Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
That's on my christmas list so hopefully there'll be a bunch of irate farmers under the tree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Team all painted up

Took a pic at the store, I'll try to take some with better lighting once I get a bit of a decent setup. Went against Fish 12-6 loss. Yesterday I tried to tackle Blacksmiths but lost 12-4. I did get a "click" in my head today though (it reminded me of when I first played Magic and connected the dots in my first combo) and thanks to some friendly and helpful opposition, have some more insight in how these guys work. It's nice to discover a new system and explore the different options you have.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Wowshawk posted:

Team all painted up

Took a pic at the store, I'll try to take some with better lighting once I get a bit of a decent setup. Went against Fish 12-6 loss. Yesterday I tried to tackle Blacksmiths but lost 12-4. I did get a "click" in my head today though (it reminded me of when I first played Magic and connected the dots in my first combo) and thanks to some friendly and helpful opposition, have some more insight in how these guys work. It's nice to discover a new system and explore the different options you have.

Looks great! I love the basing work. I've got the Blacksmiths coming to me from the black friday sale myself, can't wait to figure out all their combo nonsense.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Wowshawk posted:

Team all painted up

Nice work! Yeah, I know what you mean about the clicking part. I think counter-attacks, when and how to use them is a big one. Especially with Grange's Legendary. I had Ox with a full stack and poped Legendary going into Windle after Grange put up his Legendary. Counterattack. Ox player realizes there's nothing he can do about what's about to happen, does some damage and then gets pushed 1" away by Windle. What happened? Usually, Counter-Attacks can be countered by choosing to knock-down the player, but Grange's feat let me ignore the first Knock Down. Windle has 1" push on 1 and 2" push on 3. There was no way for the Ox player to keep Windle engaged, and he ended up pushed out of reach after the first attack. It's these interactions that I really like about the game.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys, took some pics which are a bit less rear end.

still not really sold on the shiny bases though. Tomorrow; another chance to beat the ratcatchers. I put the second Farmer box on top of the Christmas list, looking forward to painting those mans.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wowshawk posted:

Thanks guys, took some pics which are a bit less rear end.

Awesome! I always love the little bits of terrain that they throw into the box too.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Just got back home from Second Wind where I lost to former world champ Alex Botts in the final round, and came in second. Masons should def win the kickoff roll and choose to receive. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Interesting. I play against a Hammer masons player regularly and he seems to prefer kicking off with Hammer. His threatrange is immense and he spends most of the turn setting Hammer and/or his prison up. Masons can make it really tough to break into their ranks, and if you have the ball and go for a goal, they can usually kill whoever got the goal run.

Then again, I'm not at that skill level yet and it continues to amaze me how much different the game seems to be at a higher level. Been listening to a podcast that talked about "jailing" a model (i.e. leaving it at very low health in Turn1 and killing it top of 2), and how most guilds rely on doing that a couple times in a row - while I managed to do this once or twice, it never occured to me that this could and should be something to work towards.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

GEMorris posted:

Just got back home from Second Wind where I lost to former world champ Alex Botts in the final round, and came in second. Masons should def win the kickoff roll and choose to receive. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Congrats! A bunch of my friends from down here in Bloomington went.

Hope you had fun!

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Kicking with Hammer is fine against teams that wont crush you in a scrum, or don't have counter charge models. Butchers especially have both. They win that standoff if played at a high level. The main tool Masons have to break a standoff is Honour (to go last) and I main hammer and am not comfortable enough with honour to play her in a tournament.

dexefiend posted:

Congrats! A bunch of my friends from down here in Bloomington went.

Hope you had fun!

Thanks, It was a blast

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Is there a good writeup anywhere about this hammer prison lineup? I never know exactly what kind of strategy that's alluding to, besides Hammer/Wrecker/Granite/vHarmony/vChisel/Flint, and my Masons performance is pretty bad lately

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I recorded about an hour of masons takes early in s4 and never published them, now with second wind under my belt, I probably should go back, re-record, and also maybe set up some vassal key screens to help explain.

Basically Granite vHarmony and Chisel are an absolute nightmare to unpack and Hammer dirt naps anyone who comes into you. The interactions between team player and between a rock give folks fits. Certain matchups require significantly different strats tho.

The decision tree on this list, both active and reactive, is enormous.

Also the 6th can also be snakeskin. And its not bad with Honour either, but bring Tower as your 6th if you go that route.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Didn't get the second farmers box (natch) so picked it up at the flgs.

Played Morticians yesterday and today, 2 losses, but the game today ende at 11-11. Real tight. Would've won if I'd had first activation, but oh well.

I'm leaning more toward Grange instead of Thresher right now, seems like he would have been more useful with crowding-out bonuses. Buckwheat is a cool donkey, and Ploughman's ability to double a harvest marker is nice as well. I Just need to try out Fallow in my next game.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
I got a screamer goal with the donkey yesterday. I achieved Farmer zenith.

Also, I was at the Belgian Nationals, anyone else? An absolute blast. 50 Guildball and 30 Warmachine players, and 115€ for 3 days of gaming, including food. I've played against a couple WTC players and finished 2-4 - hey, at least I wasn't last. I will definitely go there again next year.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I wish I was at belgian nats, sounds like an amazing event, next big tourney for me is Spring Fling with a local between now and then. New stuff is hype but slightly worried about being all-in on a guild who isn't getting anything just yet.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
So the 4.1 errata dropped, along with a huge media train and 4 new captains.

There's veteran Boar for Butchers and Yukai for Fishermen. They are both featured in a cool battle report here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwludbUfDlo

There's also a scary girl with a candle for Morticians, and a lady carrying around 500 traps for the hunters.

Vincent Curkov did a pretty good summarization of the errata here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdkjtsZW4ws

Morticians and Hunters got slight nerfs, and a couple guilds and captains got buffs. I think the most interesting standout here is the Order; they have a new guild rule. They start with a Ball of Light in possession. This is basically a second ball on the pitch that can be used for passes, teamwork actions and momentum building and the like, but you can't score goals with it. The enemy team can tackle it away, but get 4 damage when they get posession of this secondary ball. It's an amazing and interesting rule that will help them immensely.

Falconers saw some buffs, too - In-Faction their Harriers now cost only 1, and Devana and Rundaas dish out more damage now.

All in all, good stuff!

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Luebbi posted:

So the 4.1 errata dropped, along with a huge media train and 4 new captains.

There's veteran Boar for Butchers and Yukai for Fishermen. They are both featured in a cool battle report here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwludbUfDlo

There's also a scary girl with a candle for Morticians, and a lady carrying around 500 traps for the hunters.

Vincent Curkov did a pretty good summarization of the errata here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdkjtsZW4ws

Morticians and Hunters got slight nerfs, and a couple guilds and captains got buffs. I think the most interesting standout here is the Order; they have a new guild rule. They start with a Ball of Light in possession. This is basically a second ball on the pitch that can be used for passes, teamwork actions and momentum building and the like, but you can't score goals with it. The enemy team can tackle it away, but get 4 damage when they get posession of this secondary ball. It's an amazing and interesting rule that will help them immensely.

Falconers saw some buffs, too - In-Faction their Harriers now cost only 1, and Devana and Rundaas dish out more damage now.

All in all, good stuff!

Order getting a free ball lets them do their cool jank constantly. Steeljaw is interesting, she really lets you bog down the field, a bit of a clock-out victory style captain. Vet boar is insane and will probably dominate everything.

Yukai is weird to me, I can't even start figuring out if their unique abilities are good or not. I feel like there's some chance it's absolutely busted, but it would be done in a way completely alien to how you normally set up goals.

Big shout outs to Stave, who got an influence bump, stronger playbook, better movement and an additional inch on the push for Barrel Lob. He's a great tech piece in certain matchups who isn't dragging the team down (entirely) anymore

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Luebbi posted:

Order and falconers stuff...

Here's a link to a streamed vassal game I (order) played vs the two-time western us nationals champ, Jon Clough (falconers) two days ago.

I'm on order and off masons until masons get some new tricks/tools/players. We ate a nerf in the errata and got no buffs despite being a "bottom-third" team with regards to results.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

It's very weird that they worked so hard to produce an easy to read compact way to communicate data in the playbook, but in the errata they write everything out longhand.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Had my first game with new and improved Falconers yesterday.

Devana did 14 Damage to Ox in one Attack. ONE! poo poo's crazy.

How: Ox attacked Minerva but she survived, attacked hi 3 times and put up a Harrier, Eye Spy and knocked him down.

Next I activated Devana, who only had 3 Influence, and used one of those to move Frelsi up and in melee of Ox. Then I moved her into the scrum and bought the first attack, doing like 5 damage. My last influence was used for a Death from above.

Ox was by now at 2 Def / 2 Arm thanks to knockdown. Devana has TAC 5, +5 for Death from above, +2 for Crowd Outs from Minerva and Frelsi, +2 from Eye Spy and +1 from Assist(Frelsi) for a total of 15 dice. Since the Harrier gets removed after the Death from above is resolved, I was also at +2 DMG (Harrier and Assist Frelsi). I proceeded to roll a single 1 with 15 dice. Minus armor, that's 12 net hits. I double-wrapped the playbook doing 3/3/2 damage, each of those +2, for a total of 14 damage and a dead Ox with only two attacks.

What I'm trying to say is that new Falconers are pretty awesome. I am deathly afraid of vet Boar, though.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
So is this game pretty much dead in the US? It's alive and well in germany, but supply troubles are really bad for the community. I had people lose interest simply because the guild they like isn't available.

Anyway, went to the german nationals last weekend with 40 attendees and managed to get 10th place and best farmer. Go me! The event was fun and tightly run.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
It's still kicking in Belgium as well. Congrats on the result fellow hick!

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Austin is still alive, with a core group of players and WargamesCon coming up in a few games with a pretty big turnout.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Its alive in Raleigh, NC and also in the pac nw as I am at Make it Rain this weekend (albeit playing poorly)

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
It's technically bigger than ever in NorCal! Got a good sized meta that's trying its best to grow

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Glad to hear that! I just assumed because this Thread was pretty much dead.

So what do you guys think of the new Rookies? Amber isn't quite what I would have wanted (a very mobile ball retrieval piece), but she's good and will replace Tater in a couplw matchups. Knuckles looks like the clear winner here wirh peobably pne rule too many, he's absurdly good.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

GEMorris posted:

Its alive in Raleigh, NC and also in the pac nw as I am at Make it Rain this weekend (albeit playing poorly)

Where at? I went to Game Theory this week and they told me it was pretty dead there

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
It’s totally dead where I live (Richmond, VA) which is unfortunate. I would really like to be able to play it more.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

It flared up super hard in Florida and died during the radio silence period around the dark souls kickstarter and season 2 launch.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
It feels like its a bit shaky here in the North East, could go up or down again. This thread has never been the most active though.

I'm excited for the new errata though.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

omnibobb posted:

Where at? I went to Game Theory this week and they told me it was pretty dead there

GT on Wednesday
GA ON Thursday (This is my regular time/location)

PM me and I will invite you to the Raleigh Discord

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

It's fairly popular and has a healthy meta in Western Massachusetts and Northern Connecticut, but I'm more of a Malifaux gal myself. I tried the Brewers and Blacksmiths and I liked painting the Masons, but the game wasn't for me.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
New Errata out and my Masons are soooooo hot right now.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Any tips for playing as the miners? I've been getting smashed to pieces by cooks and blacksmiths. They don't have the damage to punish enemy glass cannons, and tunneling behind something and dashing at the goal is useful once, and then you have to steal the ball back getting smashed up.

Though I do claim a moral victory for pulling off a Mole Goal.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Just started painting my masons, waiting for the primer to dry right now.

I played this for the first time a few days ago and it seems, very good. However, theres a tournament here on the 7th of December and I've registered for it already. So I'm going.

I have the 3rd edition starter box, and I'm leaning towards Masons as they seem to have more options for play.

So, thread are there things I should know not to get completely stomped? Any newbie pitfalls I should avoid? I fully expect to get schooled but I'd like to maintain a certain amount of dignity while it happens.

Edit: For reference I have Honour, Harmony, Brick, Marbles, Mallet and Flint at my disposal and apparently the tournie organiser is known to lend models if anyone needs one for a game (and he has all of them.)

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Honour Marbles Granite vChisel Tower and then vHarmony/Mallet/Flint depending on matchup, as a baseline.

Understand what you can do with superior strategy on Honour and reloading inf with vChisel.

This game has so much depth there is no way a new player doesn't get stomped, just use the tourney as reps to learn.

Practice turn 1, a lot.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Southpaugh posted:

Just started painting my masons, waiting for the primer to dry right now.

I played this for the first time a few days ago and it seems, very good. However, theres a tournament here on the 7th of December and I've registered for it already. So I'm going.

So, how was your first tournament? Did you have fun? I only saw your post after the date - my advice would have been to go in with the exception to get stomped and set yourself only small goals (don't end a single game 0-12, make a succesful goal run in one game, stuff like that).

I didn't win a single game until my third tournament, but it felt like every game, I got better - and the game feels less dependent on matchups than, say, Warmachine. Once you're into the game a bit more, the balance between guilds feels great in my opinion.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I just remembered this post.

The tournament was fine, I did get creamed. I was playing the Masons squad out of the 3rd season starter box. So off the top of my head. Honour, Harmoney, Mallet, Brick, Marbles and my beautiful boy Flint.

I also showed up sleep deprived and hungover, and considering that was the case I feel like I did quite well. But I played three matches, and I had a good showing I'm pretty sure I managed 6 points a match, before succumbing to some later turn gently caress up, like having all my dudes out of place on the wrong end of the pitch that sort of thing. I will say that Long Bomb can go gently caress itself, the last guy I played talked me through his blacksmiths for all the while and I really learned a lot. Like Long bomb, learned all about long bomb goddamnit.

It was good fun, and the games really deep and mechanically satisfying. Guild Ball is good. I can already see some of the feature creep coming in with the new teams and all that stuff, but hopefully they temper their releases.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Hi everyone, I've been following guild ball for a while now but finally jumped in and played an intro match with a friend of mine (we're both learning) on the weekend and I have a couple of questions for when we play again:

What's a good starting roster for teams? We played Masons (Honor, Harmony, Flint) vs. Brewers (Tapper, Spigot, Hooper). It seemed like the Brewers (played by my friend) didn't have much of an answer in terms of goal threat to Flint.

We're probably going to play a cut down game again, maybe going up to 4 players, who would you recommend we use? Even if that means changing to a different guild for one or both players. We picked Brewers vs Masons as that's the starter set teams and figured that would work best.

EDIT: Another question, do you discard game plan cards once you have played them, or do they come back into your hand?

hooman fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000
Glad to see you jumped in! First off, from the things you tell us I take it you're using the Kick Off! Box. Did you make sure to use the Season rules? If whoever kicked the ball down the pitch started the game with a momentum, you've been using the correct ruleset. Furthermore, many of the players in the box got their cards updated. You can use the App GBManager to have all the current cards. Updated cards, free rules and a short pamphlet on what changed from the Kick Off! Box can be found here: https://hub.guild-ball.com/

Right, with that out of the way - your starting rosters seem fine. In Guild Ball, sometimes there's not much you can do about getting a goal in, especially from someone like Flint. Brewers answer to that is usually to shrug and let one pass, then "hide the ball" (put it on someone who's hard to tackle off of, preferably in cover and somewhere off to the side) and demolish whoever was dumb enough to walk into their side of the pitch. Also, with more players on the pitch, it will get harder for Flint to find a good route to shoot his goal.

4 players next is a good idea. Maybe add friday to the Brewers so they also have some goal threat, and Brick as a tank to the masons. But honestly, don't worry too much about the teams and focus on getting a few more games in ;) I'd stick with the two teams for now, mainly because you have both seen them in action and kind of know what to expect from Tapper and Honour. The game is easier to learn if you don't switch around.

You discard Gameplan cards. In the rare cases where the game drags on, you pick them all up again after you went through your stack.