Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I've been at a drawing workshop last week. Learned a lot, produced some nice sketches but sadly also a lot of bad ones (they're in the self-taught thread if anyone wants to see). Proportions, anatomy and plants are particularly hard for me. I've been practicing every day since then. Here are some sketches of objects around my house:

A representative portrait of Tom Hardy :v:

Oh poo poo, which is the real one???

Practiced eyes. The bottom three are Steve Buscemi. inspired by Steve Buscemi:

In spite of all this, I will keep drawing. I believe it to be the path to drawing better. I'm also doing that r/ArtFundamentals thingy but I'm still at the stage where I fill pages with circles and lines so I'm not posting that here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Delta Echo posted:

For a picture of Tom Hardy I would go with something like these

Thanks, I'll give that a try. This kind of "trace-doodling" is what I do for most of my drawings, especially portraits. It's a habit Betty Edwards has hammered into me and that I'm trying to get out of by drawing more consciously (and reading a fuckton of other books on drawing).

Here's a thing I made two days ago. I drew a sketch first and then I put away the plate and worked some more on the drawing without reference, just trying to make it look realistic. It didn't change much, but I think it got better in some areas.

SKETCH

IMPROVED VERSION

I still hate ellipses.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
I just bought like five books on drawing so there better be web tutorials for that or else good ellipses will have to wait a bit longer :v:

I'm still struggling a lot with the right balance between measuring and loose sketching. I always feel like if I measure too much I will fall into a habit where I just copy, and if I don't measure I will end up with an unrepresentative result. That said I learned some things about this flower and tomorrow I will go back outside and try different approaches for drawing it, from various angles, and maybe also to construct it from imagination.

And when I'm done with that I'll spend two more days learning a different flower.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Went back to the flowers and tried different approaches drawing them. The bottom six are from imagination.

Wanted to focus on different parts and angles today but then the black smudge at the bottom happened and now I think I need a change of subject because obviously I can't be arsed to draw that loving flower again :v:

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Delta Echo posted:

My beginning painting prof frequently critiqued our paintings for looking like stickers. Without incorporating a form into its surroundings, it looked very much like a sticker on the canvas. It was especially true when the form started with an outline that remained visible.

If you want to help your sketches look more grounded on the page, you can fade them into the page with a gradient. This also removes the hard outlines. There are some lines on the inside of the forms, and you can treat them the same way. On the flower to the right, I started darkening and blending the line within the form.

The result would be different if I was using graphite on paper, and I could blend the graphite more effectively. I hope what I'm trying to demonstrate makes sense despite being digital and scratchy.

I didn't get to do much drawing in the recent days so I can't post anything yet, but before this thread gets closed I just wanted to say thanks for the advice and I'll definitely try this out. When I was at that drawing workshop my teacher chided me for never including any kind of environment or background context in my sketches and this seems like a nice, easy way to work around those problems.

• Locked thread