Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Rhyno posted:

You're ruining all my conceptions of CANADA.

Canada is pretty rad for the most part (if you can handle the loving winters), it's just that if it weren't for the fact that they ruin people's lives with it, the RCMP is so comically corrupt and inept that you'd think they were part of a bad movie or something. This makes it all the more ironic that when many people around the world think of Canada, a Mountie in red serge is one of the first images that comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

BigPaddy posted:

If I am reading that right the Audi driver has paralyzed one of their passengers as well as almost killing you and your boys? Getting to the destination a minute sooner doesn't look like such a good deal to them now I expect.

This is exactly why I'm a huge pussy about passing on any backroad, my brain cares much more about the cost side of the equation than the benefit, which is usually nil anyway because traffic lights exist.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrChips posted:

Canada is pretty rad for the most part (if you can handle the loving winters), it's just that if it weren't for the fact that they ruin people's lives with it, the RCMP is so comically corrupt and inept that you'd think they were part of a bad movie or something. This makes it all the more ironic that when many people around the world think of Canada, a Mountie in red serge is one of the first images that comes to mind.
And I expect said mounties to act like Benton Fraser.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I walked out to my car last night and there were two notes on it asking if I was interested in selling it; I'm gonna call the dude and let him down because, well, I'm not selling my RX4, but it absolutely made my night.

Its the Mazda's first "are you going to sell this car" note! A milestone!

I mean, its sitting in my apartment complex's lot in a non-running state, but I'm still not gonna sell it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

fjelltorsk posted:

Talked to the dealer earlier, told them to start looking for earlier options. Turns out there is a p85d on its way to Norway with an owner trying to back out. Wrong colour and still that freaking spoiler. Told him ill talk to the insurance people and get back to him. Might there still be hope for the family Road trip still? The car in question arrives in another part of Norway (Drammen) friday

Glad to hear you all got out of that crash in your respective singular pieces, with relatively minor injuries.

In your situation, I would definitely go for another P85D. If not that particular one, then get something like a new(er) Volvo or some other car that gets 5 NCAP stars with commendations, and drive that until you can get a new P85D. Luckily 5-star cars are common these days, but the Model S really is in a class of its own, safety-wise.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

drat, fjelltorsk, you're seriously saying "gently caress you" to death. Glad things ended up as they did.

Have you thought about contacting Tesla corporate directly? or have they contacted you? You've got to be on the first page of major real-life wrecks in one... it may be something they'd be interested in.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Glad you're alright Fjelltorsk :)

So, when engineering fucks up and draws a part wrong, it's manufactured wrong, but welded on right, the guy doing the welding is responsible? Some penis butt here tried to throw me under the bus for parts not working because the OD is too big. I didn't machine the part, I just welded it, perfectly. Why the gently caress did someone think I hosed this up when I had no part in designing it and did exactly as I was instructed? What the gently caress is wrong with these people?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BloodBag posted:

So, when engineering fucks up and draws a part wrong, it's manufactured wrong, but welded on right, the guy doing the welding is responsible? Some penis butt here tried to throw me under the bus for parts not working because the OD is too big. I didn't machine the part, I just welded it, perfectly. Why the gently caress did someone think I hosed this up when I had no part in designing it and did exactly as I was instructed? What the gently caress is wrong with these people?
Engineering and whoever overchecked the finished part, assuming they had access to higher-level information on what it should be rather than just the same drawing(s) the manufacturing guy worked to.

However, if there was a first-off or in-process check that would have caught it being wrong, and you didn't do it/catch it before proceeding with the rest of the batch, then that person shares responsibility (assuming there is some kind of production run going on, as opposed to a one-off).

The drawing the machinist worked to should have been overchecked before being given to them, too.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

BloodBag posted:

You touched it last so it's obviously your fault. Also, you should be QCing every part you weld. Also, you should have all the dimensions memorized in order to do said QCing.

Also, people are dicks.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BloodBag posted:

Because the guy who designed it went to college for four years and as an engineer is a god among men and you're just a dumbass skilled laborer, obviously.

Joking aside, I remember years ago on one of the Focus-specific forums there was someone who was either an intern or junior engineer at Chrysler complaining about how inept the UAW employees were. Because whatever generation Town and Country he was talking about had been designed with the exhaust and rear HVAC ducting occupying the same physical space (which wasn't caught until the design was approved and sent to the plant for production), and apparently he thought it was a rational expectation for the assembly line workers to either perform a miracle and assemble the van as planned, or else make on-the-fly repairs that would in no way impact assembly time.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BloodBag posted:

What the guys before me already posted can be summed up in one sentence.

poo poo rolls downhill.

Congratulations for being down-slope.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
So our new SNAPON dealer comes in today with his district manager or whatever to introduce himself. Now the old guy was cool but people dindt pay their poo poo except for our shop so he was always cool with us. New guy comes in all like so 100 bucks a week sound good to yall or you can apply for our credit program.
gently caress you sir! And gently caress snap on credit with their 23 percent or whatever I wouldnt qualify for anyway, and B its not my loving fault you decided to get into the business by buying up all the old dudes debt. Im like look man your getting 20 bucks a week from me and thats it unless I got more to pay you.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

VAG robot draws first blood.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/d18c4801a5324926a1845690148b664a/robot-kills-man-volkswagen-plant-germany

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Seems like running a snap on tool truck would be more debt collection than actually selling tools.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
drat fjelltorsk, I'm glad you and your kids are mostly ok. RIP little Tesla.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I don't know who you pissed off in a previous life but drat DUDE. I am so glad you guys are all okay.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Ich habe ihn nicht ermorden!
/

Also holy poo poo fjelltorsk I just skimmed your post before but now I sat down and read it in detail...wow, that's an ordeal, for sure. I know you must feel absolutely awful that one of your kids was hurt in the accident, but the way I see it (and the way you should see it too) is that you did pretty much everything right, and were it not for your prompt and decisive actions, things likely would have turned out a lot worse.

Just remember that if you feel the need to talk it over, Dr. AI's office hours are 24/7.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

Rhyno posted:

I don't know who you pissed off in a previous life but drat DUDE. I am so glad you guys are all okay.

Too right mate, i am starting to fear i might have been a small austrian fellow with a panache for small moustaches and gas chambers.

Thanks for all of the support, the plan is starting to pan out. if i cannot grab a P85D in the next week or so i will grab a used volvo v70, use my brothers shop to do any work necessary and try to flip it once my D comes.

to clear up, we where driving on a road where overtaking is legal, except when in no pass zones. this bend is a no pass zone and it is marked as a hazardous corner with a 30km/h suggested speed (very common sign in Norway, sharp turn with suggested 30) The dude driving the Audi had his license revoked nearly on the spot. but as his friend was paralized and airlifted and they both had to be cut out of the car. (rolled roof, fast extract with two trucks pulling for those playing armchair firefighters) i guess they waited untill on the hospital. the driver of the semi gave a statement to the police that probably carried more weight than mine sine i was in full "he nearly killed my kids" mode when first interviewed by the cops.

Regarding talking to tesla, i have actually filled out a form and made a statement that they requested. I was really impressed with the way the cabin held up from the crash. i dont have any pictures atm but i will try to grab some when i get to empty my car at the lot. the footwell stayed nearly true to shape and my feet are only bruised lightly. My face is kinda messed up from debris and airbag deployment and i can feel every fiber of my chest from the belt tensioner. I was probably able to reduce the kinetic energy somewhat buy putting my car in the barrier on the left. unfortunately this made for a pretty solid overlap on the fronts. probably should have stood my ground. The thing that impressed me the most was that all four doors on the tesla opened, and two of them acutally closed and locked.

and for those wondering, pollen allergies and a shattered nose is a killer combo

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

And I expect said mounties to act like Benton Fraser.

Benton Fraser was exiled from Canada after investigating corruption in the RCMP. His father was murdered by the RCMP, too.
But, I expect that too.

Stay safe friends. I don't like reading about bad stuff happening. Especially with kids. I can't find the hug smiley so imagine it here.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

fjelltorsk posted:

Me and the twin boys was in a fairly brutal car accident a little week ago...
drat dude. lovely it happened but it sounds like the Tesla held up pretty good.

Preoptopus posted:

So our new SNAPON dealer comes in today with his district manager or whatever to introduce himself. Now the old guy was cool but people dindt pay their poo poo except for our shop so he was always cool with us. New guy comes in all like so 100 bucks a week sound good to yall or you can apply for our credit program.
gently caress you sir! And gently caress snap on credit with their 23 percent or whatever I wouldnt qualify for anyway, and B its not my loving fault you decided to get into the business by buying up all the old dudes debt. Im like look man your getting 20 bucks a week from me and thats it unless I got more to pay you.
You're not in Raleigh NC by chance are you? Coworkers son just bought a Snap-On truck and started doing runs last week I think.

Brother and his wife fly out early tomorrow morning. As soon as I get home from work tomorrow it's start cleaning and toss all their poo poo into the bedroom. Not sure if I'm still having a bunch of people over for the 4th to blow poo poo up but while they're out of the house and can't bitch I'm moving their mountain of poo poo.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Skynet's beginning is more subtle than anticipated.

fjelltorsk posted:

The dude driving the Audi had his license revoked nearly on the spot.

Over here in 'Merica they would have issued him a citation for making an illegal pass, given him a few points on his license and said "Try not to attempt to kill anyone else on the road on your drive home".

Glad to hear how well the car held up for you and protected both you and the kids, and good to see you making plans to get back into another one. Wish I could afford one, they are amazing cars.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Send the robot to robot jail.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Phone posted:

Send the robot to robot jail.

It's going to spend it's life in a VW factory, isn't that punishment enough?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

You touched it last so it's obviously your fault. Also, you should be QCing every part you weld. Also, you should have all the dimensions memorized in order to do said QCing.

Also, people are dicks.

I'm an inspector too, and the parts were to print :v: The part looks like a huge metal twizzler and the head had an API box that we sawed off, lathe guys turned down the part at the end with a boss, and we made new heads to weld on. everything was to print. Every head slid right on, every head checked with a depth micrometer, calipers, every mating part checked the same. The print was wrong because the engineer didn't get his numbers right. He also neglected to tell all of us that the customer wanted the first piece delivered and then a phone call made so their engineers could check it before continuing production. That call was never made, and we shipped 19 parts, hosed to hell, because the engineer didn't do his job right.

I would like to add that I wasn't the last person to touch the parts. The parts were run on a weiler (manual lathe), tig welded, and then deburred. I also program and operate CMMs, I'm not just a floor grunt. I have a degree on the level(BS:CS VS BS:ME) with the engineer that did this poo poo, but I'm the one getting lovely looks from the shop office staff. The only thing I can't do that he can is make solidworks do what I want as quickly.

E: that sounds arrogant, I'm sorry. I just mean that this kind of poo poo has been happening over and over from this same engy, and after 3 rounds of layoffs, he's still here, and some really talented machinists are gone

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 2, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

The Locator posted:

It's going to spend it's life in a VW factory, isn't that punishment enough?

I forget what the hierarchy looks like; what's worse VAG or FCA?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
fjelltorsk is either a cat or has horcruxes. How the Tesla held up is amazing story

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CharlesM posted:

Benton Fraser was exiled from Canada after investigating corruption in the RCMP. His father was murdered by the RCMP, too.
But, I expect that too.
Everything I know about Canada is based on Due South and Arrogant Worms songs.

BloodBag posted:

I'm the one getting lovely looks from the shop office staff.
If they're giving you lovely looks, they aren't intelligent enough to understand the situation. Ignore the monkeys and wait for an organ grinder to start poo poo, then have the argument with them.

This kind of thing annoys me, because I'm very careful not to start chucking blame around unless I'm completely certain and can back it up. I also do not react well to people pushing blame in my direction incorrectly, and defend my self and others fairly aggressively.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

bennyfactor posted:

Dude you need to get an account with a bank or credit union that has a mobile app with remote check capture. I'm sure there's plenty of decent small banks/CUs in DFW that have this and aren't assholes like Wells Fargo. The company I work for has some credit union clients in DFW and, while we don't currently do any of their mobile banking apps, this one and this one do have appear to have mobile deposit. Even if neither of these CUs have branches near where you live/work, after you join you can do whatever you need a branch for at any other credit union that has a sign for CO-OP Shared Branching, or CU Service Centers or however it's currently branded.

I do have a credit union with remote check capture. The problem is, they only make $200 available immediately if you make a deposit via any other means than handing it to a teller or by direct deposit - whether it be via ATM, mobile deposit, etc. My employer doesn't do direct deposit.

ITCU is nearby (the closest branch shares a parking lot with my current credit union actually - Texans), but I left them due to member service issues. I don't qualify for membership with City (I don't live in a county that they serve). I really don't have any complaints with Texans, aside from their online banking being a little laggy in terms of showing transactions where I ran my debit card as credit. That and the >$200 hold. That hold also applies to cash deposits at an ATM, and my stepdad has noticed the same thing with them, so it's not just me.

I would have just waited to take it in today and deposit it in person, but I had to make a payment on my medical insurance by 11:59 PM last night.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Darchangel posted:

Is that the one over in north Fort Worth, across the road from a dude ranch?

Nope. This is a bit south of 635, in Dallas, close to Farmer's Branch.

fjelltorsk posted:

to clear up, we where driving on a road where overtaking is legal, except when in no pass zones. this bend is a no pass zone and it is marked as a hazardous corner with a 30km/h suggested speed (very common sign in Norway, sharp turn with suggested 30) The dude driving the Audi had his license revoked nearly on the spot. but as his friend was paralized and airlifted and they both had to be cut out of the car. (rolled roof, fast extract with two trucks pulling for those playing armchair firefighters) i guess they waited untill on the hospital. the driver of the semi gave a statement to the police that probably carried more weight than mine sine i was in full "he nearly killed my kids" mode when first interviewed by the cops.

Regarding talking to tesla, i have actually filled out a form and made a statement that they requested. I was really impressed with the way the cabin held up from the crash. i dont have any pictures atm but i will try to grab some when i get to empty my car at the lot. the footwell stayed nearly true to shape and my feet are only bruised lightly. My face is kinda messed up from debris and airbag deployment and i can feel every fiber of my chest from the belt tensioner. I was probably able to reduce the kinetic energy somewhat buy putting my car in the barrier on the left. unfortunately this made for a pretty solid overlap on the fronts. probably should have stood my ground. The thing that impressed me the most was that all four doors on the tesla opened, and two of them acutally closed and locked.

Glad to hear you and the kids walked away from that with just some broken bones. That's about the best outcome you can possibly get from a head on accident... as the driver/passenger of the Audi learned.

Look at it this way, if you had stood your ground and not tried to swerve, you may have been spun into the truck (if you were, then possibly a lot harder).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

fjelltorsk posted:

unfortunately this made for a pretty solid overlap on the fronts.

Meaning you had a large offset between the two cars, or you hit pretty much centerline-on-centerline? Seems like the latter would be better since you have the whole front end of your car acting as a crumple zone, not just part of it, and the offset front impact test (where the hit is all on one corner of the car) shreds most otherwise-safe cars designed before it was implemented.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

Everything I know about Canada is based on Due South and Arrogant Worms songs.

I like that show and the character kind of reminds me of Dale Cooper from Twin Peaks, in that they're both very knowledgeable and professional federal police officers. Maybe he'll be in the 2016 Twin Peaks... ? :P

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

BloodBag posted:

E: that sounds arrogant, I'm sorry. I just mean that this kind of poo poo has been happening over and over from this same engy, and after 3 rounds of layoffs, he's still here, and some really talented machinists are gone

I deal with nit wits all the time. Especially when you find a move to make that could save time on cars getting to their destination a day early, only to have them tell you no way. Its some VP's big choice to make cars go an extra 80 miles in the other direction because its his plan and he's throwing a tantrum because he doesn't want people to go against it.

I swear this place makes money by accident. There's no other way.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

n/m.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 2, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

fjelltorsk posted:

Too right mate, i am starting to fear i might have been a small austrian fellow with a panache for small moustaches and gas chambers.

Thanks for all of the support, the plan is starting to pan out. if i cannot grab a P85D in the next week or so i will grab a used volvo v70, use my brothers shop to do any work necessary and try to flip it once my D comes.

and for those wondering, pollen allergies and a shattered nose is a killer combo

IOwnCalculus posted:

Meaning you had a large offset between the two cars, or you hit pretty much centerline-on-centerline? Seems like the latter would be better since you have the whole front end of your car acting as a crumple zone, not just part of it, and the offset front impact test (where the hit is all on one corner of the car) shreds most otherwise-safe cars designed before it was implemented.

This guy is right. You want a glancing blow/sideswipe OR a full overlap head on collision, you do NOT want a low-overlap collision. That and 30 degree angle impact are real hard to design for. Physics also says that a low overlap collision is going to spin the vehicles more, which would have ended poorly.

Absolute worst case is driver front corner into driver front corner, as this puts all the collision energy into the crash structures in front of the drivers, which means they collapse further and there is much more of a chance of cabin intrusion and serious injuries. If you must hit head on, you really want to share the load equally between both front crash rails and the crumple beams and structure, more cross section and the same kinetic energy being disposed of means less of the structure will crumple and the acceleration pulse at the passenger compartment will be less severe.

That is not to say you should try to turn every accident into a head on collision, you should always aim for the biggest open spot, but (as long as your passenger seat is not occupied) try to keep the collision on the passenger side or head on as much as possible if you absolutely cannot avoid a head on or partial overlap collision.

Either way, glad to hear you and your family survived and will recover. Terrible luck you've been having recently.

TRANS AM 20000
Apr 17, 2010

Time to punch it!

I finally got my paperwork for my new job in Oregon all arranged, and after driving for about 3 and a half hours and covering some 260 miles, my GDCS blew out on the highway. A 620 dollar tow later and I'm back where I started, now minus one working car. July is not shaping up well for me. :(

Those of you on SnapCatte probably saw my sad story.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

General Wiggles posted:

I finally got my paperwork for my new job in Oregon all arranged, and after driving for about 3 and a half hours and covering some 260 miles, my GDCS blew out on the highway. A 620 dollar tow later and I'm back where I started, now minus one working car. July is not shaping up well for me. :(

Those of you on SnapCatte probably saw my sad story.

I have no idea what GDCS stands for, but bummer. That's a hell of a tow bill.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
GDCS = GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM. Its a BMW thing.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

I do have a credit union with remote check capture. The problem is, they only make $200 available immediately if you make a deposit via any other means than handing it to a teller or by direct deposit - whether it be via ATM, mobile deposit, etc. My employer doesn't do direct deposit.

ITCU is nearby (the closest branch shares a parking lot with my current credit union actually - Texans), but I left them due to member service issues. I don't qualify for membership with City (I don't live in a county that they serve). I really don't have any complaints with Texans, aside from their online banking being a little laggy in terms of showing transactions where I ran my debit card as credit. That and the >$200 hold. That hold also applies to cash deposits at an ATM, and my stepdad has noticed the same thing with them, so it's not just me.

I would have just waited to take it in today and deposit it in person, but I had to make a payment on my medical insurance by 11:59 PM last night.

Well, it's good to hear that you do have RDC, at least, even with that sucky $200 limit. Since it affects ATM deposits its probably something imposed by your credit union's ACH partner / correspondent service, which is like a credit union for smaller credit unions who don't want to, or aren't big enough to be able to, handle all the inter-bank stuff.

Phone posted:

I forget what the hierarchy looks like; what's worse VAG or FCA?

It should be, without possibility of reprieve or parole, taken from its place to the dilithium mines on the penal asteroid of Rura Penthe the FAW-VW factories in China's Automobile City of Changchun.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

meatpimp posted:

drat, fjelltorsk, you're seriously saying "gently caress you" to death. Glad things ended up as they did.

Have you thought about contacting Tesla corporate directly? or have they contacted you? You've got to be on the first page of major real-life wrecks in one... it may be something they'd be interested in.

IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!

Seriously I have a feeling they would probably buy the wreck off you so they could get forensic with it, also you could also let them know what happened on their facebook so the engineers could at least get their "gently caress yeah" moment knowing a car they made saved you and your son's life.

You might even jump the queue and get the colour and sec you were after.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

bennyfactor posted:

Well, it's good to hear that you do have RDC, at least, even with that sucky $200 limit. Since it affects ATM deposits its probably something imposed by your credit union's ACH partner / correspondent service, which is like a credit union for smaller credit unions who don't want to, or aren't big enough to be able to, handle all the inter-bank stuff.

I also have a USAA account, but they won't let me use RDC. They claim it's because of "hundreds of overdrafts in the past two years"... when I can count overdrafts on one hand (one is too many, but if I'd had "hundreds of overdrafts", wouldn't I have been dinged for more than 3 NSF fees? Their statements are incredibly terse and don't show running balances anyway). Seriously starting to hate USAA at this point, the only thing I really like about them at this point is if you run a debit card as credit at a gas pump, the final amount still shows up within 5 minutes.

And yeah, it's probably something above the credit union. Texans is one of the older CUs in North Texas (they date back to 1953), but they came very close to bankruptcy several years ago, got taken over by NCUA, and returned to local control a few years ago. NCUA has also sued the former CEO of Texans CU for poo poo dating back to well over 10 years ago. Texans is actually pretty average sized in terms of local credit unions; a big part of my decision of going with them is they have those ATMs that accept cash/check deposits directly, instead of needing every deposit to be hand-approved. AFAIK they're the only credit union in my immediate area (there's 3 CUs in my immediate area that are local) that has those ATMs.

I try to stick with credit unions in general. My favorite to date has been DATCU (Denton Area Teachers Credit Union); I'm still eligible in two ways - I'm a former member, and I "worship" in Denton county - but the closest branch is 30 min away, and their ATMs don't have the money gobblers at the ATM. Their online banking beats the poo poo out of anything I've ever used at any bank/CU, even USAA (which beats the poo poo out of Chase).

Since you seen familiar with CUs. the ones I've used since I've moved here have been Community Credit Union (which changed to a for-profit bank about 13 years ago, and was bought out by Legacy Bank Texas last month), DTCU (Dallas Teachers Credit Union, then changed to Credit Union of Texas, and their online banking is straight from 1996), DATCU (Denton Area Teachers CU, now public), ITCU (InTouch Credit Union, which you suggested), and now Texans CU.

I'm actually really, really tempted to go back to DATCU. I don't live or work in Denton county anymore, but my church is in Denton Co (which qualifies me for membership, even if I wasn't a former member), and they have a branch 30 min from home. I plan to move back up there in the near future anyway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 2, 2015

• Locked thread