Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Certainly if the company I worked for suddenly started paying me in excess of covering all my expenses for the foreseeable future my first reaction would be to walk away from it all because my coworkers don't deserve freedom from having to worry about financial trouble.

My second reaction would be that I no longer have any incentive to perform well at my company, because even if I did stay obviously the company would pay me that sweet sweet salary no matter what I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
That's a pretty interesting follow up to that article posted a few days ago about how employees feel their employers owe them nothing, and that you should give 110% no matter how bad your job is or how poorly paid you are. I'm starting to slowly go from being amused by this stuff to being legitimately afraid of the future. This is literally a story about people actively working against both their own best interests and the best interests of their peers.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I think it's similar to religious people thinking all atheists are evil horrible people. If there's no fear of God then what's stopping all the rape in the world?!

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*
These folks have had their minds poisoned by right-wing media so effectively and thoroughly I would almost admire their tactics if it wasn't so destructive.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I think it's similar to religious people thinking all atheists are evil horrible people. If there's no fear of God then what's stopping all the rape in the world?!

It's something I've noticed about supremely spiteful, selfish people, especially in politics: they tend to assume everyone's as spiteful and selfish as they are, and any indications to the contrary are false pretenses they hope will lull you into a false sense of security.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Paradoxish posted:

That's a pretty interesting follow up to that article posted a few days ago about how employees feel their employers owe them nothing, and that you should give 110% no matter how bad your job is or how poorly paid you are. I'm starting to slowly go from being amused by this stuff to being legitimately afraid of the future. This is literally a story about people actively working against both their own best interests and the best interests of their peers.
I started to read through that but only got about halfway before I felt physically ill. It's disgusting what 30 years of Reaganomics will do to people.

I'm sure somewhere one of the Koch Brothers is furiously masturbating while reading that same article.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't know if we still have a minimum wage thread, but here's what people think about that company that gave everyone a flat raise to $70,000.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/business/a-company-copes-with-backlash-against-the-raise-that-roared.html?rref=business

Eat the rich imo.

This is why I am so loathe to talk about charity, if our "friends" know how much we were spending on progressive charities I'd never hear the end of it. I told someone yesterday that I expect my name and number to come out of the Planned Parenthood hack and they said "You give money to them?".

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Mulva posted:

This is why I am so loathe to talk about charity, if our "friends" know how much we were spending on progressive charities I'd never hear the end of it. I told someone yesterday that I expect my name and number to come out of the Planned Parenthood hack and they said "You give money to them?".

:psyboom:

:qq: but, but, but private charities are supposed to pick up the slack for government in this horrible new world! :qq:

How the gently caress can people complain about someone allocates their own money?!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I work were everyone makes the same and no one hustles lol

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Klaus88 posted:

:qq: but, but, but private charities are supposed to pick up the slack for government in this horrible new world! :qq:

How the gently caress can people complain about someone allocates their own money?!

I had a minor windfall several years ago and decided to donate the majority of it since I didn't really need the cash. I got no end of poo poo from the few friends who knew that I did it. I don't get it either. I'm not even talking about particularly conservative people here.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Klaus88 posted:

Oh don't get them wrong, you can give to "good" charities like the local symphony or your church, but not PP or the ACLU.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

I had a minor windfall several years ago and decided to donate the majority of it since I didn't really need the cash. I got no end of poo poo from the few friends who knew that I did it. I don't get it either. I'm not even talking about particularly conservative people here.

You made them feel bad about themselves, because they feel like bad people/poor because they would have kept the money.

"Why are you telling me this? Are you saying I don't donate enough?"

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

he brought two different models for the sidemowers

Better not to have one mower covering the other in its grass trimmings. With these two, the grass will go outward from each side.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Joementum posted:

Chuck Grassley built an attachment for his rider mower so it can tow two other mowers.

This seems great as long as you don't need to turn.
It seems that when you do turn either a) the mowers will tip over or b) the side mowers will produce an incredibly uneven cut as they bounce and drag.

I guess like most republican things, the answer is to just stay the course.

Also it looks like he'll leave a small strip between the left side mower and the main mower.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
wrong thread

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 31, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Joementum posted:

Chuck Grassley built an attachment for his rider mower so it can tow two other mowers.

I wanna see a video of this contraption in action. Looks cool

The guy that build Tombstone for Battlebots did an AMA and was asked if Tombstone could double as a robotic lawnmower. That would be fun

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
And now on the lighter side: "Heartwarming: When This Terminally Ill 6-Year-Old Wanted To Run For President, Thousands Got Together And Made It Happen"

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

RevKrule posted:

This seems great as long as you don't need to turn.
It seems that when you do turn either a) the mowers will tip over or b) the side mowers will produce an incredibly uneven cut as they bounce and drag.

I guess like most republican things, the answer is to just stay the course.

Also it looks like he'll leave a small strip between the left side mower and the main mower.

You don't know what you're talking about. It's Chuck Grassley and he ought to know mowing.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

CannonFodder posted:

If Dan Lacey has a tasteful Hillary nude with strategic pancakes subwoofer chest armor then it's allowed.

Lacey is working on Hilary as Anya from Gears of War. <3

https://mobile.twitter.com/PainterPancakes/status/620833649592676352

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

DemeaninDemon posted:

You don't know what you're talking about. It's Chuck Grassley and he ought to know mowing.

I'd like to think one of his ancient lawnmowing ancestors, who was like some kind of unheard-of Leonardo Da Vinci of lawn care, came to him in a dream and bade him construct this marvelous invention.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
A part of me thinks it's funny how literally everyone is treating Trump as a joke candidate but he's not any better or worse than the rest of the bunch. He just happens to be very vocal and doesn't read from the exact same manual as everyone else.

I mean I've heard much, much, worse poo poo from the other goofballs but they're fine because it's the established view of the conservative movement.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't know if we still have a minimum wage thread, but here's what people think about that company that gave everyone a flat raise to $70,000.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/business/a-company-copes-with-backlash-against-the-raise-that-roared.html?rref=business

Eat the rich imo.

quote:

“Now the people who were just clocking in and out were making the same as me,” he complained. “It shackles high performers to less motivated team members.”

That's called work jackass. No matter how much you make compared to someone else you're always going to be shackled to people you don't like or don't think work very hard.

I imagine that over time the people who are considered more valuable will get further promotions and/or bonuses but even if that didn't happen you're still getting paid a great wage to do your job. Maybe stop worrying about everyone else and enjoy your big rear end raise. I can't imagine getting a raise from 40k to 70k and then being unable to think about anything but the crappy people in the office making as much as me. I'd be busy planning what I was going to do with my comfortable living wage to give a poo poo.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
While it's really unfortunate and conceited, I don't think it's all that weird that there were adverse reactions to that policy. It's pretty common behavior in humans to ask, "Why am I working so much harder with so much more responsibility but not being rewarded at a corresponding rate?" alternatively, "Why would I work to seek that promotion when it means more responsibility and stress but the same pay?" It's a bit demotivating.

Separately, while financial rewards may have a significant demotivating effect, it in itself may have limited motivating effects.
https://hbr.org/2013/04/does-money-really-affect-motiv

The dude would have achieved the same thing by jumping everyone's salary by $15,000 and avoided all of the bullshit.

Boon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 31, 2015

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Boon posted:

While it's really unfortunate and conceited, I don't think it's all that weird that there were adverse reactions to that policy. It's pretty common behavior in humans to ask, "Why am I working so much harder with so much more responsibility but not being rewarded at a corresponding rate?" alternatively, "Why would I work to seek that promotion when it means more responsibility and stress but the same pay?"

The dude would have achieved the same thing by jumping everyone's salary by $15,000 and avoided all of the bullshit.

Yea but I doubt there would be zero variation in the pay over time. He merely set a minimum of what everyone was going to get paid. It's not both a floor and a ceiling.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

DOOP posted:

I wanna see a video of this contraption in action. Looks cool

http://www.agriculture.com/videos/v/101446730/senator-grassley-and-his-mower.htm

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Yea but I doubt there would be zero variation in the pay over time. He merely set a minimum of what everyone was going to get paid. It's not both a floor and a ceiling.

That is probably true, but that brings about a whole new dynamic of uncertainty in and outside of the company. The guy had all the best intentions but went about it all the wrong way and basically instituted a business culture equivalent of psychological shock.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
If he's able to run a business that way then good. Shock and awe all the way.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Boon posted:

While it's really unfortunate and conceited, I don't think it's all that weird that there were adverse reactions to that policy. It's pretty common behavior in humans to ask, "Why am I working so much harder with so much more responsibility but not being rewarded at a corresponding rate?" alternatively, "Why would I work to seek that promotion when it means more responsibility and stress but the same pay?" It's a bit demotivating.\

if you're demotivated by the idea that someone you don't like is getting just a big of sack of cash as you are that's your problem, not that person's nor the cash-sack giver

interesting here how people got substantial raises and immediately started kvetching about what other people were being paid, like it was their job to give a poo poo. people are petty and jealous

this same attitude is why people are intensely angry about small scale welfare fraud like buying lobster on EBT when they couldn't even describe to you how financial fraud works, people are way more interested in policing their percieved lessors than their percieved betters

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 31, 2015

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

if you're demotivated by the idea that someone you don't like is getting just a big of sack of cash as you are that's your problem, not that person's nor the cash-sack giver

interesting here how people got substantial raises and immediately started kvetching about what other people were being paid, like it was their job to give a poo poo. people are petty and jealous

He said the behavior was typical, not good.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Buckwheat Sings posted:

If he's able to run a business that way then good. Shock and awe all the way.

Glorious Revolution will not utilize Shock and Awe techniques. It will meticulously spread across the land as the champions of capitalism systematically meet their end on the block, wall, or tree.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

You could read the link I posted. Or you could even read the full article where there is even someone quoted as saying they don't know that they deserve the raise and feel guilt and pressure to perform. Money isn't the sole issue at work here.

However, I hope it works out for him - this isn't something available to most businesses so it shouldn't be seen as a norm, but upward pressure on wage growth is great.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

DemeaninDemon posted:

Glorious Revolution will not utilize Shock and Awe techniques. It will meticulously spread across the land as the champions of capitalism systematically meet their end on the block, wall, or tree.

I envision a make-work program for The People to construct government buildings just so there are more government building basements to shoot subversives, counterrevolutionaries, and class traitors in.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

It's good to know that Grassley is kind of just another crazy old man like a bunch of other farmer types I know.

But then those guys don't have their hands on the levers of power...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Boon posted:

You could read the link I posted. Or you could even read the full article where there is even someone quoted as saying they don't know that they deserve the raise and feel guilt and pressure to perform. Money isn't the sole issue at work here.

However, I hope it works out for him - this isn't something available to most businesses so it shouldn't be seen as a norm, but upward pressure on wage growth is great.

i dont care if someone is so outdated as to think that compensation is directly linked to self-worth, that's just an empty emotional appeal as to why we shouldn't encourage a living wage

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

That's cool

Stuck to farming instead of politics Chuck

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

i dont care if someone is so outdated as to think that compensation is directly linked to self-worth, that's just an empty emotional appeal as to why we shouldn't encourage a living wage

It's an outdated line of thinking that was taught to just about everyone in the last few decades. Minimum wage started as a way to legally keep people from getting paid too little to survive, and it devolved into being derided as "Just for teens making spending money and people too stupid to be successful" and allowed to decrease in value until people today are forced to work multiple minimum wage jobs to survive. All over the country, you're told that making minimum wage is punishment for not being smart or talented or determined enough to get a good college degree and a successful job. Remember how often you were asked in high school "Do you want to be stuck flipping burgers all your life?" as a threat to keep you from slacking off?

If you get told often enough that how much money you make is entirely dependent on your own value as a person, you start to believe it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's good to know that Grassley is kind of just another crazy old man like a bunch of other farmer types I know.

But then those guys don't have their hands on the levers of power...

Neither does he, they're held down by rubber bands from the looks of things! :downs:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

It's an outdated line of thinking that was taught to just about everyone in the last few decades. Minimum wage started as a way to legally keep people from getting paid too little to survive, and it devolved into being derided as "Just for teens making spending money and people too stupid to be successful" and allowed to decrease in value until people today are forced to work multiple minimum wage jobs to survive. All over the country, you're told that making minimum wage is punishment for not being smart or talented or determined enough to get a good college degree and a successful job. Remember how often you were asked in high school "Do you want to be stuck flipping burgers all your life?" as a threat to keep you from slacking off?

If you get told often enough that how much money you make is entirely dependent on your own value as a person, you start to believe it.

Compensation, monetary or otherwise, is fundamental to humans and success... since like civilization has been a thing. The crazy thing is that we're not even arguing about what he did as being a good or bad thing or certain people being conceited, we're arguing about the psychology of it.

im a ski bum
Feb 17, 2011
I'm in Ohio and for the last week or so I've seen a touchy-feely commercial about how great being a Republican is. The ad is slickly produced and has been airing during network prime time. It says paid for by Opportunity New Media, llc. Anyone else seen this or know who's funding it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Luigi Thirty posted:

Eat the rich imo.

Wow, that dude is really dumb.

• Locked thread