Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

neonnoodle posted:

Serious birbness indeed. Here is a line cook on his coffee break:

I love your brushstrokes and color choices. This is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Entenzahn posted:

I didn't get to do much drawing in the recent days so I can't post anything yet, but before this thread gets closed I just wanted to say thanks for the advice and I'll definitely try this out. When I was at that drawing workshop my teacher chided me for never including any kind of environment or background context in my sketches and this seems like a nice, easy way to work around those problems.

Yeah it's always nice to think about composition instead of working with isolated objects. Sometimes a minimalist background can do a lot to improve a piece.

Take a look at work by an artist like Rembrandt Peale or Robert Henri who do lots of portraits and you can get some examples of effective but minimalist backgrounds.

• Locked thread