subjective: Brewers - Masons - Farmers - Falconers - Blacksmiths - Ratcatchers. Not sure with Blacksmiths as I've never played them, but they look a bit complicated.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
I picked up the Farmers box (honest land) this week and had a few games. It's nice to have a streamlined skirmish and maybe do a campaign or tourney. I'm still wrapping my head round the different synergies, but it's filling the hole X-wing left a few years ago. Now to get some paint on my yokels.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Make sure not to play with the cards in your Farmers box, as those are from Season 3 and Farmers got a significant overhaul in S4.

Always lay down your harvest markers with the models that can. If you don't need them for any particular synergy, place them behind you and harvest them for influence next turn.

And have fun! I love my farmers, I 4hink they're a cool and well-executed concept.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Played my third game today, it went horribly, but learned a lot. I've already printed the s4 cards, one of the guys who was watching my first game showed me the app, so I used that. It's refreshing to start a game with what is basically an army box. The team itself was more or less a blind buy, but I'm pretty happy. There's also a pretty big and active playerbase at my local flgs, so I'm assured of some variety in opponents and guilds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Sounds good! I'd recommend picking the swcond Farmers box up as well ASAP. Both boxes have models the other captain would like. Your box is a bit low on damage output, but high on harvest markers.

The good news is that, other than a single seldom-used model, you're faction complete with these two boxes.