Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The only thing Donald Trump cares about right now is getting Donald Trump more attention.

Maybe having an American Silvio Berlusconi as the head of a major political party would be fun for a change?

Not to actually elect, of course, but in a post-mayoral Rob Ford sorta way...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Here's a fresh and very relevant column for the next time some fuckhead bigot tells you racism is dead.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Hasters posted:

I think you mean "accidental" and the answer is racists and racist LEOs.

Well at least one was probably lightning, and one was bad wiring. Churches have lovely wiring all the time because they go cheap on the building fund.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Re-asking from the last thread because it was the last post before the thread closed:

Are HROD22 and HDR17 both Hillary in those emails and if so why is she using two addresses? Is she using one/device or something because that'd be kinda ironic.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Munkeymon posted:

Re-asking from the last thread because it was the last post before the thread closed:

Are HROD22 and HDR17 both Hillary in those emails and if so why is she using two addresses? Is she using one/device or something because that'd be kinda ironic.

Given the fax email I would not be surprised in the slightest if she forgot the password to one of them and just had a new one made.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

OAquinas posted:

All made in China. Which is par for the course (that Univision employees can't use) but not something that helps your image when you're running for President partly on bolstering US jobs.

If you're one of the drooling horde that's voting for Trump, is this really going to matter to you?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
In case you want to relive the pain of the 2000 election recount debacle the Month of Zen (the stream of every Daily Show episode) is talking about the beginning of the recount now. It's worse than you remember.

http://www.cc.com/events/month-of-zen/live.html

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So there was a brawl at the SC statehouse. Apparently 10 confederacy supporters rolled up in their confederate flag emblazoned trucks, hopped out, and got into it with 30 patriots. It isn't clear who threw the first punch at this time.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Fried Chicken posted:

So there was a brawl at the SC statehouse. Apparently 10 confederacy supporters rolled up in their confederate flag emblazoned trucks, hopped out, and got into it with 30 patriots. It isn't clear who threw the first punch at this time.

This fight from yesterday?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uXZ6uRyvvc

Maybe not clear who through the first punch but when you see the guy get out of his truck and charge the crowd it's pretty clear what his intentions were

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
In other news McCain was hit by a foul ball at a Diamondbacks game

Apparently that face from the debates wasn't a one-off

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
"Eject! Eject! Altitude! Altitude!"

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

Good Citizen posted:

In other news McCain was hit by a foul ball at a Diamondbacks game

Apparently that face from the debates wasn't a one-off

looks like a familiar face

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

mdemone posted:

So is that five arsons, and three accidental fires at black churches in just two weeks? What the gently caress is going on here?

Countdown to a GOP candidate or backer blaming it on god's wrath for marriage equality.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

703 posted:

looks like a familiar face

obama looks so young :(

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What the gently caress is it now where in every thread if someone makes a reference or joke to something, the next poster immediately exposing what the joke was? It's in every thread on every subforum. Everyone got the reference already!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

greatn posted:

What the gently caress is it now where in every thread if someone makes a reference or joke to something, the next poster immediately exposing what the joke was? It's in every thread on every subforum. Everyone got the reference already!

Severe autism.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

:thejoke:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

At least tell me the Confederates got their asses kicked.

You know, like last time they started a fight.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alter Ego posted:

Against a morally, personally, and numerically superior force, no less.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

He's talking about the American Civil War, fyi.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

FAUXTON posted:

:chord:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The blood on my shirt is nothing compared to the Southern blood that runs through my veins.

It's the same blood idiot. Hard to make a compelling and lofty rhetorical flourish when you're wearing a Realtree ballcap.

*Pericles steps before the Athenian Assembly. He adjusts his blaze orange hunting vest. The crowd falls silent*

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The raising of the minimum salary for an overtime exemption is getting very little play lately compared to the incredibly large impact it will have on people once the rules go into effect.

Of course companies will probably double down on the evil just in time scheduling practice as a result.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FAUXTON posted:

History truly does repeat itself.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

The raising of the minimum salary for an overtime exemption is getting very little play lately compared to the incredibly large impact it will have on people once the rules go into effect.

Of course companies will probably double down on the evil just in time scheduling practice as a result.

Few people will complain about getting stiffed on overtime pay if they aren't even aware they're entitled to it.

Since employers already commit flat-out wage theft on a regular basis, I won't be surprised if it takes repeatedly dragging them to court kicking and screaming to get them to comply with the new OT regulations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

greatn posted:

Well at least one was probably lightning, and one was bad wiring. Churches have lovely wiring all the time because they go cheap on the building fund.

Last I heard, those were the primary theories for the Tallahassee and Ohio fires. Does anybody have more current information?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Work just renomalized everyone's salary to a 35 hour work week with an hour lunch, instead of the 40 hour work week with assumed lunch. I can only assume the new overtime regs are related.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Strike

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Warcabbit posted:

Work just renomalized everyone's salary to a 35 hour work week with an hour lunch, instead of the 40 hour work week with assumed lunch. I can only assume the new overtime regs are related.

Pretty sure those regs don't even take effect until 2016, so they're either jumping the gun in loving you or loving you for some other reason.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Warcabbit posted:

That's the feeling of the cold, hard dick of Freedom sliding in down orifice.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

mdemone posted:

Last I heard, those were the primary theories for the Tallahassee and Ohio fires. Does anybody have more current information?

There hasn't really been any further reporting on the Tallahassee one, what with the tree that fell on the electrical line being reasonably obvious and taking place during high wind and high rain.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Pretty sure those regs don't even take effect until 2016, so they're either jumping the gun in loving you or loving you for some other reason.

What regulations are these?

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

mdemone posted:

Investigations are ongoing, but it looks like another one is on fire now. That makes 8 so far.

Forgot the link - http://time.com/3942688/black-church-burning-mount-zion-ame-south-carolina/

Time Magazine posted:

Three of those fires have been ruled arson, one was determined to be caused by a falling branch and faulty wiring, and the others remain under investigation. Several have been blamed preliminarily on lightning; weather in the South this week has been turbulent

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 1, 2015

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Few people will complain about getting stiffed on overtime pay if they aren't even aware they're entitled to it.

Since employers already commit flat-out wage theft on a regular basis, I won't be surprised if it takes repeatedly dragging them to court kicking and screaming to get them to comply with the new OT regulations.

Oh I don't doubt that enforcement won't be a series of court battles but it still is a massive step in the right direction.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

Oh I don't doubt that enforcement won't be a series of court battles but it still is a massive step in the right direction.

It absolutely will. After having worked in so many fast food places in high school and college it brings me pure joy to realize just how hard this new regulation will gently caress almost every major fast food chain.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I've heard a bit about this, but mostly how the "job creators" are bitching and wining. What are the specifics on the new regulations?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

scaterry posted:

What regulations are these?

Updating the minimum amount you have to earn before an employer can make you exempt from overtime pay. Now it is $23k or so and every drat fast food and retail establishment calls as many people as possible a manager so they can make them work 60 hour weeks whole only paying $24k salary. The new minimum is $50400, which brings it back in line with the original regulation adjusted for inflation.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Huh, I missed the new overtime regulations as well. No more hiring two people to do the work of three and giving them job titles like "Sub Vice Assistant Shift Managers" or some bullshit, eh?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Monkey Fracas posted:

Huh, I missed the new overtime regulations as well. No more hiring two people to do the work of three and giving them job titles like "Sub Vice Assistant Shift Managers" or some bullshit, eh?

It gets even better: the DOL is looking to clarify that to call someone a manager (and exempt them from overtime if they make more than $50k) they have to spend the majority of their time actually managing. So a "manager" can't be someone who does 20 minutes of shift scheduling a day and works the register for the rest of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

Updating the minimum amount you have to earn before an employer can make you exempt from overtime pay. Now it is $23k or so and every drat fast food and retail establishment calls as many people as possible a manager so they can make them work 60 hour weeks whole only paying $24k salary. The new minimum is $50400, which brings it back in line with the original regulation adjusted for inflation.

When I was working fast food in high school my manager was salaried at $500/week, no benefits. She routinely would work 60+ hours a week

• Locked thread