Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Megaspel posted:

I like your noses, simple but very clearly show the form. Do you do much life drawing or do you mainly use photos?

I've done an asston of life drawings, but haven't had the opportunity lately so I've been working from video + photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Over at the gay anime buddies party creating tiny ink sketches of young Nixon.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
Ehhh, got started too late and everything's stale. Bah.

I suppose I should post here at least a little, but my work is animu crap. Also stupid pinups all the time. No getting around that.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

genesplicer posted:

Three more stamps.
These are incredible!

sigma 6 posted:

Also didn't realize that liquin would give it a sheen.
Don't worry too much, oils dull out as they dry (even with a drying agent it will feel dry to the touch but still keep drying for a year or two)

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Slightly Absurd posted:

I've been trying to MS Paint along with Bob Ross lately

I must ask. Was the Goatse reference intentional, or is it that you have been on SA so long that it is subliminal at this point?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Sharpest Crayon posted:

OK, I need to know everything about this now. How do you transfer the pics onto the rubber? Is stampin' rubber something I could've been buying as huge slabs all this time? I love stamps! Even more than I love jars! Could I have been making stamps for myself ALL THIS TIME? :supaburn: Tell me your secrets!

Thank you! I did a thread years ago about how to carve erasers. It's archived at this point, so I'll need to find it. Basically it boils down to putting an image onto the material then carving away all the stuff that doesn't have your image. I use photocopies, then transfer the image with acetone. The material I use is Speedball speedy carve. When I'm done carving, I mount the stamp on thin plywood and stamp away!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I've been busy doing digital portraits lately.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

genesplicer posted:

Thank you! I did a thread years ago about how to carve erasers. It's archived at this point, so I'll need to find it. Basically it boils down to putting an image onto the material then carving away all the stuff that doesn't have your image. I use photocopies, then transfer the image with acetone. The material I use is Speedball speedy carve. When I'm done carving, I mount the stamp on thin plywood and stamp away!

Do you print with anything else? I found the speedy carve too floppy and annoying but linoleum is fun.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

:buddy:

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

genesplicer posted:

I must ask. Was the Goatse reference intentional, or is it that you have been on SA so long that it is subliminal at this point?

:laffo: -- unintentional. And unfortunately, it looks like the youtube video I based it on has been deleted. Maybe I should throw in a happy little ring, just floating right there in the sunset

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 14, 2015

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Hurrah, cats! :dance:

Man your linework is awesome, really characterful. Energetic and swishy while still being neat. Very nice.

And of course, cats.

Another dumb doodle from me again:

The bandit with nice new parachute pants doesn't realize it et, but his fancy new duds may have gotten him into a spot of bother.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
This is a compositing experiment using Corel Painter. I took a bunch of popular google search images and tried to blend them together.

Painter has a color picker function where the brush picks up underlying color real-time. It's far superior to blending in Photoshop, and even the blend tool in Painter.

The trick seems to be pulling just enough definition to make the detail pop, without pulling so much definition that it begins to look like a photo again. It helps to know what paint on canvas looks like.

The method I use is Quick Clone. This youtube tutorial covers it nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opFT8plEtPs

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

That birb is on such serious business it's unreal. :love:

Meanwhile in apocalypse-future, punk's not dead.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Life drawing night.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Sharpest Crayon posted:

That birb is on such serious business it's unreal. :love:

Serious birbness indeed. Here is a line cook on his coffee break:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

neonnoodle posted:

Serious birbness indeed. Here is a line cook on his coffee break:

I love your brushstrokes and color choices. This is awesome.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

dank memes

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

a hole-y ghost posted:

These are incredible!
Don't worry too much, oils dull out as they dry (even with a drying agent it will feel dry to the touch but still keep drying for a year or two)

Thank you. The liquin sheen is kind of obvious in the pic below. It is what is causing the glare. What kind of drying agent are your referring to?

My teacher told me tonight to cover the whole thing in liquin so the sheen is consistent... or cover it in a coat of laquer after it dries for a while. Not sure how long I should wait before using the laquer but I figure just using a liquin coat will be fine for now.

C&C welcome. I really don't like how the dragon isn't casting any kind of shadow but I am not sure where it should go.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Recently we had a goldmined thread in GBS where some amazing talented cool person was giving out MAD MAX style names to anyone who asked, I decided for fun to sketch out some of the names in the thread, I wanted to do more but the thread got goldmined before I could continue:-

1. LORD KNUCKLES CHAOTIX

2. GENERAL ULTIMUS

3. HELLEN KILLER

4. DORK CHOKEHOLD

5. DEATHS HEAD METAL GEAR

6. OUTLANDISH KEVIN

7. PERDITION JONES

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Al-Saqr posted:

Incredible arts including

4. DORK CHOKEHOLD

My favourite of the lot. So cheery and manic. How long did these take you on average? Did you make a sketch layer for the shapes first or do you just dive in?

The request here was a kitty with an umbrella, but the umbrella didn't work out so now it's a mushroom.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sharpest Crayon posted:

My favourite of the lot. So cheery and manic. How long did these take you on average? Did you make a sketch layer for the shapes first or do you just dive in?

Thanks man!

There are fast sketches, some of them I dived in, generally I drew a couple of quick gesture lines to figure out the placement/overall pose but then started sketching super on top of that on another later. General Ultimus took the longest just to decide on detals. I'd say on average it would be 20 minutes overall from testing out the ideas to sketching them out, General ultimus being the longest because I didn't know what design to take until a few drafts. These were done in breaks for fun, so I didn't pay attention to cleaning up the lines and kept things loose.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I did a pencil sketch of a tree growing through a piano. Landscapes and nature are new to me, so is drawing from real life, so any advice helps.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
It looks like you've done a lot of "faking it", where you've just put in a lot of random lines to show texture. Spend a lot more time looking than drawing. It can actually help to use your left hand which has much less muscle memory and it's a lot harder to use symbols and learned graphics to represent anything, meaning you're forced to examine the form and shapes a lot more. It'll be all over the place because it's your non-dominant hand, but it's a cool trick to practice with.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Done while watching a stream, celebrating the successful kickstarting of Shenmue 3

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

"His name is Herb"

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I've been at a drawing workshop last week. Learned a lot, produced some nice sketches but sadly also a lot of bad ones (they're in the self-taught thread if anyone wants to see). Proportions, anatomy and plants are particularly hard for me. I've been practicing every day since then. Here are some sketches of objects around my house:

A representative portrait of Tom Hardy :v:

Oh poo poo, which is the real one???

Practiced eyes. The bottom three are Steve Buscemi. inspired by Steve Buscemi:

In spite of all this, I will keep drawing. I believe it to be the path to drawing better. I'm also doing that r/ArtFundamentals thingy but I'm still at the stage where I fill pages with circles and lines so I'm not posting that here.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

E: 1 layer cooldown speedpaint

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 20, 2015

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I had a great day so I drew it.

Climbing a wall of butts forever.

Edited to add geigersalamander

Sharpest Crayon fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 21, 2015

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
When you're picking photo references, especially of faces, you want something with contrast in the lighting. It's hard to reproduce smooth, subtle gradients you see in magazine glamour shots and red carpet shoots. You also miss out on a lot of contour information.

There is more to study when you have nice three-point lighting (or some other form of dramatic lighting that isn't washed out).

After all, you're left with brightness to define forms in the absence of line.

I used line in these, and the shadows were the only things that I had to go on. I try to avoid line, and these were just for messing around as a palette cleanser (oh an art pun). Tracing like this is great when you want to draw something without having to think (or try). Trace-doodles, I guess. But you need something with contrast in the lighting.

For a picture of Tom Hardy I would go with something like these

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 21, 2015

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

That classic lopopodian, that classic worm we all know and love. That's right I'm talking about hallucigenia.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to understand and implement the ideas with mapping out figures from Bridgeman's book.

Most of the people around me were sitting, so I decided to concentrate on mapping out faces with concepts from Bridgeman. That and trying to draw solid lines instead of my usual frantic "petting" line style (crutch).

Then I wanted to do a fun quick doodle with the same idea:

It's rough, but I'm trying.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

A quick still life I yesterday morning. I did a brief study using the actual items and then did this study from memory. The link goes to a timelapse gif of the creation.

squirrelcop
Aug 21, 2006

Maintain Right
Been goofing around with cut-paper

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Establishing shot.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I did 2-minute gesture drawings last night after watching the Proko videos posted in the Self-Taught thread. I used charcoal instead of my usual pen or pencil. I was practicing exaggeration, intentional lines (instead of my usual "hairy" lines from "petting"), and drawing from the shoulder.

I managed to do 24 different poses before taking a break. It's weird going back and building fundamentals, but it felt good.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

warmups

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I was going for a plague doctor sort of thing but different.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
A combo of digital pics and sketchbook pencil sketches. Same rough principles, but I'm generally messier with the Digital.

First, some random facial construction/flat shade characters. Borak is an rear end in a top hat. Do not seek his approval.

The tavern maiden here has a smile that doesn't reach the eyes. But she still tries to cheer folk up.

A private dick, and another attempt at foreshortening and dutch angles with character design.

Aaaand a floating priestess because... Why the hell not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
You're petting your lines (making lots of small lines) instead of making deliberate, long lines. You should try to train yourself out of that habit!

I recommend trying to draw with a fineliner without making a pencil sketch beforehand. Being unable to erase and the fixed width nature of the fineliner make it easier to learn how to make deliberate, thought-out lines instead of chickenscratch bullshit.

• Locked thread