Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

Reene posted:

lizardsnakelady

I would love some pointers on how to render scales and make the hijab-thing look less horrible.

You can go very minimal and still convey the presence of scales:

Or you can go considerably less minimal, but still avoid rendering every detail 100%:

There's a lot of ways you can handle scales. In the end, the best advice is probably the usual: have reference and do studies of actual critters. Experiment and find what works and looks best for you! There's not only so many ways to handle scales, but there are so many varieties of lizards and snakes that it really depends on what you want. I mean, the coral snake study up there has smooth, diamond-shaped scales along the body, but something like a bush viper has more pointed, leaf-like scales.

It's just a tried and true method. v:shobon:v Sorry it's a bit unhelpful to the actual rendering part. That really does depend on what you want, sometimes it is just as simple as some shapes dotted out. Or it can be as overly messy as "put down undercolors, outline shapes, blend shapes inward, erase chunks, just frickin slam the eraser against the tablet repeatedly, etc".

Generally though:
- You can trim a lot of fat and get away with just some clever stippling and/or erasing here and there.
- Try to be conscious of where the drawing stands. eg. you can render lots of/each and every scale if you've got the desire and patience for it, but it's easy to hit the point where all those details end up visually distracting from the whole.
- For real do studies and have references.

Dreamy Souffle fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread