Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The only double-think that helps you really understand God is to know that both 'all lives matter' and 'no lives matter' - but Evangelical Christianity is all about earthly life, denying history, and rationalizing the worst of human behavior by cherry picking from their dead idol.

If you see through the scam I hope it won't close you off entirely to the truth of the Kingdom of Heaven.

quote:

If I listen to negativity in overcoming, I'm "sinning" - I'm doing something against my Father's House. I am separating from my Father's House and the appointee that He has designated. That "sin" itself has to be taken from me - another note taken by His Representative, who says, "Just acknowledge that what you're doing is self-destructive to you and acknowledge what it was and we'll get past it. Don't worry about it. Forget it - it's gone, it doesn't exist." Then we have to drop it. We have to forget it! if we expect to eradicate it. Lucifer does not want us to forget anything negative, even if we make progress and make progress. He wants us to remember it. He will even say, "It'll do you good to remember those things as lessons," so that you will say, "I learned those lessons." It doesn't do any good to dwell on the negative. When you acknowledge it, and you admit it and you say, "I want to go on," that's the same thing as asking for forgiveness. "I want to go on. Here it was, this was wrong. I can see how it was destructive to me. I don't want it, I want to go on. Will you accept me still as a student? Will the Next Level accept me"? Because all your teacher can say is, "Well, I'm afraid I've got to go ask my Older Member, and we'll see."
And that usually doesn't take much time. Sometimes, on the spot, the Older Member can speak through the vessel and say, "It's done, it's behind you. It's gone. You can forget about it!"

Hope and Change isn't going to come from a Caesar - it can only happen when enough people open their hearts to a living God and are willing to lay down their lives rather than perpetuate a system of intimidation, privation, and fear. But sadly there is enormous programming - both genetic and 'psychic' - constraining each and every one of us from following Christ's example.

Mc Do Well fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Animal-Mother posted:

Cue the scene from Life of Brian where they ask what the Roman empire has ever done for them.

There is a Donald Trump inside all our heads

He must be destroyed

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I have been reading The Nag Hammadi and can highly recommend it. If the Bible is the 'word of God' because He directed all people and events involved, is that not true of all history and culture? 'ET', 'The X-Files', and many other 'trivial' things show hints of divine inspiration just as the Gospels do.

quote:

Five hundred fifty days after he rose from the dead, we said to him, “Did you depart and leave us?” Jesus said, “No, but I shall return to the place from which I came. If you want to come with me, come.” They all answered and said, “If you order us, we’ll come.” He said, “I tell you the truth, no one will ever enter heaven’s kingdom because I ordered it, but rather because you yourselves are filled. Leave James and Peter to me that I may fill them.”

One of many interesting examples of a Cosmic God who is beyond any human perceptions or concerns:

quote:

“Trust in me, my brothers. Understand what the great light is. The Father does not need me. A father does not need a son, but it is the son who needs the father. To him I am going, for the Father of the Son is not in need of you. “Listen to the word, understand knowledge, love life, and no one will persecute you and no one will oppress you other than you yourselves.”

quote:

Those whose names he knew at the beginning were called at the end, as it is with every person who has knowledge. Such names the Father has uttered. One whose name has not been spoken is ignorant, for how could a person hear if that person’s name had not been pronounced? Whoever remains ignorant until the end is a creature of forgetfulness and will perish with it. Otherwise why do these wretches have no name, why no voice? So whoever has knowledge is from above. If called, that person hears, replies, turns to the one who is calling, and goes up to him. He knows how he is called. That person has knowledge and does the will of him who called. That person wishes to please him, finds rest, and has the appropriate name. Those who have knowledge in this way know where they come from and where they are going. They know as one who, having become intoxicated, has turned from his drunkenness and, having come to his senses, has gotten control of himself.

This one is particularly interesting, as the ~1000 year recycling period that the planet is in could be a Sabbath bookending the past 6000 year 'age' of human civilization:

quote:

Understand the inner meaning, for you are children of inner meaning. What is the Sabbath? It is a day on which salvation should not be idle. Speak of the heavenly day that has no night and of the light that does not set because it is perfect. Speak from the heart, for you are the perfect day and within you dwells the light that does not fail. Speak of truth with those who seek it and of knowledge with those who have sinned in their error.

There is a sin in diluting, or adulterating, truth - agnostics and atheists are intelligent people who have the freedom to evaluate what is out there, make up their own mind, and perhaps take off their scarlet letter.

quote:

Then the Savior continued and said, “Woe to you, godless people, who have no hope, who are secure in things that do not last. “Woe to you who hope in the flesh and in the prison that will perish. How long will you sleep and think that what is imperishable will also perish? Your hope is based upon the world, and your god is this present life. You are destroying your souls. “Woe to you with the fire that burns within you. It is insatiable. “Woe to you because of the wheel that turns in your minds. “Woe to you because of the smoldering within you. It will devour your flesh visibly, tear your souls secretly, and prepare you for each other.

quote:

Again I warn you, you who exist. Be like those who do not exist that you may dwell with those who do not exist.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
People who read the Bible as the literal word of God would tell you that the holy spirit was acting through the authors and editors. But couldn't that be true of any piece of media/culture that can connect an audience with the divine? Speilberg claims the Christian elements of 'ET' were not intentional, maybe the Kingdom on God was quietly at work with the production team.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

As an atheist who grew up trying to be Christian, there is some good stuff in there, but I think the issue is too many people can't reason out what your saying, and take things at face value, without trying to learn the "don't be an rear end in a top hat" lessons

Which is why the Kingdom of Heaven returns periodically to 'refresh' the message. They used science fiction to create parables for humans that want to overcome their animal characteristics in order to approach the divine.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The most common arguments for Christianity being the one and only true religion can generally be applied to any religion. Buddhism not so much because the Buddha didn't claim divinity, he just said the truth was there and he found it and shared it. Even so it's a logical conclusion starting from false premises in the end.

It also involves circular logic. The Bible says that God is infallible. The Bible is perfect and true because our infallible God dictated it and He can't make mistakes

That's also confirmation bias at work. It's why people see the works of God everywhere.

When it doesn't make much sense they just say that God works in mysterious ways.

I'm certainly not claiming Christianity is the one true religion - all religions (or belief systems) are less than true. The Kingdom of God is more 'real' than this reality is, one way to look at it is 'The Matrix', but the older Gnostic idea was Christ as the guy who can come and go from "Plato's Cave". Human perceptions and record keeping are imperfect media and religions are 'afterimages' of visitations (Buddha being one example). These are impressions I have gotten from Ti & Do's information and I could be wrong about any number of details. But I'm sure Ti & Do saw 'ET' and it was like getting a call from home.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Even 'Hook' has a divine lesson if you know how to look at it

Do - 'Beyond Human' Session 6 posted:

Oh, while I'm thinking about a movie, I have to bring up that the class recently saw the movie "Hook," and it was interesting. Of course, Hook represents evil, or Satan, and Peter Pan represents the good guy. When Hook had Peter's rightful son in his presence, he wanted really to see if he couldn't get Peter's children to see him as father and to imitate him. He didn't have much success with Peter's daughter. She couldn't quite stop doing anything but missing Peter. But because the son didn't really understand much about Peter as his father, the son for awhile "bought into" Hook, because Hook gave him so much attention and elevated him so, as does Satan. He gives you a lot of attention. He elevates you so, and he even lets you imitate him. He can give you all kinds of success and authority and power and things of this world. But as soon as Peter came back in the picture, and Peter's son really began to see Peter for what he was, the son apologized to his father, and he said, "I'm yours. Hook is not my father." And he quickly realized how much he had gone astray. And, of course, Peter felt guilty, because Peter felt like he hadn't really let his son know him. That what his son knew of him wasn't enough to win him. So, Peter certainly understood how his son could go for Hook. Well, I'm sorry. I had to bring that illustration up. It was a good one. And the movie had a lot of good parallel lessons in it as far as the conflict between good and evil are concerned.

'Contact' and 'The Fifth Element' were both released in 1997

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvVRzfh_d1I

You can make up your own mind.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Do and the class certainly weren't lazy or 'New Age'. They all lived without sex, booze, or drugs - and believed strongly enough to lay down their lives. If you think about it the ritual of baptism is a kind of 'brainwashing' - representing both an individual and collective overcoming of bad habits.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Shbobdb posted:

Adult baptism is one of those totally weird things because "in-universe" it's totally insanely evil.

Yeah it isn't about performing a ritual like a literal baptism - it seems more a mind set of starting fresh. A primary concept from the Next Level is 'Check Partners' which has been adapted into the human condition as marriage - individuals are paired off so they don't take any action without at least checking with each other if it seems right to do. It isn't about genitals or reproduction, it is more about complementing each other to be a more 'positive/productive unit' - to risk sounding 'new age' or 'scifi' or whatever.

An interesting little episode from 1897

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

You'd think if the next level or whatever was as wise as they say they'd have found a better way to communicate than crappy movies, a suicide cult, and the ramblings of a manic depressive.

You're free to give things that negative spin, sure. But it all happens for a reason.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Prester Jane posted:

For what its worth I just wanted to say that this post feels eerily like looking into my own past. I'm just a random rear end in a top hat on the internet and not an expert, but in my opinion you should give some thought to seeking professional help McDowell.

Thanks, I do see a shrink and take an SSRI, but I really think there is something to be said about the UFO Two. They weren't brainwashing kids or anything sinister - anyone who really is interested in their information can look into it while it is available online. Everything is a little subculture these days, the contradiction in race war-driven, Trump-voting 'Christians' has to be reconciled with the real message of what the Kingdom of God is and how it has strict requirements for entry. Zapffe's 'Last Messiah' has been somewhat realized. Some people would rather enjoy their 'Holy War' meme.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Mass suicide is pretty sinister.

Death is an important part of any worldview. IVF and assisted suicide are subjects that religions claim authority over. Norms have to come from somewhere.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I know my worldview isn't universal, most people are programmed by television to believe in nothing but the self, which is what has allowed Trump to go so far. He is the culmination of amoral material values, an idol if you like. It is clearly exposed how 'Christians' really worship objects here on Earth (money, flags, genes) instead of honoring the God of the universe. Atheists and agnostics are usually quite intelligent, they can make up their own mind about their scarlet letter.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

So what was to blame for people not worshipping God the right way before the advent of the TV? Radio? And before that, was it the printing press and movable type? What about before even that, was it the concept of written or spoken language? I mean, you've gone on record saying that glasses and prosthetics are a creation of the devil because they let people focus on the material, so it's hard to know where you'd draw the line.

Besides that, the age of TV as society's boogeymen is long gone, you're supposed to blame microchips and the Internet for everything bad today. Get with the times or nobody is going to take your cult seriously.

Nice strawman. I am talking about a message that transcends all media, including our brains. I previously mentioned how augmented reality can become a sort of 'blinder' for social control and you've decided I'm a militant luddite.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No I was discussing augmented reality and hypothesizing that in the near future people with fully functional eyes will be expected to filter reality through a camera/computer - which is even more dystopian than Orwell's viewscreens. Restoring sight and mobility to people who lack them was part of Christ's mission. Science is making these miracles common, which is why Ti & Do came back to fulfill prophecy and update our understanding of Heaven.

When someone tells you to 'get with the program' it is worth asking what that program is and who devised it. One can embrace popular darwinism where subgroups compete for dominion or one can choose to turn inwards to select which values and beliefs pass 'the smell test'.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
All religions or belief systems are less than truth, now that Ti & Do are gone even their information is being 'adulterated' so this effort of mine is futile. I'm not suggesting any kind of utopia here on Earth - indeed coming to terms with the impossibility of such a thing is a stepping stone to the bigger picture. While religions illustrate our existence as a battleground between good and evil, it seems to me our time on Earth is a debugging process where individual determinations of truth/error or right/wrong are evaluated. One can see how mainstream evangelism is a program that perpetuates the error of ego and dominion.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WrenP-Complete posted:

Okay. McDowell, I know nothing about Do and Ti and I suspect you may say that information I might get from Wikipedia or Google Scholar would be biased in some way. Could you please tell me what these people (and/or their group and philosophy) mean to you? Secondarily, since the conversation is my primary goal here, so hearing about personal meaning is most important, if I want to find out more, how could I educate myself?

Nah you're fine looking things up on your own - I am trying to act as a relay to remind people of the Away Team, there is a recent book about the cult by Benjamin Zeller which is a fairly level-headed secular take on things. You can also read the site and the all the videos are on youtube under the 'HeavensGateDatabase' channel.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
This is a nice record of when Ti and Do first came public (then using the names Peep & Bo - looking for their sheep). Looking at world events since 1997 I can see how this world is being recycled, and I have placed myself in their keeping.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BrandorKP posted:

Dude existence is what we got, and our being is not something to give up for the ideal. The ideal isn't the real.

Then Jesus said to all of them, “If anyone would come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it."

Individuals who question authority (both religious and secular) have a little spark of insight toward overcoming this world - but must also deal with the risks of rebelliousness (Lucifer isn't some cartoon devil - He was a being of light). I'm not suggesting anyone can put on a superman cape and fly off the nearest roof - just passing along information so individuals might be 'aware' enough in some future incarnation to recognize and connect with a Next Level Representative.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Catharism is an interesting subject, their ideas aren't too different from Ti & Do's information - I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some members of the Away Team were incarnate at that time and place. Some of them had been on this planet for the entire age (the past 6000 years) being 'born again' many times as they developed under the supervision of the Next Level. You might imagine how one's mind/spirit is tested in various circumstances - witnessing the Sermon on the Mount, building a 'heretical' church in the 12th century, and joining a 'cult' in the 20th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

Please get help.

'Beware of false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. By their fruit you will recognize them.'

I once met some Unification Church recruiters in the Newark Train Station, they asked me when I thought the second coming would occur and I already knew that it had happened in the 20th century. The Away Team wasn't here to judge and act righteous - everything has some value as a 'stepping stone' - you can make up your own mind and get control of your vehicle. Unlike Sun Myung Moon, Ti & Do aren't about an institution with a collection plate, a bake sale, and Sunday School for the kiddies. Which Golden Rule are we living by - the one spoken by Jesus or Keith David in 'They Live'?

Lggody was a member of the Away Team who wrote this essay - he was a Colorado Republican in 1975 who met Do and never looked back.

• Locked thread