Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Gorefiend posted:

http://www.armadagames.com/

Based in Tampa, good stock and quick turnaround times. Met several people at the St. Louis open tournament during Warmachine Weekend who buy from Armada and they were satisfied with the store even with shipping to Seattle.

I'll keep them in mind. I also checked DiscountGames, and it looks like they have a stock of Guild Ball as well. I missed the winter bundles though, it seems :saddowns: Ah well, I have to wait a bit until my entertainment budget effectively replenishes, so that'll give me time to decide what I want to futz around with first. I like the looks of the Brewers and Morticians, both seem to have that sort of resilient feel I like in my gaming.

Feeple posted:

Where in MO are you? I'm a St. Louis guy, just curious if we know each other.

I'm currently in Columbia as a Mizzou grad student, actually, and originally from the Kansas (again, :saddowns:) side of the KC metro area, so probably not. I was at WMW and the recent Miniature Market Malifaux tournament at the beginning of December, but I didn't have a chance to really meet any goons at either...that I know of.

Is the St. Louis Guild Ball scene decently active for its current position in the wargaming market?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Gorefiend posted:

http://www.armadagames.com/

Based in Tampa, good stock and quick turnaround times. Met several people at the St. Louis open tournament during Warmachine Weekend who buy from Armada and they were satisfied with the store even with shipping to Seattle.

Armada was great for me as well. DiscountGamesInc and MuseOnStore also have a selection of Guild Ball as well, if something is out of stock elsewhere.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

dexefiend posted:

I am liking how my guys are turning out.

I need to figure what color i am going to paint Midas' hand.

I also need Katalyst to be worth fielding. He is just abject garbage. My friend tries to tell me that his job is just to be a roadblock, but i just don't see it. If he had 2" melee, countercharge, or a momentous KD ... maybe.

Who the gently caress cares about a 2 damage pulse?

I see him as a guy that causes Rabid Animal, and thats it.

Edit: Also, you are only going to get 2, maybe 3, swings off of him, and that influence would be better used on any other Midas, Vitriol, Hemlocke, Calculus, Compound or Mist. (I just want him to be more faction defining like some of the other fatties. I like Brick and Kraken a lot.)

Katalyst is an amazing model, a tough stat line with two good character plays let badly down by a listless playbook, I find he never has a big impact on the pitch. Even with the buffs he got, he is still usually the first one dropped.

If you want a beatdown model, Venin is better, if you want someone tough Compound brings more to the table and can happily hang back on 0-1 influence.

I tried a condition Alchemist team with Midas, Flask, Venin, Calculus, Katalyst and Mercury. Was lacklustre.

Next one I'm trying is Midas, Flask, Vitriol, Calculus, Hemlocke and Venin. Great at scoring, but also has some takeout options. Super striker version subs out Venin for Mist and rocks four players on 5 defense which gives people fits.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

My varnish frosted just a little, which i can fix. I have a ways to go, but i am feeling good for 2 hours in.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I had a great game last night. My Alchemists versus my friend's Fishermen.

I played Midas, Flask, Vitriol, Venin, Calculus, and Hemlocke. My plan was poison clouds, blinds, and Venin's heroic play. It worked pretty well, but my god i couldn't do any damage the old fashioned way.

I scored with Midas and Vitriol, and conditioned the otter and Siren to death.

For most of the game, Calculus, Hemlocke, and Venin were in a melee with blind Siren, blind Sakana, and blind Kraken. Blind is pretty good! I used the initiative twice to blind them all. I made way more blind rolls than i should have.

I ended up winning 12-4, which should have been 12-8, but my friend failed to take the ball from Hemlocke on three separate rolls.

Tl;dr: Alchemist player beats Fisherman player due to luck.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

gently caress Midas

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Hipster Occultist posted:

gently caress Midas

I've met the guy who backed the Kickstarter and had Midas designed to look like him. He shows up to tournaments dressed exactly as the model and its bizarre.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Have midas steal Release The... from Kraken, destroy their entire team over the next 3 rounds

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

PaintVagrant posted:

Have midas steal Release The... from Kraken, destroy their entire team over the next 3 rounds

Haha. I was going to do this, but i thought he was going to rely on speed and out maneuver me.

So, i grabbed Harpoon instead. I was going to use it to pull his models into my poison clouds. All i ended up using it to pull a Blinded Kraken out of a melee. He was using him to crowd out 3 of my guys.

Next time, i will give Release the Midas a try.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
We are having a tournament in the thriving metropolis of Bloomington, IL next Saturday.

http://forums.steamforged.com/index.php?/topic/15173-frosty-balls-tournament-bloomington-il-jan-16th/

If any of you guys want to come, make a post on Steamforged or PM me and i will let our pundit know.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Is there a list anywhere of retailers in the US actually carrying the models at this time? I've checked a couple places here in the Boston area with no luck. I know I could order online but I'd rather give a local place a shot first.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

head58 posted:

Is there a list anywhere of retailers in the US actually carrying the models at this time? I've checked a couple places here in the Boston area with no luck. I know I could order online but I'd rather give a local place a shot first.

Unless you're in Florida or Idaho, online is as local as you're gonna get, sadly.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

head58 posted:

According to a local guy, the Guild Ball people are running their own distribution or something, which means that retail is somewhat limited at this point, my local shop or Miniature Market wouldn't be able to get it. I think the few online dealers is gonna be your best bet.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

susan posted:

Unless you're in Florida or Idaho, online is as local as you're gonna get, sadly.

There's a store in NorCal (Vacaville) that just started carrying it too!

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Your lgs can direct order it, we just put in a big $1500 order.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

How do you Morticians players/people that have played against Morticians, find Casket?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

My pitch is coming together!

I am like 30 bucks in. Now the worst part... waiting for the goop to dry and see how it ends up.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
24 hours and some black Minwax Polyshades later:

The ground is almost dry. I should be able to make a lot of progress on it tomorrow. I'm trying to get it done for this weekend, even if it isn't needed for the tournament.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

I still need to add some art at the center of the field and mark the goal locations, but i like how it is looking.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

dexefiend posted:

I still need to add some art at the center of the field and mark the goal locations, but i like how it is looking.

I'd sponge some green/earth on those lines, they're a bit too clean. Looks great otherwise.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Looks really nice.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Looking good, will you flock it?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

ijyt posted:

Looking good, will you flock it?

Do you think that would help or hurt?

I have never flocked large terrain before, and i worry about messing it up.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I think it would look good, but people have various opinions on flock. If you have any spare material left maybe test it out on that first to see if you like the look.

ElephantCrave
Jan 28, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

How do you Morticians players/people that have played against Morticians, find Casket?
I prefer Ghast with his momentous knockdown on a 2 and a chance to unmask. That's the general consensus around this area anyway.

ElephantCrave fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 17, 2016

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

So one of the local Warmahordes players is trying to get Guild Ball going in our area, to the point where he is offering to buy the starter pack for anyone who promises to play in a 4 game league with him. Having been interested in this ever since seeing this thread posted, I jumped at the chance.

I picked Butcher's Guild, based 99% on "I like meat" and 1% on reading their description of playing style on the website. Are they newbie friendly at all, or did my hunger screw me to lost game after lost game?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Butchers are the full bore beatdown team, they focus on winning by 6 take outs or 4 takeouts and 1 goal.

Start with Ox, Princess, Boar, Shank, Brisket and Boiler. Other Butchers and Union are handy but that's an excellent starting team.

If your opponent gets to receive kick off with Boar and put him in prime position to do his 4 attacks for the low low cost of one influence.

Otherwise bring the ball with you up the middle and when the opponent commits to taking the ball, beat him down. Ox's aura and legendary play should be triggered when you have your guys positioned to take out 2 or 3 of your opponents models in 1 turn. Butchers can prosper from a scrum in the middle of the pitch

You'll build momentum fast so enjoy generally getting the first crucial action each turn so don't be afraid to heavily load someone with influence and have a big first activation. Momentum is also really handy for counter attacks which make up a big chunk of the metagame. Brisket is an excellent striker and a great finisher after you've taken out 4 people. Princess, Brisket and Boiler should generally move as a unit to maximise their synergy, Shank is your long range threat.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
I started with Fishermen played a few friendly games and lost a lot. Went to my first tourny and took Butchers and won two games. They are much more straight forward and more noob friendly I'd say

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

How did I completely overlook a GB thread right here in trad games? I guess that's what I get for always looking at bookmarked threads.

Serotonin posted:

I started with Fishermen played a few friendly games and lost a lot. Went to my first tourny and took Butchers and won two games. They are much more straight forward and more noob friendly I'd say

This. I picked up fishies on the KS, had a very rough time with their playstyle and got my arse handed to me every time. I picked up butchers last September, it's taken me until now to get them assembled and ready to play but I'm having much more fun with them than the fish, actually managing to win my first game with them this Saturday just gone :) (played to tournament rules, 45 mins each with clock outs - final score was 12-11... would have ended something like 12 - 8/9 had Shank not missed with a bonus timed goal kick :stare:)

Got a tournament at the end of the month so I'm frantically trying to get everyone painted up, I'm taking Ox, Princess, Boar, Brisket, Boiler, Shank, Meathook and Minx for my 8 to pick from.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

enri posted:

How did I completely overlook a GB thread right here in trad games? I guess that's what I get for always looking at bookmarked threads.

This. I picked up fishies on the KS, had a very rough time with their playstyle and got my arse handed to me every time. I picked up butchers last September, it's taken me until now to get them assembled and ready to play but I'm having much more fun with them than the fish, actually managing to win my first game with them this Saturday just gone :) (played to tournament rules, 45 mins each with clock outs - final score was 12-11... would have ended something like 12 - 8/9 had Shank not missed with a bonus timed goal kick :stare:)

Got a tournament at the end of the month so I'm frantically trying to get everyone painted up, I'm taking Ox, Princess, Boar, Brisket, Boiler, Shank, Meathook and Minx for my 8 to pick from.

How the hell did someone score 11 points? AFAIK, it's 2 points per takeout and 4 per goal, so 11 should be impossible.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
When you run out of time on your chess clock, you get 1 minute per model activations for the rest of the game. For each full minute you use, you give your opponent 1 point.

I.e. don't use the full minute! (Unless it is going to win the game. )

Also, don't give Blackheart 8 influence.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Played a pair of games over a lunch break using my Masons. First game was against Union and it was a slaughter, 3 of my opponent's players out by half-time with only Marbles down for the count on my side. Opponent conceeded after Harmony managed to smash two goals in in the space of under ten minutes.

Second game was against Engineers (with Rage) and was much closer. Chisel and Mallet spent their first two activations kicking seven shades of poo poo out of Rage while the rest of the team wrestled Ballista, Salvo and Colossus for control of the ball. Game truely came alive in the last ten minutes with Legendary Plays being popped and a everyone on their last legs. We were at a goal a piece and it looked like I would have won, had Chisel managed to get one more pip of damage in on a parting blow to take Ballista out and stop him from scoring the winning goal with a minute to spare.

I think Masons are my team of choice right now, though I'm still determined to make my Brewers work. Honour and Harmony are brutal in tandem, with their activation shenanigans scoring me the majority of my goals. Chisel is kinda hampered by the lack of a knock down, but man can she put some damage in when Crazy and past her damage threshold.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

CaptCommy posted:

How the hell did someone score 11 points? AFAIK, it's 2 points per takeout and 4 per goal, so 11 should be impossible.

Because we were playing by tournament rules, after you've run your 45 minute clock down, you get 1 minute activations:

dexefiend posted:

When you run out of time on your chess clock, you get 1 minute per model activations for the rest of the game. For each full minute you use, you give your opponent 1 point.

I.e. don't use the full minute! (Unless it is going to win the game. )

Also, don't give Blackheart 8 influence.

...but this is slightly wrong, your opponent gets 1VP regardless of whether you use the whole minute or not. You simply give them 1VP the moment you end your activation once you're into that clocked out stage.

quote:

Any player who is suffering the clocked-out condition uses the stopwatch timer and their activations and Maintenance Phase steps C, D & E are limited to 1 minute in length.

When a player, who is suffering the clocked-out condition, ends an activation their opponent is awarded 1 VP. This does not apply during the Maintenance Phase.

..which is handy to remember if you're taking a short activation, you've got a minute to play with so if you're only moving 1 guy, take your time before you hit the stopwatch to pass over to your opponent - you've got the rest of that minute to think about what you can do with the rest of your activations! No rush and all that :)

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood what I heard.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

dexefiend posted:

Thanks for the clarification. I misunderstood what I heard.

No worries, I had to re-read it a few times before it really clicked. It's a pain in the arse, I'm not a big fan of it and it gets very messy once you're both clocked out, the only positive is that it's guaranteed to not last too long :)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Finally got in two games with actual models, really fun game, glad I bought the giant mousemat.

We were only playing Starter games but I was impressed with my friends Mason combos. First time I got to try my Brewers, and all I could think was "I wish this was a 6 player game so I could get these combos". Having said that, really tanky and fun. The Masons had an early lead against my Brewers but mid late game it started turning around as my friend started losing models. We finished that early so we could do a game with everyone involved, 1 model per person.

That was really fun, if slightly slower to play because of all the team huddles, Masons vs Fisherman. I was pretty worried that the Fisherman might get trounced by the Masons but those fish are just so drat slippery. Conceded only one goal and won with a hat-trick. Good combo of Angel being kept far away from the action and abusing Super Shot won the game, but the best play was Shark casually jogging in to the middle of all three Masons, skirting melee zones, dodging out and then scoring an easy 6" goal.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Got my models in, but waiting to get my airbrush back from repairs before I start some serious painting. I did paint this ball though.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

There's been a bit of an upsurge of interest in this game around my area at the moment, and I thought that since it's a fairly low investment to get started, I might give it a go. I've read the rules and checked out all the factions and have singled my choices down to the Butchers and the Morticians.

I kinda like playing a good beat down strat, but wouldn't mind the chance to play for goals either. It sounds like the Butchers are a bit all in on the beat down, but I was unsure if the Morticians were flexible enough to play both (at least to some degree). It's harder to lock down how the Morticians will play because they don't seem to be as straight forward. Does anyone here have any Mortician experience?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Hortism posted:

There's been a bit of an upsurge of interest in this game around my area at the moment, and I thought that since it's a fairly low investment to get started, I might give it a go. I've read the rules and checked out all the factions and have singled my choices down to the Butchers and the Morticians.

I kinda like playing a good beat down strat, but wouldn't mind the chance to play for goals either. It sounds like the Butchers are a bit all in on the beat down, but I was unsure if the Morticians were flexible enough to play both (at least to some degree). It's harder to lock down how the Morticians will play because they don't seem to be as straight forward. Does anyone here have any Mortician experience?

Same situation here. One guy in our meta bought in pretty big and really peaked a lot of our interests. I recently bought a team after trying most out, and while I've only done maybe 4 or 5 games, I don't think teams are as straight forward as some think. Ya Butchers fight well, but even their strikers are only down maybe 1/1 or 1/2 on kick, compared to the big ones like Friday/Velocity. Brisket is a pretty legit kicker for Butchers.

Try out print-outs for a few games if you can, teams play a lot different than how I thought they would when first looking at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Hortism posted:

Moricians can definitely bring the pain and score at the same time. They kind of have a playstyle all their own, with lots of control and manipulation abilities on top of just some massive beatdown talents. If they appeal to you thematically, they will deliver on the table.