Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I did a pencil sketch of a tree growing through a piano. Landscapes and nature are new to me, so is drawing from real life, so any advice helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've been trying to understand and implement the ideas with mapping out figures from Bridgeman's book.

Most of the people around me were sitting, so I decided to concentrate on mapping out faces with concepts from Bridgeman. That and trying to draw solid lines instead of my usual frantic "petting" line style (crutch).

Then I wanted to do a fun quick doodle with the same idea:

It's rough, but I'm trying.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I did 2-minute gesture drawings last night after watching the Proko videos posted in the Self-Taught thread. I used charcoal instead of my usual pen or pencil. I was practicing exaggeration, intentional lines (instead of my usual "hairy" lines from "petting"), and drawing from the shoulder.

I managed to do 24 different poses before taking a break. It's weird going back and building fundamentals, but it felt good.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
More drawing exercises, this time done out and about. I did warm up blind contour drawings and then gesture drawings, then decided to try my hand at a new challenge.

The figure on the right started as a gesture drawing from a person at the bar I was at. I plotted out the face and then drew in the details with pen, trying to do solid lines instead of petting. The person left before I could get the details of the face, and it's the worst part of the drawing.

The figure on the left was conceptual, using a made-up gesture and I plotted exaggerated features. I'm not happy with the ear placement or the lower half of the body.

The bar I go to has a shark head on the wall, and I thought that would be fun to try and draw. Sharks are scary. Also gesture drawings.

Still practicing the actual planning of a drawing and drawing from the shoulder.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Delta Echo posted:

Tips for tree/piano drawing.

This was awesome and I really appreciate it! I'll go back and play with the drawing with your advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Started with a sketch of a person that I saw, inked in the lines, colored with watercolors, went back and added more variety to the lines with a micron pen.

• Locked thread