Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamnit. Figured this would happen. New modem can barely keep sync, and it will only sync if I use one specific splitter. There's over 75 feet of RG56 in the attic that I've been meaning to replace for ages. I have 100 ft of RG6 and a crimper, looks like I get to crawl around in the attic tomorrow night.

Finally got the new battery for my phone. Managed to break a clip on the back cover, then crack it trying to snap it back into place. :argh: At least all the antennas + vibrator motor are making contact as long as I keep my case on it. Still ordered a new back cover for it (all of :20bux: ). We'll see if I actually get a decent increase in battery life, but the date code on the original battery was 10/31/2013 - so I got a good run from the last one. Surprised no bats flew out with that mfg date. Not the hardest battery to replace, but the back cover has the wifi, bluetooth, and GPS antennas built in, along with the vibrator motor and inductive charger, so it's extra fragile.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Windows 10 is pretty drat good. I cant remember a version of Windows being this smooth to upgrade to, just works and is better than the beta version.

Also a noticable speed increase too.Yeesh and even the new browser is a big improvement

I tried to force my laptop to upgrade last night. Managed to get it to download, but then Windows Update said "There was a problem"... and wouldn't tell me what the problem was. :sigh:

Guess I'll just wait for it to officially roll out to my account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's on!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Cant say the new office with gigabit fibre internet is a disappointment. 1Gb/1Gb would do that I guess :D

Going from ADSL to basically LAN speed is making working on the DC so much nicer. I just went gently caress it and P2V'ed my desktop to the VM cluster across the connection for poo poo and giggles.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Anyone else waiting a little longer for Windows 10? I'm waiting for everything to get smoothed out.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'm probably going to ride Windows 7 for as long as I can get away with it, that is probably until a build a new rig next year.

I like aero, don't judge. :colbert:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

mariooncrack posted:

Anyone else waiting a little longer for Windows 10? I'm waiting for everything to get smoothed out.

I don't have a choice in the matter, apparently. The app keeps telling me that I'm eligible for upgrade and that's it...no option to download or anything.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Previa_fun posted:

I'm probably going to ride Windows 7 for as long as I can get away with it, that is probably until a build a new rig next year.

I like aero, don't judge. :colbert:

Same. Windows 7 is the best Windows since Windows 2000.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Windows 7 is great but I want Cortana cause I'm a big nerd. Hopefully the smart people get it to work on older versions cause I don't really feel like upgrading

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Windows 10 has aero.

e: holy gently caress images

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 31, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

MrChips posted:

I don't have a choice in the matter, apparently. The app keeps telling me that I'm eligible for upgrade and that's it...no option to download or anything.

MS is rolling it out in phases, starting from this week until September, I believe.

Would YOU want your data centers being hammered by potentially billions of people downloading Windows 10 all at the same time? I think that would bring even Google to its knees.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Just spent 14 hours wrenching on shitboxes. My truck got a new radiator which was fairly easy and its now running at a good steady 190ish. Took like 2-2.5 hours including loving around and taking a break for a beer tasting. Then we starting the timing belt on my buddy's eclipse. Took us ~6 hours to tear it down, swap everything including the water pump, take a parts store run (where we got another parts store to price match my employee discount) and put it all back together. We crank it over and hear a horrible rubbing sound. The timing belt is walking back and forth on the cam pulley and rubbing on the cover. So we tear the thing apart again and find out that we had the timing belt tensioner hand tight and it had gone as loose as possible :downs:. Fixed the fuckup, got it tighter than a nun's butthole, then started throwing everything back together. And when we got to the serpentine belt, the nut on the tensioner started to round off, so we wound up prying on it with a chisel since "gently caress IT THIS THING IS GOING ON WE'RE FINISHING THIS TONGIHT NO loving QUITING" was the prevailing mood. Cue the tensioner snapping due to us prying on it like the idiots we are and everyone breathing a sigh of relief because we could finally stop working for the night. Now I get to wake up at 8am and start calling around to get the tensioner in town before we can start working on it again and doing it the right way.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

mariooncrack posted:

My desktop has had 10 since I built it in November.
My laptop (primary machine) will get it within a week when I get the time to run the update.
Work machines won't it until Nov/Dec when we roll it out to our users.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

mariooncrack posted:

I've never been an early adopter of OS's. I'll wait until all the kinks get worked out and there is an actual reason for me to get rid of Win7 64 bit that works perfectly fine. I always expect issues with Windows until about the first service patch rolls out.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I fixed the ticket date, phew. But you get the idea

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It's really depressing to get a good interview and then see that same job reposted online 3 days later. :smith:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Hmm finished up Parks and Recreation last night, now what series to watch, recommendations? Have netflix and amazon prime, think there's hulu and vudu on the xbox.

Have you ever watched Terriers? If not give one episode a shot. It was a lighthearted detective/mystery series that got canned halfway through season 1, so they wrote the story to wrap up in one season. Pretty fun show with some unique characters and not a big commitment with only 13 episodes. It's not even available on DVD so I recommend it any time someone asks.

stump posted:

Speaking of driving in the US, what's the tolerance like on speed limits like in Nevada and California? In the UK you can typically cruise at an indicated 10 over outside of urban areas without any bother from the fuzz, and sticking below about 20 over the consequences of getting caught aren't too harsh.

Not that I'm intending to break the law in your fine country, I don't want to gently caress myself over just keeping up with traffic :cop:

I got a ticket for 11 over once, and while I was asking the cop to cut me some slack he said "We have a saying in law enforcement: 9 you're fine, 10 you're mine."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Buyin a bus

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jul 31, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

piss boner posted:

Blow dryer chat: those of you that have testicles, why don't you blow them dry? Nothing like a fresh set of dry nuts to start off the day.

I own a hairdryer because I have a beard and airdrying it just feels wrong. I also use it to dry myself because who doesn't want to be dry in like 30 seconds flat?

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
If you're not standing in front of a fan near a window blowing cool morning breeze onto your junk you're doing it wrong.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I live in England, this is the only warmth I get. This summer so far has been mostly cold and wet. :/

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

88h88 posted:

I live in England, this is the only warmth I get. This summer so far has been mostly cold and wet. :/

It was hotter a couple of months back.

Honk honk coming through!
I'm impressed the limo doesn't just fold and wrap around the train.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Got looked at by the doc and got some x-rays. No hip fracture thank goodness. Bruised bursa that was swelling and pressing on nerves. They gave me a steroid shot and I feel loving fantastic. Can I have steroids every day please?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

BloodBag posted:

Got looked at by the doc and got some x-rays. No hip fracture thank goodness. Bruised bursa that was swelling and pressing on nerves. They gave me a steroid shot and I feel loving fantastic. Can I have steroids every day please?

You can if you go speak to the man at the gym who looks like this:

Glad you're not broken, fella.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

some texas redneck posted:

MS is rolling it out in phases, starting from this week until September, I believe.

Would YOU want your data centers being hammered by potentially billions of people downloading Windows 10 all at the same time? I think that would bring even Google to its knees.

Well that's so glaringly obvious it stands to reason why it never occurred to me :downs:

Oddly enough, I got the go-ahead to upgrade overnight. It's like they heard me whining!

Wait a sec...:tinfoil:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Geirskogul posted:

Buyin a bus

That isn't a bus that is a plane ticket what are you doing this is all going wrong already

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

MrChips posted:

Well that's so glaringly obvious it stands to reason why it never occurred to me :downs:

Oddly enough, I got the go-ahead to upgrade overnight. It's like they heard me whining!

Wait a sec...:tinfoil:
Distributing win10 took like 6-10% of total Internet traffic the last couple days...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

some texas redneck posted:

Microsoft know a thing or two more about distribution of network traffic than Google - plus W10 has some rather nifty features thta distribute load much like a torrent client - basically your PC will look for the closest W10 source on your local LAN first, then search wider (you can turn this off) - a lot of the traffic isnt even touching the Akamai hosts, so for instance my laptop grabbed W10 from a source at a local ISP at an extremely fast rate. I'd be surprised after the first few donloads started wether much traffic even touched Redmond at all. Right now you are looking at tens of millions of PC's are now forming the backbone of the distribution and update cloud, it's all really neat.

As well there's also Microsoft version of apt-get (OneGet) that is also tuning traffic flows.

quote:

Distributing win10 took like 6-10% of total Internet traffic the last couple days...

I was going to guess a bit higher. But whatever the true figure was, the release has been very well executed.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I might have to toss Win 10 on my unused media PC or the sim rig this weekend and play around with it a bit. Work laptop won't get the update pushed to it until IT has had time to really dig through it and make sure it's up to their standards or whatever.

Now my old work laptop...maybe I'll dual boot that Win 10 and Linux.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

NitroSpazzz posted:

I might have to toss Win 10 on my unused media PC or the sim rig this weekend and play around with it a bit. Work laptop won't get the update pushed to it until IT has had time to really dig through it and make sure it's up to their standards or whatever.

Current thoughts (coming from 7)

Nice. Better than 8/8.1 were (UI wise), runs really quickly. I've only got it on my old beater dual-core AMD 2gb of ram piece of poo poo, and it runs significantly faster than 7 did on it. I'm liking it so far.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm trying to get a new place to rent. One with a garage I can do stuff in.

There are lots of places available that I like and can easily afford to pay for. Several of these places have just gone before I got a chance to look at them which is annoying but fine, others are being renovated and I can't get in to see them and they can't provide me with a floorplan to see how big everything is so I can just decide anyway. Others apparently I need to view in person before applying despite the particular estate agent offering a billion detailed photos of every single part of the house.

...and yet these estate agents want silly amounts of cash in 'admin fees' when you apply for just typing your name in a database and phoning up a place to get a credit check on you.

Why is anyone associated with the sale or rent of housing so utterly incapable of doing anything to actually help out? I'm here, I have a stack of cash waiting to be given to the landlord so why is this so loving hard??

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Great Beer posted:

It's really depressing to get a good interview and then see that same job reposted online 3 days later. :smith:

It's also really depressing to have five interviews in a single week for a position you really want, then not hear anything for four weeks, then get told by the manager you'd be working for that he now reports to the VP of Finance who wants someone with a financial background in the role instead because that's his wheelhouse and even though I was his own personal pick I'm out of luck because gently caress that stupid greasy rear end lispy piece of poo poo VP.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Elmnt80 posted:

"gently caress IT THIS THING IS GOING ON WE'RE FINISHING THIS TONGIHT NO loving QUITING"
I love it when that kicks in :clint:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just got fired. Think I am all done with the union. Start my new job next week.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sucks man

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

At least you just paid for the car for this month.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Just went poop. Think I am all done with the wiping. Start my new movement next week.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Come to Fart Pipe's place tonight, I want to see the new car

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

88h88 posted:

I'm trying to get a new place to rent. One with a garage I can do stuff in.

There are lots of places available that I like and can easily afford to pay for. Several of these places have just gone before I got a chance to look at them which is annoying but fine, others are being renovated and I can't get in to see them and they can't provide me with a floorplan to see how big everything is so I can just decide anyway. Others apparently I need to view in person before applying despite the particular estate agent offering a billion detailed photos of every single part of the house.

...and yet these estate agents want silly amounts of cash in 'admin fees' when you apply for just typing your name in a database and phoning up a place to get a credit check on you.

Why is anyone associated with the sale or rent of housing so utterly incapable of doing anything to actually help out? I'm here, I have a stack of cash waiting to be given to the landlord so why is this so loving hard??

Get a place with a ramp and then let ur good friend bape culture use it :mrgw:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Who could have foreseen this series of events? :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phone posted:

Who could have foreseen this series of events? :rip:

Your constant lovely posting? We've seen it coming since you joined.

• Locked thread